Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
killa-pope
May 21, 2008
New Apple Watch junkie here. Is there a way to limit the preview length in Mail notifications? The watch app shows only a couple lines preview in the inbox, but new message notifications show the entire email sometimes, which makes it a pain to get to the options at the bottom. Am I missing something obvious here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Zwille posted:

Cover it with your hand and activate it again (tap, button press or raise your wrist). You should be back on the regular watch face now.

I guess I'm looking more for a way to easily access the mark as read/archive options. Seems like doing that would just give me access to the normal notification "Dismiss" option. Is my only choice to scroll way down or switch to the mail app?

I had no clue about cover to turn off the display though. Did it a couple times on accident, nice to know how to do it on purpose. Thanks!

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Didn't work either. Guess I'll have to go into the mail app or scroll all the way down to archive or whatnot. First world problems.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Have you tried swiping the message from right to left? That may/should give you a "... More" button which you can tap and mark it as read.

Yeah. That works in the app, but not on the initial notification. Tried on the body and header of the notification. Which, it doesn't seem to work if you're reading a message in the app either, so I guess it's somewhat consistent at least.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Anybody have problems with passes not showing up on the watch? Everything that was in Wallet when I paired the watch is there, but I added Walgreens and Speedway earlier today and they still haven't shown up. The Watch app seems to only have settings for payment cards.

e: never mind. After about 3 reboots of watch and phone, toggling airplane mode on the watch this morning fixed it. Go figure.

killa-pope fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 5, 2015

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
I bought this one for my watch and phone. Has a decently heavy base so it doesn't move, and a bit of rubber matting around the watch charger to help it stay in position. Still twists a bit when you bump it but not horribly so.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Does anybody have a favorite to-do/reminders that they use? I have fantastical 2 and while I love it on all my other devices, the watch app is horrible.

Anyway, I started using Fantastical because it actually syncs with iOS reminders. Does anything else do that? The closest I've found is to-doist which would require IFTTT as a middle app, which I'd rather avoid if possible.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Y'all are haters. Just think of it as a Today screen/widget panel on your wrist.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Reminders Plus or Reminders Nano, to let you actually see a reminders list (and check off items).

Seconding Reminders Nano. The iPhone app is poo poo (keep using the stock app there) but the watch app is a dream.

Also DarkSky and whatever comes along with a non-stock-mail-app, unless you like scrolling through the entire inevitably-too-long message to deal with it from the watch. Mailing lists are the worst for this.

Otherwise, any functions that you might use widgets for great. Sports scores and the like.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anyone know how well watchOS 4 is working on series 0 watches? I'm probably going to hold off on getting a series 3 and hope it doesn't cripple my 0.

You’ll be fine. I’m running the beta on mine and it’s got no performance problems.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
I had this problem just the other day. I can’t say if it’s existed before since I don’t frequently install apps to the watch, but it definitely threw me for a loop. That being said, I rebooted the phone once and new downloaded apps seem to be showing up in the list immediately as would be expected, so while it’s inconvenient I don’t think it will be an “every time” thing.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
So this seems to go along with Apple’s official instructions, but doesn’t match up with anything else I found on a quick search. I unexpectedly got a replacement iPhone today, before I could unpair my watch. During setup, I was asked if I wanted to use my watch with the new phone and when I hit yes, the progress circle popped up on the watch as if it were erasing ... but when it came back, it was exactly as it was before, just paired to the new phone. I didn’t have to reinstall apps or even add my cards back into Wallet.

Thought that was really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

PZ Smeltzenseltzer posted:

Previously when you got a new phone, you had to:

- unpair your watch from your old phone
- make a backup of your old phone
- restore the backup to the new phone
- pair the watch to the new phone (and restore the watch backup saved in the old phone backup)

With the update, you don’t need to unpair; when you restore the backup of the old phone to the new phone, the new phone asks if you want to use the watch with it. You then confirm it on the watch, the progress circle comes up for a bit while it syncs up with the new phone, and after that it’s good to go.

Yeah, this. It’s such a small thing but makes all the difference in the world. I was dreading going through the pairing process just because of how long it takes. This cuts it in half.

• Locked thread