Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

illcendiary posted:

Upgradable in what sense? I really don't expect Apple to handcuff themselves to first generation hardware for years.

In the sense of sending it back to Apple, who would pop the back off your expensive gold Apple Watch Edition, remove the guts that were the same as the $349 model, and insert the guts of the next $349 Apple Watch released in 2016.

I would not expect this, though. At best I'd imagine they'd do a recycling program like every other device, with the recycling credit being related to the melt value of the gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I bought a Fitbit Charge HR and returned it as the HR measurements were useless. For at least some part of the population, it seems like optical HR sensors are basically just a random number generator.

For me, it would measure 30 bpm too high just sitting quietly in a chair, compared to taking my pulse and watching a clock. For others, there's a big thread on the Fitbit forums complaining about how they wore the Charge HR and a chest strap and the Charge read 50 bpm too low.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

flosofl posted:

Well, supposedly the watch has a discrete module that can be popped out (basically everything but the battery and screen stuff). I haven't heard any more on whether the existing watches can be HW upgraded that way for a lesser cost. If that's the case I'll have no issue buying the steel version. If it's not, I probably won't purchase any version.

I don't think it's "can be popped out" so much as that illustration was just to show it's a discrete module that contains memory, storage, and CPU. By cramming all the major pieces into one and then sealing it all into one package resin it makes the whole thing more durable.

Gruber started the idea by saying "why wouldn't they make that picture" but then astutely pointed out that think of what could happen if they did this starting with a 1st-gen iPhone. You could upgrade the CPU and storage but you'd still have EDGE networking, no gyro sensor, no compass, garbage camera & no front one, a thicker case, etc. Would you really want to use an iPhone 1 with iPhone 4S CPU/memory/storage, but iPhone 1 everything else?

A 2016 or 2017 Apple Watch is probably going to have major improvement in sensors, battery, maybe a thinner case, etc. that can't simply be upgraded with a CPU/memory/storage module.

The best we can hope for, I imagine, is that bands will be interchangeable a few generations out.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

illcendiary posted:

Is the average person really going to know that the gold watch is the same internally as the aluminum one, though?

Isn't that the point? It's a social signal to say "you and I both know this doesn't do anything special for the extra cost, but I have the money to blow on the frivolity of it."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Snuffman posted:

Unrelated, I've never heard of Vertu before. Consider my mind blown. :psyduck:

Getting a fair amount off topic, are those even good Android phones (I don't really know Android) or is it all about that creepy whatever-you-want-if-money-is-no-option concierge service? I never knew this insane luxury market existed, and I find it fascinating in a morbid way.

Android phones, at some point, are basically commodity level hardware; look at all the Android phones you can buy on Alibaba for $250-$300 each and get a 40' container worth of them if you want. So Vertu can get a cheap blank canvas to start with.

Take this $17,100 Vertu for Bentley phone. They mention Bang & Olufsen sound and Hasselblad camera, sounds prestigious right? But read closer, the sound was tested by Bang & Olufsen, and the camera was certified by Hasselblad. Of course, the "testing" and "certification" process was most likely simply testing and certifying that Vertu's checks made out to B&O and Hasselblad cleared the bank.

From the specs this thing looks like it would be about on par as a smartphone with a Galaxy S5 or any of its contemporaries, certainly no better, in every respect. But you get that concierge app. Also you get to carry this phone and see it match your Bentley. And when you're taking shots of your child at riding lessons or maybe Instagraming your dinner at the club even though the club frowns upon that poo poo, everyone will cast you a knowing nod when you mention the "Hasselblad" camera because they know Hasselblad things cost a lot of money and so you must have a lot of money too.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 13, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I would definitely first compare it to the current stable of Android Wear devices before you call it "bulky."

The Moto 360 is probably the one that looks the least bulky of the AW devices, and even then the 38mm knocks it out of the park.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

smackfu posted:

Has anyone figured out how the Apple Watch pairing works? If you try to start pairing in the app, it asks you to hold it up to the viewfinder... I wonder if that is just a trick to get you to hold it a certain position?

I imagine that on first boot, the watch shows a barcode (or some other encoded image) that allows the app to identify the watch and stand up a Bluetooth connection without you having to manually look for it in the settings and pair it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Maybe the Apple Watch will be different, but I've tried a couple devices with optical HR sensors and I've found them to essentially be random number generators. It was wrong both at rest and during a workout.

If you want to use HR to keep your workout at an appropriate intensity then maybe a chest strap is going to be best for you, regardless.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Karki posted:

Are they just facing reality that an uncrowded retail store may be better than the online experience, but they don't have uncrowded stores?

In addition to the already-mentioned fact that they've dramatically increased the number of product variations since the Apple retail concept took off, I think the crowding is definitely a thing.

When I went in to buy my iPad a couple months ago, I had to wait about 20-25 minutes for a salesperson to get to me. That's totally understandable, the Apple Store is perpetually slammed, let alone on a Saturday afternoon like when I came. I would've just ordered online for store pickup, except my company gets a discount and I have to actually show my business card to someone in a blue shirt.

Thing is, the door greeter will get you checked in and ask you to wait for them to get to you, but there's not really anywhere "good" to stand around and chill in an Apple Store while you wait. You're either in the way of employees running to and from the back of house, or you're standing within a mob of other customers and preteens taking selfies on the demo models. It's just not the "premium retail experience" that they originally pushed so hard with the store concept.

I wish I could either make an appointment to buy something, or if the wait will be longer than 5 minutes or so, send me a text message callback so that I can just go to Starbucks or something and come back to the store when they're ready for me. Either way seems more customer-centric.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

zen death robot posted:

If you just want a new iPad fast you can just go pop into a place like Best Buy, Wal-Mart or Target where you won't be dragged down by people getting good customer service from the people at the actual Apple Store.

The waiting is not the problem, it's that the inside of an Apple Store is a suboptimal place to wait. And I don't get a 10% discount on an iPad at a big box store, or if I buy it from Apple online or over the phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've got to agree with the Verge on the huge animated emojis; they're just kinda strange and don't fit the slick pattern of the rest of the watch. They look like high-res versions of the ugly/weird things from those sketchy "animated emoticon packs" you could install into Outlook (and have some adware come along for the ride), back in in like 2002.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

zen death robot posted:

Tim didn't read that extremely long email

There are a lot of words in there for what boils down to "I was not able to pre-order a consumer electronics product that was subject to high demand, and I am frustrated about this."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

io_burn posted:

I can't' wait to see how the Apple Watch 2 launch goes, as I feel like Apple was pretty easily able to get all these supreme ultra-high end shops to sell the Apple Watch for them, wholly unaware of what it's like dealing with Apple people who need to have things on launch day. Maxfield is very much not a place where it's OK to sit outside of it with a camp chair munching on Doritos. On any typical day you go there they've got a security guard for their parking lot. If Apple wants to continually position the Apple Watch as a fashion item, stores like this are important... But reselling Apple products comes with very low margins, and loads of assholes.

Were they really that unaware? For eight years now we've seen the hordes of Apple fans and their annual ritual of lining up for days to buy iPhones at launch.

And if anything it sounds like Apple was involved end-to-end with running the show.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

just_a_guy posted:

Angela and Apple made The correct business decision.

There are 36 apple watch models. All individually packaged. Apple had no way to gauge the success of the different models on a new category (for them).

Yep. This is absolutely unprecedented in terms of the number of product variations they're selling as retail packages, and they had zero data as to how well they'd sell at Apple scale.

Apple has basically mastered the art of letting demand pull the product rather than stuff a bunch of things out there and hope it sells. You never see Apple just mark down unsold inventory because nobody wants it anymore. Why? Apple's inventory turnover is something close to four days, which is basically unbelievable and something that just about no other company can touch. (that's old data from 2012 I chose because it's alongside other companies, but you can google yourself and find it's just as good if not better now).

So it's better to be conservative initially, learn what color/style combinations sell in what markets, and know that the vast majority of people who would buy an Apple Watch on launch day aren't going to resort to a Moto 360 or a Pebble if they have to wait. The tradeoff is you piss off some knuckledraggers on the MacRumors forums, but again, they're also the least likely ones to switch to Android and buy an Android Wear device out of rage.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm sure that the v2 will have bioimpedance HR sensors like the Jawbone UP3 and use that for wrist detection instead. Apple reportedly wanted to use this but couldn't ship in time (like the UP3 and its ever-moving ship date goalposts). Apple's MO seems to be to wait and learn how other companies gently caress up the tech before using it themselves.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The 38 seems so small compared to every other smartwatch out there that it's almost a pretty cool novelty unto itself.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, the teardown definitely puts to bed the idea that the CPU is just an easily upgradeable module that can be swapped out so your $10K gold watch is futureproofed.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

io_burn posted:

I'll be curious how the third patty band ecosystem takes off, it already felt inevitable... But I wonder if there's going to be something weird going on with the proper "Made for Apple Watch" licensing sort of like the hoops accessory manufacturers jump through to get the "Made for iPhone" stamp of approval that ends up making everything artificially expensive. Either way, I'm sure everyone who didn't just order a sport band (like yours truly) is going to feel super dumb when the third party market inevitably releases way cheaper and way nicer bands than Apple.

I imagine part of the price inflation on other MFI stuff is that if you want to make hardware that uses the lightning connector, then you must purchase the connector hardware (with the DRM chip inside) from Apple to put onto your device.

To add insult to injury for those manufacturers, the connectors were backordered for some time last fall; Apple was using all the production capacity to manufacture their own cables to bundle with every new iPhone 6.

I'm assuming there will be some expensive certification process to get the MFI logo on your watch band packaging and be able to actually call it a band for an Apple Watch without incurring a trademark violation.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

io_burn posted:

It's hard to say, at least on the MFi controller side of things I've never been able to get to the bottom of it because Apple Store distribution is so valuable that you'll never get specific details, just off the cuff comments from a bunch of different people that you can kinda sorta piece together into what's probably happening. It comes down to three things really: 1. the MFi chips and stuff come direct from Apple and sometimes can be the most expensive single component in a device. 2. The actual certification process itself is time consuming and expensive. 3. Apple has a lot of sway when it comes to the price points of things it sells in their stores, so you sell your product at the price Apple tells you to in order to avoid rocking the boat with your most important distribution channel.

Again no one ever comes out and says all this, but you hear similarly themed quips across the spectrum from anyone making MFi stuff when you ask why something is so expensive when it feels like it should be so much cheaper.

Yeah. I asked in the Cavern of Cobol iOS dev thread because I was looking to write an iPad app to talk to a Bluetooth label printer.

Here's what I learned. There is a completely and totally ridiculous Made for iPhone certification chain for bluetooth devices like that. The device first has to be MFI certified itself.

You then have to submit the app to the device vendor, who will whitelist it. They can impose their own conditions on whitelisting. Zebra, for instance, wants a copy of your app provisioned for ad-hoc distribution (they'll give you a UDID) and then after it meets some "it won't gently caress up while printing" standard of theirs, then they'll whitelist it. "Zebra may request modification to your app before final approval."

Finally, the vendor gives you a "product plan ID code" which you are to put into the App Store review notes when you submit the app.

gently caress that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is the black/black sport model really black? It looks dark in the picture, but they call the color space gray, and I know my space gray iPhone/iPad don't look that dark in real life.

Because of that I thought the only "black" model you could get was the Space Black aluminum one, which also obligated you to get a $500 band for it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

You mean steel? The black/black sport is pretty dark, I think the black band probably makes it look darker though.

Yeah, steel is what I meant, I haven't had any coffee yet this morning. But that was the only model they explicitly called out as "black," which had me wondering about the sport.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Gotcha. That seems darker than my iPhone does but I guess it's just an optical illusion because of all the black around it. Either way, looks nice.

I was sort of hoping for the black aluminum like the iPhone 5 had, but I'll grant that for a lot of people it seemed to have worn terribly and looked like trash after a year.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: nm, I can google

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 19, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Really impressed with the battery life even on the 38mm model. Going to bed with like 50% charge left.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I bought mine a week ago and I'm having second thoughts; I'm probably going to take it back. The hardware is awesome in every regard - it looks great, the battery life is wonderful, and it's the only smart watch around that doesn't feel like a boat anchor.

That said though I'm really feeling the software leaves a lot to be desired. The UI lag is a serious buzzkill, especially for "glances" where it seems like the point is to get in and get out really quickly. The navigation and UI in general just seems kind of convoluted, and trying to use the app launcher makes me feel like that guy at the carnival who writes your name on a grain of rice.

I'd hang onto this and just hold out for WatchOS 2 but I feel like there's no way to know whether it's going to be that much better of an experience.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yes I agree that is definitely the logical course of action. If WatchOS 2 makes it that much better I wouldn't feel bad at all about re-buying it.

edit: returned it tonight. I'll revisit this in the fall.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 28, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pipebomb posted:

Hate to ask, but is OS2 worth the install?

No. You can't revert the install without mailing it back to Apple, so if it is buggy or kills the battery on your watch, there are no takebacks. You get to wait the two-ish months remaining until OS2 goes GA.

Also, nobody can publish things to the App Store that would take advantage of the new features until the public release.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Drastic Actions posted:

Still not worth getting an Apple Watch if you were on the fence and were waiting for this update to magically change things, but for us who have it, it's good.

How are things in general, in terms of being more responsive, etc? I bought one, but took it back after a week pending better news from OS 2.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Drastic Actions posted:

I would say this; Find someone who has it installed on their watch and check it out for yourself. If the only reason you didn't like the Apple Watch was because it was not responsive, then it might be better now for you. I would argue that there are other reasons not to get one (Bulky, not the best looking, expensive for what it does) but that's just me.

I actually really dug the 38mm model and it seemed like the least offensive looking smartwatch out there.

My main gripe was that Glances were anything but, and the old school watchkit apps were pretty crappy in terms of responsiveness because it had to pipe it all from the phone.

I'll see how it goes when it WatchOS 2.0 gets further out into the wild, I guess. It may just be worth sitting on it until the next revision.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

Anyone have any issue adding a card to Apple Pay on their Watch without having a phone that supports Apple Pay?

My Capital One card synced up with my iPhone 6 flawlessly, but now that I've temporarily demoted myself to an iPhone 5c, it won't add to my Apple Watch.

My Chase card works just fine, though. Weird.

Could just be a temporary glitch with CapOne and whatever particular manner they use to provision the cards onto Apple Pay.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

I actually called a rep on the phone last night to chat about it. The girl on the phone was very confused about all of this and gave me some half-assed advice that if my phone doesn't support Apple Pay then I won't be able to get it to work at all. I'm not sure this is accurate, or maybe it is for right now, but it's not the end of the world.

Yeah, you definitely are supposed to be able to add a card via the watch regardless of your phone's ability to support Pay. I'd blame Capital One on this and maybe try it later.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204506

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I got mine half off due to the Target and Best Buy sales, but I'd feel really bad paying more than that $200. (Especially considering I *did* pay more than that when I bought a steel one that I promptly returned.)

Same. Bought a Sport in July, took it back after a week. Re-bought it after WatchOS 2.0 and the Best Buy deal. It's worth it at the cheap price but under no circumstances would I recommend paying full price for one.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've found the Apple Watch to be probably the best optical HR monitor I've had, although that bar for success is pretty low. The Android Wear device I had and the Fitbit Charge HR may as well have just been random number generators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

go look at his app that came out 3 years ago:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simply-breathe/id714391380?mt=8

Awesome job Apple!

Description: "Free for a limited time"
Price: $6.99

• Locked thread