Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone else getting a weird nonsense icon whenever any app notifies on their watch?

I've tried rebooting the watch to no effect. I'd rather not wipe and reinstall it but I will if that's what it takes to fix. Seemed to happen after the latest mainline OS upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that’s a blank icon, bug seems to be a part of 4.0. A couple of us are getting it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK thanks. Wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. I guess I'll wait for the inevitable update.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Yeah I get it for Snapchat and Twitter only. Never the tiny icon, just the large notification.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do corporate FANs apply to the dumb $10 plan?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

along with ios 11.1 , it seems watchos 4.1 has dropped.

edit : downloaded and 'prepared' in reasonable time for me, but can't install because my charger's at home.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 31, 2017

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
4.1 is taking for-loving-ever to install. Wish I would've just waited to do this tonight.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

io_burn posted:

4.1 is taking for-loving-ever to install. Wish I would've just waited to do this tonight.

I can't even get it to download. Gonna do it tonight as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Definitely wait, if you can. watchOS updates always take forever.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do corporate FANs apply to the dumb $10 plan?

When I setup my watch with AT&T it didn't seem to apply the FAN on the $10 but it did waive any activation fees. I'll have to wait till end of billing period to give you a definitive answer.

Also anyone tried this band or Valkit bands in general?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Definitely wait, if you can. watchOS updates always take forever.

My series 2 took about 30 minutes from start to finish.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Can I browse my phone's local music(iTunes Match) with this update like I can in watchOS 3?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

decypher posted:

Can I browse my phone's local music(iTunes Match) with this update like I can in watchOS 3?

Yup. Tested it out this morning works very well. Does seem to eat battery though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

spaced ninja posted:

Yup. Tested it out this morning works very well. Does seem to eat battery though.

Wait is browsing the music on your phone DEFINITELY back?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wait is browsing the music on your phone DEFINITELY back?

If it is, I certainly don't see where.

Music app still shows "No music. You can add music in the Apple Watch app on your iPhone"

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I think I misread the question. But as of today I can see my entire library on my watch including all my old albums I ripped and added to match myself. I have both Apple Music and match though and none of it is actually on any device except my Mac mini.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ugh the music app is still unnecessarily hobbled. You can't even stream your Apple Music library over WiFi on anything but an S3 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Watch os4 is bad bad bad

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Why can’t I get a Radio app on my series 1? How dumb is that? If Siri isn’t up to the task to play certain stations, then give me the app. What a poo poo update.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it's not on the S2 either. Also the Music app is a pile of poo poo still. Can't stream Apple Music over WiFi on an S2.
I would 100% go back to Os3 if possible.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do you want to stream off the watch to play it off the speaker? I have my phone with me all the time and use Bluetooth headphones. I stream my music collection off my plex server and pretty much use the headphones as the interface. I can also control tracks off the watch too.

Is it for jogging and not having a phone in your pocket? I thought you still need that anyways for S2.

Also no band rash thus far. Slept with the watch on a few times too. I like the rubber band but I think I will get something classy this holiday. Either leather or the stainless loop.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No so what used to be present on os3 was you could control your entire music library from the watch and steam it to your headphones. You could select your phone as a source and browse the entire library you had on it and it would play them through your headphones. Now you're stuck selecting the music that's synced to your phone, you can't view your phone library via the watch.
I used to just throw my phone in my bag and use the watch to select music from the phone but that's impossible now.
It was great for running too, keep the phone in my little waist bag.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
It's sort of amazing that Apple gets away with removing legit functionality. What if that's the reason you bought your Apple Watch? You should just go gently caress yourself?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If the auxiliary port in my car hadn't poo poo the bed just before watchOS 4 came out, I'd probably be a little pissed about what happened to the Music complication. Alas, I haven't had to use it since.

Actually, I just gave in to using a watch face with a wide complication so I can just use Now Playing for the sporadic instances of using headphones. All I really care to do with music playback is basic interaction (play/pause, prev/next, volume.)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
May just be coincidence, but before updating I was getting significant lag in both the Music and Workout apps (like sometimes 5-8 seconds before you actually got control) and so far that seems to have disappeared.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
After updating I’m seeing massively better performance across the board on my S2

Also the placeholder icons are fixed

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My placeholder icons still there :(

edit: At least for Twitter

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No so what used to be present on os3 was you could control your entire music library from the watch and steam it to your headphones. You could select your phone as a source and browse the entire library you had on it and it would play them through your headphones. Now you're stuck selecting the music that's synced to your phone, you can't view your phone library via the watch.
I used to just throw my phone in my bag and use the watch to select music from the phone but that's impossible now.
It was great for running too, keep the phone in my little waist bag.
Yeah that sucks. I never even got to use it before it was gone. So people with S3 still can? It's like how they gimp older generation Apple TVs with OS updates.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

Yeah that sucks. I never even got to use it before it was gone. So people with S3 still can? It's like how they gimp older generation Apple TVs with OS updates.

Nope, it's a different functionality now. The S3 LTE can stream via Apple Music directly on the watch, no phone needed. The old way was just using the watch basically as a remote and it was great. It's the only time I've ever emailed Apple's feedback address, it was such a stupid removal.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
So this seems to go along with Apple’s official instructions, but doesn’t match up with anything else I found on a quick search. I unexpectedly got a replacement iPhone today, before I could unpair my watch. During setup, I was asked if I wanted to use my watch with the new phone and when I hit yes, the progress circle popped up on the watch as if it were erasing ... but when it came back, it was exactly as it was before, just paired to the new phone. I didn’t have to reinstall apps or even add my cards back into Wallet.

Thought that was really cool.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

killa-pope posted:

So this seems to go along with Apple’s official instructions, but doesn’t match up with anything else I found on a quick search. I unexpectedly got a replacement iPhone today, before I could unpair my watch. During setup, I was asked if I wanted to use my watch with the new phone and when I hit yes, the progress circle popped up on the watch as if it were erasing ... but when it came back, it was exactly as it was before, just paired to the new phone. I didn’t have to reinstall apps or even add my cards back into Wallet.

Thought that was really cool.

It’s new as of iOS 11.1 and watchOS 4.1.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Wait so it doesn't totally wipe the Apple Watch anymore? Or is it still erased but the settings are transferred?

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
Previously when you got a new phone, you had to:

- unpair your watch from your old phone
- make a backup of your old phone
- restore the backup to the new phone
- pair the watch to the new phone (and restore the watch backup saved in the old phone backup)

With the update, you don’t need to unpair; when you restore the backup of the old phone to the new phone, the new phone asks if you want to use the watch with it. You then confirm it on the watch, the progress circle comes up for a bit while it syncs up with the new phone, and after that it’s good to go.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

PZ Smeltzenseltzer posted:

Previously when you got a new phone, you had to:

- unpair your watch from your old phone
- make a backup of your old phone
- restore the backup to the new phone
- pair the watch to the new phone (and restore the watch backup saved in the old phone backup)

With the update, you don’t need to unpair; when you restore the backup of the old phone to the new phone, the new phone asks if you want to use the watch with it. You then confirm it on the watch, the progress circle comes up for a bit while it syncs up with the new phone, and after that it’s good to go.

Yeah, this. It’s such a small thing but makes all the difference in the world. I was dreading going through the pairing process just because of how long it takes. This cuts it in half.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh that's good news. Switching phones was a pain in the rear end before.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ah yes! That's good information to have on the Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Anyone experiencing heart rate monitoring weirdness in workouts since 4.1? I do the same basic workout every day which comes in at around 600 calories +/- 50 calories or so (measured via both chest straps and the Apple watch independently). In 4.1, that’s measuring the same workout at around 400 calories, with pretty large disagreements between what my actual heart rate is and what the Apple Watch thinks it is.

Is there a way to calibrate this somehow or is wildly varying functionality between updates just one of the awesome things about having an Apple Watch?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My HR numbers seem to be about the same. Not unexpectedly off, at any rate. Only two workouts since updating, though.

The two usual Apple Watch problems (in my case, at least) still apply, though:

1) The first reading in “a while” is occasionally off, and it appears they use at least a bit of averaging so it takes a couple more readings to get to a stable number.

2) Occasionally during workouts my reported HR will drop to very close to half of what it should be. Then 1) kicks in for a few seconds. E.g. 136, 136, 67, 110, 135.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Yeah it’s all over the place between my normal resting heart rate and elevated. I suppose it’s possible I’m just having a heart attack.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any chance there will be a decent deal on the S3 LTE ver for Black Friday? I haven't tracked the watches on past BFs.

I know Apple usually has lame sales, like a $15 gift card or whatever. Kohl's has some bomb-rear end deals for Kohl's Cash, but it's only for the GPS version, unfortunately. Anywhere I should keep looking? Or is there very little chance of seeing a good deal on a S3 LTE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got my S0 at Target for $100 off plus a $100 gift card (they pricematched the $100 off with Best Buy, and the gift card was their promo) on Black Friday the year it came out, so retailers aren't shy about putting them on sale. Pretty sure there were S2 deals last year, so I certainly wouldn't count it out.

• Locked thread