Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

gruber says the gold iwatch is gonna start at 20 thousand dollers lmao

all the poors ITF are gonna get hella fuckin uppity

i really want them to enter the vertu tier of luxury ce products

that will beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

theadder posted:

to openly defy steve is one thing but to do it in this of all possible threads i am incensed

well at least you'll smell better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

poty posted:

ive never been to denmark and i live two countries down do you think its a place that is cool or interesting to visit

it depends, do you like danes?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tell her i said "hi"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

does amoke know if the new apple Iwatch will be 4K?

according to cremnob it'll be 15K

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

an ounce [28g or about 1.6 cubic centimeters] of gold in bar form is $1200

what does that have to do with the iwatch?

do you really think they're going to make any of them out of solid gold instead of just electroplating?

what conceivable reason would the have for doing that?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

18-karat gold that our metallurgists have developed to be up to twice as hard as standard gold

lol @ apple advertizing pure strain gold, specially crafted by our artisan metallurgists

also "crafted from" does not mean it's a solid gold chassis, it's a bullshit marketing term. i mean it could mean that, but it's absurd

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

I don't see why that's so farfetched, if they were just plating it I doubt they'd even bother with a separate line for the edition since it would add approximately zero dollars to the price

e: also that steel link band is going to cost several hundred dollars on its own

watches be expensive, yo

it doesn't have to add anything to the cost to be sold for 500% more and the number one way to do that is to make it a separate product line.

hell, given the bewildering choices apple has made the last few years it probably is made of solid gold. it'll be a luxury targeted product made for a market that wouldn't even glance at it.

hopefully they can sell it to aspirationals with no sense and too much credit and the sort of nouveau-riche assholes that still buy virtu and porche design

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cremnob posted:

marco arment thinks apple is doing another $1000 ipad thing and it will be 5k

http://www.marco.org/2015/03/04/boring-apple-watch-edition-pricing

this actually doesn't seem unreasonable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

e: also that steel link band is going to cost several hundred dollars on its own

watches be expensive, yo

i'm not arguing the cost, i'm saying i don't see why it would matter if it were solid gold rather than electroplated given that it's a hideous design and tacky looking as all hell. is "solid gold" versus "gold" really a differentiating factor for the armani-exchange wearing, 3 series bmw owning wannabies that are going to rush out to buy this thing?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

the thing I'm curious about is if there's an upgrade path

this is an apple product, you already know the answer to that

the upgrade path is "buy a new one and sell your old one to poors on craigslist or give it to your kids as a toy"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

given that this is going to be the worst apple watch they ever make why would anyone besides russian gangsters and idle rich emiratis buy the first one?

as i have repeatedly pointed out nothing about the iwatch and especially the edition watch makes any goddamn sense, so who knows?

nothing about the design, formfactor, or potential use case in any way makes sense as a luxury product, but according to cremnob's tasseomancy that's what they're doing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the cremnobs of the world believe apple can invent a luxury market because rich people bought iphones and ipads, so clearly that means they can sell a first gen product that no one else is buying for 20x the price

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and for bypassing currency controls

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

they've been hyping up the fact that everything is on a single chip and how it took tons of R&D to make that happen so i am betting heavily on it being upgradable. watch the Edition sell out and be backlogged for months because of constraints on gold or something absurd like that.

yes, if you assume apple is going to completely turn their proven successful business models on end specifically for this one niche market product line, then sure it'll be upgradable

it makes sense in as much as it's the only way to sell a $10k watch that would otherwise be obsolete trash in a year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

I'm definitely not saying it will be user-upgradeable just that there could at least be some kind of trade-in deal

that sort of kills the heirloom appeal though doesn't it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the iphone 6+ is clear evidence this is true

yes, my fundamental mistake is i keep assuming apple is still a company that wants to make good products

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no they're market chasing trash designed to hoover up the idiots that finally got sick of sarnsung's poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

nope they are selling like crazy because they are universally hated

they don't have to be good products to sell well, see samsung phones circa 2010-2013

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

and as it turns out, there's fuckin 100s of millions of them

well someone had to be buying all those samsungs to begin with, so it stands to reason

the only markets they didn't absorb were the poors with no contract upgrade options and the iyg'ers who pathologically hate apple

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol at a bunch of nerds not understanding what makes a good product now that apple no longer makes them

just like stymie predicted, yopsos turned into iyg/dyp within a week of the iphone announcement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

gold looks like poo poo on white people.

seriously, it looks tacky as gently caress

whitegold and platinum basically are your only choices if you're white

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

poty posted:

you obviously have no idea whatsoever what the luxury watch market is like

so school me then

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

rich idiots with nauseating amounts of money spending it on poo poo that doesn't matter.

i know this is yospos and nobody reads anything, but this is what i've been saying from the first.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the sort of person that spent 50 1970s dollars on a light up watch that says time to gently caress is the sort of person that will buy an apple edition watch today

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cremnob posted:

is this a "it's going to flop" prediction or a "it sucks but its gonna sell millions" aka im a pussy BITCH

it's a "it's a stupid product that makes no sense and has no coherent usecase" post

flop/not a flop is not a very interesting dichotomy. you may as well be touting the amazing revolution that is the pet rock

it sold like gangbusters, it was the dumbest thing ever sold

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cremnob posted:

im a pussy BITCH

DSYP

especially lol coming from the guy who got run out of the flamewar thread by everyone, including the apple supporters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you talk a lot of DYP but when it comes time to nut up you just can't hang.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cremnob, the guy using tasseomancy to DYP his apple stock is here to tell you about how aplle watch is beautiful jewelry

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

yea gross nerds said this about the iphone and ipad too

im not saying its gonna be as successful as the iphone or ipad but we've definitely heard this record before

wasn't cremnob just bitching about this truth is in the middle poo poo?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also lol at you going all tory cmos on my post history and ignoring how much i defend apple here

I've owned macs since the 90s, i can still spot a stupid market chasing product when i see one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm RICO'S LUNCH

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i still don't get why they're so fixated on this as a luxury product. the iphone and ipad were never "luxury" products per se, they were just best in class products that the wealthy decided to buy because they were the best

even if some revolutionary new usecase appears out of the aether and there becomes and actual point to owning a smart watch, the iwatch could comfortably be the best in class smartwach without trying to compete with rolex and omega

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE
ROLEX
OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE
DEEPSEA
SEA-DWELLER
12800ft = 3900m
SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER
OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED
SWISS MADE
RING LOCK SYSTEM

look. look at all the pointless words that have nothing to do with what time it is, and yet are on the face of the watch rather than in the owner's info packet

rolex was never really one for subtle design

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if apple is inviting design comparisons with rolex someone hosed up somewhere

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hmmm....

touch targets significantly smaller than the finger you use to interact with them. where have we seen that before?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's pretty stupid too since the thing doesn't work without an iphone really anyway

playback controls, sure, but nobody's going to be loading their katie perry jams on their watch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Celexi posted:

cremnob get out of this thread and go post on the flame thread

he can't, it's too contrived for his organic shitposting style

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sir Jony Ives posted:

"the molecules are closer together in Apple gold."

purestrain lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the gold used by apple is much more valuable than regular gold, it's 8 karat, the lower the number the better

it's gold ceramic composite or some poo poo

• Locked thread