Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Problem description

I was playing world of tanks and installing rome total war 2 at the same time, the computer froze and would not respond to ctl/alt/delete. After this the computer will not post but the fans will run and the keyboard will respond to caps lock and num lock. My motherboard has a LED read out that will move to 7F (which I think means user input needed?) until you press a key and then it will move to 01 (some default meaningless mobo code, I think). When turned on the computer will make one long beep that is slightly interrupted about halfway through, although I'd subjectively say it is one long beep since the interruption is barely notable. The computer has had some stability issues in the past but I can't remember it being this bad. The computer is over 4.5 years old and was built by digital storm because I've built computers myself before and felt like indulging in something that wasn't going to give me an aneurysm putting together.

Attempted fixes

I started by following this:

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/Boot_Failure.pdf

Including unplugging all usb cables from the motherboard, reseated and tested different RAM configurations, and removed the battery from the motherboard/reset the CMOS. I tried unplugging in and plugging back in in my monitors, all external USB devices, and also the hard drives. I've tried different combinations of devices plugged into the motherboard down to the bare minimum of what you could expect with no change in the computer's behavior. I've done some googling around and it sounds like if the problem isn't resolved through what I've already tried it is likely a memory problem but given I've tried all three stick of RAM in different slots and not produced any different results I don't think that is likely. I'm guessing the culprit is either the motherboard, the power supply, or (please no) the video card. I'm hoping someone here might have some other suggestions before I try to start replacing parts that I'm not even sure need to be replaced.

Recent changes

None, other than installing Rome total war 2.

Operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

System specs

Digital storms assassin custom whatever PC:

Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) (NOTE: Disables 2 Front USB Ports)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SSDSA2MH160G2R5)
Hard Drive Set 2: Seagate 1.5tb
Hard Drive Set 3: Western digital 2 tb.
Hard Drive Set 4: Seagate 350GB
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card(s): 1x ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (120mm Radiator) (Great Value)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Enhancements: Touch 2000 Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)

usa.

I have Googled and read the FAQ:

Yes.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions! !

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have access to a different videocard or power supply you can use to test? I am leaning towards a failed videocard, but really the only way to confirm that is to try a different card and see if it works.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Unfortunately I do not have any extra video cards or power supplies around although I'll check to see if I have one or the other stashed with my parents or if a friend has anything I can steal. Thanks for the suggestion though, that probably is my best bet for trying to identify what part blew a fuse.

I'm tempted to just by another one of my 5 year old video cards from eBay for 150 bones. Worst case scenario my card is bad and I replace it. I guess the best case scenario is it turns out the power supply is the problem and then I can sli two space heater class video cards :getin:

I think when I bought this computer I remember reading the HD 5970's sli'ed would need like 800 watts of power by themselves since it's like 4 video card processors running at once.

Or I could just buy a modern video card that will probably match the performance of the 5970 for a fraction of the heat and energy.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Update: I received a new gtx 270 today from amazon and plugged it in. The computer posted okay, yelled at me for clearing my cmos earlier and then tried to go into windows. After the windows splash screen there was a brief flash of a BSOD and then the computer restarted. At this point windows is telling me the install is broken and cannot be repaired due to a hardware change. Is this normal for what I've experienced up to this point? I'd like to make sure there are no other apparent hardware issues and the only problem was my old video card.

At any rate, I'll try to find a Ubuntu cd so I can get into my c drive and recover all of my documents and pictures before I bulldoze and reinstall windows.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

adebisi lives posted:

At this point windows is telling me the install is broken and cannot be repaired due to a hardware change. Is this normal for what I've experienced up to this point?

That sounds abnormal.

I'd try to run the portable zip edition of CDI when you get a chance: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Is it possible to boot to that through a cd or external hard drive? I'll try to search around online for other bootable diagnostic tools now that I can post at least.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Aaaaaaaaaa so I stopped trying to use the system image disc that came with my computer and used the ms windows cd instead. I installed Windows and everything works as well so far as you could expect a computer with no drivers could but I can't find my windows registration key anywhere. I guess I'll call digital storm to see if they keep the registration key on file or I'll have to try to :filez: something up. Will Microsoft somehow give me a key if I tell them I lost it? I really don't want to give them a hundred dollars for a product I already paid for.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

adebisi lives posted:

Aaaaaaaaaa so I stopped trying to use the system image disc that came with my computer and used the ms windows cd instead. I installed Windows and everything works as well so far as you could expect a computer with no drivers could but I can't find my windows registration key anywhere. I guess I'll call digital storm to see if they keep the registration key on file or I'll have to try to :filez: something up. Will Microsoft somehow give me a key if I tell them I lost it? I really don't want to give them a hundred dollars for a product I already paid for.

You've checked over the case for a COA sticker? Have you checked the inside of the panel when you opened the case? I've seen them put there by some independent builders to keep them from being an eyesore on the outside of the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I found it outside the case. I'll run diagnostics in windows to make sure it's just the video card. I guess I'll lock the thread for now since I should be good to go now, thanks everyone for the replies!

• Locked thread