Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
April 28, 2008

In a tragic blow against innocent people everywhere the jury handed Hans a guilty sentence of first-degree murder. What a travesty.

Sure Hans looked guilty, but the prosecution failed to argue a solid case proving Nina is dead and Hans killed her. The OPD worked on proving Hans innocent, to the exclusion of pursuing alternate leads and suspects. Why did the judge (who is known among local legal professionals as being notoriously pro-prosecution and was obviously biased against Reiser from the start) not allow Sean Sturgeon’s confession to killing eight people, or his admission that Nina broke up with him because he was too into S&M to be mentioned in court? Why the gently caress was Hora allowed to display a portrait of Nina smiling holding her baby in the witness box when he gave his closing arguments?

It seemed like the burden of proof shifted to the defense, rather than the prosecution as it should be in a trial free of bias. Sure, anyone would agree the defense’s argument wasn’t airtight or terribly convincing, but that doesn’t convict Hans. He is not guilty until proven innocent. Lack of a good defense (clearly Hans was handicapped by an ineffective lawyer, and he obviously shouldn’tve taken the stand at all) does not prove the prosecution’s case, and I for one was not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt Hans was guilty of murder.

Since we have no idea HOW Hans supposedly killed Nina, wouldn’t it be sensible we should choose the less offensive degree? Perhaps Reiser pushed Nina down the stairs in the heat of passion and oops she died gotta clean it up. That’s manslaughter, how in the hell did the jury come up with first-degree murder? How do they KNOW it was not manslaughter?

It’s a sad day indeed, especially when you consider the testimony you don’t read about in the blogs or see in the media. Talking to actual people involved in the case, digging deeper, actually talking to human beings who knew Nina and Hans presents a much muddier picture than Hora advanced in his case. Nina is known to have told her friends she couldn’t move to Russia with the kids as long as Hans can visit him. Why was Nina working as a translator for a mail-order bride service when she was supposedly a wonderful doctor in Russia? What about Sean Sturgeon? There are too many variables to know for sure what happened.

This has been a sad case, and shaken our faith in the criminal justice system. I’m sure much of this and the obvious bias of Judge Goodman will be exposed in the appeals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
didnt read

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
I read a bit then stopped.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Whoops
July 11, 2008

Whoops, looks like all of us in the linux community here at freereiser.org were way off-base on this one! See ya over on the LKML

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

His brother will steal the gold

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:stonk: that photo

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
rated 4, this thread's pretty good

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Migishu posted:

rated 4, this thread's pretty good

Thanks champ!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Don’t believe everything you read
April 28, 2008

The media distorts a lot of evidence, making everybody think they are an expert on the Reiser trial. I went to the trials, I spoke to people who knew the involved parties, I read the court transcripts. Read up on the history of the Oakland PD, you’ll be a lot less inclined to trust them to conduct a proper investigation. Just look at how badly they bungled the Black Muslim Bakery case going on right now. Plus Nina was obviously a shady Russian. Don’t ever underestimate desperate shady Russians.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
was she mail order? i forget

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

MikeeUSA posted:

Hans Reiser did nothing wrong. His wife committed adultery against him. The penalty for a female having relations with a man not her husband is death. He did the morally correct thing in killing the woman who betrayed him, then stole his children, and then used to state to steal his wealth aswell.

Hans Reiser is a hero to Men: he is technically brilliant (creating the first journaling file system for linux), he is genererous (giving away his life’s work for free to the Men of the world), and upholds the sanctity of marraige (not allowing a whore to destroy his life without hers going down in flames aswell: showing that there IS a penalty against women who do so (and so many women do)).

Hans Reiser must be freed, or the culture who imprisons him must cease to exist.

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/MikeeUSA

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

yeah thats how i found freereiser blog

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Could someone with artistry skills sketch lady justice having a miscarriage please? Prefereably with the fetal remains resembling reiser or ulbricht? tgabjs!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Could someone with artistry skills sketch lady justice having a miscarriage please? Prefereably with the fetal remains resembling reiser or ulbricht? tgabjs!

your poison womb is making our prisons too loving crowded

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
he looks like a rapist, not a murderer

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i tried to read it but i forgot how to read in self defense

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL at the instant, zero-introspection "Welp, guess he's guilty after all!" backtracking.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Killing your wife is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for your children to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the family than on the husband. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

reiser basically got trolled into taking the stand because he couldn't let people say things that were wrong about him and was so grating and unsympathetic that he turned the jury against him

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

heres a book sort of about the rieser trial and sort of not http://www.amazon.com/Adderall-Diaries-Memoir-Masochism-Murder/dp/1555975380/

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
free kevin

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
free tacos

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
what's the op about? it's way too long for me to read

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lets get it out of the way

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

lets get it out of the way

how long did this vandalism live?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

SYSV Fanfic posted:

how long did this vandalism live?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Khaled_Mardam-Bey&oldid=507317135#Private_life

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

what's the op about? it's way too long for me to read

"hans reiser was innocent, he was framed by the us government and his whore wife isnt really dead

edit: oh he just led police tot he body nvm"

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
hans reiser looks like dennis reynolds

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
hans gruber did nothing wrong

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Migishu posted:

hans gruber did nothing wrong

I don't feel this with vengence.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

"hans reiser was innocent, he was framed by the us government and his whore wife isnt really dead

edit: oh he just led police tot he body nvm"

lol

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
How many wives has dmitry killed?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

A Pinball Wizard posted:

April 28, 2008

Since we have no idea HOW Hans supposedly killed Nina, wouldn’t it be sensible we should choose the less offensive degree? Perhaps Reiser pushed Nina down the stairs in the heat of passion and oops she died gotta clean it up. That’s manslaughter, how in the hell did the jury come up with first-degree murder? How do they KNOW it was not manslaughter?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

man, wikipedia sure buries the lede

Hans Thomas Reiser (born December 19, 1963) is an American computer programmer, entrepreneur, and convicted murderer.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
can't spell manslaughter without laughter

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
manslaughter is just a man's laughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive