Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The fact that your go-to watch is a Rolex shows that you don't know very much at all about watches, though.

BTW, has anyone found exactly what you CAN do with the watch when you don't have your Iphone nearby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

Admittedly. Why don't you enlighten me, then? What is a comparable ten-thousand-dollar watch that guys who buy ten-thousand-dollar watches jizz in their pants over?

Sorry, I was being rude. Let me go at this another way. I'm not a watch guy either; I stopped wearing one a week after I got my first cell phone, and it was a $25 Timex anyway. (I have a friend who pisses away tens of thousands of dollars on these things though so I learn a little by osmosis.)

The point is that if you're not into higher end watches and jewelry and designer whatnots, the Edition watches obviously aren't for you. They aren't for me either. If I get one of these things it'll be a Sport because I'm more about functionality and cost than looks. But for many people looks matter just as much, if not more, than cost.

So I can sort of see what Apple is going for here. Where does the iPhone tend to do better in the US? Rich coastal cities. The kinds of places where people might actually care about a Milanese loop or 18k gold. The kinds of places where they won't be content with the plastic band for the proletariat. I'd bet that at least 3/4 of the sales are going to be the base Sport model, but there are people out there who just wouldn't buy it if that was their only choice, which is why the more expensive models exist.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I don't know man, I remember five years ago people were saying similar things about the iPad. "What do I need a giant iPhone for, that can't even make calls!" Go back farther and it's "I can't imagine why anyone would want an iPhone, how am I going to type without a keyboard!"

Apple has earned the benefit of the doubt I would think. They're by no means perfect but it's worth seeing how people use the watch a month or two after release before dismissing it.

Personally, I hate running with my phone, wallet, and other garbage so if I can play music, buy poo poo, and track miles without needing the phone on me I'll preorder a Sport.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

Honestly what's the better watch pebble time steel or apple watch sport?

If you want a real answer as opposed to tribalism you'll have to wait two months.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'll probably get one for running. Music storage on the watch itself isn't much (2 gig from the rumor I saw) but that's enough for a marathon and then some although you'd have to carefully curate your playlists. Being able to run and buy poo poo without needing my wallet or phone (as Apple Pay works without needing the phone) is a gigantic plus as well.

I'm ambivalent about it because of the price but Apple has never burned me yet.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Wait, really? Have you guys seen the Moto in the wild? The thing looked huge. I can't imagine any but the largest of women wearing it really.

I don't know how the Apple Watch looks in person but at least there's a smaller size.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, if I can actually be assed to wake up at 2:55 AM I'll be ordering the 38mm space gray sport for my dainty ladywrists.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
PRE-DIABETES DETECTED

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

So, as far as I've heard, the active heart rate tracking function obliterates battery. I've recently become interested in fitness tracking, but if I can get an inexpensive Fitbit that costs way less and is more uni-functional for that purpose, I think I might dismiss any notion of saving for an Apple Watch.

It depends. I'm not on the watch too much other than to check notifications and weather, but I did a 2 hour run in the workout app yesterday and finished the day with a little less than 20% battery. So it's probably not too big a deal unless you're a true gym rat.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yep, the graphing within the Health app is freaking terrible and there seems to be no way to change it.

(Poorly labeled axes, I WANT MY HEART RATE AS A LINE NOT A CANDLESTICK, etc.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

keyframe posted:

Picked up a black sports one from Apple Store yesterday and returning it tomorrow. Really tried to find anything good about it that justifies the price but I couldn't. Hopefully the second gen one will be better.

If you have 14 days it might be worth your while to wait a few more. It's a really nice device but it's subtle and it took me a while to figure out how it could be most useful.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

keyframe posted:

Yea I do but I don't think it will change my mind. Don't get me wrong I don't hate the watch but I can't think of a single reason to justify spending $590 on it ( :canada: ). If it was $250 or less I would keep it for the novelty and I like the workout notifications but I will just wait and see what the second gen brings.

Fair enough (and it's kind of ridiculous how much they're hitting the Canadians for).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Also there weren't any actual numbers. The best they could provide were estimates, and you have to figure yourself whether you trust their methodology.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mulva posted:

I'l admit that I touch it a lot less than I used to, but that's not because I'm using it any less; if anything I'm using it more. It's just that I have all my alerts configured the way I like so now when something does pop up I just glance at it to get the information. In cases when I do have to take action I use voice dictation or Siri. It's still integral for me every day from cooking dinner to fitness tracking to texting and calls.

This is basically my experience as well.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I just wish I could use apple pay at more places I go. Well, supposedly CurrentC is rolling out within the next six months so once that fails maybe more retailers will switch over.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's weird is I've never been less excited about a major gadget os update. I just can't imagine using apps on the watch. What it does now is good enough, although it would be nice if it did it a little faster.

Maybe there will be a killer app that changes my mind. Hopefully.

Yeah, it's odd. I quite like the watch for what I use it for--but I'd be happy to get rid of half the apps in the... app selector with the circles screen thing.

Maybe this is a form factor that no one, including Apple, has really figured out best practices for.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's really one of their weirdest products--I really like the watch, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to everyone, and I can't articulate why.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

Same with this. Mine really does turn of with the slightest movement after it's lit.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna take it in for a once-over.

One thing you can try beforehand--give the thing a quick rinse, particularly around the knob. Sometimes sweat or coffee or whatever can get in there. Then restart the watch.

What you describe has happened to me but it was a quick fix.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Apparently the Apple Watch might be one of the top gifts this Christmas? I find that odd. I have one and quite like it but have a feeling for many people it would end up in the "junk drawer" after a few months.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well if it was unopened you'd do all right...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just made a post on Craigslist for free furniture and I've gotten like 200 emails and my watch has been non stop vibrating. How do I make it stop ffs.

Turn off alerts for what I assume is that junk throwaway email account.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's improved my life, subtly, and I get annoyed when I forget to put it in before I go to work.

I haven't used a single third party app.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Wang posted:

I've gained a combined 50 pounds since the day I recieved my Apple Watch, which was 5/13/2015.

This wouldn't have happened if Steve was still in charge!!!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

badjohny posted:

Running Dev 1 of watch os3, I can tell you its like they somehow put a new cpu in the thing. The difference in app load time (maybe not the first time you open it, but every time after) its just night and day. It feels like a new watch.

According to... Gruber, I think it was, the Apple engineers were so worried about the battery giving out before a full day of use that they kind of gimped app refreshes (among other things) to conserve power. Most people ended their day with 50+% left in the tank, so I guess they have some leeway there.

Now the interesting thing to me is that if you use the workout tracking for more than an hour you WON'T have much battery left before you go to sleep. So much so that if all these changes come into effect I bet I'll run out of juice from time to time. I wonder what they're doing about that.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I think a case and protector is completely unnecessary. The only scratches I have on mine are from face planting on a concrete sidewalk from a running pace--and even then I was surprised the damage was as small as it was.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Dunno if it's been done yet, but has anyone seen a direct apples to apples comparison of battery life between S0 and S2? I've heard that the series 2 has much better battery life. If that's true it might actually get me to upgrade.

(I'm particularly interested in the Workouts app--my S0 can complete a marathon, but just barely. If I can make it through with >25% battery that'd be pretty nice.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Swappa is also good.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
You guys are really making me think about upgrading.

I was going to learn to swim too...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

That... doesn't seem so bad though to me? Two year old tech product going for less than half price; it might not keep its value like a Mac or iPhone but that's still pretty good relative to other tech products.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Apple watch went on sale 15 months ago

Wait, really? My apologies then, I thought it was farther back.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Could be worse. I looked on eBay for fun and saw a new in box yellow gold Edition (original price around $10k) go for $4,900. Ouch.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Feenix posted:

Just checking... Apple Watches (even the new S2) take a fucklong time to boot up, yeah?

Just making sure mines not wonky. Talking Apple logo for 2 min, give or take...

Can verify from S0, at least.

The plus side is that I've had mine since shortly after launch and only had to boot it up maybe 5 times max, excluding software updates.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

When's OS 3.1 due, and will there be a version 3.11 For Workgroups?

I doubt there are many people here old enough to get this joke, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

oversteps posted:

Can you guys recommend some essential apps or things I should be doing with it to use it to its potential?

To be honest I haven't found a single app on the watch that I ended up using. At least for now it just seems like a different kind of device, where pretty much only the stuff that's built in is the stuff I use. I'd actually remove some things if I could.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

chuck2020 posted:

Is anyone else running into battery issues with the original Apple Watch? I got one in Aug. 2015, and for the last two weeks the battery life has been crap. It used to last from 6:30 in the morning until around 10am the next day. Since Friday, it's barely been lasting from 6:30a to 9p. Today it died at 7 after coming off the dock at 11a. Is my battery dying or is this common? Should I just be buying a Series 2 and moving on?

Happened to me two weeks ago. Solved with a reboot for some reason.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Variable_H posted:

Tell me, goons, what are some of the super cool and life altering things I could do with a $400 wrist computer?

Yeah, I agree with the guy above. If the good smartphone is the luxury car, the Apple Watch is more like the leather seats and sun roof package. They won't change your life, but they can be nice to have. Fitness tracking, notifications, texting, directions, and even something as simple as alarms on the wrist are by no means necessary but they are really really convenient.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Thanks for that overview. Ironically as I was reading it I thought, "yeah, pretty much any of these sound like a great replacement for my jaybirds, which I don't like."

Maybe I'll just wait for Airpods version 2.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Taima posted:

The Sport scratches easily, that's just the reality of the situation. If yours is mint after 21 months that says a lot more about your level of activity than it does the watch durability.

Not really. I've had a Sport S0 since about 3-4 months after it was first released; after over 4,400 miles of running and various instances when I thought I'd scratch the watch, the ONLY scratches actually came from taking a complete faceplant onto concrete during a drunken sprint.

Apple made this thing pretty well.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Taima posted:

Wait so just so we're on the same page here, your screen is pristine except one time when you faceplanted... onto concrete...? And you have the sport watch?

In any case you make a good point which is that the type of activity matters, running is probably not hard on the watch at all. I was thinking more like outdoor sports with dirt involved, or the beach etc.

Yeah, maybe 200 of those miles are trail runs, but there's probably some hikes I'm not taking into consideration either. But really, I'm not sure what sort of sport you'd be into that would be banging it up all the time. Maybe if you forgot to take it off before rugby or american football. I don't even think activities like beach volleyball or ultimate frisbee would do too much damage, but I may be wrong.

Seriously, I'm impressed with the durability of this thing. I will probably wear it until the battery can't get through a day; there's no doubt in my mind the face will last that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My battery on my 0 was messing up but a restart fixed whatever was going on. At this point this watch will keep me happy until the new ones are announced. I’ll probably jump on those (assuming they also have GPS like series 2) since I would love to not need my phone when I’m out running.

Yeah, I think I'll run my S0 into the ground as well. But man... give me maybe 4-8 gigs of music storage, GPS, Apple Pay, and cellular, and that's really a fantastic runner's watch. We'll see I guess.

• Locked thread