Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I remember there being two excellent threads about the subject by the same author. it seems that they have disappeared to the archives at this point. Besides providing a ton of information himself, the author made some book recommendations for those interested in the subject. I stupidly forgot to write these down. I was wondering if anyone familiar with the subject can make some good recommendations. I've was thinking about picking up Zealot by Reza Aslan, but I'd rather hear about all my options first. I don't have a lot of time to do non-work related reading nowadays, so it's unlikely I'll be able to fly through a bunch of books on the topic, therefore I want to choose wisely.

Edit: I should say that I'm specifically interested in the historical analysis of the life and times of Jesus and the disciples, and then the creation of early Christianity after his death.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
James, brother of jesus by robert eisenman

Not quite historical criticism but it effectively is. Very long and very good

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Bart Ehrman is really good. If you're going to read only one of his books, Lost Christianities should probably be the one.

God's Secretaries, by Adam Nicolson, is an excellent book about the creation of the King James Version.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I'll second Lost Christianities. It covers the various Christian faiths that came up after Jesus, from 100 to 500AD, around when the Catholic Church became the major Christian faith and decided on their New Testament.

It goes into depth on the Ebionites, who considered Jesus to be not divine, and his teachings a simple extension of Judaism, the Marcionites, who considered Jesus divine and his God to be unconnected with the Judaism, and the Gnostics, whose mythology of the bible was alien and a guarded secret. Finally he talks about how the proto-orthodox church slowly became dominant.

The book focuses how each faith emerged from reading a different set of scriptures, and which of these scriptures are now believed to be altered or outright forged.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
I think Reza Aslan basically gives an account consistent with the academic community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Lief posted:

I think Reza Aslan basically gives an account consistent with the academic community.

What that stupid lion from the movies who's going to read that crap

• Locked thread