Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man.

I may need to get a sport. The fact that I can send my location to my wife with a single click while I'm on the bike is huge. Doubly so when I'm doing 10-20hrs+/week on the bike.

All other features are pretty ho-hum but that is pretty awesome for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Does anyone know how customizable notifications can get on the watch?

E.g. can I have it only display phonecalls and texts, and leave the rest of the notifications on the phone, or will every single notification get pushed to the watch?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

enMTW posted:

Pre-orders are Midnight PST, yes. Going for 38mm Steel Black Modern Buckle. The Sport one just looks garish to me.

Yup; waking up at 3am EST.

I just want a 38mm sport for replying to texts while out on long bike rides. :unsmith:

All the other fuss is no big deal; ti'll improve with software updates and new generations of hardware for sure.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Seriously, from one long distance biker to another, please just pull over. You are going to get yourself killed and perpetuate the cars v bike war we have going on. If you were at a red light and saw a driver talking to his watch instead of paying attention you'd flip out.

While I appreciate your concern; the thing that I want is the "send my location" in response to my wife texting "where are you" and being able to see if she sends anything urgent. I have no plans to be dictating while riding or anything ridiculous.

I'm very aware of car/bike relations as I'm a regular cyclist in a big city, but there are still use cases that I'd like.

edit: And the plan is to utilize this: http://www.thecyclip.com/#main

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Also if it's anything like an iPhone launch, use the Apple Store app to preorder tonight. It's usually a lot better at not timing out while the website is getting hammered. Not that this will have anywhere near the demand as an iPhone, but still, use the app.

Thanks for the idea. Easier to do in a half-sleepless-haze in bed too

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

Use the apple store on your phone! I've already placed my order! Space Gray sport on it's way!

Same. Easy as pie

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

They "42mm Stainless Steel Case with Black Classic Buckle" seems to be the least popular as it is the only watch I've found that still lists an April shipping date. Probably because it uses that sad Mickey Mouse watchface for all its ad. Vintage Disney is creepy and just reminds people of embroidered denim theme park jackets at this point

Just an FYI in case you dont want to be known has having the least-desirable Apple Watch.

Could also just be the model the misgauged demand for the most.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My watch is en route; so question:

Can you create your own canned responses to texts? Or is it purely contextual by the watch?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can you send the creepy apple watch emojis to iPhone users? Or just other watch users?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Got my 38mm SG Sport yesterday.

So far it's perfect for what I want (message notifications and weather info at the ready).

The HR samples are cool too.

Overall super pleased so far.
Going to do a cycling workout with both the watch and my HRM strap later today to see how they track against each other during hard activity (intervals workout today!)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Lexicon posted:

I've noticed that my watch is referring to me as "Me" in activity alerts and such ("Way to go, Me!"). I've seen screenshots with owners' actual names. Why isn't mine using my contact card? Siri on the phone knows my contact card.

Yup, 1st world problem

Do you have your Watch in first person mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I think it's a flawed but decent gadget.

I like the HR history a lot and it's very accurate (compared to hospital HRM over the weekend).

I also keep my phone in a bag a LOT so it's handy to keep an eye on notifications that way.

Past that, I am still struggling to find solid uses. It's cool, but not earth shattering.

• Locked thread