Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Logikv9 posted:

$1299 is too much for something that is a ipad with a trackpad and keyboard.

It just needs a Hub.

I have 5 things plugged into my Pro right now (power, Thunder to DVI, Thunder to Ethernet, Headphone, and USB).

I like it. No fans? Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
gently caress yeah, stickers.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Magic Moon Aluminum. From space.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Moon Steel

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I expect to see dwarves hammering away at this poo poo.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Super Dude posted:

+$50 for man size.

Well, men make more, so they have to pay more. Right?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'll pay the $10,000 and then keep dickbutt as my watch face 24/7.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So just how awful is the "Composite" back?

As far as I know, Apple used it in the 1st-gen ("Series 0") aluminum watches, they use it in the Series 1 watches, and they are still using it with the new Series 3 (non cellular) watches.

Apple feels it's sufficient, but any time I look up what it's made of (as the word "composite" by itself means next to nothing), I find page after page after page where people poo poo all over it and talk about how terrible it is.

Obviously a "composite" (plastic) back isn't as durable as a ceramic/glass/sapphire back, but does it need to be? It's either on your arm or on a charger.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is this thread working yet?

Edit:

What are the chances of an Apple Watch shipping early?

An iPhone 8 ordered after release had something like a "2 week" delivery estimate.

For example, my current iPhone 8 (256GB) was ordered on Sep 28th and Apple gave me a "Delivers by Oct 12" message... but then suddenly on the 29th or 30th the order changed to "Preparing to Ship", and it was in my hands by Oct 2nd.

My order for a Space Black Stainless Steel at the same time still has its November delivery date listed.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 6, 2017

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
That InStockNow Is In Stock site let me know that my local Apple Store got a 42mm Space Black Stainless Steel watch in.

I quickly ordered it from their site and selected the in-store pickup.
After picking it up I then cancelled my existing *November* online order.

I got the Black Sport Band for it. Very nice.

Does anyone know how supplies for these work? It seems like local stores (Apple, Best Buy, etc.) may get a single watch every few days. But the online orders? Do those get sent out as the watches are made, or do they stockpile them in a warehouse until they have "X units" to all send out at once? (to save on shipping costs?)

edit:
Corrected
https://www.isinstock.com

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 13, 2017

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

The watch has a phone number that makes calls, so very likely you’re getting hit with both the 911 fee, any other fees by state or fed Gov, plus maybe even admin fees. Hard to say, I haven’t seen a bill for one yet.

It's a data-only phone number. It cannot send or receive calls.

And for the small amount of data it would ever use, any charge above $5 (total) is a ripoff.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
When I download an app that has an Apple Watch app I want to use, it does NOT appear on the "Available Apps" list in the Watch app, so I cannot install it on the watch. Having "Automatic App Install" enabled/disabled makes no difference.

Rebooting my iPhone seems to refresh the "Available Apps" list, as the app I want is then listed, and any app update I've downloaded recently from the App Store will also install.

I Googled the issue, and the first page I found that seemed to specifically mention the issue I was having (https://www.imore.com/apps-not-installing-your-apple-watch-heres-fix) straight up says "your iPhone may need a reboot to properly sync its app collection".

Rebooting my phone EVERY TIME I want to install an app on my watch seems pretty stupid.

Is this an iOS 11 thing?

This is a brand-new iPhone 8 and Apple Watch Series 3. They had a fresh/clean install of iOS 11 and watchOS 4, not restored from a backup or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah I love how it lists the S3 as $329. Which is normal price.

Actually, the Target ad lists the Series 3 for $329.99. Apple's regular price is $329.00.

So their Black Friday "sale" lists it for 99¢ more than what it costs to get from Apple any day of the year.

• Locked thread