Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
If it's mostly iMessages from people not in your contacts, you can filter it down using Filter Unknown Senders:

Filter out iMessages from unknown senders posted:

In iOS 8.3 or later, you can filter out iMessages from people who aren't saved in your contacts. Go to Settings > Messages and turn on Filter Unknown Senders. When you open Messages, you'll see a new tab for Unknown Senders.
When you turn on this option, you won’t get notifications for iMessages from Unknown Senders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Cultural Marxist posted:

I have a watchOS4 question. I was reading an article about it and came across this:

(full article here)

When it says that tunes will be synced to your watch from the Music app, does it just mean the app where you load your own music, or does it also mean tunes will be synced based on what you listen to with Apple Music the streaming service?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, I don't know, for example, if the two things (the songs you load onto your phone via iTunes, and Apple Music) are merged or what.

If you’re an Apple Music subscriber, you’ll see a few automatically-added items on your watch: albums and playlists from Heavy Rotation (that is, stuff you listen to often and lately with your Apple Music account), plus My New Music Mix, My Favorites Mix, and My Chill Mix (where available). This content is the same as what you’d see in the For You tab in the Music app on your phone. You can turn each of these off, and also choose to add your own hand-picked albums and playlists in Music settings inside the Apple Watch app on your phone.

If you’re not a subscriber, you’ll just get Heavy Rotation content added automatically (based on play counts of items on your phone).

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

killa-pope posted:

So this seems to go along with Apple’s official instructions, but doesn’t match up with anything else I found on a quick search. I unexpectedly got a replacement iPhone today, before I could unpair my watch. During setup, I was asked if I wanted to use my watch with the new phone and when I hit yes, the progress circle popped up on the watch as if it were erasing ... but when it came back, it was exactly as it was before, just paired to the new phone. I didn’t have to reinstall apps or even add my cards back into Wallet.

Thought that was really cool.

It’s new as of iOS 11.1 and watchOS 4.1.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
Previously when you got a new phone, you had to:

- unpair your watch from your old phone
- make a backup of your old phone
- restore the backup to the new phone
- pair the watch to the new phone (and restore the watch backup saved in the old phone backup)

With the update, you don’t need to unpair; when you restore the backup of the old phone to the new phone, the new phone asks if you want to use the watch with it. You then confirm it on the watch, the progress circle comes up for a bit while it syncs up with the new phone, and after that it’s good to go.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Jealous Cow posted:

I noticed that the 5th ave Apple store has Editions in stock, and I’m heading to NYC today for work, so... :signings:

Any suggestions on bands for the grey ceramic?

All the Sport bands and Woven Nylon look great with either the grey or regular ceramic. For something fancier, try the Space Black Milanese Loop.

• Locked thread