Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I've made the same argument about fanfic to a good friend who writes it. He didn't really have a good answer, but I reckon part of it might be that you know there's an audience for it - 'Harry Potter-but-with-Y' is an easier sell than 'Y', and there are (presumably) a ton of sites where you can trawl for people who love 'Harry Potter but with...'.

Not to mention that even mediocre writing makes yours 'best fanfic evar' rather than 'mediocre story'.

e: Having said that, I quite enjoyed this. It's fun to see an utterly different take on HP, though I refuse to believe he's never read the original. Unless he's watched the films and basing it off them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Velius posted:

Honestly, I can see some reason for this to exist. One of the really off parts of Harry Potter to me was always how utterly devoid of curiosity or joy the characters were with magic. Especially Harry/hermione given their background; the idea that kids find magic so utterly dull and uninteresting that it's drudgery to learn, say, transfiguration or whatever just seemed really off key. As if it's just intended to make it more familiar to kids in mundane school.

From that standpoint, taking the existing IP and trying to "improve" it is at least sensical. But the 11 year old Godel Escher Bach loving AI theoretician Harry Potter is completely nuts. There must be some middle ground of reasonableness that doesn't lead to head conversations with hats that become self aware because of how awesome your internal monologue is.

Velius posted:

self aware

Good point (especially about Hermione), but I think you answered yourself.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Captain Mog posted:

Aren't there some now-famous authors who got their start writing fanfic? It'd certainly make signing a book deal easier if you can approach the publisher and say "My Buffy fanfiction has like 30,000 followers and they're all excited to read my own story".

I believe 50 shades of grey started out as a Twilight fanfic. :eng99:

e: Quote != Edit. Unless it's Bayesian.

e2: Can we just change the thread title to :eng99:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 22, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Harry is the author's best guess at what a human is like.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
What is 'like'? Is 'like' rational? :geno:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Is his dad rich? I was getting "pretentious douche with airs", but that might just be the, uh, default.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:smuggo: Let me tell you about the inherent flaws in your banking system based on the ones discovered in the system I'm used to, and how 'loving magic' isn't a valid excuse.

:orks: gently caress it, team death eater, eat the rich, hang him from the lamppost.

(Iirc, Rowling was Oxbridge educated, which kinda explains the flaws in her banking system :v:)

e: This line-by-line reading is making me pay attention to a lot of the things that I guess I'd just tuned out on my first reading. I remembered him being smug-as-gently caress, but read it more as a 'this is what it'd be like if everyone acted smarter', rather than pure smashmouth.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 25, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:shrek:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'm coming to the conclusion that Yud'd be a pretty good comedy writer if he wasn't trying to prove how smart he was - the 'just dicking about' sections are pretty fun, and smartass Harry is much more likable than logical overlord Harry.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"Ah, Mr. Potter. Awake at last. I see that your so-called 'rationality' does nothing to protect you from the sleeping draught that my minion so... adequately... slipped into your drink."

"Uhh, whu? Buh bahes..."

"Yes. Yes, Harry. I may call you Harry, yes? You see, through much cunning and wickedness of deed, I have contrived a state of affairs where you, the oh-so-logical one, are now my prisoner. MUAHAHAH-"

"Nuh-uh"

"AHAHAwhat?"

"I'm not your prisoner."

"What."

"You see, before I came to Hogwarts, I cast a little spell of my own. Perhaps you've heard the name 'Bayes'? No? Nevermind. Using the 'magic' of Bayes, I predicted the outcome of every situation I could arrive in. Logically, had any of those situations been negative, such as this alleged capture, I would have taken steps long ago to ensure it's prevention. So, you see, I cannot be your prisoner. Given that we are both trapped in this room, he-who-shall-be-quantified, you must therefore be my prisoner."

The guards stand up, applaud, then shoot Voldemort.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 2, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still don't get where he's coming from that McGonagall doesn't know what science means. The wizards aren't stupid, they're just for the most part ignorant of muggles advances. But there is a science to chemistry, and Potions are just wizard chemistry infused with magic.

I think he means a (systematic) attempt to find the rules that make stuff do what it does. The implication is that every new potion made is done by pure guesswork instead of by learning and applying known rules. How he'd know that is beyond me.

Mixing poo poo together isn't chemistry, chemistry is the rules that let you figure out what'll happen without necking a pint of strong acid, or why sodium towels don't work.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"Yer a loving wizard, Harry."

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
The sorting hat just giggles for five minutes then catches fire.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Hey guys, can you tone down the active discussion of spoilers, I'd kinda like to be surprised by the :roboluv:.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Conversations like this are one thing I really like about hpmor, Harry thinks like a gamer, and asks the awkward questions we're asking. I'm guessing the only way he won't break the game is there's lots of arbitrary limits?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
So these beetles have loving jet engines in their arse, and don't use them to do something lame like, say, escaping, but instead use them to melt your face?

There isn't enough :black101: in the world.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I read Harry's lapses of spergin rationality as "he aspires to be purely rational, but is actually a ten year-old geek, with all that entails". I don't think he's intended to be The Perfect Logic Boy, more The Boy Who Tries.

That or the author isn't very good at rationality :v:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
...really?

It doesn't seem too bad, either. Well, given the source materiahahaha, nope, just got to the horribly editied in dialogue. This is awesomebad!

:magical:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
To be exactingly fair: this Harry is closer to a real Rationalist than Rowling's Harry is to someone kept in a cupboard under the stairs:

Me? No, I love monkeys, why do you ask? posted:

Harlow et al. reported that partial isolation resulted in various abnormalities such as blank staring, stereotyped repetitive circling in their cages, and self-mutilation. These monkeys were then observed in various settings.

Yud doesn't accept your argument that Rowling was writing a kids' adventure story and not a torture/horror story.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Added Space posted:

This story is crap and and our hero is an insufferable douchebag.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Again, having not been exposed to LW, the second paragraph seems pretty decent to me: "I did a big thing that a ton of nerds love, lets see if we can raise some charity cash with it" is a statement I find hard to mock.

It's like Yud has the same sudden shifts Harry does, lurching from 'rationalist' joyless ubermensch to kinda-decent-dork. Funny that.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:ohdear: Am I the white knight? I don't want to be the white knight. And for Yud, especially...

e: Can we make JWKS read Fifty Shades next? :haw:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Please tell me 'sigularitarian' is a real thing?

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularitarianism

:downs:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 10, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Oooh, is he a libertarian? Can I donate in bitcoins?

Cos if so, I got a Bingo!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

10 - print ":eng99:"
20 - goto 10

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

JosephWongKS posted:

Do I need to have read the Twilight series first, or can Fifty Shades be read on a stand-alone basis?

Honestly, I struggle to see any relationship between the two, despite knowing 50's origin before I started. As is the fine tradition of fanfic. Also following tradition for fanfic, it's bad.

quote:

"His voice is warm and husky like dark melted chocolate fudge caramel... or something."

:effort:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

quote:

"Oh, Harry," Petunia whispered. She knelt down and hugged him hard, face to face, their cheeks resting against each other. Harry could feel her ragged breathing, and then he heard a muffled sob escape. "Oh, Harry, I do love you, always remember that."
So he made a guess. "Mum, you know that I'm not going to turn into your sister just because I'm learning magic, right? I'll do any magic you ask for - if I can, I mean - or if you want me not to use any magic around the house, I'll do that too, I promise I'll never let magic come between us -"

A tight hug cut off his words. "You have a good heart," his mother whispered into his ear. "A very good heart, my son."

Paging Dr. Freud...

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
What bugs me on this isn't that Yud is wrong - it's that it's such low-hanging fruit. Quidditch blatantly exists just so there's a sports hook in the books, and that's cool. The original star wars had lightsaber fights so that there's a fight scene. And that's ok. Pointing out the Snitch flaw is like mentioning that Vader and Luke are pretty crap with swords - it's (deliberately) missing the point, just to score an easy 'victory'.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Just realised what I'd forgotten / why this is that chapter. Can I take back anything positive I said so far?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

chrisoya posted:

Imagine what it takes to persuade Yudkowsky to edit.

As a strict rationalist, Yud was surely more than happy to look at alternate ways of doing things, I assume? :v:

E:

Added Space posted:

He spends his time being a total dick to everyone around him, starting a cult, commenting on how much smarter he is then everyone in the world, and stealing his advisers' girlfriends.

Yud was a monk?

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 17, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"The first thing that a google results in is their fanfic" is a pretty damning argument.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
It's a lazy way of showing Draco's damaged brain, but mostly it's jarring coming from someone who's supposed to have been tutored in politics and manipulation, it's crude in every sense.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Legacyspy posted:

What is about this story that makes people so upset? angry? IDK but clearly there is a lot of hate for it and its not clear to me why.

Same reason you boo the villain in a pantomime.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
The english language.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Look, the hungarian one just hit students against each other till the toughest one is left, ok? Besides, it builds moral fibre... **mutters about public schools.**

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

su3su2u1 posted:

People who like HPMOR think Harry is a "badass" and self-insert into his shoes. They even read the sequences, so that when Harry condescends to the sheeple (I'm sorry "NPCs") they can condescend along with him.

Naww, for me it was 'have a weekend in a tent in the sun, want something dumb to read'. It's fun in the same way as airport novels with big skulls / snakes / bullets / flags embossed on the cover - you don't ask any hard questions, and it makes amusing noises and bright lights for a bit.

It's the writing equivalent of a one-armed bandit. Yud is the guy in the bar who insists on showing you his Foolproof Method to get a jackpot.

If you want an actually good novel, why are you buying in the spinny-rack in the flight lounge? (That is a metaphor for fanfiction.)

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

quote:

You have to really know what you're doing to do science - and when you really understand something, you can explain it to someone else.
:ironicat:

e:

JosephWongKS posted:

Just off the top of my head, we’ve lost the recipe for the ancient Romans’ cement, which is much more durable than modern Portland cement - the Colosseum is still standing more than two thousands years later while buildings constructed with Portland cement wear down much faster. I’m sure there are many other ancient arts that we aren’t able to replicate in modern times.
Damascus steel & Greek Fire. Chemistry seems to have not carried on too well from generation to generation. Guess those classical blacksmiths/chemists/builders must not have really known what they were doing. :shrug:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 20, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I want to work out a program to randomly select each paragraph from one of the two fanfics, and then display them as a single story.

Can you smell what the Malfoy is raping?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Hey, at least he beat his brothers and got out of the tag division.

e: "It's pronounced div-aah."

e2:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 20, 2015