Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Also laugh about sending your heartbeat as an intimate message to others.

*sends strong pulse to girlfriend*

"You hear that baby.. I put my watch on my dick."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Well I sleep with the Microsoft Band on now and it's no too bad. Honestly thinking about it more sleep tracking hasn't been too helpful for me because in the end I know I don't go to bed early enough which results in me sleeping like poo poo.

The apps/devices for tracking sleep are worthless or harmful at worst and just 'ok' at best, so you're not missing out anything by not using them.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

As has been said 10,000x before, people who hate Apple will advertise the watch for free by complaining about the high cost edition. People who like Apple but think the cost is prohibitive will advertise the watch for free as well.

Most people (95%+) right now couldn't tell you the name of a smart watch from a rival company, even if they use that company to manufacture they smartphones and tablets. Meanwhile in a year, N times as many people will know the Apple watch because of marketing like this.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It's going to be funny when it turns out that the first generation Apple Watch is better than current generation whatever watches other companies make. That's the kind of horror some reviewers seem to be facing, especially with the subtle hope that the software updates won't speed up the 'beta' lag the watch experiences.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 10, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So here's my prediction. There were slightly less than 4 million smartwatches sold in 2014 across all brands (including fitbit etc). Despite claims Apple Watch sales won't be impressive, Apple sells between 1 and 1.5 million of their own in their first week (more than Samsung sold in the entire 2014 year). By the end of the year they sell around 2-2.5 million at the low end. Sales slow drastically among Apple Watch competitors. 2nd Generation watches will feature multiple shapes (circle and square) and a cheap version. By the end of the first year of sales of the 2nd Generation Apple Watch, sales will approximate nearly all competitors combined.

Edit: Android models put quad core processor and a liquid cooling system into their Moto Gamer Elite model and are quickly sued when their customers wrists burn off.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 10, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm curious why you think sales of other watches would decline "drastically" if the Watch won't work with non-Apple phones anyway? Are smartwatch-wanters just going to not buy anything if they have an Android phone, by virtue of Apple's existing?

In terms of profits rather then total units sold, non-Apple Watches will likely race to the bottom on profits earned per Watch sold to remain competitive against other non-Apple Watch competitors. In terms of units sold, remember also that smartwatch sales data always includes gimmicky 'not really smart watches,' and these are reaching the apex of their earnings. If you look at Smart Watches as things closely approximating a Moto 360 or Apple Watch, Apple is going to dominate half of the market by year 1. This is terrifying to people because Apple Pay is already 70% of contactless payment dollars spent and this is just another market Apple will have 2/3rds marketshare in by the end of year 2.

If Apple dominates the way I think it will, people will see non-Apple Watches as the "boost mobile special" and there is pretty much no way other companies recover marketshare. Thats why people are really nervous, because while total units sold are way lower than your iPhones and other products, Apple can keep prices high and continue to earn huge profits from the devices, expanding dominance on contactless payment and the 'total hardware/software ecosystem' concept.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Also this kind of stuff is really useful to hear for people that haven't gone to play with one yet. I don't understand why reasonable criticism like this draws retarded responses instead of people saying "that sucks to hear, hopefully that's something Apple looks at with their last pre-release update" or something.

Because how precise the crown is has been generally viewed as more precise than expected. I imagine the fatter your fingers or the more uncoordinated you are the harder it is to use and it's not really something Apple needs to look into.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

"Alright guys, let's not get Drake this watch for publicity purposes, Sally Poopoo from Opalaka is getting her Watch 2 days late."

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Zwille posted:

The vibration on this thing feels like a baby farting.

Clearly you've never felt the thunderous farts of a baby.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not trying to be mean but I wonder if having a huge layer of fat makes it harder for the sensors on the watch to detect your pulse or whatever

Health can't detect anything, but the USGS app does.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It seems like an entirely reasonable thing to ask though. It's like harping on a food product for saying "low fat" when it may just mean slightly lower fat than another product. A lot of people buy products like this with the intention of using is as a tool to get fit, but in reality you will likely get better results focusing on buying a rudimentary gym membership for less than the watch/Fitbit costs.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Apple Watch doesn't need, but will certainly get 2 million sales it's first year. Anything more than 2 million and less than 4 million is great and anything more than 4 million is spectacular, as far as this niche market is concerned. I doubt anyone at Apple is concerned in the least, what with the inevitable boost Watch OS 2 will provide.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

Apple Watch 2 needs to be round. A stainless OG Moto 360 with stainless band looks better, even if Android Wear on the 6S is a weaker experience than on Android (android lol).

That's like, your opinion, man. The victors determine what is a good looking watch, and the best selling smart watch is square.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I get that some select group of people want their Smart Watch to look as approximately like a traditional watch as possible. For them, the further from a automated/mechanical watch a smart watch gets, the worse it looks. The reality is that Android had a big rear end head start to market their watch and part of their failure thus far has been making their watch look too much like a traditional watch, even if some purists appreciate that. Apple stepped in and said "this is what a beautiful smart watch (not watch, but smart watch) should look like, in our view." Of course their brand is strong and people bought into it even further. Now more than 2/3 smart watches are Apple Watches and are square. It should bear noting that the group of people who believe watches should be round and approximate traditional watches are themselves still torn over whether or not to even wear a smart watch or stick to a traditional watch.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Most android smart watches did not look like traditional watches. In fact both launch devices were ugly square shits.

Well, now they do approximate traditional watches, which is the niche they are trying to fill (or be first to fill). Maybe they think Apple will go that route eventually, or maybe they just feel like it's the best course given their experiences with other shapes. In the end, the square design attempted by AW was bad looking compared to the square design of Apple. Maybe if they had executed well in the first place we'd be having a conversation about "when will AW have a round face?"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Clearly they didn't as the Shakalamari brand watch that sold about 4,000 copies and required manual winding for 1 hour battery life did it first.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'd have to see what it looks like. I'm not immune to saying that I bought mine in small part so that people would see I own a smart watch. If I didn't want people to know, i'd get a competitor's watch, nondescript strap and hide it. If they could make the round watch have the futuristic touches and distinguish it from a traditional watch then I would be on board with either shape.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

What do you mean? It's a smartwatch, it has a million futuristic touches that make it different from a traditional watch. Or did you just mean in terms of styling?

Styling, the fringe materials etc.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The Pebble is not an upgrade to the Apple Watch, let's not embarrass ourselves, particularly when the cost of the suggested alternative device is basically the same at >$200.00

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I use it for everything mentioned as well as being notified of top NYTimes headlines, taking phonecalls occasionally when I can't find my cell or I am in my library, using the camera app for remote shooting with my Manfroto minipod, looking quickly at the current weather radar, grabbing an Uber, occasionally controlling music or changing to next track, paying for items with Apple Pay, checking Line and Messenger messages with a glance as well as texts and replying quickly to some, controlling Overcast podcasts on my bluetooth speaker system from my wrist, looking over a document like powerpoint quickly (not something I do often, but when I do I am zooming in on a single slide or two), scrolling through the calendar with time travel since I usually have no less than 15 items on my daily schedule, playing a few interesting games like Lifeline that usefully take advantage of the medium and the haptic feedback, glancing at a photo my family sends me of my kids and seeing the live photo.

It surprises me that people only use their Watch for 2-3 things. Some things are slow (opening Uber or Radar for example) but other things are far better than expected (call quality and voice quality back through the device or tracking calendar related applications).

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 24, 2016

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Or just thinks a passcode on a watch is unnecessary and annoying.

It is a device with access to email, photos, messages, notifications, reminders and notes

So

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

What app gives access to notes? I'm surprised it isn't stock.

Evernote for example, not the stock Notes app. Also, it gives access to Wallet and credit cards as a better example.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Setting up Apple Pay on the watch requires a passcode, for info. They won't let you get around that.

Yes, but I think high-tech hacking is still problematic to where a watch needs security. It's annoying but necessary.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So, WatchOS 2.2 is out, anything interesting not in the patch notes?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Isn't there a "long" and "short" version of each strap type? Should be both for nylon as well.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Friendly reminder given new data, the Apple Watch has made more money in three quarters of a year than Tesla made last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The thread history is pretty funny in the context of 11.6 million sales in 2016. We went from "what a joke of an overpriced product, it's destined to fail" to "as an everygoon who obviously owns an Apple Watch, should I shower with it inside or outside of my butthole?"

• Locked thread