Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

actually they should make the  Watch unable to view photos

they should let it do bluetooth and heart rate monitoring and work as a microphone but not do photos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

it's huge and unwieldy

jesus christ how fuckin weak and pathetic are you

you're painting yourself as a fuckin loser for claiming that its unweildy when its only 30g heavier than the firstr retina ipad
and 13mm thick

what a weakling

quote:

and slow as piss

last i checked it plays movies at the correct speed

quote:

and if you don't appreciate a retina display when you see it then it is you who needs to get his lovely eyes checked.

appreciating something better is different from thinking the better thing is the absolute minimum standard

guess what retina adds no added functionality. out of all the things the newer ipads do over the classique, retina is the least function adding

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

reminder echinopsis regularly buys keys for his keyboard for $200

just regular plastic keys for letters like "A", "B" and so on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i would have presumed someone would have had to have done something like that more than once for someone to say "regularly" anyway thats the worst comeback you've ever done and thats saying A LOT

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the first retina ipad is also unwieldy though not quite as much as the original ipad, and obviously i was speaking in terms of current ipad models such as the iPad Air 2 which you conveniently left out of your screenshot. misrepresent my argument, great debate tactic there. the first retina ipad is also a mega POS with not enough memory. ipad 2 is okay for olds and kids and such.

retina adds the functionality of being able to look at detailed photos and fine text without zooming in, which again is not something i would expect a nearsighted defective üntermensch like yourself to appreciate. luckily we live in a time when such disabilities can be mitigated and I urge you to speak to a doctor about corrective lenses

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I have an iPad 2. it is slow now, and even has a hard time playing things from Netflix. it's v sad. :(

pram
Jun 10, 2001

THC posted:

misrepresent my argument, great debate tactic there.

lmao at this guy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

the first retina ipad is also unwieldy though not quite as much as the original ipad, and obviously i was speaking in terms of current ipad models such as the iPad Air 2 which you conveniently left out of your screenshot. misrepresent my argument, great debate tactic there. the first retina ipad is also a mega POS with not enough memory. ipad 2 is okay for olds and kids and such.

retina adds the functionality of being able to look at detailed photos and fine text without zooming in, which again is not something i would expect a nearsighted defective üntermensch like yourself to appreciate. luckily we live in a time when such disabilities can be mitigated and I urge you to speak to a doctor about corrective lenses

tbf you made no mention of what you were comparing it to but my point stands if you find the ipad 1 uinweildy you're a weak rear end father fucker of the extreme degree and sure ok those edge cases for retina are ok i guess but arent really a reason to upgrade unless you have no financial sense but thats something i expect from someone like you

nice german insult though. should have called me uber gay :jerkbag:

things i can do on ipad 1

watch movies
look at pictures

which completes an exhuastive list of everything an ipad has ever been good for

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the intent of my argument was clear, and your omission isnt gentlemanly behavior. good day sir!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just came

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all over THCs dad! hahaha

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if i ever called you gay that should be taken as a compliment

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i just came

did your penis echo lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
after i hosed his mother, i pulled out and came all over his father. she laughed. i laughed. he cried. i consider it a bonding experience

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

if i ever called you gay that should be taken as a compliment

nothing good has ever come from you

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

reading and looking at photos: in the world of supremely average everyman, echinopsis, these are edge cases

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well no, reading with the text size turned down so small retina is required, that is an edge case

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you carry around one of those bibles with the writing that needs a microscope dont you

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.
basically, i think similar conversations were had about ipads when they came out

but it was at least more functional than a phone, not just a less functional thing in slightly more convenient location

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

echinopsis posted:

you carry around one of those bibles with the writing that needs a microscope dont you
if I for whatever reason needed to carry around a big book like that I would just grab my iPad Air 2 and download a copy. i was actually referring to rear end in a top hat PDFs with tiny text that you cant change the text size on

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

cant wait to get my watch~

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Le me.,.Reading PDFs... Like a sir !!!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i got this calc textbook, its not legible on non-retina unless you zoom in. so youre constantly zooming and panning around, poo poo sucks. on the retina ipad i can just read it

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i always sort of figured that logo was meant to be over-the-top ridiculous, but knowing reddit,

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lame
I used iPad for uni and PDFs and did ok

can't wait fr another 5 years when you claim the iPad Air 2 is basically made of lead and has pixels the size of a camel

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

echinopsis posted:

can't wait fr another 5 years when you claim the iPad Air 2 is basically made of lead and has pixels the size of a camel

it will in relative terms

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gas

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I think you meant to call him farsighted since they're the ones who can't see the pixels close up.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

echinopsis posted:

stop reading my drafts!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

it will in relative terms

in reality it will still be as good as it is now but guys like THC will claim it's hard to use and slow as fuc. he needs a reality check. hope he ends up living in a slum in India WOSHING he had an iPad 1

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if i lived in a slum id wish for stuff like clean water and money and a bodyguard not a big hunk of metal that cant even load facebook without crashing

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elder Postsman posted:

I have an iPad 2. it is slow now, and even has a hard time playing things from Netflix. it's v sad. :(

my ipad 1 plays things on netflix just fine :cool:

really though apple could spare some war chest bucks to support old devices and help devs release app updates for them

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i would have presumed someone would have had to have done something like that more than once for someone to say "regularly" anyway thats the worst comeback you've ever done and thats saying A LOT

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i have an iPad the 3rd but i haven't even turned it on in months

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

focal ischemia posted:

my ipad 1 plays things on netflix just fine :cool:

really though apple could spare some war chest bucks to support old devices and help devs release app updates for them

i was watching a thing a couple nights ago and it skipped like twice for just fractions of a second but it was noticable. not that big of a deal really.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

in reality it will still be as good as it is now but guys like THC will claim it's hard to use and slow as fuc. he needs a reality check. hope he ends up living in a slum in India WOSHING he had an iPad 1
it will most likely be slower to do things like web browsing because websites are constantly cramming more and more ads into their page to earn those sweet adsense dollar

remember back when you could browse a website on the ipad and it actually loads pretty drat fast compare to the pc because it wont get any flash based ads?

http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/25/google-now-automatically-converts-flash-ads-to-html5/
Google today began automatically converting Adobe Flash ads to HTML5. As a result, it’s now even easier for advertisers to target users on the Google Display Network without a device or browser that supports Flash.

so the same device is going to be slower over the years because the contents/apps have marched on, even though it might not be for the better

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DaNzA posted:

it will most likely be slower to do things like web browsing because websites are constantly cramming more and more ads into their page to earn those sweet adsense dollar

remember back when you could browse a website on the ipad and it actually loads pretty drat fast compare to the pc because it wont get any flash based ads?

http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/25/google-now-automatically-converts-flash-ads-to-html5/
Google today began automatically converting Adobe Flash ads to HTML5. As a result, it’s now even easier for advertisers to target users on the Google Display Network without a device or browser that supports Flash.

so the same device is going to be slower over the years because the contents/apps have marched on, even though it might not be for the better

pwned macfags

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
otoh androids had flash installed by default so you get ads and terrible performance/battery life at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

emoji posted:

The only thing that's fail is the insane amount of technical debt that has accumulated in the software stack that nobody is willing to eliminate bc everyone only wants to work on new stuff and they're not willing to pay competitive rates to retain disciplined programmers. This is why core apps like Messages.app keep accumulating more instabilities and UI bugs with every update. Industrial design game on point doe

3rd party keyboards are still a shitshow in ios 8.2. using one in the app store literally makes all the text fields just disappear

• Locked thread