Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005
How about the leather loop?

And some day old news, granted already assumed for a while but confirmed now, native SDK including access to sensors coming at WWDC:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/27/apples-jeff-williams-says-native-watch-sdk-will-give-direct-access-to-sensors/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

monkeu posted:

It will be exactly the same as new versions of iOS I would guess. Revealed and given access to developers at WWDC, end users can finally use it in September or whatever.
Yeah most likely, basically announcement with beta release there along with some nebulous final release timeframe like "Fall".

Can't wait for non developers to install betas and complain about them crashing and making their watches unusable :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I love how a lot of articles about the Watch os2 are saying "finally" about things like native apps, 3rd party complications, etc. the thing has only been out for a loving month!
Reminds me of these.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And they just announced third party complications but not faces, right? Because it would be great to have more faces to choose from.
Yeah complications. On one of the slides was something like "ClockKit" which got me excited for a second, but I can't imagine that's for third party faces just cause it seems like it'd be big enough to mention during the main keynote.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You can do your own background with the OS 2 update. Can't do anything else with it though.

Hell it was shown initially then pulled before launch for whatever reason but it's back apparently, along with the city time lapses.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

http://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/397w8f/made_some_custom_watch_faces_you_can_download/cs16sqh

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone wanting Space Black, apparently the 38mm has been getting in stores for pickup, the 42mm not an option for pick up at all though (I think every watch but that one is available). On the plus side it seems like the estimated delivery time has been early July for a while now and apparently they've been filling a lot of later orders early in Europe recently...US orders not so much.

enMTW posted:

:siren:BREAKING NEWS:siren: Apple Watch 2: Apple plans FaceTime cam, iPhone-free Wi-Fi, $1000+ models, similar battery life. http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/18/apple-watch-2-camera-tetherless/
Kinda wondering about that wifi part, cause iirc watch OS 2 is bringing at least some that type of stuff already. 5ghz wifi would be nice for people stuck with those networks though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TinTower posted:

Okay, I've got a strange bug – the Music app has two songs, both purchases, that are neither downloaded onto my iPhone or visible in my Purchases (basically: they're 12 Days downloads I don't care much for), which I can't seem to get rid of. Any way to get rid of them that I appear to have missed?
Uh well I got the same thing yesterday. The Music app on iPhone showed purchases (even though the option was off) so I played a few tracks to see what was up, and those appeared on the watch. Force quit stuff and toggled options again and the phone was fine but they're still showing up only the watch. Only thing I haven't tried yet was restarting both devices, trying it now...and that didn't work.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

OMGzKakaniz posted:

First day with the watch and loving it so far. The watch completely turned off (was at 80% battery) and the only way I knew is I got a message from my phone instead. I had to hold both buttons down to hard reset. Has anyone run into this? Hopefully don't have a dud.
If it was completely shut off I think you wouldn't need to do the reset combo, i.e. just hold the uh friend(?) button to start up, so it sounds like it was locked up. Not sure if it matters but maybe try a proper power down and back on if you're paranoid, phone too if you're extra paranoid. I think I've had it once before a while back but it's been fine before and since that so hopefully it's just a freak crash.

If it keeps happening the main thing to try is just wiping and restoring the watch cause afaik Apple will mention that as part of the troubleshooting if you call in. If that doesn't work hopefully they won't ask you to do it with the phone too, not a huge deal with a backup, but still really annoying.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

There's no benefit to running it anyway.
Latest beta apparently gets rid of the crown press that centers the app grid on the watch icon. It just goes straight back to the watch face if you press it while on the app grid :toot:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

It also now has bigger unlock keys I noticed. Still not enough reason to want to use it. Supposedly they fixed Notifications. I haven't had haptic feedback in over a month on the watch. Sucks :(
Tried restarting the watch and phone, or restoring the watch?

bort posted:

I had my first sensation of a haptic when the watch wasn't on.
Wha?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

If it doesn't sell well after the launch (with respect to expected sales, that is), they'd be much more likely to stick with not releasing numbers, yeah? They'd just say "we won't release numbers, like we said previously, but they're selling like hotcakes!" If it sells more than the commonly expected numbers, they'd only gain by saying "look, we sold a mountain more than you all thought we did, here's the numbers to prove it." Yeah or no?
Yeah I'd expect it to be broken out at some point if/when it becomes more established, both in sales and software (particularly cause how much reliance on iPhone there is for now). In any case the next quarterly should be interesting just cause even if it just does ok the effect should still be noticeable in whatever category numbers it's being stuffed into. They might as well reshuffle the iPods in there too if they haven't already.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The Apple Watch doesn't need, but will certainly get 2 million sales it's first year. Anything more than 2 million and less than 4 million is great and anything more than 4 million is spectacular, as far as this niche market is concerned. I doubt anyone at Apple is concerned in the least, what with the inevitable boost Watch OS 2 will provide.
Good news then! That one analytics company (with the questionable at best sampling methods) had it slowing down to 30k/day, so about a million/month. Those same guys estimated 2.5 million orders through the middle of May. So by their numbers I guess they're saying Apple sold around 4 million at this point? I'd be more curious how it does during the holidays.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Agronox posted:

and you have to figure yourself whether you trust their methodology.
It's already been covered a bit, but yeah...you shouldn't.

Someone mentioned US only before, and out of that subset it's down to people willing to give out email credentials to let them scan for receipts. And other than that I don't know if they collect much (if any?) demographic data. So basically as far as proper survey/statistics methodology they seem to be a sham, last I looked into it all I could find were hand wavy claims. It might be fine for predicting "if we had more Slice app users this is how they'd shop" but not so much for extrapolating results to the whole country, much less the world.

There could be a lot more watches out there. Or a lot less. Or somewhere in between.

In any case I like mine, and especially glad I had it yesterday with some family drama just cause I didn't have to pull my phone out (and/or keep it out) for the billion messages that came through :suicide:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

milkaxor posted:

There are definitely a lot more. Their numbers don't include in person or international. I don't know why people were ever following their numbers to begin with. I guess it was a matter of "Apple isn't giving us anything so we'll publish whatever we can find."

I love my watch as well.
Well my less argument would be that they're extrapolating from people using Slice, which might be skewed more towards early adopter types than the general population and would throw off their huge early estimate.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

there's a reason their data is reported by all the reputable sites.

MrBond posted:

tech journalism.
Pretty much.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

io_burn posted:

So we're all in agreement that wearing the Apple Watch around water and potentially swimming in a lake is A-OK? I know a lot of people did water tests when it first came out, but I don't know what the final consensus was beyond "Hey, neat, it works I guess."
Just saw this today:
http://furbo.org/2015/07/14/a-watch-water-and-workouts/

One thing I was wondering about was salt water but it sounds like it's fine just as long as you're good about washing afterwards. Basically it seems to survive it fine, but there's usability issues cause water and capacitive screens don't really mix. Well that and he's using the aluminum one, I don't know if there'd be a difference with the steel casing.

(Well efb but think of it as a repost for the new page :downs:)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anandtech review: http://anandtech.com/show/9381/the-apple-watch-review

Don't forget to read the comments :laugh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Space Racist posted:

So, over a billion in revenue in the past quarter is probably a decent start, right?
Probably, and apparently accelerating. Also selling faster than the iPhone and iPad, latter of which did 3 million in 80 days.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Full admission I've been out if this thread for hundreds of posts...

Just wanted to take a pulse on the early adopters and their usage. Was there a novelty period that died off and the you were like "ummm, I don't really use this thing much."?

Or is it still awesome and integral to you? My plan is to get the next one they make. Which is different for me because I've always been an early adopter on Apple stuff.
It's awesome because I don't use much :smug:

But seriously it's like Mulva and the others above, once past the screwing around with new toy stage (or as part of that stage) I was basically just paring things down as much as possible to the stuff I was accessing most often. I was already pretty minimal to begin with but still reduced stuff down from that.

Glances are kinda weird to deal with since they can't do any app interaction right now (just display), I'm guessing/hoping OS 2 addresses that, cause interaction wise they're basically glorified app launchers other than the Apple ones. Home screen has become surprisingly ok for me since I've gotten my primary use apps right on the "main" zoom/view, so I don't have to pan around looking for them. Third party complications will go a long way towards streamlining things further though.

And yeah, notifications :toot:, doesn't sound like much but it's awesome once you (again) pare those down to what you really want to be notified of, and just get used to them on your wrist (vs pulling out your phone a lot).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

On average how far from a plugged in/stationary phone are you guys able to go and still have it interact?
I think it depends on if it likes your network setup. Like ideally it traverses the LAN and the range will be as far as your wifi reaches. On mine it doesn't seem to (or else my watch would work from the backyard when the phone is in my room), although it should in theory, maybe it'll work better in OS 2.

Otherwise I'm not sure, but it does seem to have a decent range, like I just pinged my phone from like >50 feet now...but for all I know the wifi traversal is working where I just tested it :iiam:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Of course you'd use the Mickey face.
Mickey owns. He also looks higher or lower at one of his hands sometimes (hell it happened while writing this) but I haven't figured out if it's tied to anything, like I've seen him go from looking at his hands to back to normal.

Agronox posted:

I just wish I could use apple pay at more places I go. Well, supposedly CurrentC is rolling out within the next six months so once that fails maybe more retailers will switch over.
I thought it already failed, iirc some of the retailers behind it said they'll be supporting Apple Pay.

IuniusBrutus posted:

It also will lose little to no value if you buy smart. Nothing wrong with an Apple Watch, but its functionality in no way justifies the price (no smartwatch does IMO) and, like nearly all modern electronics, is a disposable good.
On the other hand I'm actually wearing this thing :v:. I have a Rolex somewhere but never wore it consistently enough to even get the automatic winding to keep time properly (I also got a winder case but that didn't help much either).

But yeah ultimately it's an electronic item, it's all about the present value, and priced as such relative to a fancy watch...except the gold one :retrogames:, but I guess you could compare to much more expensive gold watches there too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Consummate Professional posted:

My brother got a watch tonight and I learned how the sketch feature worked as I saw a dick appear before my eyes. God drat it
At least he didn't send you his dickbeat.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The Hoco ones on Amazon are supposedly fine, shouldn't be too hard to find examples on MacRumors and other crazy forums like that. And yeah there's an official thing but I have no clue if anything is shipping yet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pipebomb posted:

So I bought this to go with my space gray sport. It's pretty nice, not too heavy, easy to adjust. I'm trying to find something similar but in like a dark red/maroon. Any ideas where to look?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010DV47HW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Aliexpress and eBay don't seem to have anything. If you really want a red metal mesh you might need to do it yourself or find some company that can do it, like maybe ask those guys that gold plate the watches/bracelets.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Selklubber posted:

Has anyone tried measuring heartbeat by putting the watch on a dick? Googling "Apple watch penis pulse" didn't find anything :(
I only thought of it cause someone in this thread did it a while back.

Well that was easy to find, the key was a site search and "dickbeat", starts here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703271&pagenumber=57#post445125020

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah it seems app dependent, like I think most stuff I have is fine but I know Facebook does the useless "you have x notifications" thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Their adapter kit is in the cheapest Made for Apple Watch third party band you can find.

Hell if I know if any of those are actually on sale though. And I think they only come in stainless but I haven't looked at the MfAW documentation since the original announcement.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I imagine it'd be hard to have a compass app on the watch cause the sensors are in the phone and there's no reliable way to figure the watch direction relative to the phone.

Unless there's a hidden magnetometer or something.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

The new animated emojis are amazing.
:fry: two handed emojis. Actual fist bumps (instead of just...a fist) are a game changer.

And spending some time with it last night and today, OS 2 doesn't seem like a huge deal, it's an improvement...but it's just an improvement. I'm curious how glances will be with native support, but I don't know how much changes there as far as what's possible. Right now third party wise I just use them as launchers for Fantastical and Clear, and third party complications would work better for that (and simple data display) to the point that I wouldn't need the glances unless they have actual functionality to them (like the Music one).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I played basketball with it a few weeks ago cause I forgot to take it off, it was fine!

Although in one of the last games I nearly smacked someone right in the face with the watch face going for a rebound (...or maybe I did, but the watch and the guy's face were fine).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Has anyone else had problems with Fantastical not notifying for reminders on their watch? All my settings look good, but i just cannot get this app to work with my reminders - they silently go into the notifications tray, but i don't get any kind of visual/audible/physical notification.
I haven't tested if it's changed in OS 2, but the problem I had with Fantastical and the watch was that it seemed like the alerts (audible/tactile on the watch) needed the iPhone app to have sound notifications enabled. I had it disabled before cause I used a custom sound w/the stock calendar app while leaving visual notifications for Fantastical, and turning them on finally got the watch to ping me, vs just silently pushing to the Notification Center like you say. I have Gmail and a bunch of others silent as well and they do the same thing.

Main issue seems that there's no alert granularity with third party apps in the watch setup app like there are with the built in ones, it's just on or off, and I guess it figures if you let it make sound, you'll want to be sound/touch notified as well (...which seems reasonable enough, but I just want to customize it for random edge cases like this!).

If you have Fantastical sounds on and it's still not working, I dunno :iiam:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Getting my Apple Watch sometime this week. What kinda fuckery can I do. Give me lists but not links to tech websites b/c gently caress em
- Spend a few days going through notification settings to get things how you like. Not 100% on it but I think if something it set to make a sound, it'll ping you on the watch, while other notifications will silently go to the tray without tapping you.

- Put the phone on silent forever since you won't need sounds from it anymore. Watch too if you want complete silence cause you can rely on the taps alone fine.

- Look at the time.

- Look at and ignore notifications/people faster than ever.

- Send stupid elaborate animated emoji to unsuspecting normal phone owners.

- Get frustrated by third party app/glance speed/functionality and delete most of them. If you find apps you find useful, you might want to try switching the watch raise setting to last app rather than watch face. Like I use Clear for my shopping list and it was semi useless on the watch before I changed that setting.

- Force press places to see if there's stuff, like in the notification tray it gives a "clear all" button (...that you'll wish the iPhone had, although I guess the 6S will probably have it with 3D Touch?).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bobfather posted:

Double tap the power button.
Only opens Apple Pay cards, doesn’t show the rest of the stuff from Passbook Wallet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah the best I've been able to explain is that you have to live with it for a bit. Most tangible thing I've come up with more recently is just rarely missing calls/messages/etc now while keeping everything silent, and even that doesn't sound like a big deal without experiencing it. I didn't appreciate it as much until I had to charge my watch and go by sounds for a bit when I happened to get a bunch of messages (...and I think they were mostly unimportant ones which didn't require a reply, another thing the watch is nice for).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So if anyone remembers and/or cares about my odd battery use, I picked up a new watch (42mm instead of 38) and although it's early it's looking like this one will have close to 50% better battery life, so I'm guessing the original was just a bum watch, despite it still making advertised spec.
Yeah sounds like it. The workout was the only obvious thing that should be eating battery, but you didn't even use it for that long so it shouldn't have been affecting it that much. Maybe the timers eat battery like crazy? :iiam:

I did hit power reserve (it queries at 10% I think) last night on my 42mm after about 16 hours I guess, including 2 hour workout logging for basketball...which I've done a few times now so it was weird seeing power reserve come on actually. I'm guessing it's been usually in the teens or 20s those other nights and I just used it more yesterday. Lazy rear end non workout days are usually 40-50% or more by the end of the day, but I might be getting up and putting the watch on later those days too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

Wrist flicking to get the screen to come on is finicky and inconsistent. Sometimes a small twist works, sometimes it takes a comical Monty Pythonesque arm waggle to get it to light up. It doesn't work at all lying down, so you need to tap with your other hand. If you are on the subway or a bus, and your watch arm is holding a bar above your head, it does not respond to subtle wrist movement, necessitating the use of the (often occupied) other hand to clumsily reach up and tap. When you do get it to light up, it turns off too quickly. Yes, there is a new 70 second "stay lit" option, but it doesn't work. Why? Because, unlike when you are trying to show the time, the watch is VERY sensitive to movement when it is lit. So the slightest tremor of the wrist, and the the watch goes back off, regardless of the "stay lit" time.

I'm not being spergy, I'm not being picky, I just often find I have to tap the screen to get the time, wait the .5 seconds for the screen to come on, and then hope it doesn't blank out too quickly while I'm still looking at it.
I've had a better experience than you but I get what you're talking about. As just a watch it'd be really nice to have an ambient mode like Android Wear, outside of long workout tracking days like mine above I feel like it'd have enough battery to do it. Even some lower power (less pixels/simplified) versions of the clockfaces would be fine if it needs to be more battery friendly, and do some fancy fade into the standard face on raise or something.

As far as flicking/waggling, I think the issue you're running into is that it doesn't seem designed to recognize it, or maybe filters it out to an extent even. Like a subtle turn or turn and raise seems more consistent than blatantly flicking and waggling it. Lying down actually works alright testing it out right now (I wonder if OS 2 tweaked anything there cause I remember having issues before), while my subway simulation (pull-up bar in my room :v:) has the same result as you.

...and the tap on wake timer doesn't seem to work for me, it's turning off after 15 seconds regardless of the setting.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Had an interesting experience with battery life the other day, went into power reserve in the middle of the afternoon. Unpaired (which makes a backup) and restored and it still seemed to be running down abnormally afterward. Restarted the phone and everything has seemed fine after that. Only quirk I noticed is an app on the watch appeared to reinstall, so I guess something got jacked up with app syncing and just ran the watch battery down.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

Yeah, they're already out on amazon/ebay/alibaba and look just fine. Before the Hermes was even released, I saw some 3rd party cuff bands on Amazon and thought even then that they framed the watch better than a regular band.
But you don't get the Hermès watch faces :v:

(And apparently Hermès is in the iOS autocorrect dictionary)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
My watch survived the daylight savings time switch :toot:. I did the time travel thing before and it properly moved the hour back when I was scrolling forward last night.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

monkeu posted:

Ah thanks. Is that new in 2.0?
Yep.

So are live photo faces!
http://www.awphotofaces.com/livephotos

Apparently they're just jpeg+mov. But no dickbutt there for some reason :iiam:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LorneReams posted:

I have the Apple Milanese loop and it slips too. It actually didn't do it at first, so I'm wondering if the magnet just might be dirty or something.
Mines fine, but I guess how much slippage you mean. I know it gets looser, but not noticeably loose enough or anything, like it's still snug when I wear it.

Jose Oquendo posted:

You do for nightstand mode.
The watch itself can sit fine sideways cause the band just holds it up, and the charger disc rests fine vertically.

I do get the convenience of docks though, it (if only slightly) simplifies something you do twice a day for as long as you have the device, but I ain't paying $80 for that convenience. I kinda like that it looks squishy/soft though...maybe I'll wait for a cheap knockoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

Thinking of picking up a watch, but just wondering whether it's worth waiting until the second version comes out. Is there a consensus or rumour about when we should expect another model? Or if that will even be a significant enough upgrade to wait for?
:iiam:

I think it could be significant just cause the current one is basically an A5 at 28nm (i.e. old CPU on an old/larger process). I wouldn't expect the latest core or anything, but Apple has come a long way since then CPU wise nearly every generation. Plus one benefit the Watch has vs the other devices is a tiny screen and relatively simplistic uses, so they won't have to put as much of an emphasis on GPU performance and use up more die space there.

There's rumors of sensor stuff or various other features, but I think I'd be happy if the main thing was just better performance...and louder speaker would be nice I guess for the times I've answered calls on it. Other stuff I'd want is more software related.

If you want one of the fancier steel ones I'd wait, or if you want one now just find a deal on a sport model then sell/upgrade to a fancier one when the second gen comes out (if it's enough of an upgrade for you at least).

• Locked thread