Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

smackfu posted:

So no App Store or updated hardware for Apple TV. Maybe next year!

All it does is stream video. It's probably already overpowered for what Apple wants it to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Research Kit is legitimately cool and good for society.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Super Dude posted:

They should have just made a press release about this research thing.

You must be a hit a parties.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jesus that thing is thin.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well I'm definitely getting a new Apple TV.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ziploc posted:

Wait poo poo. Why is there a new ATV? I bought my sister the previous gen for Christmas.

I have the first gen black hockey puck, which doesn't get OS updates anymore.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel subconscious about using Passbook and Apple Pay with my phone. I'm happy to slide down the adoption curve a bit until it is less socially novel to strap a computer to my wrist.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

just_a_guy posted:

I am on The market for a fitness tracker. I really enjoy tracking my Gym performances etc. And healthkit integration is a plus but at The prices they are proposing The only One i am even considering is The black sport. Tais is One perchaste that unless i vet a massive bonus Will wait for gen2. I Will rather spend on The bragi dash (if there are fitness buffs here check it Out) Its got me excited

You should probably go to the hospital because it appears that you are having a stroke.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

Somehow I can see Snapchat working much better on the watch than Instagram. Twitter seems to have an ideal format as well.

Maybe it's just the people I follow, but Twitter these days is overrun by screen caps with highlighted text, which is an obnoxious workaround for sharing short bits of content that happens to be longer that 140 characters.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

dutchbstrd posted:

I mean say you make $100,000 a year. That is a very good salary no matter who you are. If you are at all responsible then cannot come close to affording an apple watch unless you truly don't give a gently caress.

Lets say you make $100,000 a year. I'm still trying to figure out why $350 for an Apple Watch is money well spent. Like, if I squint I can kind of see the attempted parallels to the iPhone announcement: Internet communicator, widescreen iPod, mobile phone. Except timepiece, fitness tracker, and personal communication device just don't resonate with me.

The timepiece functionality is so trivial as to be laughable. Faux-faces, faux-complications, etc. The face is only one part of a timepiece. Its casing and band are huge aspects of that, both of which are fairly limited at the sub-$1,000 level. The fitness tracker could have been truly novel, if the original rumors of a multi-sensor device panned out. As it is, it is extremely limited. As for the personal communicator, I want to like the idea, I really do, but ambient heartbeat and cutely animated drawings strike as a bullet point feature, not a tentpole.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it seems you like Apple Watch is for the person who gives no fucks at every price point. For the millionaire, there is gold and a Milanese loop. For the hundred thousandaire, there is stainless steal and leather. And for the college kid living high on the hog on student loans, there is aluminum and fluoroelastomer. But at no point in that can I see anyone with fucks to give picking up one of these things. I hope to be proven wrong though!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rabble posted:

Was talking with the Apple guy in the store the other day and he reiterated the fact that the Apple Watch Edition is only going to be sold in "high profile" stores or whatever. I still think a 10-17k smartwatch is dumb and it matches up with their decision to change the MacBook into an utraportable while leaving the Air alone.

Probably going to get flamed for this but I'm not quite sure of the direction Tim Cook is taking apple in. I don't see the Apple Watch trying competing with a ten thousand dollar pure gold mechanical timepiece because the kinds of people who put that money down do it for vanity or as an investment. A ten thousand dollar apple watch is still the same bits and pieces as the $350 sport wrapped in a bit of gold and everyone knows that. A rolex or whatever has internals and features that puts it above a $12 casio quartz. Apple trying to insert themselves in the high end watch market isn't really their business model and it shows in how they presented the device in the first place.

I'm confused by Apple Watch, but I'll happily flame you if you think the new MacBook is anything other than awesome. It's the perfect laptop for anyone who doesn't work in the tech industry and they're going to sell millions of them. :)

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

clockworx posted:

I'm sure the publicity and product awareness generated from people saying "Oh My God! A $10,000 watch?!?!?" are well worth it even if Apple were to hypothetically sell exactly 0 Edition watches.

Benedict Evans makes a similar observation, that Apple Watch Edition is a self-sustaining marketing effort much like Apple's stores are.

http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2015/3/12/why-is-apple-making-a-gold-watch

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

RVProfootballer posted:

People will keep buying Macbooks Air actually, until the 2nd or 3rd generation of Macbook "Just Macbook" Edition gets battery life, speed, and keyboard quality back up to Air levels (e: I realize I don't actually know how speed compares, I just vaguely remember people being disappointed in the new Intel M chips, right?)

If those are the cons that are going to hold back sales, then I really have to disagree. No one cares about speed anymore. It's been "good enough" for Gmail and Facebook and Office spreadsheets for years. The keyboard is what it is. The Macbook will never get thicker than it is now. If Sir Jony Ive could have designed a better keyboard, they would have shipped that one instead. Battery life is probabbbbbly good enough, but there's room to debate that one. On the other hand, you have that gorgeous Retina display, ridiculous size and weight, and color options. Put an Air and a new Macbook in front of a normal prospective buyer and I'd wager the Air doesn't stand a chance.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZShakespeare posted:

I don't know where the unrelated car analogy is coming from, but if you think that the purpose of a watch is to tell time, you are wrong. It's jewelry. If you want something to strap to your wrist to tell time, then yes, the casio is for you. No one pays >10k on a watch to tell the time, just like no one buys a McLaren to get to work.

Yep, Apple Watch -- confused as I may be as to the reason for its existence -- is an indication that Apple is outgrowing the technology sector. Apple Watch Edition is about the only aspect of Apple Watch that I understand. It is a luxury play. I like the car analogies because they're on a similar collision course with technology. Luxury and performance automobiles are amazing spectacles of design, but they are increasingly and almost universally ruined by in-vehicle digital experiences that loving suck. It's been said that software is eating the world. It would be foolish to assume that the luxury market is immune to this. Watches and cars are but two examples of technology's outward expansion. There's going to be a whole lot more of where Apple Watch Edition came from in the future...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

if only for aesthetic reasons.

This is an interesting point. I wonder what a ballpark churn rate is for other accessories that sit at the boundary between luxury and fashion... (I don't know because it's not my field.)

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is also a distinct group of people who worship at the alter of "being busy." I could see these people -- who are chronically buried in email and generally glued to their phones, bouncing from one notification to another -- being tempted by the perceived productivity gains of the Apple Watch. In that sense, the fitness tracking feature is insidious in that it provides even more mostly meaningless data to track against mostly meaningless goals, keep these people locked on a never-ending information treadmill.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bottom Liner posted:

Which is why this will be the first wearable that doesn't suck. Pebble was good, but kind of a halfway their device. The app support and this thing is going to have (along with touch screen, etc) is going to blow everything away. Even Flipboard is supporting it, skimming through news articles on a watch is pretty killer.

Eh, the WatchKit API is really, really limited in what you can do with it. It's basically notifications and either paged views like the weather app, or master-detail views like the email app. The first version doesn't even support animations -- you have to use an animated GIF or similar if you want to fake animation.

I mean, I guess it remains to be seen what the "reading experience" is like on a watch, but I can't see how the likes of Flipboard or Twitter translate to a watch UI. Reminders, messaging, directions, sports updates, and weather apps -- apps that are defined by pushing timely information to you -- seem like a natural enough fit. Beyond that, I really don't know what the watch is going to offer.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

shodanjr_gr posted:

Haven't they said that they will release an API that allows more full fledged apps on the watch? The current apps are limited to basically running as extensions on the phone from what I've read...

I'll also say that reading/skimming apps are gonna be the low hanging fruit of apple watch apps. Give devs a few months with the device so they figure out what UI modalities work and which don't...then we will see the good stuff. The fact that Apple places the watch largely as a platform is what excites me the most about it.

It's called WatchKit. You can read the details here, without a developer account:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/WatchKitProgrammingGuide/index.html

While I have no doubt future versions will be more powerful, the current models are all about notifications and two very simple app modes. I doubt you'll see any substantial changes before WWDC in June at the earliest.

Bottom Liner posted:

The examples you used don't even need the things you're saying it can't do. You don't need anything animated for simple reading and flicking through tweets, pictures, or headlines.

I was saying that I, personally, don't think these are good candidates for watch apps. I don't believe that people will opt to hold their wrists at an awkward angle and read and swipe a tiny screen to read when they have an iPhone in their pocket. Beyond that, I was trying to say that the API doesn't let you do much more than digest notifications and navigate very simple apps. Any "killer app" needs to work within those constraints. Think of something awesome that relies heavily on notifications and the sensors the watch has on board and I believe you're much closer to fabulous riches than porting a glorified RSS reader a la Flipboard.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

shodanjr_gr posted:

Watchkit is the existing API which, as far as I understand, runs the majority of the application logic on the phone and just pushes a presentation layer to the watch. It feels to me that it was written with two main considerations in mind, preserving battery life and allowing apps to reflow to arbitrary screen shapes. As I said, I believe apple said at some point during/after the first keynote that they were going to release a more lower level API at some point, but I could be mistaken.

I don't remember hearing anything like that, but yes, WatchKit works a lot like extensions, offloading most of the heavy lifting to the phone. Personally, I doubt we'll see a substantially different model until there are Apple Watches that work without an iPhone.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

smackfu posted:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/11/18Developers-Start-Designing-Apps-for-Apple-Watch.html

"Starting later next year, developers will be able to create fully native apps for Apple Watch."

Huh, weird. It's odd for Apple to telegraph its moves like that. I wonder if this really does signal some kind of forthcoming "WatchKit 2.0," or if it something more mundane. Perhaps it simply means that WatchKit apps will not require a host app on the iPhone. Either way, I'm skeptical that Apple would go through the trouble of outlining a very strict app model but let developers go hog wild less than a year later.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Appleghazi :freep:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

bobfather posted:

I think it will do a lot of things right, but fitness tracking won't be one of them. HealthKit is silly and half-baked in its current form, and since it is the critical component needed to "track" things, all the fancy sensors in the world won't matter if HealthKit can't display the data nicely.

I don't think HealthKit is about display, but about providing the framework to collect the underlying data.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jealous Cow posted:

I respond to, and author new, work emails from my phone while sitting in front of my computer all the time. This is a common behavior with business types.

Handoffs and Airdrop have really changed my workflow. I often start a task on my phone and then send it to my computer, or vice-versa. Airdropping a link from Tweetbot to Safari on my Mac in particular is awesome. I love convergence.

Meanwhile, Apple released Guided Tour videos for Apple Watch:
http://www.apple.com/watch/guided-tours/

I wish I could shake the feeling that it is a product in search of a problem. I can see definite flashes of potential, but it just doesn't feel like it has the cohesive sense of purpose that the original iPhone did. I hope I was just more of an unbridled optimist back in 2007.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gentleman, as you know, the choice of fedora that one dons to the Apple Store is not one to be made lightly. Thus honor would be served if my fellow compatriots could take a moment assess the selection below and leave their comments as to which would be most appropriate for this most serious endeavor:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

I was surprised how lukewarm the press was on the watch; was surprised that The Verge were as critical and analytical as they were, and even Gruber didn't seem like he could work up a lot of enthusiasm for it.

Yeah Gruber's review ended pretty abruptly.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really interested to see how all these new ideas feed into iOS9. I'm almost certain that the new iPhone with have force tap and tactic feedback (although we'll have to wait for the next iPhone event to see that on display), but what about the Activity app, or the new communication hub? I'm sure some of that will filter back onto the phone itself.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

smackfu posted:

Do any of the reviews go into more depth about the fitness functions? One of the reviews mentions that it takes your heart rate every 10 minutes, which is fine for resting HR, but it has to work differently when in workout mode.

Gruber basically said he is a fat rear end who doesn't exercise. The Verge had this to say:

quote:

It’s definitely nice to have these presets built in, but again, it’s all pretty much table stakes. There’s nothing that captures lifting weights, yoga, or other exercises that don’t either crank up your heart rate or trip the accelerometer with movement. You can use the “other” preset, which will always give you credit for a brisk walk even if the other sensors aren’t returning a ton of data, but it’s definitely not perfect. And I found that the heart rate sensor struggled during my workouts, especially when I was really sweaty; it consistently measured about half my correct heart rate instead of my full 148bpm.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

You okay buddy? You sound like you're having a pretty hard time with people talking about Apple Watch. Take a breath, it'll be OK.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

gohmak posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/14/teen-interest-in-apple-watch-wanes/

If they only knew the cheating possibilities with this watch. 1 tap = A, 2 taps = B. Come on teens.

I was thinking that the taptic engine would be a great tool for cheating at Vegas table games.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keep us updated. :rolleyes:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apple Watch arbitrage. Goons, man.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds like you've inadvertently stumbled onto evidence that People Are Stupid.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

~Coxy posted:

But then everyone in the other stalls can hear you.

Oh no my water broke but I hope no one heaaaaars meeeeee

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

io_burn posted:

I wrote a ton of words about my first week with the Apple Watch if anyone is interested in another droll idiot going on and on in some navel gazing think piece about the Apple Watch - http://toucharcade.com/2015/05/15/the-apple-watch-review-week-1/

That was a great review. I liked the focus on real world usage and how it meshed with your expectations coming in. Too many reviews try to project how other people will react instead of conveying impressions.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yo io_burn, you got another review coming up? I enjoyed reading your first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what I can tell, the Health app is basically a glorified debugging UI for CRUD operations on top of the overall datastore and Apple thinks the actual UI should exist as an intelligence layer, or contextually like the three rings on the watch.

• Locked thread