Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Reading Mac rumors makes me a little sad for humanity. I am excited for the Apple watch, but I don't think I could ever get near that 'level of excitement.' Are they always that bad?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

Also there's a whole treasure trove of threads around the launch of the iPad when making Maxi Pad jokes and calling it a big iPhone failure was the pinnacle of comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

shodanjr_gr posted:

FYI I have a May 13- May 27 order and my credit card just got charged!

What kind of watch did you get?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

shodanjr_gr posted:

42mm sport silver with white band.

Dang it. My ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ with link bracelet is in the May shipping batch and I ordered at like 12:05. Hopefully some magic happens.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

shodanjr_gr posted:

My order was actually pretty late too. Confirmation was at 12:13 or so.

It seems like ALL the link bracelets are shipping late.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Smashing Link posted:

Consensus is the sport band is best for running?

Maybe a couple dozen people have actually used the Apple Watch beyond the try-on session, and of those I'm not sure how many of those ran with it on. There isn't a consensus yet beyond common sense.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Sell it on eBay for $3000.

When I preordered mine I preordered a bunch of 'em across multiple Apple ID's to be sure I'd get a launch day watch but I wasn't sure which one actually wanted to keep. My strategy was to just have like near-midnight preorders for everything I thought I might like, book a try-on appointment as soon as I could, figure out which I wanted then just cancel the rest. Surprisingly enough, the try-on appointments really were very open at my Apple Store, so I was able to go up there first thing, figure I liked the 42mm link bracelet the best, and then just cancelled all my other Apple Watches when I got back home.

I basically threw thousands of dollars in the trash doing that. :(

I mean I knew the Apple Watch would be hot but I don't think anyone saw this insanity coming, ever.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Nerd a-loving lert

I work for the TouchArcade/MacRumors/AppShopper family, having devices day one is real important.

Athletic Footjob posted:

Isn't he that guy that bought a Wii at launch under the pretence it was for a children's charity but he sold it on eBay?

If I would have known this was going to be the magnum opus of my SA forum trolling career I would've put more effort into it.

io_burn fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 23, 2015

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'm guessing there'll be custom Apple Watch NATO straps that have sensor cutouts. There's not much reason to think there won't be just as much (if not more) variety in the Apple Watch third party band market as there is in the iPhone case market.

The most hilarious part about all the Apple Watch rage on MacRumors right now is people go totally over the top about how they've been "lied to," or Apple should stop with the "celebrity hand-outs" and literally every other totally insane thing you could imagine in between... But are they deciding to vote with their wallet and cancel their Apple Watch orders because of these injustices? gently caress no, you're looking at grown men having temper tantrums. My personal favorite is this guy who is using the last few pennies of available credit he has to buy the Apple Watch- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1869526

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

DJCobol posted:

I spent about 10 minutes last night reading through some of the threads on MacRumors, and I feel much better about some of my lovely life choices now. People are calling for Angela Whatever her last name is to be fired for this whole "debacle". I want my watch as soon as possible, just like everyone else. It sucks that I ordered mine literally 30 seconds after the Apple store app came back up, and I don't have have a shipping confirmation yet, but a co-worker that ordered 5 hours later (exact same thing I did), who was given a June shipment date just got his shipping confirmation. But reading through some of those threads you would think that Tim Cook went to these people's houses and raped their mothers, killed their dog, burnt their house down, and then pissed on the ashes.

What's always amazing to me about the weird "gimme gimme gimme" attitude of these people is how they're looking for any possible opportunity to feel slighted. Apple, as a publicly traded company whose goal is to sell products and turn a profit, wants to ship as many of these watches as fast as they possibly can. Somewhere though, there's some kind of disconnect that Apple isn't shipping their watch because (insert laundry list of insanity here).

Edit: Seems like Apple just flipped the Apple Watch software switch, everything is live now in the App Store, Apple Watch App Store, and even Test Flight for Apple Watch junk. ...Now I just need mine to ship $TEVE!!! :argh:

io_burn fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 23, 2015

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

gohmak posted:

I can't front that I'm not a little pissed that I stayed up, ordered at 3:02am eastern and given a 5/13 ship date when some rear end in a top hat that decided to try on the watch first, ordered his at 3:00pm is getting one tomorrow.

But here's the thing with this, you ordered the specific watch you wanted based on watch case, band style, size, etc. Would you have preferred if you could have just bought your Apple Watch like buying concert tickets from Ticketmaster and just get shuffled into first/best available? I see the annoyance, don't get me wrong (especially as someone with a who knows when link bracelet order), but would you have chosen a different watch if it meant getting it a few days earlier? For something that's going to be on your wrist all day, that seems like an odd thing to compromise on.

Also http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1871764

io_burn fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 23, 2015

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to the phone conversation between that guy and an actual lawyer as he explains his case against greedy ol' Apple.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Jose Oquendo posted:

So what happened to make the Nimblebit folks unliked around here?

It's not just here, it's everywhere around the internet with a shocking majority of game developers. When the App Store launched, people could get away with charging $10 for a game, and everyone was happy. As more developers hopped on the App Store bandwagon, people needed a way to continue driving sales once being literally the only solitaire game (for instance) stopped being a main selling point. So, sales started happening, as that makes sense as a way to reinvigorate interest in your software. Sales eventually lead to prices at launch falling across the board, until everything just hit 99˘ by default. Once everything was 99˘, the only promotional vehicle developers had left was to make things free in hope that the surge of interest would result in more sales after the promotion was over. The reaction this caused was people who would be interested in buying software were effectively trained to just wait until something was free in a few weeks/months after it launched.

With consumers trained that everything will eventually be free, and developers happy to placate that, it lead to the inevitability of free to play coming about. Now games and apps are given away for free, and monetized via microtransactions. The consumer reaction to this is:

Snuffman posted:

I think its because (and I can't speak for that letter game) their "games" aren't really games, just timers with pay-for-fun-money attached.

The cool part is, from a business perspective it doesn't really matter anymore. 64% of revenue comes from 0.2% of players, so people being cranky on reddit/forums/twitter/etc about developers having the gall to have something you can buy are barely vaguely relevant in a business sense. Players can be as grumpy as they want to be about developers switching over to IAP models, because the fraction of people that don't give a poo poo actually don't give a poo poo to an extent that they're cumulatively paying more money than people ever paying "full price" did.

:science:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
The problem is this is what the developer hype train looks like right now-

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

BGrifter posted:

I thought it was that the NimbleBit people were lovely posters incessantly pimping lovely game-like cash grabs and beta codes? Who knew it was a much more complicated internet-wide backlash at developers over pricing models. :iiam:

Well, I mean, internet-wide isn't really accurate. The vast, overwhelming, statistical majority of people playing iOS games love free to play stuff largely because for every person mad on an internet forum there's dozens moms playing Candy Crush, dads playing Clash of Clans, and other accidental gamers who might play hours of free to play stuff daily but still don't identify as a "gamer" on any level- Even though the dedication required for high-level Clash of Clans (and similar) play rivals that of old school World of Warcraft raiding. Further complicating the issue is the fact that we now have an entire generation of children who have grown up thinking games should be free and the only things worth paying for have either "Minecraft" or "Pokemon" on the box.

So, it's really only internet-wide if you're specifically hanging out places where early 20's to mid 30 year old self-identified "core" gamers, techies, and other people who grew up with Nintendo hang out. No one else really cares. Reading all the reports on this kind of thing is pretty fascinating, particularly because of how much it all contradicts the internet confirmation bias of "Well everyone in the comments I read hates it so surely everyone must hate it." The same poo poo is happening with the Steam mod drama right now. 35k people have signed that dumb gently caress petition. Steam had 65m active users.

Anyway, yeah, Apple Watch. One of my guys finally got his so we're going to do a big rundown of the various Apple Watch games on TouchArcade at some point this evening.

R.I.P Link bracelet. :saddowns:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

DJCobol posted:

If anyone ordered the leather loop band I'd love to hear your impressions of it so far. I'm thinking about getting that one to go along with the sport band that came with mine.

That was the one I was most excited for in the try-on session. If I didn't know it was leather I would've assumed it was some kind of plastic. :(

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

This person on MacRumors is trying to argue the 38mm fits them.

io_burn fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 25, 2015

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

that's horrifying.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=21118890&postcount=71

quote:

Gosh, another woman in this forum with gorgeous nails. Sigh...I'm going to have to grow mine out again and put some polish on before I share my watch on arm pics.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
The OP doesn't like people saying her arm looks like a leg- http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=21120940&postcount=95

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Bottom Liner posted:

Why do all obese people claim to eat healthy and exercise frequently? I mean, we have eyes, we know you're lying.

This has never made sense to me either. "It's a glandular problem" doesn't exempt you from the simple laws of physics of energy in versus energy out.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

bobfather posted:

You sound like a whiny baby.

Wait, he might be pasting from MacRumos without quoting. Right??! Dear god please tell me that's what is happening.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Anyone following Apple Watch release rage should look into the various accounts of the Maxfield Apple Watch sale. Backing up a bit, Maxfield is an ultra-high end boutique in Los Angeles. They cater to celebrities and the ultra-rich, and while anyone can go in the store, it's the kind of place where they'll just have an unassuming pair of shoes sitting on a shelf made by some designer you've never heard of for $50,000 (which will actually sell). If you're a proper Maxfield "client," you've got someone who works at the store, knows your personal style, and calls you when they have things for you to buy. (As an aside, another interesting thing about this store is the people who work there work on commission and make an insane amount of money for a retail gig.)

Apparently, late last week news leaked that Maxfield was going to have a few Apple Watches for sale, so naturally, people started lining up. Thing is, unlike Apple Stores where Apple employees are haphazardly managing the line and keeping things "fair," Maxfield straight up didn't give a gently caress. The line grew into the hundreds, and they were taking upwards of 30 minutes to check out one person as they were allowing full try-ons of every model. Additionally, any regular Maxfield shopper was able to skip the line and just buy whatever they want. Then add in the Russian mafia (not even joking) allegedly swarming the line, buying up spots and watches, while the "core" Apple fan in line just gets angrier and angrier.

I can't' wait to see how the Apple Watch 2 launch goes, as I feel like Apple was pretty easily able to get all these supreme ultra-high end shops to sell the Apple Watch for them, wholly unaware of what it's like dealing with Apple people who need to have things on launch day. Maxfield is very much not a place where it's OK to sit outside of it with a camp chair munching on Doritos. On any typical day you go there they've got a security guard for their parking lot. If Apple wants to continually position the Apple Watch as a fashion item, stores like this are important... But reselling Apple products comes with very low margins, and loads of assholes.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
People in line who were bitching to the Apple People about poor communication, Russian mafia, VIP's skipping the line, etc, were told that this is a Maxfield event and they have no control over anything.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Kobayashi posted:

Sounds like you've inadvertently stumbled onto evidence that People Are Stupid.

No, I found that earlier- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1874436

quote:

The biggest flaw I see for the Watch is the lack of T9 typing. I really don't like using Siri. I think there's a consensus that Google Glass failed because it's socially awkward. Talking into your wrist in a public place is pretty awkward (altho not as off-putting as Glass).

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Hasters posted:

This is all due to GTAT, had they not been a bunch of lying douchebags there would have been enough sapphire to launch in fall like they wanted to.

So you're saying they should be fired?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

gohmak posted:

She is on record saying she wants to make long lines a thing of the past, many customers didn't receive their product on day one, sexism.

But I genuinely don't understand the connection between that and how this is all her fault. Would it have been somehow better for these idiots to have stayed up all night on the eve of the 24th outside of an Apple Store with everyone who wanted a link bracelet or modern buckle just straight up sent home, and everyone else after the tenth person or so given the bountiful option of a white or blue sport band with a 38mm Apple Watch? I just, gah. I WANT TO UNDERSTAND.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'd love to be a fly on the wall of whatever meetings they were discussing their original product allocations because I have no idea how you'd even do that with a totally new product lineup with any kind of accuracy beyond "I don't know just make a bunch." Even trying to analyze similar products seems crazy because I don't even know what you'd compare it to because no smart or fitness watch has ever been so aggressive about elbowing its way into a "fashion item" or whatever the appropriate buzzword is.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

EpicNemesis posted:

Yea but the guy who ordered the sports band watch with the shipping estimate of June who has his watch now whereas the guy (me) who had the classic buckle with a shipping estimate of 24th-8th still hasn't had it shipped. That's logistics.

It doesn't matter to me because I live abroad and I'm not getting mine realistically until June regardless. (I have to wait until someone can bring it with them from the states.)

I'm not saying supply isn't an issue because it is the main issue, but the lovely logistics is exacerbating things.

But at the end of the day, how much does this matter to Apple? They're selling absolutely every Apple Watch they have, profits are higher than ever, and investors are tripping over themselves to throw more of their money at Apple. This sort of makes the cranky MacRumors forum member calling for irrelevant (for supply problems, anyway) members of the Apple executive team to be fired inconsequential to a point that's so extreme it's hard to put into words.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

gohmak posted:

Why not? The most dedicated few at the front get their watch. Chinese students.

Because the more mainstream a product/service/whatever gets the less the hardcore segment matters as that slice of the pie continues to shrink.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

quote:

I got mine on launch day, but I think it's ridiculous that someone who ordered 10 min after the start of a preorder that was 2 weeks before release day has no idea when a watch will be arriving and no one seems to know. I was in the T-mobile iPhone 6+ debacle and remember the anguish.

quote:

I'm just curious to see how people are treating the watch. Personally, I think the watch will definitely be my "most personal device" and I think it will be the most important device I use instead of the iPhone, but I feel like putting it simply on my bedside table is lame

Since it is a wearable device, I'm going to make of the small drawers (actually is a jewelry drawer) in my dresser as my Apple watch drawer were I but the watch to charge every night and were I keep all the bands.

io_burn fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 28, 2015

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Snuffman posted:

People are weird about Apple stuff, but the watch seems to be tapping a special kind of crazy.

Is the still from macrumors?

Yes. I feel like there should be a YOSPOS thread for this sort of poo poo.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
A dude who works for me was supposed to get his Apple Watch today. Spends all day stalking UPS tracking, and suddenly it says it's delivered... Except there's no Apple Watch at his house. Hours on the phone later, and UPS decided they delivered it to the wrong address. The resolution? UPS decides the only thing they can do is give him the address of where they delivered it.

He drives out and it's just some confused lady who happily gives the box to him, but, holy poo poo. What a clusterfuck.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

shodanjr_gr posted:

Hey if he called Apple and complained, they'd probably send a second one, no questions asked. They always take it up with UPS.

The Apple solution was to refund him and let him reorder, they've got no extra stock for poo poo like this. :psyduck:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I love how bent out of shape people are getting about tattoos. This is the most unexpected, but delightful Apple Watch *gate.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

yamdankee posted:

Just another way for people to feel justified in their purchases or 'sides' they take. Supporters of Apple will say it's not a big deal, and the militant ones will judge others for having tattoos. Non-supporters of Apple will ask, "Wow, how could they make such an oversight?! Just another reason Apple is garbage. #teamandroid". When in all reality it's just the technical fact that the sensor can't work properly with different tones when it's designed to work with one tone. I don't know how you could possibly calibrate something like this. I guess that puts me in the Apple apologists category but it's simply a technical issue blown out of proportion as usual. I remember people saying the dye from jeans was getting on the antenna bands on the new iPhones.

edit: I can't spell

It's not polite to paste from MacRumors without linking the thread so we can enjoy the responses.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm sure that the v2 will have bioimpedance HR sensors like the Jawbone UP3 and use that for wrist detection instead. Apple reportedly wanted to use this but couldn't ship in time (like the UP3 and its ever-moving ship date goalposts). Apple's MO seems to be to wait and learn how other companies gently caress up the tech before using it themselves.

I seriously don't understand Jawbone's angle with their fitness trackers. Their entire schtick seems to be to release super bleeding-edge products that on paper would be absolutely amazing products that I'd love to have but in actual practical use are dogshit. Here's an excerpt from Wired's review of the Up3:

quote:

The $180 Up3, Jawbone’s latest wrist-worn fitness tracker, is very few of the things it promises to be. It’s wildly ambitious, and spectacularly flawed. Even after Jawbone took six extra months to improve and perfect it—thanks to production delays, because waterproofing is hard—it didn’t get it right. You shouldn’t buy it.

The first Up was so lovely they offered blanket refunds to everyone who bought it and just let everyone keep the device. Of course, so many of them broke so quickly it's anyone's guess how many of the people who took the $100 refund actually was still able to use it very long after checks went out... Up 2 was alright, but it basically was just years late to the market that Fitbit was already doing better with a device that was marginally better than the first one but significantly less hosed up. Up 2 was more like the Up 1, with the actual Up 1 being some kind of hosed up public beta or something.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I feel like the larger Apple Watch is going to be easier to use and big watches are very much in fashion right now so it's not like you're going to be the nerd with the massive calculator watch.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is anyone else in this thread in club waiting eternally for the link bracelet?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'll be curious how the third patty band ecosystem takes off, it already felt inevitable... But I wonder if there's going to be something weird going on with the proper "Made for Apple Watch" licensing sort of like the hoops accessory manufacturers jump through to get the "Made for iPhone" stamp of approval that ends up making everything artificially expensive. Either way, I'm sure everyone who didn't just order a sport band (like yours truly) is going to feel super dumb when the third party market inevitably releases way cheaper and way nicer bands than Apple.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm assuming there will be some expensive certification process to get the MFI logo on your watch band packaging and be able to actually call it a band for an Apple Watch without incurring a trademark violation.

This is exactly what they do with MFi game controllers and the reason why this costs $79.99 and the Android equivalent which looked and functioned identically (aside from using open Bluetooth standards instead of being locked into the Apple universe) retailed for $19.99. One of the many wonderful things about Apple stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Three Olives posted:

I do love that they are blaming Apple for optical sensors not working on people that have purposefully injected opaque pigment into their skin, what is their proposed solution? I suppose they could have gone with Jawbone's bio impedance sensors, wait, those are complete poo poo.

Spoilered just in case no one wants the Gizmodo magic ruined- The Gawker network is fueled by driving traffic and social sharing through faux-outrage.

• Locked thread