Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I likely won't be buying a smart watch until its pedometer/exercise features are almost on par with the dedicated units like Fitbit or Jawbone. I recently bought a Fitbit Charge HR and I am pretty taken with it, and I actually find it's linking to the phone and telling me about my incoming calls more useful than I thought it would be. Having a smart watch would be great, but for the cost of an Apple Watch I don't really want to be wearing two units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Oh, I know it isn't accurate - those things are more about establishing a baseline than anything else. Heartbeats will always be more accurately measured if using a strap, and wearing a pedometer on your waist will be better than one on your wrist. From what I read some of the android smart watches are egregiously inaccurate when it comes to steps, whereas the fitbit is probably only "kinda accurate." I happen to enjoy using it and I like the graphs and other things on the fitbit app, but I'd happily switch over if I didn't feel compelled to wear two products. I enjoy Apple Health so it would be great to be able to use that without needing a work around!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

Are you saying that it's off on step counting for running or just distance measurement?

My FitBit Flex is pretty good for me for running. During pleasant weather I run 5k a few times a week and haven't noticed it being too bad for distance measurement. Of course, I don't pay any attention to its distance measurement since I use RunKeeper, but I feel like I would have noticed if it was off by miles.

Maybe it is an issue of people being in some stride "sweet spot" for missing miles? I do 5Ks on my treadmill 5 days a week and I also see myself losing miles vs. what the machine says I'm doing. That being said, both devices have my calories burnt being pretty close to one another which is pretty okay!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I tell myself that I am a sensible consumer and wait for this generation of watch to pan out, but I question my willpower to last the year+ it will take for that to happen, especially once the refurbs start to creep up. Oh, to be a smart goon who isn't always charmed by new electronics :(

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I certainly always have my phone plugged in when I'm at my office desk at work, so I'd go so far as to say my phone gets more use plugged than unplugged. I have an iPhone 6 and have never noticed it having any battery issues when I am away from a charge for an extended period of time:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

rear end Catchcum posted:

Spend your money on intentionally overpriced gadgets while children literally die of aids it's cool

I spent 10 dollars on SA when I could have donated it to buy who knows how many pounds of food aid for Africa, so precedent is on my side!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The whole appointment thing is less for trying on the product and more to make people feel exclusive for wanting one/add to the marketing value of the Apple Watch being awesome and totally worth having.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Nah, it's to allow people to try on the device and experience its features so they can decide if they want to purchase it.

EDIT: The only reason dealerships allow people to test drive cars is to make them feel exclusive and add to the marketing value of the car. :pseudo101:

Hmmmm yes, a difference being that you can test drive a 20,000 dollar car without making an appointment but heaven forbid you want to try on a $450 watch without calling ahead of time.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 7, 2015

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It is interesting that it said 43% of people buying the new MacBook also bought an Apple Watch to go along with it. That is quite the add-on rate!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I don't know anything about technology, but wouldn't a smaller watch cost more than a big watch due to the increased difficulties in producing it? I understand selling the bigger watch for more since obviously that is what most people will be wanting to buy, but all things being equal and capitalism aside, should the smaller watch cost more than the larger one?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

3 posted:

Got mine in yesterday, been playing with it all day. Most unexpectedly useful feature: pinging my phone, which I have a habit of tucking away into random locations in my home and then completely forgetting about.

Oh man, I had no idea you could do that with the watch! I am trying very hard to come up with reasons why I don't need a 1st gen. 400+ device, but sadly that list keeps growing ever smaller by the day :/

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It may be frowned upon, but once that baby is coming you tend to lose most of your social graces.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

The 38mm would be 350-100-100gc=$150

Aka the cost of a Fitbit Charge HR!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does the Fitbit let you get a reading using your dick?

No, it is the inferior product :(

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I’m thinking of getting an Apple Watch this season and using it primarily as a fitness tracker (I’ve used fitbits in the past and enjoyed them, but now that the Watch 3 is out I think it’s time to pony up).

How does the Apple Watch compare with a dedicated fitness tracker? I like to do cardio a lot so I’m thinking that i’ll be primarily tracking steps, jogging, yadda yadda. The gamification of exercise amuses me so I’m hoping that filling up the exercise circles will be something that entertains me for a bit.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Are the Nike+ watches worth buying, or are they just a bit of advertising on Apple/nike’s part? I would be using the watch 50/50 as an exercise device/smart watch, for what that is worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They have one extra watch face and a tacky sports band so...uh

So what you’re saying is... absolutely worth it?

• Locked thread