Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Great thread A+ would read again.

cool to see the drunken barfight pic out in front of the double deuce that closed down the streets so the cops could wank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Athanatos posted:

San Diego would still be in the viewing area and it's not like they are moving a flight away.

It's 1/2 of a name change and maybe less going to home games. Die hard Charger fans would still make the trip to see games I would hope.

It's not like it's a new timezone and you have to stream every game from now on and struggle to find team gear to buy near you. The team is the same, just in a slightly different spot.

I think people in the city are pretty pissed about how they've been strung along. Fabiani went from, "oh hey, we're working on it" to "gently caress you we're bouncing to LA, and the mayor, the porters, and the hotelers are idiots" in like a span of 3 days. And then it turns out this plan was in the works for a while. I'm not a Charger fan, I just live here, but people feel pretty annoyed and exploited, especially the die hard season ticket holders who probably renewed on hopes that they could work it out.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
This Carson press conference makes it seem like this whole thing is a done deal.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

SA2K posted:

As a season ticket holder, it just really really really loving blows, man

Sorry 2k. I feel for you. But we knew this was coming deep down I think. The city didn't do enough and the Chargers didn't want to stay badly enough to bridge the monetary gap.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

I've lived in SD my whole life and I never understood hate for LA. It's always used as some kind of bogeyman for us, and I don't get it. Both places have cool things and lovely things. But they're both more similar to each other than not

LA is crowded, smoggy, and overall pretty lovely and tough to park in. They also drive like a bunch of assholes. People there weren't trained to use a blinker ever. I don't feel those things about San Diego.

Konstantin posted:

Have they solved the traffic issues? From what I understand weeknight games in any location that isn't downtown would cause massive traffic jams that would last for hours and affect large areas of the city.

That planned Carson spot actually isn't too bad as far as LA is concerned. I think the freeways there could probably handle that as you have multiple outlets.

thompson fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 20, 2015

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I never really understood the traffic concerns because other than like one MNF game and one TNF game a year it would all be on Sundays and who gives a poo poo then?

LA is unlike any place i've ever been in terms of traffic. Not even NY compares. There are just so many cars on the road that adding another 80,000 people all at once makes a difference. A 20 minute drive on the weekend can easily take you two hours with the right set of circumstances. An NFL stadium certainly fits the bill. If 3 teams move with two stadiums and you have the same kickoff time? Whoo doggie that's a lot of people. They'll really have to find a way to get Amtrak involved to help in some way.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I honestly don't think San Diego will cave. I don't think Faulconer cares enough and it's the 2/3 majority vote to approve funding that's the problem. He's too busy trying to right the mayor's office after the who Filner debacle to deal with this. From the beginning I thought the Bolts would have to find more money to put in and they haven't. They've tried to couple their efforts to the convention center so that the city will care (from an elected official standpoint) and it just isn't happening. They tried to funnel through the hotel tax, but anyone who has stayed down here knows that that is really high already at 10.5%.

thompson fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 20, 2015

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

SA2K posted:

I have no idea why it needs to be a city vote. It should be a county vote.

This looks like it helps. I'm going to read this right now, but in case you're wondering. I'm a little hazy on specifics and i'm drawing on stuff that I hear on my hour ride home to Carmel Mountain so it's not exactly 100% accurate.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/2/20/8077563/how-to-keep-the-chargers-in-san-diego

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
So to paraphrase what I read, the Chargers need to make up 800m on a hypothetical but reasonable 1.2b stadium. They use Qualcomm as a hypothetical site because the land is already owned. I guess the Chargers are only really open to throwing down 200m of Spanos' money and 200m on the NFL Staduium loan program. You then have to come up with 800 m which would be proposed through a sales tax hike or an income tax hike (neither of which are likely to pass with how high state tax is already). The backup option for financing is a move from 10.5% in the transient tax to 15% which is ridiculous to me. Either financing plan has to be approved by a 2/3 vote. Considering 1/3 of the county actually tunes in and youth voter turnout, I truly have my doubts.

That's even if they can decide on a loving site. The clock is ticking and they don't even really have that.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

SA2K posted:

I have to imagine e that the combined contributions from the NFL and the Spanoses is more than 400m

I would think so too. That seems quite light. Do we know how much they have pledged to the Carson location? I know they said they only pledged that much because of "market opportunity" but I don't remember how much it was. There's also an interesting read about potentially bonding out 200m of the stadium which has precedent with the Convention Center. There's a number of creative ways to do this, but i'm afraid they all involve taxing the public in some way and 2/3 is a lot to ask for there.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

SA2K posted:

The same Padres that can't fill one tenth of their stadium unless the Giants or Dodgers are in town?

Reseller markets up 81%. YOU HOLD YOUR TONGUE! :)

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
God qualcomm is such a dump.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

SA2K posted:

I guess now they're focusing more on the Qualcomm site in mission valley than the downtown site.

Are they going to destroy Qualcomm? Because where the hell are the Chargers going to play in the meantime? USD...:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

So what you're saying is that California, though beautiful and awesome, is gross and lame.

I love it here and have never lived anywhere else. That being said, it's not all glitz and glamor as shown on tv. The state's drought is pretty horrible and has me doubting the longevity of me living here. The state is also flat broke so taxes are sky high. You have to put up with a lot of poo poo to get 75 degree weather every day, but in the end I think it's worth it.

• Locked thread