Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Taima posted:

What would happen if you got a replacement for a space black gen 0? I don't think they even made a gen 1 space black. I think they only returned on gen 2.

Yea, Series 1 is the poverty spec that only comes in aluminum. I'm allowed to say that because I own a Series 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Small White Dragon posted:

How does the Woven Nylon band hold up for exercising?

I have an Apple Watch with Sports Band, but I was gifted an engraved one with a woven Nylon band. Can't seem a point in keeping two watches, obviously.

Good and bad -- it's a tight weave and pretty well made, but constantly sweating into it stains it pretty quickly depending on the color. It's safe to wash with soap & water, though. Mine was filthy and a wash had it 95% good as new.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My fake Milanese Loop broke at the lug after a couple months. Wear with caution!

I've had the real one (in black) for about a year now and it's still like new, although if it too were to break and destroy my watch, Apple would probably shrug at me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I guess I'm the only one that thought a red dot was tacky and unusual. Why red? Because apples are red? Why not a choice of colors?

Edit: does look good on that gold Edition, though. I'll reserve judgment.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ultimate Mango posted:

I'm trying to catch up on the Aluminium/stainless steel debate.

It seems like stainless is more expensive. By a lot. I like the look of black SS with the Milanese loop, but am I right that I can get a black Aluminum and an aftermarket black loop and end up paying like half as much?

I mean if I am getting a $1200 phone what's 800 more for a watch?

(And however much for the power may and loving ear pods)

Yes, but there's a bit of color mismatching. The black Milanese loop is pretty much black, with black stainless steel lugs. (It's really like a really, really dark gray, just a smidge from black.) The space gray aluminum is... well, gray. However, the screen is black, so it all kinda works out OK in my eyes.

The black stainless steel lugs match the space black stainless steel body perfectly.

The SS models also have a sapphire screen and ceramic back. Up to you if those differences are worth that much more.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Don't forget, retailers may have a huge clearance on series 1/2 soon. I know as series 1/2 were coming out, the series 0 watches dropped in price big time. Like a 42mm SS with link bracelet for the cost of the band alone.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Aw, she was wearing AirPods, too. I was wondering why that phone call sounded so good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just found out that stainless steel is only offered in the GPS + cellular configuration. hosed up.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rage-saq posted:

At the same price it’s always been offered.

Fair enough! I was just hoping there'd be a discounted Series 2 SS available, or at least a Series 3 without the additional cellular cost tacked on. Looks like refurbished is gonna be the way to go, unless retailers start putting Series 2 on clearance soon.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a refurb S2 from Apple. They still seem expensive at $589.00 CAD so I'm trying to build value. That's not a too bad price for a watch I would wear daily but I'm afraid that these things will become obsolete like the phones after a few years which kinda sucks for watch.

I have a 7Plus and it looks silly in my dress pants so it would be nice to keep it in my bag and have the watch to check messages. I also need a watch for my lectures cause I feel looking at my phone is inappropriate. I also like the idea of the fitness applications.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Was the watch worth it over a nice black G-Shock (I only like digital watches) or is it totally an overkill frivolously purchase if you have surplus funds...?

edit: what the gently caress why is the S3 (non cellular) only $469 CAD...cheaper than the S2 refurbished....I"m so confused.

edit2: oh ok stainless steel case vs aluminum...what are the advantages disadvantages?

I'd strongly recommend waiting at least another week; the S2 is pretty much discontinued (no idea why S2 got the boot over S1) and retailers may clearance them out since it's soon to be a dead SKU. Last year, the S0 (first Apple Watch) got insanely discounted as the new ones came out. Or maybe that won't happen at all, but it's worth a shot. It's in a strange spot, with the S1 still being manufactured and shipped.

Stainless steel vs aluminum, cosmetic and build quality differences. Stainless gets a sapphire screen and a ceramic back "dome" (sensor cover) while the aluminum has a glass screen and plastic dome. The aluminum is plenty durable, but stainless looks nicer.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Best Buy already has S2s for $70 off and B&H Photo has them $80 off (42mm base model).

That's pretty good. Stainless steel S2 42mm is $499 at B&H... I'm gonna stick it out til the end of the month and see what happens. Also need to look into what kind of resale value my S1 aluminum could fetch.

About the watch becoming obsolete in a few years, it's a little hard to say. It largely depends on how you use the watch. If you find yourself just using it for the time, notification pushes, and a few menial tasks (e.g. Hands free calls/directions/timers via Siri) then any of the current models could last indefinitely, until their batteries go kaput.

I can't really come up with a "power user" use case for the watch that would require annual CPU/memory/storage bumps. The room for growth on smart watches is pretty constrained (literally,) and even the S0 isn't missing a whole lot compared to the brand new S3 -- more definitive waterproofing, built-in GPS and cellular, and a brighter display. With your phone on hand, the S0 does everything the S3 can do, just a little slower.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Three Olives posted:

Just get the milanese loop.

I was about to say that. "Milanese Loop could probably fit around a fat ankle" but I dunno now... It's barely fitting that hamhock.

io_burn posted:

I tried to find it on the MacRumors forums a while ago and tried loving everything to find it including searching for "trotter"

:piss:

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 20, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

io_burn posted:

Looks like this is all where it went down, found it from a reverse Google image search- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/any-big-wrist-people-try-apple-watch.1865725/page-2#post-21151014

What am I doing with my life.

I don't know why they bothered going with 38mm with such a large wrist. 42mm watch & band would've almost certainly been more flattering.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm guessing it's partially the Wifi issue, but also the lovely battery life, which is a huge bummer, honestly. I was debating getting an LTE version, but if it dies at 4 hours using GPS and just having LTE on, then no thanks.

It's pretty funny some reviewers are making a big deal about not having a signal on the ocean. Well no poo poo!

To be fair, their big reveal trailer for the S3 showed a girl getting a phone call while surfing...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Mine does this, but to my podcast app (Downcast), not Music. I'm trying to figure out how to turn that off since I'm listening to podcasts 80% of the time I'm walking around and it's annoying to never see my watch face. I could just remove that app from the watch, I guess.

That won't work; The Now Playing app on the watch universally intercepts any audio source, including web embedded videos and various other poo poo you'd never want to control via the watch. Oh, and it persists forever (not literally but... this new behavior sucks.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

[quote="“Sock The Great”" post="“476657478”"]
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FP032/refurbished-apple-watch-series-1-42mm-space-gray-aluminum-case-with-black-sport-band

$239 for a S1 if you don’t care about waterproofing or GPS. The cheapest S2 is stainless at $469.

I really think this S2 refurb I received might be brand new though, there isn’t a nick or scratch on it.
[/quote]

It very well may have had the shell replaced. I've never heard of Apple refurbed products being any less than "better than new" (since they replace any wear & tear items, and then test them.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GoldfishStew posted:

Another reason Watch os4 is a step back: I played a podcast via overcast on my phone, put it on my desk. Got into bed, wanted to turn it down, went to go to the now playing card I had set to the sidebutton, but those are gone now and your most recent apps appear instead (the overcast app appeared before I even clicked the button because now when you listen to stuff the watch intelligently puts this active) went to the overcast app, there’s no volume control.

I keep hearing this bs how watch is the new iPod but god drat have they made me have to use my phone more (whole point of me buying this was to use it less) for all things audio. loving gross.

I sold out and switched to a face that supports the Now Playing complication. In watchOS 4, I think this covers any media playing from the phone? Either way, I disabled that poo poo that makes Now Playing auto-launch on the phone, because it's stupid and launches with web videos and ads and poo poo, and seems to persist way too long after you've stopped and closed the audio-playing app. I also don't have the Overcast app installed on the watch. End result, I can bring up Now Playing via the complication and control the playback/volume of the podcast playing through Overcast.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GoldfishStew posted:

What face is this? I don’t have any new faces on my app it seems. Is it the Siri face? I disable Siri.

Utility face. Now Playing is on the bottom.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ultimate Mango posted:

I took my iPhone 6 in today to get its battery replaced (I'm holding out for the X phone) and walked out with a Space Grey with cellular and a loop band.

The cellular activation interface for ATT is badly broken. The login screen is so poorly coded that if your username and password auto fills, and you click the button to log in, you enter a fail state. You literally have to click in a text field to make the button work. Once you figure that out, you get to a screen with, in my case, a single radio button select and a continue button. Because the radio selection is already populated, and there is no text field to click into, you guessed it, the Continue button can be clicked but does not and cannot work. Because you didn't and could. Or click the option you wanted to select.

Otherwise the watch is nice. Do y'all find that you eventually find a single watch face with complications the way you want and just use it, or do you change faces fairly often?

The toy story face is simply delightful. And Mickey made my wife, who does not own or wear a watch, squeal with delight and ask how much the watches cost and can she get one.

There was this cool write up (can't remember the URL) where a guy tailored just about his every need around 4 or 5 Modular watch faces, which went in chronological order from early morning to late night. But screw all that, I just use one face that offers enough complications I care to use. (Okay, I use two, but the second one is workout-centric and I only switch to it during workouts.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My Series 1 back is like new after a year or so. I'll wipe it down with T-shirts and occasionally (and accidentally) allow the Space Black Milanese Loop band snap onto it, since the band is magnetized. No harm done, even while the band is essentially comparable to the hardness of diamond. If you're interested in the non-cellular Series 3, I wouldn't worry about it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SeANMcBAY posted:

I thought they cut the edition line last year because you'd have to be insane to get one.

Nah, the Edition was just dumb for Series 0 because it was 24k gold plated and cost like Ten Thousand Dollars. Since then, the Edition has been ceramic w/ the perks found on the stainless steel models, and somewhere around $1300. Still ridiculously priced, but at least the gray ceramic this year looks awesome.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

god this blows posted:

How bad is the battery life on these things? I have the Alta HR which gets about a week and I know I won't get anything like that.

Depends heavily on what you use it for. If you treat it like a health stat-monitoring wrist watch that mirrors notifications from your iPhone, then 2 days, easily (but still might as well charge it overnight, or during a shower — it charges to full in like a half hour or less.) The most I got out of mine in this use case was just about 3 days, when I went on a family vacation and forgot to bring the charging puck.

Anything more strenuous than that, you can probably still get a day out of it. I think the biggest drains are streaming music, making phone calls, and the display.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I feel like Best Buy has hit their "clearance" pricing for Series 2 watches -- they're down to very limited availability in-store and online of all models. Space Black Stainless Steel 42mm is down to $429. They've also got a Space Black w/ Milanese Loop, but seemingly no (silver) stainless steel left online. I hopped on it because I really wanted to upgrade to a Space Black, but wasn't interested in paying like $650+ for data/voice I won't use and apps opening a second quicker.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SBSS came in! Worth every penny (not really), but man, I did not expect this thing to be such a fingerprint magnet. This is gonna drive me crazy.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Delzuma posted:

I haven't seen a good Series 3 non cellular review. Is it worth it over the series 2?

Nah not really, unless you really want to be able to tie your cell/data plan to the watch. Or use a bunch of apps... I dunno, I played with a Series 3 for about 10 minutes, and it wasn't a super appreciable difference from my Series 1. I ended up saving over $200 and just bought a SS Series 2 instead of the Series 3.

As a disclosure, though, I hardly use apps on the watch. Apps would launch from out of memory in like a second on the Series 3, and in 3-4 seconds on the Series 1& 2. Not a big deal to me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bum the Sad posted:

I got an S2 SS with Link on launch. Love it. Was planning on replacing it with an SS S4 with Link when it comes out in a year or two. Don’t want to pay a $150 premium for a Milanese loop I’m gonna throw in the garbage.

Milanese Loop is rad. More specifically, the "infinite fit" design. My forearms/wrists swell when I work out so it's never uncomfortable. I'm gonna have a real hard time ever wearing anything that can't be similarly adjusted.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lum_ posted:

And the ones you pick up on Amazon for $10 are perfectly cromulent.

I gambled with a third party one and nearly lost -- it was a store-bought X-Doria? X-Daria? band. The black coating started stripping off within a month or so, and I caught the links ripping from the lug a few months later, probably hours or days before it would've totally failed and sent my watch off my wrist.

I'd hesitate to recommend the replica Milanese Loops to anyone for that reason, unless they were to say it'd be worn very sparingly (special occasions) because you get what you pay for, and they may not last long.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just upgraded to stainless and yeah, you don't ever forget it's on your wrist like you could with the aluminum variety. A good trade-off I wasn't expecting, though, the stainless & ceramic is more comfortable on the skin than the aluminum & composite.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I feel for anyone paying even $10 a month for cell service on the Series 3, because that's $120 a year just for the convenience of leaving your phone behind, that thing you're already paying at least $600 a year for. But I really wanna see some +$17/mo phone bills :devil:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

Decided I'm going to get a refurb series 2 stainless steel from Apple as my first AW. Fell in love with the Milanese Loop. I heard you guys talking about a decent knock off version of it. Got a link? What is the difference between and the real deal?

I know it's a lil late, but Best Buy is selling their remaining stock of stainless steel Series 2 for less than Apple is charging for their refurbs.

Not a whole lot left, but in the event you wanted a 38mm stainless steel w/ Milanese Loop or 42mm Space Black only w/ Milanese Loop, they're priced really well.

About genuine vs. third party Milanese Loop, someone made a good post about it a few pages back. Basically, the third party silver one is okay, but still a gamble -- look at any Amazon listing for them and you'll see customer pictures of broken lugs (not a ton, but some.) The black one generally isn't recommended, since the black is just painted on there and will certainly rub off rather quickly. This doesn't apply to the genuine Apple band; I've had it for over a year and it still looks new. It has the same diamond-like carbon coating as the Space Black stainless steel watch, and it's made to last. Magnets on both genuine and third party bands are strong, and I personally haven't had any issues with slipping (and I wear it quite snug so I dunno what gives.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 21, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TyrantWD posted:

I am thinking of getting an Apple Watch today to use at the gym, and after seeing the taxes and fees stack up on the LTE, I am leaning towards the regular Series 3. I've seen a lot of people post about how podcast functionality is not yet available, but I was wondering if its possible to manually add podcasts from iTunes after setting the media type to music and putting them in a playlist?

Yea, you can do that I suppose, haha. I've actually not bothered putting music on my watch, but I do know that my Series 2 has 4.6GB free, and at least the option to sync playlists from the iPhone -- you may need to convert the podcasts to compatible music files, form a playlist, push it to your iPhone, and then sync to the watch. I think the non-LTE Series 3 gets 8GB? So accounting for watchOS, you'd have around 7.5GB to play with.

Alternatively, if you can finagle some way of having your iPhone within Bluetooth range while at the gym, you can just simply stream them on the watch. The watch supports podcast playback via what's on your iPhone, just no current way of downloading them to the internal storage.

Edit:I'm actually not 100% on that last part, as I don't own any Bluetooth headphones. You can control playback of podcasts that are on your iPhone via the watch. That's all I know for certain.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 21, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

:stonk:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TraderStav posted:

You step out of 2007 and join 2017 where T-Mobile is actually good?

Yea, I'm thinking I wanna go to T-Mobile at some point. I'm on WiFi 95% of the time, and otherwise, I just get ho-hum service quality from Verizon for like $90 a month. Their website just sucks a dick when it comes to conveying information, such as how much their poo poo costs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does Dark Sky have a "small" complication? If so, what does it display? I kinda wanna buy it, but am having trouble finding an answer to this. All I've seen is the "wide" complication.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thanks! Gonna pick it up.

io_burn posted:

Do you guys know if there's any difference between Dark Sky and Carrot when it comes to Apple Watch functionality? Seems like the only thing seems to be Carrot has the option to display a "feels like" temperature instead of the actual temperature?

I watched a pretty good comparison video of the two last night. Basically, Dark Sky is "no frills weather with a superior world map," and Carrot is "Dark Sky's info with a much more customizable UI and snarkiness." There's IAP and a subscription model in Carrot which turned me off, but do check that video out for more details.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If the auxiliary port in my car hadn't poo poo the bed just before watchOS 4 came out, I'd probably be a little pissed about what happened to the Music complication. Alas, I haven't had to use it since.

Actually, I just gave in to using a watch face with a wide complication so I can just use Now Playing for the sporadic instances of using headphones. All I really care to do with music playback is basic interaction (play/pause, prev/next, volume.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ah yes! That's good information to have on the Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MarcusSA posted:

So uh I bought my wife the S2 for her birthday but I'm trying to find a good women's band to replace the stock black one with. Has anyone bought a good looking feminine band?

All of the lesser-priced ($50) bands come in feminine colors, and all of the leather bands are pretty suitably unisex in size. They all have stainless steel lugs, though. If she has a darker watch, Coach also makes leather bands with darker lugs, and I'm willing to bet their leather is of higher quality for the same price ($150ish.) Then there's the Hermès bands, but gently caress all that.

enojy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 8, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh yea! I forgot about Etsy, as I decided against a leather band purchase, but I do recall a number of people selling Horween quality and up in the $70-80 range. It's just a matter of finding something aesthetically pleasing to you (or your wife.) Some makers opt to use big thick waxed stitching like you'd find on an actual horse saddle and it just looks tacky to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Black Friday poo poo:

Best Buy will have Apple Watch Series 1 starting at $199, Target Apple Watch Series 1 starting at $179

Target will have Apple Watch Series 3 starting at $329.

No Airpods sales anywhere yet... :-(

• Locked thread