Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I call dibs on the 'send a goon your heartbeat' thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No way they're gonna be selling a 10k watch in a normal store

Not at a Walmart or Best Buy but they most likely will be at the retail stores. They're supposedly redesigning them just for selling the watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

 Watch Socks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Has anyone published the pricing for Applecare for these? I know the types of coverage has been, but not the $$$ amounts.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is this the new 'I made a cardboard cutout the size of the phone to see if it fits in my cargo jorts'

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Haggins posted:

If you buy a Sport, can you use any other Apple band on it? I kinda want the stainless 42 but I really don't want to spend $600, especially considering I'll probably want to upgrade when v2 comes out.

The knockoff steel band on Amazon is $225, so I imagine the bands from Apple will cost more than that. At that point, you might as well upgrade so you get the steel body and sapphire face.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

gohmak posted:

What is this one per costumer bull crap?

Is that for online orders or in-store purchases?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you're ordering online for home delivery that limit doesn't apply (according to that page). That's what I'm doing so it should be ok.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

For what it's worth, Apple has said they will have a software update available before launch that should fix the lag issues the Verge review talked about.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I can't wait for screen protector chat and case chat in this thread later this month.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

enMTW posted:

Does Apple Watch have a mechanism for sending hate?

Send a dickbutt digital touch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Store went down.

:f5:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Were you able to see how speedy the apps run? That Verge review went on and on and on and on about how slow it is. I wonder if the demo units have whatever patch Apple was working on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah. Don't be dumb and order it if you don't have the money.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I would say Apple's stuff doesn't have to worry about a gender divide.

Anecdote, but my wife, who is not a gadget nerd, fell in love with the milanese loop watch and without any hesitation wanted it, so we ordered it. Hers is shipping in the normal time frame. Mine is June :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I'm not really worried about it either. I ordered the ones we wanted and when they show up, they show up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Some rear end in a top hat stole my Amex number, so I had to kill the card and get a new one issued. I paid with my Amex through ApplePay when I ordered, and my new card is now associated with ApplePay, so everything should be ok when my order gets ready to ship in June, right?

Call Apple and they might be able to switch the payment method.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I just got my Watch USB cable in the mail. Ask me anything.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

One thing to remember is that there's going to be an obscene amount of third party bands. I bet someone will make some sort of black milanese band or whatever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So what happened to make the Nimblebit folks unliked around here?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

io_burn posted:

It's not just here, it's everywhere around the internet with a shocking majority of game developers. When the App Store launched, people could get away with charging $10 for a game, and everyone was happy. As more developers hopped on the App Store bandwagon, people needed a way to continue driving sales once being literally the only solitaire game (for instance) stopped being a main selling point. So, sales started happening, as that makes sense as a way to reinvigorate interest in your software. Sales eventually lead to prices at launch falling across the board, until everything just hit 99¢ by default. Once everything was 99¢, the only promotional vehicle developers had left was to make things free in hope that the surge of interest would result in more sales after the promotion was over. The reaction this caused was people who would be interested in buying software were effectively trained to just wait until something was free in a few weeks/months after it launched.

With consumers trained that everything will eventually be free, and developers happy to placate that, it lead to the inevitability of free to play coming about. Now games and apps are given away for free, and monetized via microtransactions. The consumer reaction to this is:

The cool part is, from a business perspective it doesn't really matter anymore. 64% of revenue comes from 0.2% of players, so people being cranky on reddit/forums/twitter/etc about developers having the gall to have something you can buy are barely vaguely relevant in a business sense. Players can be as grumpy as they want to be about developers switching over to IAP models, because the fraction of people that don't give a poo poo actually don't give a poo poo to an extent that they're cumulatively paying more money than people ever paying "full price" did.

:science:

Gotcha. I knew all that but I was wondering why they reacted they way they did. I remember when goons were falling over themselves saying how awesome Tiny X is and now it's the opposite. I thought I missed some drama.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mrs. Oquendo's Milanese Watch just arrived. Looks nice. Anyone want pictures?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

I feel like will probably trade the constant matte texture for a flatter, possibly shiner one in places, but get even softer.

Also, fun fact, you can swim in a pool with it, it's pretty loving crazy water resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW5CxZioIkk

I wonder if this triggers any of the liquid contact indicator things.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zwille posted:

I wonder if that strap is so tight because it wouldn't go any wider or because the person is dumb.

See the magnetic clasp on the bottom of the watch? That's as wide as the strap gets.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zwille posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo. Don't tell me that's the long version of the band.

That band goes from 130mm - 180mm for reference. Her hands are loving huge.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dumb question: Anyone get  stickers in the box? I didn't notice any in mine. Always a little treat. I hope that's not going away.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Stickers are only included with the $549 and up watches.

You sure about that? I didn't see any in the SS Milanese loop I have.

edit: Or is this a joke that's going over my head.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kenderama posted:

Has anyone else had problems using Apple Pay with the watch? I've tried two different places now, and while it works perfectly fine with the phone, I get the card to come up but it never recognizes the NFC. I wondering if I have a bad sensor, or do I need to press the drat watch against the sensor?

Whenever they show it off it looks like the put it realllllly close to the sensor.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Senf posted:

It's a stupid and kind of ridiculous question, but how did you scan it? I know that I usually have to put my phone face-down on the scanner; did you just twist your wrist around and tap it like you would your phone? Seems kind of funny to put your forearm onto the counter like that, but if it works!

Probably since that's how you'd have to use Apple Pay.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Has anyone with a milanese on order got a shipping update? I was late to the party ordering and all I have listed is "June."

I ordered one at midnight and got it on the 24th.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ultramiraculous posted:

The answer is yes and I don't want to talk about it.

You can't say yes and then not tell us the story.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Has anyone who ordered a stainless steel link bracelet model (either color) received it yet?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

gohmak posted:

Just picked mine up from UPS

I'm guessing it's not the black model.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That's weird man. In the reviews I read it said the Ion-X or whatever it's called is pretty darn tough.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If UPS is to be believed my watch will arrive Monday.

What are the current 'must have apps?' Any good goon made apps?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Got my black SS today. This thing is super slick. I didn't have any issues pairing it ( for some reason my wife's did back in April). Everything synched right up. Battery life seems fine. Still need to tweak a few settings. It feels as good as any steel watch and link band. The only downside is having to wait for OS 2 to really unlock more of what this thing can do.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Bought a 42ss in store today. Went through three of them before we found one that didn't have a crown that felt sticky/hard to move. Very weird.

Which one?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Probably not because apparently once you install the beta you cannot roll it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Technically there's no supported way to rollback iOS and Mac OS.

Right but you can flatten and reinstall an older OS if it's still being signed or in the case of OS X, drivers for your model.

From what I've read, there's no way to do that with the watch.

• Locked thread