Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
poo poo's thin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
yes, whenever i type i just look at my keys and cry in sadness

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
infinite battery life

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
charge while using HDMI? ha nope.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
but drat that gray version looks so good

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
IVE VIDEO :siren:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I keep thinking they are saying "terrorist structure".

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
$1299 nope

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
$1299 is too much for something that is a ipad with a trackpad and keyboard.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

lelandjs posted:

But it's not an iPad? At all?

ipad thinness + battery life + lack of wired connectivity. sure, it runs mac osx but it feels like macbook air/pro heavily simplified.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
comes with the iPouch to hold all the dongles you need (dongles not included)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
My pebble does all this stuff but it's only $99 so this means I'm poo poo and my watch is poo poo.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
RICH NOTIFICATIONS revolutionary typography, revolutionary battery life in that there is none

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
recap is happening, it's all over now.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Transparent aluminium incoming.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Aluminium so amazing, we aren't going to make our laptops out of it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
$1000~ range incoming.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Limited loving edition until the newest one comes out next year fuckers

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's a loving table tim

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
If i'm paying $10k I want my watch to not be a $349 watch in a nicer body.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Please everyone pat yourselves on the back

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Buy a watch, or just the band for the watch, for the same price! What a loving steal

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

shodanjr_gr posted:

According to the Watch site, it's got IPX7 water resistance certification. Kinda weird they didn't highlight that...

Also, the 18 battery life estimate includes about 45 minutes of app usage time which feels very substantial...Just using it for checking the time yields two days. They got detailed estimates here: http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html.

If you're buying a >$349 dollar smartwatch you better be using it for something other than time.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

shodanjr_gr posted:

Yes. But if you are spending 45 minutes of your day actively inside a watch app, then you should have probably pulled out your phone any way. My point is that 18 hours is actually a very conservative estimate.

I don't believe so. While they are actively pushing the "glance" aspect of the watch, its still a lot of things at a time to glance at. Additionally, reading emails, sending texts, sketching dicks and sending heartbeats all add up. I think most people's watches will be dead by the end of the day, if not earlier.

And yes, people buy plain watches for that price all the time. But those are fashion accessories, and there are hundreds of them to choose from... I know Apple is pushing the fashion aspect but still. Its still the internals of a $349 watch in a >$10k version.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

gret posted:

So will the Apple Watch, especially if you're happy with just using it to tell time. Remember, quartz watches also need periodic battery replacements.
Apple watches will follow the standard apple mantra of "newer is better" and if you can afford a $10k watch you can afford one a year.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
At the end of the day, the Apple Watch will be a success and will be improved upon with upcoming generations. It doesn't matter how lovely it is now, it'll (probably) get better and then eventually we'll all forget how trash it was.

Remember the first generation Air? The one you couldn't charge using standard magsafe without slightly moving it off a table? Yeah, me neither.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

The "half updates" have arguably been some of the most significant revisions, it's the case design that has only changed every two years.

I disagree, most of the tick updates have been internal updates except for touchID. 3G > 3GS was speed, 4 > 4S was Siri/speed/fixed antenna, 5 > 5S was speed and TouchID.

For tock updates, 2G > 3G was the addition of 3G, 3GS > 4 was retina display, 4S > 5 and 5S > 6 was speed/screen size.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Congratulations to Apple for creating a strap that can hold together under such enormous pressure.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Was it Macrumors were I read some post about how this guy literally had an Apple product in every facet of his life? His TV was an iMac with a TV tuner, his children all had their set of ipads/iphones/macs, and when one of his things broke down he sent a sobbing email to tim about how he was gay for apple a big fan and if he could potentially help get something repaired out of warranty.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Any time I buy a new computer for my company I use my email address when registering. I could be a god on those forums.

Don't do it. Someone will get jealous and empty their life savings to try to match you.

Actually on second thought, go do it. They are already in debt anyhow. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The apple watch is so intuitive and simple to use that it starts fights about how simple and intuitive it is

• Locked thread