Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Jesus H. Irrational Christ.
Alright, so putting aside the author's supposed ignorance on logical issues (because I'm really not qualified on that), let me shout this question into the void: Why Harry Potter?!

The best part is that he's never actually read Harry Potter, only fanfic of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Yud is cramming his whole story into just the first year, so a few events from The Philosopher's Stone show up, but nothing beyond that.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

When Yud!Harry finds out about Parseltongue/talking to animals, he is aghast that he might accidentally eat a sentient creature.

When he finds out about unicorn blood, he is aghast that no one is breeding and slaughtering these sentient creatures to prolong human lives.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I guess to summarize, I doubt any of you would be desperate to hate this story so much if the author didn't have such a big head.

This is correct. There's so much bad writing out there that if Yud wasn't head of a rationality cult phyg, HP:MoR would've just fallen through the cracks.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It'd still be a story featuring an insufferable, egotistical prick as the hero.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

If your foreshadowing just comes off as you being a lovely writer, you're probably a lovely writer, hth.

And that's assuming that Yud had actually planned that twist from the start. It's really obvious from how the first few chapters are written that HP:MoR started as just some side project that Yud only started to take it seriously after it received so much attention.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 26, 2015

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure Yud has literally said Harry is based on himself when he was younger.

Plus, y'know, all the giant infodumps about science and rationality Yud forces through the mouthpiece that is Harry.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

How is reinterpreting the grim reaper look-alikes as personifications of death 'very clever'?

Especially when they can't actually kill anyone?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It was editted, but he was unwilling to compromise on certain points, so it will still be that chapter.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

Also, "surprise sex." Really.

It should come as no surprise that Yud is a huge :tvtropes: fan.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

su3su2u1 posted:

They might hate stilted writing, or badly paced plots. The story is pretty much a disaster, the only way I can think of people enjoying it is if they are "riding along" with Harry as a power fantasy.

This is why I enjoyed it on my first reading.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

No, it's him being a smartass and letting her think he did something when the drink did it itself.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ohhhh, it's 3^^^3 dust specks, not 3^3^3^3? In that case I agree, the torture option is obviously the morally correct choice.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

More seriously, yes, friendly AI isn't some crazy idea. Science fiction has toyed with the idea of artificial minds overthrowing their creators for probably a century by now, to the point where everyone is aware of it. The problem is that Yud claims to have more than science fiction to contribute here, and he doesn't. He has unitless utilitarianism and a fetish for Baye's theorem, and that's about it.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Specifically, Yud's research team, the Machine Intelligence Research Institute.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It's also unbelievably stupid because it's the "well what if I multiply it by INFINITY? :smug:" trick they love so much. Hell, that's the entire sum of Yud's arguments about cryonics right there.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

If I had to guess I'd say it'd be around the point where they let him drop out of middle school.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It's someone else. Yud is merely dumb enough to contact Daniel Radcliffe to try to get permission to publish it.

e:

And this is why I have such a beef with this fanfic. There's a lot of dumb fanfics, but I draw the line at spreading misinformation and fostering a fanbase of smug, self-righteous "rationalists".

Telarra fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 11, 2015

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

No, no leaks. We know he lost a bunch and called it quits because he posted so himself, albeit after a hundred paragraphs of patting himself on the back for the times that he won, and holding up himself as a paragon of motivation.

Big Yud posted:

There were three more AI-Box experiments besides the ones described on the linked page, which I never got around to adding in. People started offering me thousands of dollars as stakes—"I'll pay you $5000 if you can convince me to let you out of the box." They didn't seem sincerely convinced that not even a transhuman AI could make them let it out—they were just curious—but I was tempted by the money. So, after investigating to make sure they could afford to lose it, I played another three AI-Box experiments. I won the first, and then lost the next two. And then I called a halt to it. I didn't like the person I turned into when I started to lose.

"An experiment is totally still valid if you cut off the results once you stop getting ones you like, right?"

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

He used lojban in one of his short stories, and yes, he hosed it up pretty royally. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some lojban-derived spells mangled beyond recognition buried in MoR somewhere.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Does Dumbledore's voice just sound really off to anyone else?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

There's no way the italicized introduction was there from the start, but archive.org doesn't cache fanfiction.net, and the cache of hpmor.com only goes back to early 2012, with 70+ chapters.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Don't forget he believes we'll find a way around thermodynamics solely because he really, really wants to believe he'll be immortal see his dad again.

:smith:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Trasson posted:

All of this crap speaks to Harry Potter magic being a learned discipline where someone needs practice, focus, and dedication in order to accomplish great things.

So the complete, total opposite of how Yudkowsky sees the world.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

He was upset that his holy Bayes Theorem gave him an answer he didn't like, so he decided that causality must be wrong.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

I think it's somewhat childish to take someone's work and basically misinterpret it to argue your own points. You can get away with it if you have a deep knowledge and appreciation of the source material, I think, but Yud clearly doesn't.

Probably the best example of this is how he makes Dementors the embodiment of death.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

No one is arguing for golden silver magic bullets, they're saying that unsolved problems are not a reason to abandon an entire field of inquiry.

But don't let that stop you from proclaiming your superior maturity, and projecting your specific fears of death onto others.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

And on a more snide note, perhaps granting rich white guys immortality would be how we can make them give a poo poo about the fate of the planet.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't know where you're getting this "magic solution" idea from because no one (not even Yudkowsky) is suggesting that that will be a thing.

Yud totally does, it's one of the fundamental tenets of his organization. Both that it will magically happen (better software/ai makes it progressively easier to make even better software/ai -> at some point "the AI goes foom" as the graph asymptotes), and that it will magically solve everything (a god-AI able to reason from first principles the best solution for absolutely everything, and able to manipulate humans into carrying out its plans). He imagines their role as ensuring that this AI god comes to pass, and that it is "friendly".

Telarra fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Case in point; Yud believes that sufficiently powerful AI will overcome thermodynamics, so the heat death of the universe is not an endpoint for his hyperimmortality afterlife

It will also overcome entropy, so he can see his father again.

:smith: