Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I sit in an office all day so the charger at work is super nice to have. Especially since I started using that Autosleep app (which is really nice) so I’m no longer charging the watch overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Flash Gordon Ramsay”" post="“476581994”"]
So what’s the deal with the siri watch face? I don’t get what it’s supposed to do aside from being able to tap for siri (and I already use hey siri so have no need for that). I don’t get what the cards are showing? Like the other guy it wants it show me Apple’s stock price, which I never asked for.
[/quote]

You can edit/choose which apps/cards show up. It should basically learn to show what you use most. So calendar events, timers, ETAs, weather. It’s basically a more streamlined modular face that “should” learn to show you what you need.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The worst change was being able to choose the music source. What the gently caress was the reason for getting rid of this!!

If you have the latest and great Apple Watch LTE, you don't need a source!!!!

Actually I have no idea what they're doing with the music app because as it stands... it's loving terrible. Going to laugh real loving hard if the full music app of the past is now an LTE model exclusive.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also my watch has been stuck syncing music to it from the phone (the default playlists it suggested) since yesterday. So that’s been neat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zwille posted:

The Siri watch face is neat!

First card it had for me this morning when I woke up was my good morning HomeKit scene to turn on the lights. That was kinda neat and an actual "oh hey I actually was going to do that" moment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The LTE box is different than the other models and that's making me angry. Anyways, got my watch. Activating it with T-Mobile took no time and the restore to backup also was just a few minutes.

I'll play with LTE today but at a quick glance Music is still just what you've synced. So the whole Apple Music on the watch is... hoping you can ask Siri for a song/album?

EDIT: I took my watch to a couple of job sites this morning and left my phone in the office. Watch worked snappy as hell for directions, a quick phone call, and a ton of texting (using dictation). The one thing it didn't do at all was Music (since none was synced) and it didn't pair/connect to my AirPods which I thought it was supposed to just magically add the watch to devices it can connect to. This led to me trying to find some semblance of Bluetooth controls on the watch and there's none.

So yeah, I've no idea how to actually listen to music over LTE because at first glance the option isn't there at all. Once I synced a couple of songs it did pick up on my AirPods, though.

EDIT10000: just found online the music over LTE isn't available yet and will actually roll out at some point next month. So that sucks.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 22, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The current marathon world record is 2 hours and change. You can easily stream LTE music and track your pace with GPS and not worry about battery :smug:

GPS+LTE workout is 4 hours I think. If you have your music stored locally and only use LTE for notifications or a quick call I think you can get through it. So basically you now have a good motivation to get better at running!

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 22, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Went for a run just now with just the watch and AirPods. GPS tracked pace just fine and I even managed to respond to a few messages I got along the way. Holy poo poo it's loving great and I already love the little extra flair you get for meeting goals.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Addendum to that post: I'm switching the GPS tracking from fine to "eh, close enough". The pace ended up looking right but looking on runkeeper and comparing the track vs the route I took and you can see that the watch's GPS just wobbled trying to lock in. The path it shows looks like it was bouncing left and right about 30 feet each way and it cut every corner I took by a bit. So yeah, they can probably try to dial that in a bit more but I imagine that's more of a refresh/accuracy vs battery life thing they have to find a balance.

Here's a snipped from the website:

I ran on that concrete path. GPS is about 30' from it.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 23, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So is this thread stuck in the void? Can I even post this?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoldfishStew posted:

Yeah boy what is with that music app

They wanted to make it work really great with Apple Music over LTE. Then went ahead and removed all of it before release because it wasn’t ready. It’s supposed to be out this month at which point the music app will be able to have full access to AM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoldfishStew posted:

Does it sound better or does it sound like what we had before? Unless I’m reading it wrong to me it just seems like they gimped it to just be music on your watch and no longer access to all your phone music and now it will just be restored to what it was. Seems like me, a paying Apple Music subscriber, has taken a month or so long hit so they can prep for new LTE owners. Genuinely curious if I’m wrong about any of this.

You’re correct. Here’s a video of the music and radio apps on WatchOS 4.1. Last I checked it’s supposed to be out in October:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sP4WK70XXs

Video shows you have access to your whole library without needing to sync (just as before). Radio is going to be its own app.

• Locked thread