Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am interested in this in a sports watch capacity. If it delivers in that area I will probably get one when the second generation ones come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Bottom Liner posted:

Why the gently caress isn't the sport model waterproof? That's just poor design.

Speaking of, the 2nd gen Apple Watch will probably have these features:

Built in GPS for fitness
Slimmer profile
Same battery life (good enough*)
Waterproof (sport model)

Then I will buy it.

This. I was on board with this hoping to use it as a heart rate monitor as I swim but it is about as useful as an rear end in a top hat on an elbow. Also I never got a clear answer anywhere if this can be used without the phone during sports which would be the entire point of a sports watch or do they expect people to carry their iphones with them in their back pocket as they do sports?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I tried the watch out at the apple store yesterday and tried real hard to find anything good about it that would justify the price but drew blank. The UI is atrociously bad and the sports models look extremely cheap and filmsy. Definitely sitting this one out.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

IuniusBrutus posted:

I just got back and agree. The steel versions look alright, but the sport models look like garbage - I'd put them above the plastic android wear watches, but below the Pebble Steel and Moto 360. I suppose the space gray version is tolerable, but it doesn't seem like it'll hold up well over time. I'd be okay with this at ~$200, maybe $250, but not at $350+. Design is extremely well executed, but I think it is too thick and...square? to be liked as universally as needed to become as ubiquitous as the iPhone. The UI is extremely smooth and seems like there is a lot of room for growth, but it is overly complex, and I'm not sold on the idea of wanting that much utility in my smart watch; too fiddly. Screen is fantastic and crushes anything else out there right now. Build quality on the steel version is very nice, but it is still very much a mass-produced Apple product: it struck me as what most things should be built like (solid, well thought out, not "cheap" feeling), but not much more. I'm not sure how sold non-tech people will be on it - it comes closer to being something enjoyable and attractive to wear than other smart watches, but it is still dominated by a display and buttons and very much a gadget.

Yea and I am in Canada where the cheapest version is like $500. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a cheap lovely looking aluminum watch with a 50 cent plastic strap that looks like it will break in a week. I can just go buy a waterproof polar watch with a heartbeat sensor for that kinda money and it would be a proper sports watch I won't have to baby.

I hope they improve on it for the next release and make it waterproof. I would love to have one for swimming.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Dirk Pitt posted:

This is just flat wrong. It is the same band they charge 10k for and is universally agreed to be the highest quality. I used one and it felt quite nice. I am glad I ordered a black on to use while running and cycling to match the leather band I got.

Also, I too am excited about a watch that has a speaker, microphone, two buttons, and is water proof to swim with (just buy a garmin 910 and move on)

I am glad you feel a plastic strap is "universally agreed to be the highest quality". Also, you know what has a speaker, microphone, two buttons and is water proof?

This guy: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z3-compact/

Maybe it is not the impossible feat of engineering you think it is?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Picked up a black sports one from Apple Store yesterday and returning it tomorrow. Really tried to find anything good about it that justifies the price but I couldn't. Hopefully the second gen one will be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Agronox posted:

If you have 14 days it might be worth your while to wait a few more. It's a really nice device but it's subtle and it took me a while to figure out how it could be most useful.

Yea I do but I don't think it will change my mind. Don't get me wrong I don't hate the watch but I can't think of a single reason to justify spending $590 on it ( :canada: ). If it was $250 or less I would keep it for the novelty and I like the workout notifications but I will just wait and see what the second gen brings.

• Locked thread