Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think there are going to be a lot of Apple Watches that end up in drawers. I'm pretty pessimistic on the whole smart watch concept. People will get caught up in the hype, buy one, and then realize they don't actually want to wear a watch every minute of every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised if it worked as well for fitness tracking as the Fitbit Charge HR (except in battery life), but I'm not sure a $349 watch is really competing with a $149 one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I still question whether devices are measuring resting heart rate because it's useful, or just because it's something they can measure.

OTOH, I can see why people want active heart rate in a watch, since most runners wear watches anyways, and don't love chest straps, and heart rate is useful for training.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wonder how long the exclusive will last.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So no App Store or updated hardware for Apple TV. Maybe next year!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They keep announcing CarPlay partners but I still haven't seen it available in a car.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Snore.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

"Terraced" kinda sounds like "terrorist."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sure makes the MacBook Air seem like crap.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interested to see if Apple makes first party stuff to plug into that USB C port.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, you cannot fit much text on that screen.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

NASDAQ Composi...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

"Sometimes I forget to stand up."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Stickers, are we 5?

They do sure love that Mickey watch face.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

HAhahahaha that drawing was so loving bad

No applause for that feature.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, so everyone gets they Apple Watch app on their phone forever.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

ok come the gently caress on that garage door thing is loving awesome, jesus christ this is tomorrowland poo poo.

It's the extreme price tag for that kind of thing that usually stops adoption.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oof, $50 extra for the man size.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't much care about the gold price, but making the base one that fits me be $399 is rough.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Store is up, with watch prices.

Gold ones go up to $17k. $10k only gets you plastic band.
Stainless steel with link bracelet is $999. $1099 for black.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Band prices: http://store.apple.com/us/watch/watch-accessories

$50 for plastic.
$150 for Milanese loop.
$150 or $250 for leather.
$450 for metal link.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

He's talking about the steel.

Although I will say that there is a long history of charging more for PVD / black steel watches. And they don't even wear that well, since the coating scratches off.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Walked posted:

Man.

I may need to get a sport. The fact that I can send my location to my wife with a single click while I'm on the bike is huge. Doubly so when I'm doing 10-20hrs+/week on the bike.

All other features are pretty ho-hum but that is pretty awesome for me.

Can't you just use Find My Friends and your iPhone?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So, can you charge the Macbook while using the USB port for something else, or do you have to choose?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Too bad they didn't make the adapter end of the charge cable USB instead of USB-C. Then you could use the same adapter to charge your iPhone.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hace posted:

Ok that doesn't really solve any problems unless you want a/v out

It solves the problem of, "I want to keep a display and a backup drive on my desk to use with my laptop when I'm home, and keep the laptop charging." And does it with one plug, which is better than the current MacBook Air.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It will be interesting to compare the Apple Watch and the Apple Watch Sport in person, since basically every external component is different. It might be that the stainless steel one feels much fancier for the price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's what Apple says:

quote:

Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant.

Still leaves me wondering about showers though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The gold one is weird too because it's like, it's gold so it will appeal to rich people. But a lot of expensive watches are made of stainless steel or white gold, because a lot of men don't wear gold jewelry, no matter how rich they are.

I guess that's where places like China and Russia come in, but I'm not sure how appealing this will be in the US.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems like they have a design patent on the strap ends, but good luck enforcing that against China resellers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Well, it's a little lighter. That's sporty.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Good press or bad press?

https://twitter.com/AnnaKendrick47/status/575019466804719617

quote:

We should be thanking Apple for launching the $10,000 "apple watch" as the new gold standard in douchebag detection.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

Two different sizes.

Yep. Look at the bottom of the sizing PDF:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/pdf/static/pdf/content/Watch_Sizing_Guide.pdf

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird there are two Apple watch sizes? I feel like the difference would be negligible, it's kinda bulky as is...

If I buy one I'm probably picking up the 38mm

It's very traditional for watches to come in men's and women's sizes. Beyond just wrist size, women have historically worn smaller watches relative to wrist size.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I didn't find it too useful though. It doesn't give any sense of how it feels on your wrist. I certainly wouldn't preorder one blindly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone figured out how the Apple Watch pairing works? If you try to start pairing in the app, it asks you to hold it up to the viewfinder... I wonder if that is just a trick to get you to hold it a certain position?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wear my watch on my right hand and I'm right handed. This is odd but practically works fine with normal watches. It seems like it would be really awkward with a smart watch though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

limekle posted:

I did not realize that this was considered weird until reading your post. Now I'm questioning everything.

The main reason I've heard is that it can interfere with your writing if you wear it on the dominant hand. Like the strap will drag on the paper.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/11/18Developers-Start-Designing-Apps-for-Apple-Watch.html

"Starting later next year, developers will be able to create fully native apps for Apple Watch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Can't wait for April 10. There's nothing new to talk about now so the arguments are just going in circles.

• Locked thread