Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
[Solved]

Thanks for all your help

Jet Ready Go fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Humanities covers language stuff. But you need a University degree or 10 years experience.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I have an employer lined up to sponsor me (non teaching position) but I was hoping to understand the nuisances behind the types of visa I should be pushing for.

It sounds like I don't meet the requirements for humanities.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
You would be under humanities. Visa categories in Japan can be pretty drat broad. I work in finance and have a humanities visa, other guys with a science background doing similar jobs have engineering visas, etc.

But no undergrad and no long term experience == no visa

You should be worried, because you will be refused a work visa. You're hosed and you're going to have a lot of difficulty because you moved before getting your poo poo worked out. Go home and finish your undergrad or maybe see if you can transfer to a Japanese uni nearby.

Either way you can't just stay and change to a working visa because they won't give you one.

Also this doesn't deserve a separate thread, as all the people who would know about this are in the Japan threads anyway.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Jet Ready Go posted:

I've just signed a contract to a new place for renting (1 year minimum), and so, it's really not feasible for me to turn around and go home.

Why would you do this or any of this without securing the visa first?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Why isn't the company doing it for you if they are sponsoring you?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Aredna posted:

Why isn't the company doing it for you if they are sponsoring you?

I'm the first foreigner they've hired actually so we are both thrown for a loop as to which visa best suits me.

Madd0g11 posted:

Why would you do this or any of this without securing the visa first?

Student visa still active but limits my hours worked. Employer wants more hours out of me which would require a working visa.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Jet Ready Go posted:

Student visa still active but limits my hours worked. Employer wants more hours out of me which would require a working visa.

Maybe you and your employer should have reviewed the requirements for the visa and consulted an immigration lawyer before sinking all this time and money into things.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah, just to pile on with everyone else, you are screwed. Best case is to transfer to a Japanese university or perhaps just a language school to extend your current visa, if possible. But then you will be limited to the 28 hours until you get a degree. Without an undergrad degree, or 10 years experience, it doesn't matter how much a company wants to hire/sponsor you, they can't do it. I've seen people with actual undergrad degrees currently studying Japanese in Japan get denied a work visa because the job wasn't closely enough related to the major, even - though that's a bit unusual I think.

Comedy option is to buy your way in by starting a company in Japan - though you need to seed your company with 5,000,000 yen, and have a valid business plan, office, Japanese employee, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Be aware that once you finish your studies, the university will automatically send a letter to immigration informing them that you are no longer studying with them and thus no longer meet the requirements for a student visa, it doesn't matter whether or not your home university cares, it's 100% an immigration issue. If you did have the appropriate qualifications, you would be able to change to a "designated activities" visa while your paperwork was being sorted out. As you don't meet the requirements and are no longer studying, you're technically staying in the country illegally. Usually not a huge problem or anything for a few months or so, but since you moved far away from where your university was it'll be a problem if someone does decide to look you up for whatever reason. If you're primarily working there and the government finds out somehow, both you and your employer will be in big trouble.

• Locked thread