Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:lol: using your watch as a boarding pass TSA is going to loving love that.

They seem p chill when I use my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's not made for you plebs, go buy a pebble with your ramen

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm also one of those plebs

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rabble posted:

Solid gold is extremely malleable, drat thing is going to melt from the heat of the processor.

What Apple has done is produce a new patented alloy that contains less gold per volume while retaining the same 3:1 ratio and 18K classification. The other material isn't one of the standard metals used in alloys; it's ceramic, which is less dense. Dr. Drang on Leancrew explains this in more detail (emphasis ours):

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-special-gold-ceramic-alloy-2015-3#ixzz3Tun4fvMe

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

sethsez posted:

Expensive watches are just socially-acceptable jewelry for men, and as jewelry none of the Apple watches are terribly stunning.

Except for the part where people will know you spent over $10k for it.

I honestly wonder if Apple has thought through some sort of guts upgrade plan for people with the gold one beca... Lol come on of course they didn't.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm a designer at an ad tech company and saw two in the office. Let's pile on more anecdotes!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Is it because you are doing ads for the apple watch

Only for interactions that require you to press the crown 5 times.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

For two bucks, it could be a little more well designed.

2015 is a crazy place.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have type 1 diabetes and I sold a pebble a long time ago now what do I do?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like the Olio is the best looking smart watch I've seen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

Has anyone actually tried putting an apple watch on their dick

What happens

Gives you a thumbs up or thumbs down.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just got Dark Sky but how do you get the complication that is the precipitation graph?

Also I just got a Series 1 this weekend because I got some extra play money and thought it would be worth trying out. The more I get the UI the more I'm liking it. I wish there was just a pinch more customization watchface options. Like I love the date over the time on the Photo face, but would love more complications.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I do client facing work and bought it purely to be able to glance at notifications without coming off like an rear end in a top hat checking his phone during meetings.

I don't think I'll ever feel like I need this, but I certainly don't regret purchasing it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Some people consider checking your watch to be a bigger insult. I have to constantly explain to people that I received a notification that I am checking. Looking at your watch usually means that you are bored or checking to see how much time is left to endure in a meeting.

Yeah you still have to do it on the sly, but it's less cumbersome.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Couldn't you get/find a used Series 2 sport for about 200?

Not at all.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Seafea posted:

Do these go on sale often? I'm wanting to replace my Pebble and I'm kicking myself for missing Target's last sale on these over the holidays (I think it was like $100 off Series 1, and maybe $50 off Series 2). Trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and get it. I'm guessing they're probably only discounted around Christmas and maybe graduation in the Spring.

It feels like Target is offering something on it at most times. I ended up getting mine sometime in December and I got a $50 giftcard with my purchase, and not too long after they were offering something wild like 20% off.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Variable_H posted:

what are some of the super cool and life altering things I could do with a $400 wrist computer?

I think if this is the mindset you have going into it, then you will be disappointed. I enjoy the hell out of accessing texts/alerts and looking at my calendar without having to have my phone on me. (I spend a lot of time jumping between different meeting rooms for calls with different clients and often leave my desk on the phone. It's also pretty convenient to just flip your wrist to know when your phone just buzzed. That isn't exclusive to the apple watch, but it's a really nice hardware design and the OS is really snappy.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 30, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Time to bust out your best "oh... I gave it to my cousin who lives out of state..." or "coincidentally I lost it!"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I went into the pool with my S1 for the whole day. I read that it wouldn't harm it and the watch can detect swim stroke so it wasn't a crazy idea, and I was drunk, so I just went for it. All is well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was really surprised the Siri face wasn't forced to be included. I can see lots and lots of people upgrading and never knowing it exists.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He did because he has the (better) old school cell signal bars.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

:lol: siri watchface showing me Apple stock price as the last card.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I think we get that. It's more about never using stocks at all and siri thinking it's a worthwhile insight.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I actually wish the new way Now Playing automatically shows up wasn't so. I have my headphone controls for changing tracks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The additions to the heart rate app are pretty comically useless, though.

In what way? The old app didn't give you any history right? I thought that was too bare bones. I like that I can see the graph now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think he just means the app icon in the notification. I also have been getting blank ones but now I can’t remember which app it was.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is this thread giving anyone else problems?

Yeah I had to change the perpage variable in the URL to 30 to get it to load.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah,

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I tried to spam and all the posts went into the void... or I accidentally spammed a different thread and haven't realized it yet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Weird, nothing I do with a barbell gets in the way of my watch. The only time I have to take it off is slam balls because the ball will knock it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that’s a blank icon, bug seems to be a part of 4.0. A couple of us are getting it.

• Locked thread