Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the dupe glitch in oblivion is cool because the physics engine doesn't know what to do with a thousand objects in the exact same space and does different things each time. maybe it explodes, maybe they all stack neatly and topple or balance in an arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Doctor Goat posted:

the dupe glitch in oblivion is cool because the physics engine doesn't know what to do with a thousand objects in the exact same space and does different things each time. maybe it explodes, maybe they all stack neatly and topple or balance in an arc

I like when they sort of levitate and items trickle out the bottom of the stack like it's a faucet of watermelons or calipers or whatever.

I also liked loving around with the levitating paintbrushes, climbing up on top of untextured buildings, and dropping enormous quantities of garbage into the streets

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the first bandit npc many people will encounter is a hostile bandit outside the ayleid ruin on the island

he is a redguard who carries a watermelon. i am not sure if it's hardcoded

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
People bitch about Oblivion not being obtuse enough and casualizing the Elder Scrolls series. But Morrowind was made before we had a treasure trove of internet wikis that tell you where to go and the wikis are what people are going to use anyways if they get stuck.

Seriously the Steam Morrowind faqs will lay out who you can't kill so you accidently don't break a quest.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Have they ported over the Big Dicks of Skyrim content to Oblivion yet?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Taint Reaper posted:

People bitch about Oblivion not being obtuse enough and casualizing the Elder Scrolls series. But Morrowind was made before we had a treasure trove of internet wikis that tell you where to go and the wikis are what people are going to use anyways if they get stuck.

Seriously the Steam Morrowind faqs will lay out who you can't kill so you accidently don't break a quest.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Seriously all the hate I see about Skyrim and it's mostly people who are mad they can't break the game out of ignorance or accident. Morrowind has a ton of GO TO quests like Skyrim and the combat was the dice rolling randomizer.

I explored the hell out of Skyrim even to the point where I got to the unfinished quests and had to install a fan patch just to complete them.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Seriously all the hate I see about Skyrim and it's mostly people who are mad they can't break the game out of ignorance or accident.

this is a serious missing feature imo

the rare case where it's doable on purpose isn't even fun

the reason oblivion isn't obtuse is because there isn't anything to really obfuscate. it's the same with skyrim.

i'm not saying morrowind is good in combat or anything but it has a good design philosophy of "here's a billion toys have fun" and i miss that

in morrowind it's stupid to have a guide on who you can/can't kill because it's pretty obvious and the game tells you if you mess up

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 24, 2015

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i restarted the game with a witch hunter, its better than an assassin. are all the soldiers supposed to get owned to gently caress by the scamps when you retake kvatch because that's what happened

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Seriously all the hate I see about Skyrim and it's mostly people who are mad they can't break the game out of ignorance or accident. Morrowind has a ton of GO TO quests like Skyrim and the combat was the dice rolling randomizer.

I explored the hell out of Skyrim even to the point where I got to the unfinished quests and had to install a fan patch just to complete them.

there is a poo poo ton of stuff that sucks about skyrim compared to morrowind, mostly how skyrim is bland as poo poo and dragons are like loving cliff racers but all the worse for it because they're intended to feel ~epic~

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like that Skyrim never hides anything behind skill requirements, so you don't have to worry about having enough lockpicking to see the whole game. I don't like that there's not anything interesting behind locked doors.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

BALMORA COUNCIL CLUB REPRESENT

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Likewise, it bugs me that Morrowind goes "here's a ton of freedom of movement and exploration" and then goes "unless you don't have enough lockpicking points ha ha ha ha ha."

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Stealing someone's entire set of gear owns but you can't do that until 100 in Skyrim but you can't pickpocket in the other games so eh

Lockpicking in Morrowind is usually either knowing the proper alteration spell or buying a scroll of Ondusi's Unhinging or something

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah and it's a product of its time, I just don't like lockpicking systems that just require you to have X lockpicking points. Skyrim's open approach to skills is neat, but Morrowind still does most other things better. And neither game made combat fun. If anything it was slightly less tedious in Morrowind. I remember spending less time running backwards.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I don't like the lockpicking in Morrowind at all, it was butt and trash and being able to bypass it is the only thing that makes it tolerable

I like it when you can try something super hard and do it if you can handle the minigame being harder

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

One more way Kingdoms of Amalur is better than Skyrim. Except their magic rune minigame sucked.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Amalur had a lot of potential and looks good but once you play it ughhhh, how did it go so wrong

It's so impressively bland

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
risen 2 was the best elder scrolls game

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Morrowind isn't optimized on Windows 10 and there's going to be no real way to run it smoothly without hours of emulation deuchery.

The people who have tested it on Windows 10 are maybe getting 1-2 fps. And you're also getting texture bugs.

End of an era, end of a dram.

Gotta say though for the majority Skyrim's places were rather samey, but all the major areas hit it out of the park.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Morrowind isn't optimized on Windows 10 and there's going to be no real way to run it smoothly without hours of emulation deuchery.

The people who have tested it on Windows 10 are maybe getting 1-2 fps. And you're also getting texture bugs.

End of an era, end of a dram.

Gotta say though for the majority Skyrim's places were rather samey, but all the major areas hit it out of the park.

openmw just fixed the most major bug

https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1443

it'll be in the next version

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I murdered Umbacano and all his guards and stole all his Ayleid equipment which is just vendor trash for me mostly, that sells for 1/5 its value because none of the fences have any gold. Looks like next up is The Ultimate Heist, which sounds very rewarding.

Duane Walker
Sep 10, 2010
I got OOO and made a monk it's a lot of fun to punch mudcrabs to death.

also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YECdOTzZOZc

Sounds like a Rainbow song and I'm p into that ityw

Dec 26, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

risen 2 was the best ___

disagree

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Doctor Goat posted:

I don't like the lockpicking in Morrowind at all, it was butt and trash and being able to bypass it is the only thing that makes it tolerable

I like it when you can try something super hard and do it if you can handle the minigame being harder
the problem with this is that lots of these minigames are way too easy after you get the hang of them, the speech minigame in oblivion and the lockpicking on fallout and skyrim are examples of this, I would beat those pretty much infallibly, no matter how hard.

Sometimes it does feel like lockpicking is essential but I recall fallout 2 and 3 having alternate science and speech routes for most stuff. Besides, if anything, most stuff was "locked" behind waves of enemies that you would only beat with high combat skills.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
that's not a problem with this, just make them really really hard and it gives you a use for the billion lockpicks you have laying around

durr i cant figure out how to use this lock that have 5 tumbler instead of 2 tumbler, how i lock

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

oblivion just get the unbreakable lockpick and then you can just spam x to force open any lock in the game

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

oblivion just get the unbreakable lockpick and then you can just spam x to force open any lock in the game

There's no reason not to do this as soon as you reach level 10 or whatever.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The statues will be all arranged for me when I murder Umbacano and take over his house later, which is nice.

i like your 10 year long murder plot so you can get some nicely arranged statues

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
bethesda games are a combination of kleptomania, casual murder, and house decoration (and dressup and a few other things but let's face it those are the important ones)

combining all three in one fell swoop is a+ grade play

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm going to install oblivion and 10 gigs of mods and go to town

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I pity the fool that installs loving winblows 10
Lol if you use any version later than 7 really

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I'm going to install oblivion and 10 gigs of mods and go to town

Last time I said this to myself I cancelled the installer halfway through when I remembered how poo poo the game is.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
must-have mods if youre interested in turning the game incredibly not gay:
- fcom (mentioned (francisco's, martigen's, oscuro's))
- deadly reflex
- the titty mod
- the unofficial patch
- the mod that makes quest rewards scale with your level after you get them (how it works normally is the quest rewards have versions for level 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, and 25, and you get the one from your level rounded down and it never changes)

anyway the game is still basically garbage even after these fixing a lot of problems so next what you do is you slam on as many hosed up and retarded mods as you can and then uninstall and play morrowind or skyrim

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Just install Midas Magic and spam cheese blizzards until the game crashes

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I just got to the great part in oblivion where you have to help the 2 guys fight a load of goblins attacking their farm, and when the goblins show up the just stand there ignoring them and die

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I remember when Oblivion came out and the lovely starforce DRM would make my disk drive flip the gently caress out every time I tried to play the game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
my favorite moment in oblivion's plot is when you're defending bruma and there are dozens of guards and they all yell "For bruma" except they only have one voice actor so they just stagger it a little

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I got the Elder Scroll for The Ultimate Heist but the game crashes when I try to leave the palace. I guess I'll just Astral Recall out and console update the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

vug posted:

I pity the fool that installs loving winblows 10
Lol if you use any version later than 7 really

YOSPOS bitch!

• Locked thread