Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The new OS is supposed to show other cards, e.g. Walgreens rewards cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
:iiam: was just going by the web site

Use more cards with Apple Pay.
Apple Pay lets you make credit card payments right from your wrist. With watchOS 2, you can now make purchases with your Discover card or store credit cards, like Kohl’s Charge. You can also add rewards cards, like Walgreens Balance Rewards and Dunkin’ Donuts DD Perks, and receive and redeem rewards using Apple Pay.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I noticed right away that the heart rate monitor glance only takes about 7 seconds to show a reading now, instead of the 15 it took before. Still not Fitbit-near-instant, but not as horribly laughable as it was.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I can't find any info about it other than 9000 people quoting one vague line on Apple's site, but does anyone know if the 42mm model actually ended up having a measurably longer battery life than the 38mm?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

pipebomb posted:

I had the 38 first, and now the 42. I can easily go a full 7a-11p day and have at least 50% left.

monkeu posted:

The battery life is great. I fell asleep with my watch on last night and it didn't need charging until late this afternoon. Pretty close to two days usage for me.

Do you guys, or anyone else getting this kind of battery life, have any features turned off?

I asked the original question because I've had a 38mm sport for six days now, and under what I would consider light use I'm not seeing anything close to that -- in fact after 16 hours I'm seeing 10-20% battery life left, which is why I asked about the 42mm version because an extra hour would make for a good buffer (which I can't believe I just typed about a watch, but I digress).

What I'm calling light use would be this typical day:

Mostly black watch face
Wrist twist detection on
Heart rate monitor on
Logging a 20 minute workout.
~ 20 email notifications
~ 15 app notifications
5 uses of Siri
3-4 timers in the 10-20 minute range (using Siri, but not included in the above 5)
2 uses of Apple Pay
Using maybe 15 Glances per day, not counting the swipes between them

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for the info, guys. I dunno, I'm either having bad luck, or maybe I got a "bad" watch. Unpairing / repairing didn't seem to change anything. The watch has, and still does, average about 5% battery use per hour. Obviously the time spent recording workouts uses more battery, but over a > 4 hour cycle, 5% per hour seems pretty consistent. At this point, I think most of the New Gadget Syndrome is gone so i don't think I'm messing with it significantly more than usual. And ive gone through all the settings and pared things down a bit, and am using the Utility watch face at minimum brightness, etc.

Obviously it still meets Apples advertised battery life, and frankly if I turned off all the battery level glances and complications I'd probably never notice any problem, but I'm geekin' out over it while I'm still in the return period.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Nope. I've recorded exactly one workout per day, Other, Open Goal, of 10 to 20 minute duration.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Agronox posted:

... but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to everyone, and I can't articulate why.
Ooh ooh, let me try.

It's a device that can do a lot of completely unnecessary but convenient things -- some well and some not so well -- turning it, in the end, into a big bag of expensive mediocrity.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bobfather posted:

As opposed to traditional wrist watches that cost the same or more for a nice brand but only tell the time?
Yes, kind of exactly. Like Mike points out. The Apple Watch does a lot of little things well and not so well, and can reasonably be expected to be obsolete in a few years. Contrast that to a decent to good watch, which is pretty much the opposite of all that.

Note I'm not really ragging on the Watch, but what I said is basically why I personally would not recommend buying one to people who ask, which is what I was replying to.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So if anyone remembers and/or cares about my odd battery use, I picked up a new watch (42mm instead of 38) and although it's early it's looking like this one will have close to 50% better battery life, so I'm guessing the original was just a bum watch, despite it still making advertised spec.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For what it's worth I found the wrist detection on my original 38 nearly flawless* -- it displayed when I thought it should be displaying, and not at other times. In the first 24 hours I've had it, the 42 seems a bit too aggressive about it, and the it comes on (seemingly) a bit more often

* while not laying down

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

smoobles posted:

Question for watch owners:

Can you set up an app to only give notifications during certain hours? My goal in owning one would be to auto ping myself at work (9 to 5) when a task item comes in.
Not that I know of, unless that app has that ability coded into it.

You can toggle notifications on/off on a per app basis (using your phone), but afaik you have to do it manually through the Watch App on your phone (which works very similarly to the Settings app -- I.e. your toggle will be a couple levels deep but your position in the app will be remembered).

Or, depending on the app, you may be able to Rube Goldberg something through IFTTT or something similar.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm actually not sure though: can you pair a single iPhone to two watches simultaneously?
In case this wasn't answered, no you can not. Not without hacks/jailbreak/other gooniness, at least.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Can't see that (band) market expanding much. We already have

1) "Just like" Apple's but much cheaper.
2) A few niche Our Own Special Boutique Design collections.
3) Put your own pattern on a cheap band services.
4) Adapters that let you use any 22/24 mm watch band.

Seems like that pretty much covers it, to me. I suppose a few more 2s may show up.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Haggins posted:

I use AnyList mostly as a grocery list that I share with my girlfriend. They don't have a watch app yet but it does import from reminders. That way I can say "Hey siri, add deodorant to the grocery list" and it'll eventually make it's way to the app. Once it's in the app, my gf can see it in her list if she happens to go to the store. Omnifocus
So, unless your girlfriend doesn't have an iPhone, what benefit does the AnyList part give? You can make a grocery list in Reminders and share it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

killa-pope posted:

I guess I'm looking more for a way to easily access the mark as read/archive options.
Have you tried swiping the message from right to left? That may/should give you a "... More" button which you can tap and mark it as read.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That's a lot of freaking out over an unusual conjunction of just-before-Christmas gadget sales.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Agronox posted:

Turn off alerts for what I assume is that junk throwaway email account.
Or for even more fine-tuning, use the VIP email contact list and set your watch to only let those through.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh this is awesome. I didn't know that was a feature. Is there a way to do the same but with iMessages? Have it only notify me when my "favorites" text me?"
Not that I know of. I think the VIP list idea is exclusive to email.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Pretty much. It also extends the warranty for a year. It does not cover loss/theft, though, I don't think.

Seems like a no brainer to me, especially since I doubt the battery will last two years what with all that chargin' and all.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Reminders Plus or Reminders Nano, to let you actually see a reminders list (and check off items).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Saying there aren't many useful/worthwhile third-party apps and making GBS threads on it are two different things.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or just thinks a passcode on a watch is unnecessary and annoying.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Haha, jeez, I was just offering another possible reason why he may not want one. I can't help answer his question because there seems to be info missing, but I agree with Dewgy on this part:

Dewgy posted:

If you get asked for your passcode every time the screen comes on something is definitely wrong.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Setting up Apple Pay on the watch requires a passcode, for info. They won't let you get around that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

robodex posted:

How accurate is the heart rate monitor?
I've used mine for about six months, and in general it works great until it doesn't.

That is, it's either quite accurate or obviously wrong (e.g. showing 86 when it should be in the 130s). The method of getting it to go from obviously wrong to accurate during a workout has escaped me so far, but it usually fixes itself within a minute or so.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not much for the watch itself (other than options for HR monitoring periods other than 10 minutes, but that's not going to happen), but I really wish the Health app / HealthKit wasn't the half-assed pile of mediocrity it is today.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

japtor posted:

I think 2.2 upped HR sampling to every 5 minutes, ...
Hey, looks like they did. Or they did something, here's a chunk of intervals from yesterday afternoon, minutes between readings:

3, 9, 6, 6, 6, 3, 12, 4, 3, 6, 8, 4, 4, 2, 16, 17, 5, 3, 5, 6, 8.

:thumbsup:

The HeartWatch complication is neat, thanks for that, but I'm not sure I want to jump down that rabbit hole yet.

E: I know about the motion thing with sample rate, I just think the almost complete lack of 5s was funny.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 17, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In case people were serious, it's just a regular watch band with one of those $7 watch band adapter things you can find on eBay/Amazon.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

japtor posted:

I remember wishing that they'd have a minimal always on mode cause all that extra battery life (still do!).
You can always put it in power reserve mode whenever you want. Having to basically reboot it to turn that mode off kind of makes that worthless, though.

I'm just hoping the update gets rid of the stupid long "Waiting" when you go to check your pulse (while not in a workout). Nothing like performance being stomped by a $9 fingertip oximeter.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah like $30 or something.
For those that don't know, AppleCare for the watch is $50, and the replacement deductible is $69. Or it was last September.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

shadowvine118 posted:

I just got the 38mm sport yesterday. How important is it for me to a get a case and screen protector?
Not at all important. My grey sport is almost 10 months old now and there are no (visible) scratches on either the face or body. I'd suggest getting AppleCare and just not worrying about the watch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sport is $249 on Groupon sold by "GrouponGoods", and there's no mention of any warranty on the page (which the Groupon FAQ page says would be there if there was any warranty).

E: Lmao knows this, but for others the Groupon one is refurbished.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 19, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
On my non-beta setup the Now Playing app only does iTunes stuff, but the ... Media Control (?) glance controls Spotify (pause/play, volume, forward, back).

Edit: I guess the glance is called Now Playing, and the app is Music, which has a Now Playing button. Glance recognizes Spotify, app doesn't.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 14, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There are no general must have apps, really, imo. Specific use cases may be different (e.g. If you cycle).

Possibly something like Reminders Nano because the watch doesn't sync with your Reminders list until OS3 comes out in the fall.

Personally about the only "first thing" I'd do is, if you don't think you'll use it, turn off Hey Siri. I've found it can be a significant battery drain.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If anyone's interested, Best Buy is having a two-day sale and has a lot of (but not all) watch combos on sale. Mostly $50 off Sport watches and $100 or $200 off some SS ones.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rubiks Pubes posted:

For those of you that use sleep trackers, when do you charge your watch?
I don't use a sleep tracker, but find that charging it while I shower/shave/etc in the morning is almost always enough time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Two non-looks-related things:

1) It may have been due to something else, but I originally got a 38mm sport and found the battery charge struggled to reach 22-24 hours. Switched to a 42, and I easily can count on 26, even with a 30 minute workout.

2) I find it noticeably easier to enter the passcode on the 42mm watch (which you need to do every time you put it on, if it's enabled - and it has to be enabled if you want to use Apple Pay). Pretty minor point.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

JamesOff posted:

Or you can set it to unlock the watch when you unlock your phone (if the former is on your wrist).
You know, I didn't realize that so I checked and I actually have that setting on. Guess that shows how much I use my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LPG Giant posted:

So you gen1 people, you ever get trouble reading the screen in the sunlight? How comfortable is the back of the watch on warm (or cold) days?
No, and never noticed it to be uncomfortable. Feels a little odd when you sweat heavily but I imagine all watches would.

The first watch came with a 5W adapter and 2m charging cord in the box.

The ceramic back part seems odd, since either I'm blind (not unlikely) or the shell is one piece. Unless by "back" they mean the circle part with the HR sensors.

• Locked thread