Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

rear end Catchcum posted:

What's the expected battery life or do we not know that yet

No one knows for sure but rumours are it will be bad, like moto 360 "can't get through a day without being off most of the time" bad. Which seems in line with how high-quality the screen looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Where are these "rumors"?

quote:

According to our sources, Apple opted to use a relatively powerful processor and high-quality screen for the Apple Watch, both of which contribute to significant power drain. Running a stripped-down version of iOS codenamed SkiHill, the Apple S1 chip inside the Apple Watch is surprisingly close in performance to the version of Apples A5 processor found inside the current-generation iPod touch, while the Retina-class color display is capable of updating at a fluid 60 frames per second.

Apple initially wanted the Apple Watch battery to provide roughly one full day of usage, mixing a comparatively small amount of active use with a larger amount of passive use. As of 2014, Apple wanted the Watch to provide roughly 2.5 to 4 hours of active application use versus 19 hours of combined active/passive use, 3 days of pure standby time, or 4 days if left in a sleeping mode. Sources, however, say that Apple will only likely achieve approximately 2-3 days in either the standby or low-power modes

Apple has also been stress-testing the Apple Watchs battery life with pre-bundled and third-party applications. Our sources say that Apple is targeting 2.5 hours of heavy application use, such as processor-intensive gameplay, or 3.5 hours of standard app use.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/22/apple-targets-for-apple-watch-battery-life-revealed-a5-caliber-cpu-inside/

quote:

Apple was originally shooting to eke out an entire day of battery life from Apple Watch. Obviously that's not all active use; in fact, the company is said to be shooting for 2.5 to 4 hours of active application use with the screen turned on. That'll vary depending on how heavily you use it, of course. But since the wearable's display will often be turned off throughout the day and because the iPhone handles a lot of computing tasks Apple is apparently hopeful that the watch can make it from morning until you place it back on the wireless charger at night. 19 hours of combined active and passive use seems to be the bar as of right now.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/22/7873649/apple-watch-battery-life-will-be-just-like-any-other-smartwatch

Not exactly hard to find...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Super Dude posted:

I've slept with a large watch on for the past decade. It's something you just get used to.

It depends on your climate. Doing this in the Pacific Northwest is a good way to get your arm amputated eventually.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What does that mean? Genuinely curious

Stuff grows everywhere in temperate rainforests. If you keep something pressed against your skin 24/7 when it's near 100% humidity all the time, it's gonna get nasty. Basically the human version of this

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The watch will have sapphire glass but yeah poo poo happens. I smash my smartwatch into doorknobs all the time, and with my Samsung I managed to unclasp it and toss it face first into concrete just by standing up on stairs (snagged on the handrail).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

All the old ladies at work know about the Apple Watch. Doesn't sound like they're interested, but they're aware and that really shows the marketing power Apple brings to the table.

I've been wearing smart watches for a long time now but it was just a weird glowing watch to them, no curiousity.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My biggest hurtle is spending so much money on something that will be replaced the year after and possibly hard to sell. And if the bands aren't compatible well then gently caress. And that's not out of the realm of possibility given how many different chargers and cables apple goes through.

This might be :canada: lack of supply effect but I've had no problem selling smart watches for close to what I bought them for on eBay (Samsung Gear Fit, Samsung Gear Live, Moto 360).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CaptainCrunch posted:

This is me. Get out of my brain.

I'm on my fourth smart watch already and continue to read about Apple Watch despite not having an iPhone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I actually do use my nose to activate my G Watch R for voice control sometimes. The screen, that is. I must look super cool doing it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I think trying to cram apps into a watch is backwards thinking. It's not supposed to be another phone. It should tell you the time, use voice control and show notifications. My only complaint about current smart watches is how ugly they all are.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Agronox posted:

Wait, really? Have you guys seen the Moto in the wild? The thing looked huge. I can't imagine any but the largest of women wearing it really.

I don't know how the Apple Watch looks in person but at least there's a smaller size.

My watch is bigger than the 360 and it would look silly if it was any smaller. People are different sizes and I'm not especially huge. I just took this pic

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Not trying to poo poo on you or anything but I can't help but lol at the bezel on that thing every time I see it.

Hey man sometimes I forget where the 45 minute mark is ok

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Haggins posted:

I just hate going to the mall or other hard to park crowded places Apple stores are typically located. My mall is completely hosed all the time. It seems like they have plenty of parking but I have to fight like it's Black Friday for spots in the boonies. I don't mind walking but it takes probably 15-20 minutes to get to the store then about the same back. Including time finding a spot, going to and from the store, doing what I need to do in the store, I'm pushing 2 hours wasted.

I was in Portland on easter weekend and the city block-long Apple Store still was packed with people when everyone should've been home with their families talking about Jesus's sacrifice and stuff.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RVProfootballer posted:

The Moto 360 was pretty well received because people actually liked how it looked and, like the Apple Watch, the worries about battery life were overblown. An "Asus Zenwatch" also seems to have gotten good reviews, though I don't know much about it. Obviously those aren't Sony or Samsung, but they are definitely "someone like Sony or Samsung."

The 360's battery was really, really bad at launch and fixed in an update to make it passable (if you consider the screen turning off every two seconds passable) later on. People just love the way it looks, because it is far and away the best looking smart watch, and overlook everything else about it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jose Oquendo posted:

Send a dickbutt digital touch.

Ugh Apple behind the times as usual :rolleyes:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Looks like the bottom part of your LCD is broken. Might wanna get that checked.

Pardon, I have the G Watch R with a fully circular screen and completely not useless minute markings around the bezel. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go take an emergency photo of an elk for my company's magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGx0_ChcD9A

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Haggins posted:

It's probably because most teenagers don't have any money. If they want one they're probably going to have to wait until their birthday or Christmas. At least that's how it was for me growing up.

Now you just wait for your Minecraft let's play youtube cheque.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

gret posted:

Her wrist is perfectly sized for a Moto 360.

Eh?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

io_burn posted:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of whatever meetings they were discussing their original product allocations because I have no idea how you'd even do that with a totally new product lineup with any kind of accuracy beyond "I don't know just make a bunch." Even trying to analyze similar products seems crazy because I don't even know what you'd compare it to because no smart or fitness watch has ever been so aggressive about elbowing its way into a "fashion item" or whatever the appropriate buzzword is.

The concern is usually making too many, not making too few. Android Wear has pretty much been a bust sales wise (i love the product personally) so they were relying completely on brand/marketing to hit it big.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just learn to draw a dick with your nose. Or your dick.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Poor Chinese man finds apple watch edition while searching through dog feces for edible scraps.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

And is it a really good insult? I was bored at work a few weeks ago and played along with some scumbag Indian place trying to get me to install malware on my PC. After he caught on that I was dicking with him he started calling me a sister loving cocksucker that eats poop or something and I was like drat I really wish I had some sort of insult that cuts really deep at some Indian piece of poo poo scammer. I feel like I should know more culturally specific epithets now that we live in a global village.

Calling them a Paki seems effective in the three British commonwealth countries I've lived in. Same goes for calling a Kiwi an Aussie or a Canadian a Yank. We hate the tribe we're closest to.

I'm married to a half Indian whose family is from Kenya, that gets tricky. "You're from the east side of Nairobi!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Drastic Actions posted:

Got a new watch face

Amazing. May I suggest this photo next

• Locked thread