Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

AlleyViper posted:

Unfortunately for that plan the pubbie pool has gotten significantly smaller.

but we still have art!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

EvilBeard posted:

but we still have art!

102 game winner Art Vandelay?

gently caress that guy

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

saintonan posted:

Thanks TMB, I was gonna wait for the new thread to say hi, but since you mentioned me, may as well speak up.

I haven't played in two years and change, but I'd never seen it before this morning.

Also, I'm probably going to have to push him on a pubbie but if anyone has interest in Stephen Patton, he's probably going to be non-tendered. Other than situations like that, I'm going to be cautious about trades until WIS gives more information on how they plan to screw $0 advance owners. No harm in TC though.

see, now this is an example of a good choice in bringing back an old owner!

(please boot davewillie)

welcome back!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Draft prospects just popped up in Clemens* and boy do I really, really, really, really

REALLY

hate not having current ratings.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

AlleyViper posted:

Draft prospects just popped up in Clemens* and boy do I really, really, really, really

REALLY

hate not having current ratings.

Its pointless, like all these changes did is that I will never want to draft again. Like I know they never changed how projections work, and before you could tell some projections were very wrong even at 20/20 by looking at the difference between current and projected. Now it is just a complete crap shoot.

I will now be able to zero out 4 budgets forever and not care. That is what this did. Why bother having college, high school or IFA if I can not get an accurate ready of that players skill.

All they had to do was make current fuzzy based on scouting. So if it is an IFA your current could be way wrong at 2 IFA, same with high school or college. That would make sense. Hire lovely scouts get lovely reports, but no instead our scouts have no idea how good or bad of a player they are right now but they can tell you how good they will be! It makes no loving sense.

Scrotos fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 27, 2015

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The whole point of knowing prospects' current ratings is just to infer their ceiling, though. No one gives a poo poo what some prospect's RL stats are gonna look like. The point of knowing their current is so you can ballpark whether they're ML capable independent of what your scouts are telling you about their ceiling. That's exactly what WiS is trying to stop.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

saintonan posted:

The whole point of knowing prospects' current ratings is just to infer their ceiling, though. No one gives a poo poo what some prospect's RL stats are gonna look like. The point of knowing their current is so you can ballpark whether they're ML capable independent of what your scouts are telling you about their ceiling. That's exactly what WiS is trying to stop.

Right but what I am saying is make their currents and their ceiling dependent on how well you paid your scouts. So like if you have 0/0 hs/college then not only will you get laughably wrong projections, you will get laughably wrong currents. It makes sense that bad scouts would judge current just as badly as they would judge potential.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Scrotos posted:

Right but what I am saying is make their currents and their ceiling dependent on how well you paid your scouts. So like if you have 0/0 hs/college then not only will you get laughably wrong projections, you will get laughably wrong currents. It makes sense that bad scouts would judge current just as badly as they would judge potential.

I think if you have 0/0 hs/col then you should get no projections at all. No scouting = no draft. Apart from that I agree with you, and that may be where all this ends up in the end. I really think splitting draft scouting into hs/col is too fine of a granularity - just make a bucket for draft scouting and another bucket for international scouting and be done with it.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

saintonan posted:

I think if you have 0/0 hs/col then you should get no projections at all. No scouting = no draft. Apart from that I agree with you, and that may be where all this ends up in the end. I really think splitting draft scouting into hs/col is too fine of a granularity - just make a bucket for draft scouting and another bucket for international scouting and be done with it.

Yea I do not think that will happen because I made the same post in the HBD forums and I am getting mocked for being an idiot.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

saintonan posted:

It's hugely important in the upper half of the first round when deciding how to rank your board matters. I've got two hitters on my Clemens* board right now, a 19 year old projected for 81/74/48/73/88 and a 22 year old projected for 38/74/81/87/91. Pretty similar quality bats despite the shift between splits and contact. But those are pretty high numbers for a 22 year old player to reach. Where is he starting? Are those splits at 50/55 or are they at 65/70? Without current ratings I probably have to just rank the 19 year old guy higher for no other reason than his age makes him less likely to have unrealistically high projections, where before I could get a gauge on how likely either is to reach their projections and rank accordingly.

There are other ways to neuter the ability to draft well with low draft budgets than this. I have to believe that this change, along with their supposed "fuzzy" projections, are an attempt to increase the likelihood of draft busts, which is really not something I want a part of in a game like this.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Yea draft busts in this game will be its death nail. A team could never compete at the bottom with one or even two missed prospects. Or if you flip it that means by accident the better player slips down the board to a better team.

Also taking a quick glance and comparing my projected ratings it seems they still auto rank based on currents like they use to. So the default rankings give a hint of their current rankings.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AV I draft 95th so I am not trying to game anything but do you see Walter Dorsey? I see him as a super stud pitcher and am trying to see how variable they made the projections now.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

AlleyViper posted:

It's hugely important in the upper half of the first round when deciding how to rank your board matters. I've got two hitters on my Clemens* board right now, a 19 year old projected for 81/74/48/73/88 and a 22 year old projected for 38/74/81/87/91. Pretty similar quality bats despite the shift between splits and contact. But those are pretty high numbers for a 22 year old player to reach. Where is he starting? Are those splits at 50/55 or are they at 65/70? Without current ratings I probably have to just rank the 19 year old guy higher for no other reason than his age makes him less likely to have unrealistically high projections, where before I could get a gauge on how likely either is to reach their projections and rank accordingly.

I guess I misunderstood. I was under the impression that high scouting budgets would increase both current and projected ratings, so that if you had 20M hs scouting, you'd have accurate current and projected numbers for that 19 year old. Since adv scouting doesn't kick in until someone gets signed, what scouting controls draft current ratings?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

They already had a degree of draft busting programmed in between injuries and the fact that you can miss a guy even at 20/20. Imagine picking first overall and not only are you forced to take Royce Sewell or Jack Strickland over Aaron Hanson or Glen Little, but you also really have no idea on what you're getting with Sewell or Strickland. Woof.

If you want to increase bust likelihood outside of injuries then make player development more important. If my guy fails I'd at least like to know that it was my own fault.

Scrotos, I don't see that guy.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

To play devil's advocate, making the top picks unreliable and creating a chance that mid-round picks are superstars should kill tanking, right? The tanking problem was created by the fact that with a sufficiently smart group of owners, superstars hardly ever slip past the first few picks and you're lucky to get league average by the middle of the round. Obviously it's a problem if the best player in the draft slips to me because scouting and projections are a clusterfuck. But if a really good guy can slip to a team that tried to compete but fell short and picks at like 18... That might be a good thing.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm all for increasing the possibility that a high pick falls later in the round, especially as someone who has had to draft especially low in Clemens* compared to where my team has finished because none of the bad teams want to open their windows and call guys up. I just don't think removing currents is the best way to do it. I honestly think I'd rather they make it so that we can see even fewer prospects than we currently do as an alternative if that's the end game. Introduce regional scouting, something. At least give me control to pick the best of the crap that I see. Otherwise it's seriously just a lottery. Let a machine spit out a ticket with some random numbers, maybe you win. You won't know until after the fact.

E: for that matter, and this is a personal preference thing, I find it more fun to know that a guy slipped to me because of someone else's slip up. "Oh man, I can't believe this dude fell to me! Thank god davewillie was there to take another lovely MIFer and atheist valued that pitcher more than I do" is a lot more gratifying.

saintonan posted:

Since adv scouting doesn't kick in until someone gets signed, what scouting controls draft current ratings?

Right now, no budget. There are no current ratings for draftees at all.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 27, 2015

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

AlleyViper posted:

Right now, no budget. There are no current ratings for draftees at all.

I guess that makes sense from a programmatic standpoint (hs/col/intl affect projections only, adv handles all currents), but it really seems like an oversight not to be able to see draft currents.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Is the new update going to be active for this league or no?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Yep, it'll be active for Dimaggio S32.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Man I can't wait until we fill up so I can finance a Scrooge McDuck money pool for Chick Wehner

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

Man I can't wait until we fill up so I can finance a Scrooge McDuck money pool for Chick Wehner

at least we all know that we have no chance at Chick

someone will still need to keep you honest, though

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
If anyone has any suggestions for new owners let me know. The waiting list is empty.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Why does MikeT think he is in charge of the forums?

Also lol at him saying they are not listing to the echo chamber. They absolutely are.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

Why does MikeT think he is in charge of the forums?

Because he basically is

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ThatsMyBoye posted:

If anyone has any suggestions for new owners let me know. The waiting list is empty.

Go Public?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This looks like something super cool that I would get unreasonably obsessed with.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Just joined as the Vancouver Directors after duyarvish said there were some openings. I'm glad this thread exists so hopefullly I learn to just merely suck as opposed to being completely incompetent this season

Twitter is @sathauros

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Everyone is afraid to join Jeffs, Tavarin and I's division :smug:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Scrotos posted:

Everyone is afraid to join Jeffs, Tavarin and I's division :smug:

I have no problem with the division, that franchise is an EPA Superfund site.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

saintonan posted:

I have no problem with the division, that franchise is an EPA Superfund site.

gently caress uublog

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

nasboat posted:

gently caress uublog

It was Art's old team, he had a tradition to uphold.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Last spot just got claimed by a pubbie who doesn't have the best track record but oh well, we're full

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Last spot just got claimed by a pubbie who doesn't have the best track record but oh well, we're full

Haha he literally has not had a team better than 2 over .500 despite 30 seasons.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Argh, we couldn't have waited one more day? :(

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

Argh, we couldn't have waited one more day? :(

:fuckoff: Lets play ball!

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Guy's track record doesn't seem to indicate he'll be holding onto that team for long anyway.

Cam Surkmap will be a pitching coach but his patience is only 11, Footsie Everett has a patience of 77 though so drat right he's staying on.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Guy's track record doesn't seem to indicate he'll be holding onto that team for long anyway.

Cam Surkmap will be a pitching coach but his patience is only 11, Footsie Everett has a patience of 77 though so drat right he's staying on.

Footsie :(

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

you're a good man, Rob Blair, for saving me from the wolves of the fielding coach competition yet again

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm out in the hill country of Texas with intermittent cell coverage, but tomorrow night I'll be at the rangers game and then fort worth and should be able to pay attention at least a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Get out of my state.

• Locked thread