Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Stop with this dumb life saving bullshit and talk about my new toy dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
dat aluminIUM.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Speaking only personally, I was in the market for a low end luxury watch in the 1-3k range so I could wear it here (Nigeria) and not worry too much about it getting stolen. Now I'm just getting the apple watch. It falls on the low end of what I was looking to spend, provides more function, and is a nice little conversation piece. (Although I get the feeling that the conversation is going to be "you actually bought one of those things?" " :smith: ")

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

If you think apple is Doing everything they can do and that's 18 hours you're a fool fan boy who will defend anything. Just admit you're a shill. It's fine. But acting other wise is just sad

Coming into a thread for a product you are not interested in just to insult people who might be interested in it is just sad.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I will not buy anything that uses a battery until we have portable cold fusion.

(do not Toxx this)

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
This is a poo poo thread.

I just want to buy a product that conceptually interests me despite some flaws I think it might have. I bought an iPad gen one for the same reason and enjoyed my time with it despite its issues. I imagine this would be the same. Yes the gen 2 apple watch will be better, stronger, faster, use holograms and read my mind instead of making me talk into the phone like a plebeian.

I'll probably get that one too, I know, I must be the worst kind of devil.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
My understanding is that it opens at midnight PST.

Also I can't be the only person who gets a kick out of stupid unboxing videos. This one has a bonus of being French: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-unboxing-video/

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Lets say, for example, someone lives in a backwards rear end third world country, but will be back States side in July. Should I pre-order it and have it delivered to my parents and have it sit there for 3 months or should I just wait and try my luck with scarcity when I get there.

What would you do? I'm leaning towards waiting, but I think there is a significant enough chance that when I get back in July it will be really hard to track down a SKU I want.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Feeling pretty smug waking up at 8AM here and preordering. Now I just have to wait until July when I am back in the states so I can pickup the drat thing.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I keep reading a lot of great things about the loop bands, but I can't get over the bulge at the fold, I find it very distracting. Is this something that is more pronounced in pictures or is it just that those of you raving about them just aren't that put off by the bulge.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Your watch could if the taps were stronger.

You mean if the battery lasted more than a day so we could sleep with it on. :colbert:

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is there any evidence that obsessively checking your email for shipping updates will speed things up, despite being told your watch will arrive in June? Looking to justify my neurotic behavior.

Can't hurt. I'm doing the same for mine that had the 24th-8th timeframe even though I can't actually use the drat thing until mid June at the earliest most likely.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
There are a lot more elegant ways to handle the Skus, the simplest would be to do the final packaging stateside with the bands. So they ship millions of sport and SS watches bandless to some hub where it is then paired and packed with an ordered band.

Alternatively, they can pre ship complete finished Skus over by April tenth and then do what I described above to fill in the gaps as the orders trend away from forecasts in certain Skus. Boom. Done. Added flexibility with the same "apple elegance" in the packaging.

Let's say even with that they STILL sell out of a specific band, they can always send a follow up email saying they sold out of that specific band, and present alternative bands that they would be able to get out sooner.

At the end of the day it's 4 (8 if you found the black watch bodies which lets ignore for this argument because those are kind of locked into their specific bands anyway) body differences. The band is just an accent add on.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Except every single body is currently sold. There are no more bodies to go around. It's a supply issue, not a logistics one.

Yea but the guy who ordered the sports band watch with the shipping estimate of June who has his watch now whereas the guy (me) who had the classic buckle with a shipping estimate of 24th-8th still hasn't had it shipped. That's logistics.

It doesn't matter to me because I live abroad and I'm not getting mine realistically until June regardless. (I have to wait until someone can bring it with them from the states.)

I'm not saying supply isn't an issue because it is the main issue, but the lovely logistics is exacerbating things.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

io_burn posted:

But at the end of the day, how much does this matter to Apple? They're selling absolutely every Apple Watch they have, profits are higher than ever, and investors are tripping over themselves to throw more of their money at Apple. This sort of makes the cranky MacRumors forum member calling for irrelevant (for supply problems, anyway) members of the Apple executive team to be fired inconsequential to a point that's so extreme it's hard to put into words.

Yea those guys are batshit and I don't think apple is losing too much sleep over this. I was just simply saying that there is more to the shipping angst people have than just "demand outstripping supply," they screwed up this launch beyond just usual supply constraints.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Before we do something that drastic I think we need to take a moment to remember the hoof hand. I would have missed that if it was in yospos and therefore I vote to keep making GBS threads the thread with mac rumor posts lest I miss something equally amazing.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I mean, if you got sleeve tattoos you have already made a life decision that you knew would prohibit you from doing certain things. This would be an issue if Apple had a strict return policy, but seeing as you have 14 days to figure out that your tattoos are cockblocking your new toy from working properly, just return it.

Still it is funny that it doesn't work on sleeves since a poo poo ton of apple store employees have sleeves and plugs.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
As a lefty who has always worn a watch on my left wrist, am I dumb to wear a smart watch on my left? I'm retarded when it comes to right hand coordination, but I don't think I'm THAT retarded where using my right hand for controlling the watch with my right hand is going to hinder anything other than drawing dicks to people.
For reference I use a mouse with my right hand.

EpicNemesis fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 7, 2015

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

drat, this thread got bad quick.

you don't get it, everyone is wrong because he read a thing online. He is a character in Catch 22

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Apple pocket watch

This is going to be the next hipster thing.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I want to sell those people cloud insurance*.

*Not digital clouds.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I want to get a stand for mine when I get it but I feel like they should be max 20 bucks since I'm assuming they don't come with their own charging cable.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

eltoozero posted:

Just painful to put on really: putting the sport band on once is worse than four days of link bracelet.

I'm using the snap then slide method of attaching the sport band, for snug fit, natch.

I think I pulled 5 links out to get a good fit, and frankly popping the fit links temporarily makes changing the band a breeze, otherwise sliding the lug out feels like it needs lube.

You just need to spend more time warming the watch up. You can't rush things, if you take your time you will both enjoy it more.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I'm curious as to how much of a hit battery life is going to take. On one hand I'm sure they are optimizing the OS to be more efficient, on the other hand I don't think the efficiencies gained can keep up with the extra battery drain that comes from 3rd party apps and longer watch interactions (email and multi colored doodles)

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Our most personal device ever. SomeTIMEs.

My god how pathetic is your life that you can spend all day in a thread about a device you have no interest in only to threadshit. Did your wife leave you for an Apple Watch?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Athletic Footjob posted:

rear end Catchcum was raped by the dog whose owner bought it two Watch Editions.

It wouldn't have been rape if it was a Gen 2 watch.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Went to red river gorge on Friday and cracked the watch face when climbing. That was dumb. :(

Goondolences.

Sapphire or Ion?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Geek blue balls.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm not really sure what the purpose of the "live" wallpapers on the Watch when you can't add any additional information to them. I'd love to have a photo of my dog on my wrist but I still would like to have some indication of what my activity level for the day is.

Sometimes I feel like Apple begrudgingly capitulates to popular demand, and intentionally neuters those features as a final gently caress you.

Yes I know this is not the case. Just sometimes their decisions are confusing.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Props to you if it takes you 30 minutes.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
What just happened?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Guys it's Hermes, their handbags can get up to six figures. That watch is a cheap entry into the brand and will probably move a lot of units.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I'm surprised that the watch hosed up so badly on daylight savings. When I travel across time zones west it handles it like a champ and I think even gave me 2 standing points for the same 1 hour window. One would imagine it would treat daylight savings the same way.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

I happen to like the way it looks :shrug:

:page84snypa:

Hey man, haters gonna hate. Is the cuff removable?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
As a rule I don't pay more than 20 bucks for a case or a dock for my gadgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
The only apps I use are Disneyland wait time apps and a golf gps app. Other than that it is a notification device and timepiece. I wear it over my breilting because that loving thing dies way too often and I hate winding it and setting the time whenever I want to wear it.

So no ragrets here. If you are using it to read emails and stuff you are going to have a bad day.

• Locked thread