Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I did not notice any threads relating to this so I am just starting a new thread.

I am pretty sure I am going to get an offer from an ecommerce firm in NYC to be a project manager. I have a master's degree from a business school in management with a focus in marketing/brand management and I have experience at an ecommerce/marketing firm in the account executive role.

I see myself, down the line, working at a luxury/fashion brand in marketing or in brand management. I am trying to lay the ground work now to make sure I have all the relevant experience and know-how to make sure I can make an easy transition into a leading fashion/luxury brand down the line but as of now with my experience I either get stuck into a marketing position at a company that I am grossly over or under qualified for. Seems I have too much experience for an associate position and not enough for a mid-level marketing position.

I am curious what a career path looks for as a project manager. I have done some project management before in the past as an account executive at my old firm and I am not really that in love with it but I do understand why it is important. I am just a bit worried that if I go into a project management position that it pigeon holes me into a career path where I am focused more on managing projects and teams versus doing marketing which is what more of my interest is in.

The easy answer is to simply find a marketing position at a company that I like and go for it but I am currently located in California and applying to fashion/luxury companies in New York is very hard as an out-of-state applicant. Most of my ex-clients were all big fashion brands so I do know the industry but it is very hard to get picked up by a fashion brand while being out of the city. I have had several HR people tell me that they need to move quick on positions. I see this project management position to be able to get myself back into the city, get some experience and then pivot into a different company in a year or two.

Has anyone here worked as a project manager and gone on to do something else? I am in my mid-20s so I can still able to mold my career a bit before I get locked in on a direct career path. Hoping someone here has some insight on this and what they did after they were a project manager.

Thanks

TLDR: What does a career path look like after being a project manager?

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What field do you work in currently?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

sellouts posted:

What field do you work in currently?

Finance / real estate. Leaving it to go back into marketing or project management.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
If you are looking at marketing and project management then product management is a path you could go down. Product Managers aren't pigeon holed and project management is a great skill set for them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think you're on the right path, or better than staying in your current role. Ecomm is pretty universal.

I work as a project manager in another niche industry. My title is different but that's a major aspect of day to day. I've gotten offers to do marketing across the board. Run online departments, handle integration at an agency, manage ecomm platform utilization etc. When you work and know a niche the networking and experience make it easy to move around in roles. What's your ultimate goal and how does being a project manager pidgeon hole in your mind?

I do think it's really hard to break into a niche industry. I have a hard time interviewing people with no prior experience but love our brand/product. I just need people to "get it" so they can onboard easily. Most of the time that's through previous experience. Especially given that between nepotism and trusted referrals or internal hires most roles have at least one favorite candidate sometimes before it's even fully developed. It's doubly hard to hire someone sight unseen from across the country. I'd rather deal with what's in front of me easily.

But hey, I don't work in fashion so it may be different.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I actually was on the path to pursuing PM work. When I was studying my associate's degree this teacher who had connections told me I would be perfect for the work. So I busted my rear end over the course of 6 months trying my best to learn the ins-and-outs of how to do the job.

Unfortunately, the teacher who recommended it to me was extremely arrogant and gave me next to nothing to work with; no clear examples of how to put together a proper business proposal, how to utilize any kind of scheduling software for setting up timelines, or even a conversation with any professionals working in the industry.

As a result when it came to presenting I flopped because I really didn't know what the hell I was doing, no thanks to him. He just expected the students to teach themselves from nothing, and because of that he ended up losing his job for being such a lovely teacher. I didn't even get the lead he promised me when I started the journey, and for this kind of field you need to work your way up into it through another job.

It's really soured my motivation and interest in this field, but it did clue me in on how much work it takes to keep things running. Essentially your job is to make sure everyone else gets their job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Thanks for the replies, very appreciated everyone.

• Locked thread