Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah that has me really scratching my head as well. Who is dumb enough to spend 10k on a watch that is going to be outdated and replaced a year from now? And reselling will be harder than with an iPhone/iPad because the watch market is smaller, the askin price will be higher, and you have to find someone that wants the watch the way you customiZed it.

I would honestly be happy if apple didn't release a watch every year.

Maybe they will make it so the band's always fit even with future generations, so you can save some money that way? Though if any form factor changes down the line that could impact that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Any idea what the steal stretchy band with the links will go for? That's not an Edition one, right?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If they come out with a watch every year I am going to complain.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What's the expected battery life or do we not know that yet

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Super Dude posted:

Something tells me it won't be weeks.

Even the pebble only lasts a week

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm saying your battery expectations are pretty cray, brah

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What does that mean? Genuinely curious

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I just backed a pebble time steel. I like the look of the steel apple but can't afford to pay that and don't want to buy a sport and get less quality housing and glass. Plus the Pebble Time has way better battery life and isn't a 1st gen device.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
So the sport is a real piece of poo poo compared to the watch huh

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What features?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Honestly what's the better watch pebble time steel or apple watch sport?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

This was asked of me two pages ago when I said that there are some features that make the watch seem like it would be cool to own (at around 350 bucks maybe and 1000+ definitely not).

I live in NYC and I'm constantly listening to music with headphones on walking around. Every time I get a text or need to check how many more blocks away something is or relying on Siri to understand when I ask her to play an obscurely named Powerviolence band are all things that the Watch could remedy. Glance down at my watch - the coffee shop I'm on my way to is two more blocks up and to the left. If I'm out for a run and I want to change music I can do it more precisely on my Watch than I could with Siri, and instead of pulling my phone out of my pocket with sweaty hands and fumbling with the screen.

These may seem terribly specific but I can only speak from my own experiences, not everyone will find these same things useful at all. I feel that the inherent usefulness of the Apple Watch will be to limit the amount of time you spend using your phone for really quick actions. I've recently become one of those "I should try and stare at my phone less" people so while I'd still be looking at a device, I would be doing so with more specificity. Some people are in the camp of "oh it's just two seconds who gives a poo poo?" But all of those two-second interactions add up.

I feel you, man. Same situation (nyc and music) and just so you know you can do all that with a pebble (and, I'm sure, other watches). That's why I was asking, I guess. I'm trying to see what features are specific to this device that make it worth the ridiculous amount of money.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

I can imagine a year from now many hundreds or thousands of apps will be on the Apple Watch App Store and will be nicer and more functional than on the Pebble App Store.

Then why not just buy that watch when it comes out?

That's what makes me so frustrated with this apple watch. They release a new product every year which automatically makes you feel like you own an inferior product the second a new one comes out. I've had every single iPhone, and the first one was a pretty cool device but in retrospect was such a joke. I'm going to try and learn from myself and sit this first one out, and come play ball when the second generation is released.

The pebble store does lack apps but honestly the pebble is a simple thing that interacts with my phone well. It sends me notifications so I don't have to take my phone out, including Google maps directions.

Also I really really wanted that stainless steel apple watch but gently caress paying a grand to rent it for a year before I try and flip it. I'll get the very similar looking pebble for 1/4 the cost.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Isn't this the same with every new tech?

It is; but, for whatever reason, I think it's going to be harder to flip a watch than a phone, or computer. Those are really the only tech things I buy (both from apple). I don't feel like televisions or game systems come out that fast. Apple didn't even use to come out with a new phone every year.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

gypsyshred posted:

Ok, heres my plan, tell me if this will work out. I buy the Sport, and tolerate the ugly rear end plastic band until a nice third party product comes out. The Sports body shouldn't feel to cheap, no?

Isn't it the same body as the iPhone 6 or a Mac air? Aluminum? Rub your iPhone all over your body and see what you think.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

What?

1st gen: June 29, 2007
3G: July 11, 2008
3GS: June 19, 2009
4: June 24, 2010
4S: October 14, 2011
5: September 21, 2012
5C, 5S: September 20, 2013
6 / 6 Plus: September 19, 2014

Hey, sorry, my memory was a little off. I guess I meant they were not half updates they were full revisions. I guess that's even more worrisome; what if that happens with the watch?

My biggest hurtle is spending so much money on something that will be replaced the year after and possibly hard to sell. And if the bands aren't compatible well then gently caress. And that's not out of the realm of possibility given how many different chargers and cables apple goes through.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah, me too. I'll pebble time in the meantime, which is their 2nd product

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Lol if you really think we're going to have cars 20 years from now.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Saw this and was like wait what

"The Apple watch is a planned obsolescence at around 1 year maximum life.

Simply put, li-ion battery's are limited in the number of charges they can handle. If you only half use it and then charge, that counts as a half charge. Well, Pebble might get charged quite often at small amounts and far less often, but the Apple watch is going to be near completely depleted EVERY day. Couple this with the expected lifespan of a li-ion battery at 300-500 charges, and you find that ONE YEAR later you've pretty much used up the Apple watches battery life! Of course they plan to offer a crazy expensive battery replacement option. But the fact it the design is intended to last only about a year."

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Whatever. Enjoy your tech demo, nerds.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I charge my pebble every 6 days for almost 2 years also I can use any band with it.

Apple LOVES loving people. They don't HAVE to, but they love to.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

They've been working on the watch for years. They're a multi billion dollar company. I'm sure they tested the battery tech longer than a year to see the lifespan.

Such a crazy amount of armchair critics in this thread.

?? Don't you think they tested the first iPhone for a long while? That poo poo was missing features a prepaid phone could pull off.

Apple, especially nowadays (rip stve) cut corners and intentionally hold poo poo back so they can have stuff for the next model, while still price gouging you.

I'm sure their products are tested, I think it's more they know people will still buy them no matter what. If they were super concerned with the end user experience and customers getting the best product for their buck, poo poo like atteneagate wouldn't happen.

They gently caress you just because they can. They could have made it so the watch can use any standard watch band (and still release some apple bands with the cool clasp/magnet systems) yet they chose to make them proprietary and EXCESSIVELY expensive. I can be like, ok, another proprietary apple accessory, fine, I'll get past it. But to make them THAT expensive is just bullying and taking advantage of addicts.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yo I'm not saying future apple watches will be great but this one is only ok and not as good or priced as low as they could have and they don't do it because people like you will buy whatver they put out

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah but you don't want to be tethered to a cable that's attached to your wrist

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Spend your money on intentionally overpriced gadgets while children literally die of aids it's cool

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Sick anti Semitism. Another shinning example of the type of Neanderthals Tim is catering to that Steve would have brushed aside

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah at least the pebble is on v2

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If you think apple is Doing everything they can do and that's 18 hours you're a fool fan boy who will defend anything. Just admit you're a shill. It's fine. But acting other wise is just sad

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I was super interested in it and then they revealed it and now I'm super interested in April of next year when the Better one comes out.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Dude that's not the future that's loving lame.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If it's anything like their other products, replacements will be issued once a year.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Sorry; I meant you'll feel pressure to replace it once a year.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If apple honestly gave a poo poo about their customers their "sport" model wouldn't be of less quality than their standard model. Of all the models that should be the "toughest," shouldn't the sport be the most rugged and able to hold up to abuse? But no, they decided to make it from lesser materials and water resistant and oh need to be tethered to your phone to do anything sporty. Enjoy your swim!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
y'all are seriously being a bunch of fuckboys about this watch. they fuckin' you.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
guys, I'm right there with you. I've had the apple kool aid. I've had an iPhone since the 1st one. The difference is I learned my lesson. My eyes are open and I'm seeing critically. Apple is not giving you all they could. I think they even just released a statement saying that next year App developers will be able to make apps that work without the phone. They are basically blatantly telling you this generation isn't all it could be, even when it could. They purposely hinder their devices so they can premiere a "Better and Bigger than Ever!" the year after. Wake up.

This isn't Steve's Apple. This is Tim's.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I feel like you people are purposefully ignoring what I'm saying. I'm saying Apple is purposefully holding features back and short changing their customers, MOST glaringly with this Watch.

There are features they could very easily put in right now, but are holding back for later models, which pretty much means they're ripping you off. And if that's a company you want to keep supporting, that's fine, but as technology gets cheaper and cheaper, they will have competitors that challenge them and not be too far off, which hasn't been the case in the past.

Why is the Sport the least sporty?

Why is the battery life a joke?

Why is the base model as much as unlocked iPhone?

Why do I have to use their straps?

Because they a bunch of assholes and you a bunch a fuckboys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I have never seen a fit person use a fitness app. I see a lot of out of shape people who buy them thinking they will magically help them lose weight. Counting your steps and heart beats, big whoop. What do you do with that info? What does that translate to.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Congrats on your weightloss, truly. I personally just don't see how looking at your heart rate after a good work out or during is going to make that change. Calorie counting and stuff is great (if used correctly and kept up with and sustainable)but that's all on the phone side of things, not the watch.

I also feel like I was misconstrued last time I was in here. Sorry if I seemed like I was trolling or whatver. I think smart watches are great. My only complaint is that apple isn't delivering the best stats they could but charging like they are. They could be giving you more for your money but they aren't, they're holding back for v2, etc. And cool, you're ok with that, I just personally think we vote with our $ and if we held out they would have to get past the "we're apple, they'll buy whatver we put out."

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 6, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Zero appointments under Steve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If anyone apple employees read this thread and don't plan on using their discount I would be very interested in working something out.

• Locked thread