Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Got my stainless series 2 watch with link band yesterday and I'm in love. This is my first Apple Watch and it's exactly what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

beergod posted:

When are the S2's supposed to be available if you didn't preorder? I'm actually surprised they aren't available to purchase now, which is probably stupid of me.

I don't know I was looking for my wife and pretty much all the models on the Apple website says ship in 3-5 weeks.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have the gen 0 version. It is amazing looking. I ordered it at launch and it took 3 months to arrive but it was so worth the wait.
I like my stainless with link. It's a little more classic looking. The black one is cool I admit. But can you polish the black band or will that take the finish off?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

housefly posted:

So S2 owners who have owned the previous one. I have a few days left to return my original for a full refund. Should I go ahead and upgrade? Still on the fence. I'm not concerned about the price difference.

Just return the drat thing and upgrade. You get a faster processor, insane water proofing, potentially better battery life, and GPS. Also like some goons said when Watch OS4 comes out in a year Apple will probably pull a your watch is too lovely to upgrade thing.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jose Oquendo posted:

Define polish. I just use one of those pre-moistened wipes for eyeglasses whenever it gets dirty. Same for the watch case itself. My watch and band look fantastic.

Like actual metal polish for scratches.

Edit: Google says no. It's a thin black coating.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 18, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I really can't believe people would buy one of Apple's link bracelet bands, it literally costs more than the series 2 watch itself. I'm sure it's nicely made and all that, but come on... It's already an expensive gadget, save yourself £400 (!) and get a third party one.

I paid $1700 for my last Tag, a grand didn't sound too bad for a slick watch. I can forever move it forward when I upgrade too.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

xgalaxy posted:

"Forever". We'll see. I'm not convinced they will keep the current band connection design X revisions later.

Oh no, then I'll buy a new one in a couple revisions. If the 2018 model accepts it and I can get four years out of it I'll be happy.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 18, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rorus Raz posted:

Tweetbot mirrors my phone. I'm getting sound and haptic from messages, but nothing from this.

Maybe that specific app doesn't have vibrating watch enabled/coded in

Edit: I see your edit, that's gotta be it, the Tweetbot writer hasn't coded buzz on getting a twat or whatever.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Gold is by far the best color tbh

if you're a big gay baby

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Touché my big gay baby friend.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Martytoof posted:

I dunno, I'm kind of with you on this one. I really like the gold aluminum model.

The gold-gold one is probably over the top for me :smith:

They stopped making the stupid $10,000 gold gold one.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Martytoof posted:

I'm shocked.
People who have $10,000 to spend on a watch expect that watch to last more than a couple years.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
He's 750lbs and that's his basal metabolic rate.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah my morning ephedrine and caffeine gives me a pretty good work out.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I just looked and couldn't find one. Try removing poo poo from the dock. I think those apps run constantly. You can also disable background refresh for apps you don't think need it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Tatumje posted:

Will they do an always-on screen? I wonder if that is a priority at all for future releases.
Battery tech isn't there yet, I'm sure that was probably #1 on their priority list before being deemed unfeasible with current tech.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rorus Raz posted:

If you mean the canned replies, you can customize those in the Watch app.

He's talking about the "suggested replies" Apple throws you like five replies it thinks might fit before the customisable canned replies.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to turn off Breathe? It annoying to get reminded that when I'm working.

Yes, go into its settings in your watch app.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Seriously round face can eat poo poo. It's a devalued relic of time.

:ducksiren:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
My stainless S2 has a fingernailable ridge.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

rage-saq posted:

I heard about that ridge, anyone have any close ups? I've got an SS S0 and I'm thinking about an SBSS S2 but the one picture I saw of that ridge made it look kind of... not good.

I didn't know it existed until now.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

It's a nonissue it's not noticeable at all.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

MarcusSA posted:

One thing I don't like with WatchOS3 is that its not as easy to dismiss the notifications when they pop up. You have to scroll a bit for the dismiss button to pop up.

Force touch and clear all appears

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
You need an iPhone for it to function.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just got a new phone. Do I have to go through the unpair process on my old one first or is there a way to carry it over to the new one since I'm restoring a backup to the new phone?

Phone will tell you what to do, you wipe the watch and the phone restores it. So yeah I guess its the unpair process.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, unpair on the old phone, which will make the Watch backup to your phone. THEN back up your old phone to restore to your new phone. Then repair.

I didn't unpair first, maybe I lost an hour or two of watch data or something I don't know.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I use Otterbox defenders for the belt clip I need for my job and he first thing I do when I get them is rip out the screen protector.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rick Sanchez posted:

So if I got a Series 2 watch and turned off GPS and kept the screen at a decent brightness, would my battery last longer than the batter on a Series 1?

I don't think you need to turn off GPS, I think it'll only use that when using an exercise app without the phone present. I'm making that up but it makes sense.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
My stupid watch will only maintain speaker phone connectivity if right by the phone, is this normal?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

eddiewalker posted:

The switchover from phone-tether to known-wifi when you leave the presence of your phone takes a few seconds.

I feel like mine isn't switching over to Wifi properly. It just crapped out and loses connection if I leave the room.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 10, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

eddiewalker posted:

I feel like it doesn't switch over to wifi until it *absolutely* has to, probably to save battery.

Mine shows a direct phone connection all over my house, but you can tell it's slow and hanging on by a thread a few rooms away because Siri tells me she'll "tap me when she's ready" to start my grill timer then does so 30 seconds later.

How can you tell it has a phone connection vs a Wifi?

I'm guessing my apartment is small enough to where it never switches over. But I swear the speakerphone craps out after like 10 feet. I don't think it did this for the week I had it with my 6+. Maybe my 7+ bluetooth radio is just poo poo.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 10, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Watch beta 3.1 2 has made this battery super man. 13% down in 6 hours.

I just rejoined the beta. Installed the beta profile on both phone and watch. Got 10.1 on my phone. Don't see a watch option. Is the watch beta not public?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

You gotta get the beta profile for the watch. There's no apple public beta for that, but google will help you if you like living on the edge.

drat it. Like I edited. Got the profile on the watch too. Guess it's developers only.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The public beta profile will install on the watch but its not the one you need. I don't even know why it lets you install it there. There's one that's just for the watch. Google "watchos beta profile download" and you'll be on your way

Thanks for the heads up, gently caress it, I'll pass though. All the links are for the old 3.0 beta, I don't know if I need to install shady poo poo on my new watch anyway.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So I was bitching on the last page about my Watch's speakerphone capability having a range of like 3 feet. So I unpaired(wiped) then repair'd the drat thing and it's now behaving like it should. I have no clue what the gently caress that was.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

tirinal posted:

Audiobook + watch trip report: it works. Badly, and you have to jury rig it with a file splitter and a lot of micromanaging, but it works. Hopefully somebody comes up with an app solution soon.

Unrelated question: Do you have to switch to water lock mode and do the obnoxious stereo water ejection pulse thing every time I'm about to shower, or is that more for actual water submersion? From what I gather series 0 didn't require it.

Water lock mode just prevents screen presses "locks the screen", then of course it clears out the speaker.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Wtf my watch doesn't have an option to update to 3.1?

Edit: Ugh. Hard rebooted the watch and now the option showed up.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 26, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

enojy posted:

My S1 battery life was sorta poo poo before 3.1, it'd be anywhere from 20% to 40% after about 16 hours, but it lasted a day. Yesterday was a full day on 3.1, and I put it on the charger 16 hours later at like 85%. I even upped the brightness to full halfway thru the day.

It'd be funny if the update hosed up the battery gauge and in reality it's just gonna shut down at 70% charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
When in doubt un-pair and re-pair. It'll back up your watch then restore.

• Locked thread