Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is apple gonna be the only place to preorder?

Seems so. I'm kind of waiting on B&H to at least save tax.

I totally sperged out and 3D printed mockups because I couldn't find a store with a try-on display. I think my 180mm wrists are on the small side for a man, so I was planning on the 38, but now I'm waffling. I like how the 42 looks here, but I'm thinking a band will make the 38 more prominent and maybe it'll look right. Opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Consummate Professional posted:

Anyone have time machine quit working on OS3? I'm also getting phantom vibrations for some reason.

Time travel is disable by default but can be turned back on from the app on your phone.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I kind of want an official nylon band since passable sport bands are all over Amazon for cheap.

If I were to buy an S1 and add a nylon band, I'd be halfway to the price difference between S1 and an S2 that can come with nylon.

There's also the chance that the S2, with its bigger battery could have longer life with GPS off. I do a lot of day trip business flights, so that could potentially come in handy for leaving the charger at home.

I can't decide.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rorus Raz posted:

People keep saying the S2 is slightly larger because of a larger battery, but Apple lists the S2 at having the same 18 hour life as the S1. If the battery was that much better than the S1, I imagine they'd have shouted it from the rooftops at the event. Even if it was just with the GPS, a 20+ hour battery would have been a decent selling point.

One of the only leaks last month was photos of a new battery at 20% larger capacity than gen1. Of course, we'll have to wait for someplace like iFixit to confirm, but I figure Apple wouldn't release new run times with a "better life without using all of the promised features" asterisk.

If I'm not using GPS and indoors not using super-bright mode, maybe there will be more ways to stretch the S2 in a day.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't follow rumors, but isn't it possibly premature to assume you can turn off just the GPS? I may be mistaken, but I don't think there are separate controls right now for Bluetooth and wifi.

John Gruber's review said it was seamless switching: phones GPS when present, watches when phone is gone and location is necessary.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There are a few iOS apps that charge extra for their watch counterpart via IAP. The most notable one is Carrot Weather. The dev claims that all the automatic updates a watch gets cost him more with his weather data provider than phone users

That seems to be a rare situation, and I prefer Dark Sky because I don't need my weather app having a sense of humor.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

All I really wanted from os3 was the ability to glance at my watch and see the latest recorded heart rate. Guess that was too much to ask.

There are plenty of complications to do that. Just looking at the front page of the watch App Store, Cardiogram and HeartWatch.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

beergod posted:

Is the Nike one out? That thing looks loving dope.

Not till late October.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My local store final has S2s in stock, but only with sport bands. Am I going to be asking too much if I ask to do a band swap right off the bat?

Google says "some managers" will allow it, as long as you're swapping for an offered config. Just want to know I'm not being unreasonable before I go in.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Endless Mike posted:

What are you trying to swap to? A nylon band? As I posted above, you want a sport band anyway if you're planning on working out in it.

$3 knockoff sport bands are good enough, but I'd like the official nylon for my $50 inclusion, since fakes haven't quite nailed the quality yet.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It took some convincing, but the Apple Store opened up an S2 with a sport band and traded it for a nylon band.

Now apparently karma is a bitch and one tail of the nylon band refuses to lock into place on either side of the watch body.

edit: I figured it out. I have to rock the band connector front to back a little. Is that within tolerance?

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 22, 2016

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Long shot, but are you sure you're not putting it in backwards (ie upside down)?

Nope, definitely the right direction. There's size markings on the bottom of both pieces.

I'm not making a special trip, but I'll ask next time I'm near a store, I guess.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you're terminal savvy, quit checking manually and just run this thing. https://libraries.io/github/yuha0/applechecker

I put that in Docker and set the interval to something more sane like 1min. Two days later I got a text at 11am and now I'm wearing a 42mm S2.

The Apple Store employee didn't even believe it was there when I went in to pickup.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does MacID work fluidly for Watch unlock? I feel pretty left out with my 2012 too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I wonder if Apple is waiting till the release of the Nike edition in late October to give third-parties access to the S2 GPS, just to let Nike Run Club have something special for a bit.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Duckman2008 posted:

Dark Sky is really good.

I wish the Dark Sky complication didn't default to "Rain coming soon!" when it hasn't updated. Weather Underground is free, has decent complications and has radar right on my wrist, but the app seems to be having stability problems right now and I'm patiently waiting for an update.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there a fix for apps that won't load? Strava and Wunderground both spin for a few seconds then seem to crash.

I've tried rebooting the watch and I've tried reinstalling both apps to the watch.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Nope. My aluminum S2 screen is seamless.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

porktree posted:

Stupid question but, I think I understand that the S2 is the latest watch, but what are the S0 and S1? How would I figure out if the watch I have (a 42mm Sport) is S0 or S1?

Also - is anyone else experiencing weirdness with albums? I changed the photo album to sync on the app on my iPhone, but it doesn't change the watch face album that is being displayed in the 'photo album' watchface. But it does change the photos available to pick for a single photo watch face.

"Series 0" is an unofficial name for the original watch.

Series 1 is the official name for the lower-tier watch just released last month. Basically the original but updated with a faster processor. A Series 1 will be marked as such on the back of the watch.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Frankly, I'm not upgrading until they add Pencil support.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Moko seems to be the closest thing to a name brand among knockoffs.

I've got their $6 sport bands and my mom wears a few of their $15 Milanese loops. Both are good enough that I can't imagine paying Apple prices

They've got link bracelets that the Internet loves, but they just ran a big sale on Amazon and stock is cleaned out.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

rear end Catchcum posted:

Tapping the screen doesn't always wake it and it pisses me off. Plus doesn't your just randomly turn on when you use your wrist?

Tap more firmly or just use the side button, I guess.

I get a few false-wakes with "raise," but whatever. I still finish the day with 50% battery.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Black isn't traditionally popular for watches because coatings generally suck and wear ends up showing through as contrasting gray.

Apples DLC coating seems really good on the SB and the anodizing is really thick on the space gray, so who cares about traditional concerns?

I really like how the black screen blends in with the darker colored bodies.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Endless Mike posted:

The S1 has the same battery as the S0, I think. I was ending a day around 20-30%, sometimes dipping to 10%, so that's probably not too unusual. The S2's battery is a full third larger, so better battery life is to be expected unless you're away from the phone a lot. Unless he's talking about an S0 in which case I have no idea.

I'm talking about a 42mm S2. Big battery owns. Lasts way longer than advertised if you don't use the GPS.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The majority of the watch's visible surface is shiny black screen, so I think the notion that any of the neutral-colored bodies look totally out of place with more bands than another is really silly.

Gold and rose gold wearers are who we should be united in shaming.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Casual walk, I don't bother.

For a run where I want continuous HR (and thus accurate calories) and a route map, I start an activity.

You'll get the hang of the OS. There's not much to it

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My arm hair hurts just looking at those bands, but I'm sure my late grandfather would love them.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I picked up Just Press Record and it's pretty slick. Press the complication and it starts recording audio (and transcribing voice) then uploads to iCloud. If you keep it in the dock, recording is nearly instant.

I played with it at a loud concert last night and I'm actually really impressed with the microphone quality on my S2. Just hanging off my wrist, the results sound better than half the garbage bootlegs on Archive.org. Didn't totally murder my battery either.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Screen-on only, unfortunately, but it was happy to run for an hour with my wrist at my side.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My totally unfounded theory is that Apple is waiting until after the Nike release to give third parties access to the S2 GPS.

Why would I want to use a third party app? I've got years of Strava activity, segment times and followers.

Luckily Strava is a way bigger deal for bikes and carrying my phone in my tail bag isn't that big of a deal.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I haven't seen any public statement that they can't, but it's been long enough that if they could, the big names would have.

I just figure they've got to give Nike Run Club something special, at least for a little bit, to justify the branding partnership.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got a free antiglare screen protector from one of those Amazon review scams that just got banned.

All I can say is: lol people buy these things? It makes the Watch look so cheap and plasticy. Don't buy these things.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've got a raspberrypi running Homebridge to fake my existing z-wave stuff as HomeKit-compliant.

It's mostly a party trick, but "hey Siri unlock the front door" from my watch feels like the future is now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You gotta turn on screenshot in general settings.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

bilperkins2 posted:

What's a good second charger cable, so I can have one for the office and one for at home? There's a lot on Amazon but on many it's not clear if they actually have a charger in them or if they're just a stand. Plus the Apple one is $40, is that just what I have to spend to get a second one?

99% of travel chargers and charging stands expect you to load in your own official charger. Best Buy sells official cables open-box for ~$20 if you hunt.

I'd love to find something ike this, but a little less "alibaba-ish" eventually. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAF94434928&cm_re=apple_watch_portable_charger-_-9SIAAF94434928-_-Product

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You lose your home screen arrangement when you repair, so don't sperg out on getting that perfect arrangement like I've seen some nutty redditors do.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rick Sanchez posted:

Thanks for the advice nerds

Also, does anyone have the official Apple charging dock? Is it worth the price?

Just get the Spigen thing for $6. Looks fine. Has nightstand support. Done.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So if you're 5 calories short of your move goal at midnight, rolling your phone back one time zone gives you another shot.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've had two full crashes with my S2 so far. Both when switching watch faces, so maybe complication-related. When's OS 3.1 due, and will there be a version 3.11 For Workgroups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bum the Sad posted:

My stupid watch will only maintain speaker phone connectivity if right by the phone, is this normal?

The switchover from phone-tether to known-wifi when you leave the presence of your phone takes a few seconds.

• Locked thread