Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Come one come all and claim Vinny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Scrotos posted:

Come one come all and claim Vinny

Off waivers?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Off waivers?

ha no, in trades.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
art, how do you have only 22 players on your 40-man roster

ps -- i will trade david hernandez for a song

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The broken bones posted:

art, how do you have only 22 players on your 40-man roster

ps -- i will trade david hernandez for a song

I currently have 16 people on my ML roster and only a few prospects. This is how to tank in style.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

I currently have 16 people on my ML roster and only a few prospects. This is how to tank in style.

Do you realize how much people dislike you in this world

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

nasboat posted:

Your point being that I should break down crying and just kill myself this very moment?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

nasboat posted:

i'm more impressed

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

This is how you ruin worlds. Everyone will have to suck with you to get a shot at the best IFAs and top picks. No one should lose more than 50-55 games ever.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Not to throw TBB under the bus, but he has won 36 and 38 games the last 2 seasons, and I don't really remember seeing anyone get too upset about it.

The only way to truly rebuild is to tank for the #1 pick and get as many IFA's as possible. That's what I did last time and that's what i'm going to do this time. It's not like i'm the only one who's ever done that. Just recently uublog did it (and then did exactly what I did and ruined his team), as well as gardenald, who hopefully won't follow my lead! I'm just a lightning rod for complaints because i'm annoying and can't help myself from writing annoying things. But even then, I barely posted in the last thread.

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 28, 2015

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I love handing out terrible, terrible contracts

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

ArtVandelay posted:

Not to throw TBB under the bus, but he has won 36 and 38 games the last 2 seasons, and I don't really remember seeing anyone get too upset about it.

The only way to truly rebuild is to tank for the #1 pick and get as many IFA's as possible. That's what I did last time and that's what i'm going to do this time. It's not like i'm the only one who's ever done that. Just recently uublog did it (and then did exactly what I did and ruined his team), as well as gardenald, who hopefully won't follow my lead! I'm just a lightning rod for complaints because i'm annoying and can't help myself from writing annoying things. But even then, I barely posted in the last thread.

I took over the worst franchises in Dimaggio. The highest rated PROJECTED player was 80. And yet I still have 10 more players on my 40-man than you.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

ArtVandelay posted:

TBB is a new player, and gardenald turned it around so quickly that he only spent one season losing 100+ games. He won more than a hundred games last season

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
To be fair, Art also tanked his way to a 100 game winner. It's just that he then blew it up for no discernible reason.

But yeah TBB's trashbag wasteland franchise and Art's takeover of the former Cleveland team are pretty apples and oranges even before you note user experience.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
It's trivially easy for an experienced player to be respectably bad - while still maintaining high picks and top end international money - by digging up decent free (or close) talent, which also accumulates future assets. If Art or whomever wants to spend a hundred bucks to be absurdly bad for five years I guess that's his prerogative but it isn't the best way.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Also, if you'll recall, I was punished for my hubris in tanking as hard as I did. That was the season I couldn't see anyone worth taking first overall and gambled and lost on Royce fuckin' Sewell, who I traded in disgust the next season.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

e: eh not worth it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
To be honest, I thought at one point we instituted a no tanking rule for the world, as well as a few other "fatigue" rules. I mean, not spending all your budget to attempt to be competitive is one thing, but in refusing to build an actual ML roster, that's horrible for the world's health.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
IIRC we went with a minimum .250 winning percentage but I don't recall what the penalty was. Forfeiture of your first round pick, maybe?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gardenald posted:

IIRC we went with a minimum .250 winning percentage but I don't recall what the penalty was. Forfeiture of your first round pick, maybe?

That's just WIS' own fair play guidelines. No less than a .250 pythag after...80 games I think?

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Bo Hall is mine once again!!!!

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

If you can nto tell the difference between a new owner on a poo poo team and and an owner with 20 seasons under their belt behaving the same way I do not knwo what to tell you. You have experience and can lose with grace.

Someone tell WIS to add reverse drafts to the first round, 1st player to miss the playoffs drafts first. HBD becomes way way better.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The broken bones posted:

I took over the worst franchises in Dimaggio. The highest rated PROJECTED player was 80. And yet I still have 10 more players on my 40-man than you.

If it makes you feel any better, check out the S18-20 threads as I slowly discovered how badly my franchise had been run by the previous guy.

My crop of inherited prospects were basically
- Rigo Nunez, who I traded in a salary dump to uublog and went unsigned the first year his contract was up
- Bill Smith, who's been kicking around as a fourth/fifth starter in Tampa Bay/IOWA
- Lewis Stammen, S30 all star and two-time eligible Cy Young comedy option vote

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Scrotos posted:

Someone tell WIS to add reverse drafts to the first round, 1st player to miss the playoffs drafts first. HBD becomes way way better.

Not at all. I got recruited into a prog league that drafted like this, and surprise surprise the open franchise was completely, like 10 games worse than the next worst team, hopeless and nothing could change it. .

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Props to davewillie for leaving Charles Forbes and other useful players unprotected.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

Not at all. I got recruited into a prog league that drafted like this, and surprise surprise the open franchise was completely, like 10 games worse than the next worst team, hopeless and nothing could change it. .

Yea but in HBD that team gets the best IFAs.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Props to davewillie for leaving Charles Forbes and other useful players unprotected.

He left a nice pitcher out too.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ooh, ooh, did I expose anybody useful?

e: wait I am completely not seeing Forbes in the player pool despite him clearly not being on davewillie's 40 man.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 1, 2015

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Atheistdeals.com posted:

I blame TMB for allowing him to come back :(

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

who will be daring enough to roll the dice on The Aramis Hernandez Experience

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

chutwig posted:

Are you a bad enough dude?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

chutwig posted:

A Cautionary Tale

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Power of Pecota posted:

If it makes you feel any better, check out the S18-20 threads as I slowly discovered how badly my franchise had been run by the previous guy.

My crop of inherited prospects were basically
- Rigo Nunez, who I traded in a salary dump to uublog and went unsigned the first year his contract was up
- Bill Smith, who's been kicking around as a fourth/fifth starter in Tampa Bay/IOWA
- Lewis Stammen, S30 all star and two-time eligible Cy Young comedy option vote

haha

I knew I was in trouble when I looked at my roster and saw none of the players, even the prospects, would be an every-day player on AV's team

chutwig
May 28, 2001

when I started my only tradeable asset was Vic Batista and my best pitcher was Carrera Ontiveros, it was a dark time

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Did I accidentally expose anyone useful this year?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

duyarvish posted:

Did I accidentally expose anyone useful this year?

My default ranking has Slash Hill ranked 141 and then Stan Cross at 280

AlleyViper posted:

Ooh, ooh, did I expose anybody useful?

In the top 200:
Ren Lee at 35
Orber Torrealba at 69
LJ Davey at 120
Dion Leiter at 124
Teddy Lockhart at 145
Wade Field at 149
Evan Kerr at 173
Junior Piedra at 179
Lawrence Burrell at 184

Did I leave anyone exposed?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm assuming there's no one of mine inside the top 200, but list em anyway

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm assuming there's no one of mine inside the top 200, but list em anyway

38 Dennys Stanley
47 Dee Cameron
92 Cal Green
104 Jackie Leslie
125 Matty Mieske
134 Alan Garland

chutwig
May 28, 2001

i'm assuming my top guy is Aramis Hernandez, probably Alex Hiro and Rudy Shaw are in there as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Forbes isn't in my Rule 5 list either

• Locked thread