Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SA2K posted:

It's a major city to a major city. It's like moving the Jets to Philadelphia

San Diego would still be in the viewing area and it's not like they are moving a flight away.

It's 1/2 of a name change and maybe less going to home games. Die hard Charger fans would still make the trip to see games I would hope.

It's not like it's a new timezone and you have to stream every game from now on and struggle to find team gear to buy near you. The team is the same, just in a slightly different spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SA2K posted:

You don't think Seahawks fans would be mad if they moved the team to Spokane? Or if the Browns or Bengals moved to Columbus?

Mad? gently caress yes. 100%

Abandon the team like chicken little? Probably not.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SA2K posted:

As a season ticket holder, it just really really really loving blows, man

It loving sucks and is terrible and the stadium sharing is just an extra lovely topping, I'm sorry if I implied it any other way.

I was just befuddled by so many Charger fans saying they are done with the team if this happens when I look at a map and it doesn't seem like a fandom defining move.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Frackie Robinson posted:

Seems like we'd save ourselves a lot of grief if we built stadiums to last 500 years.

just build the field in a valley and let the people stand on the grass and hills around it.

gently caress this concession stands and seats and video boards

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Ross Angeles posted:

So next Wednesday, the CSAG (Citizen Stadium Advisory Group) plans to release their financing plan to both the mayor and the Chargers, a plan they've been working on for the last several months. Bits and pieces of it are starting to leak out:

-The plan is supposedly for a 1.3 Billion dollar facility on the Mission Valley site.
-The Chargers and NFL will each contribute $250 Million (They've both already publicized this)
-Both the city of San Diego and County of San Diego will contribute $120 Million each
-Development of the surrounding area (ala the Petco Park method) will pay for the rest of the stadium as well as pay the city and county back.

If this isn't good enough to get them to stay, they weren't going to stay for anything.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Chinatown posted:

This is the loving best they could do? faaarrrtttttttttttt

This looks pretty boring, so it's going to be exactly how it is.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The Rams location would look pretty cool in overhead shots, but no matter how cool the stadium people arnt going to Rams games.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

NC-17 posted:

Every middling team in the NFL is just one decent QB away from a packed stadium.

I'd wager STL does not follow this rule. Even during the Greatest Show on Turf years, it was kinda like "This is nice, but when does baseball start back up?"

They'd need something more than decent to pull numbers.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

JRizzle posted:

Uh, what?

The Dome was rocking in the GSOT days. Just look at the boxscores for the games from then. Early in '99 they weren't selling out because they were terrible the season, but later in the year and through 2001, they sold out every game.

I dont think even a decent QB would get STL back to that point though. It would take a really loving good team to pull them away from baseball again.

Even sellingout every game it still felt like a baseball town at the pinnacle of NFL-dom in the city.

And at this point so far down, it's a long way to climb out of the fan hole they've dug themselves.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sure I've said it before, but The London Raiders could be a thing.

The Raiders are just getting good again, lets not set them back by loving their timezone.

Though I guess maybe they'd have a better advantage for the home games so it would even out.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Ross Angeles posted:

And do all this next January?

We are getting that Mexico City MNF game right? Just keep playing this dance out till they move one of the 3 there.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Apparently the two options on the ballot are Chargers and Rams to Inglewood or Raiders and Chargers to Carson, and that's it.

Chargers :smith:

Is there a 3rd "No" option?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
We can embed tweets just in time.

https://twitter.com/LATimesfarmer/status/687053586665050115

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Now if they could change their colors back my throw back LA Rams blanket is back to new.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Sorry JRizzle

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Which one of those stadium renders was the winner?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
We can hope the Rams go back to the Yellow and Blue colors.

It sucks for both teams, but I assume people who live in San Diego will still be able to watch the LA Chargers on tv, STL Fans are going to get more Bears games on tv...

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Nail Rat posted:

Indianapolis is closer to St Louis than either city and I think Cardinals fans would rather die than cheer a Chicago team. But probably chiefs

I'd guess all the Southern/Central Illinois TV Stations split between Bears and Titans

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Ross Angeles posted:

I'm more upset that my team is leaving because I had season tickets and they played a mile away from my house.

2 hours away isn't that bad, we have a ton of Rams/Bears fans that live here 2 hours away from St Louis/Chicago who have season tickets. Sunday just becomes 100% that football game. There is no go to the game and get other stuff done.

Fake Edit: not that that makes it any better your team moved, just tossing similar things out there.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Current Rams colors are fine and dont look bad. Their old colors are unlike other teams and really pop.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

zen death robot posted:

I'm happy that I'll be able to watch bad football that isn't the Rams next season

Well, lucky for you that the LA team is going to get 90% of the primetime games now.

NFC East and Rams all the time.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
So this means 2 LA teams right? Or is there some other darkhorse Chargers landing spot?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Do a barnstorming tour of 8 Cities for 8 Home Games. The one that sells the most merchandise gets the team. 8 different CITY NAME Chargers jerseys to sell in powder blue.

Let South Dakota see a NFL game live or some poo poo

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Tzen posted:

Got around to reading some official press releases/PR and,

WHO WE ARE

THIS ISN'T ANY CITY. THIS IS LOS ANGELES.

LA IS PEOPLE AND PLACES AND PASSION AND PRIDE.
ANY RESPECT GIVEN, MUST BE EARNED.

YOU SHOW UP WITH A DREAM.
THEN WORK HARD TO MAKE IT COME TRUE.

SO, WE FIGHT.
EVERY PRACTICE.
EVERY PLAY.
EVERY SINGLE INCH.
ON EVERY FIELD.
IN EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD.
FOR ALL OF LA.

WE WEAR LA ON OUR CHEST.
WE FIGHT FOR IT WITH OUR HEART.

FIGHT FOR LA.

:lol:

This is just an IMDB quote from Battle: Los Angeles

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
You know that part in movies/tv where someone views something horrific and puts their hand over their mouth and you think...nobody ever does that for real.

I just did that at the color swap.

There is no way they looked at the backlash and went "Oh, the colors are the Dodger colors, that's what everyone is on about." I cant imagine someone doing that.

It has to be a money thing right? "We spent 2 billion dollars designing this...cant give it up now...flip some colors to those powdered blue!"

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

corn on the cop posted:

Arash Markazi

@ArashMarkazi

I was told the Chargers will never use this logo again. It will go down as the shortest-lived logo in sports history.

Wonder how much they paid for it

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

quote:

In January, Raiders owner Mark Davis filed an application to move the team to Las Vegas in time for the 2020 season.

That is a long time for a lame duck team to play in front of fans in Oakland

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

whiteyfats posted:

The cheerleaders should just be legit strippers.

The XFL is back, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

a neat cape posted:

David Eckstein is better than Barry Bonds

Turns out SA2k is a secret STL Cardinals fan.

• Locked thread