Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Logikv9 posted:

$1299 is too much for something that is a ipad with a trackpad and keyboard.

Especially when the Air is more powerful and has more ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
LOL at people laughing in the background at the absurdity of the drawing a cat thing.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

MrBond posted:

The air screen isn't IPS or retina though.

I understand that other people have other needs but IMO a macbook should be more focused on processing power and useability (ports). The new MacBook is more like what the Air was when it was first announced rather than the middle child between an Air and a Pro.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

Super model completes first half-marathon in impoverished Africa with Apple Watch.

Look out africans, white lady with a watch that costs more than all your possessions combined coming through.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Talk about the drat watch instead of some lady running. People run marathons every day.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Logikv9 posted:

My pebble does all this stuff but it's only $99 so this means I'm poo poo and my watch is poo poo.

Can you have a phone conversation like Dick Tracey??

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dude just triggered my phone's "Hey Siri" :argh:

Trigger warning.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I am legitimately going to pay $400 to get an animated Mickey on my wrist.

edit: 30 minutes of battery life I bet.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Now you never have to talk to anyone at the hotel.

Edit: It's time to talk about battery life and price dudes.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Nerdy watch dude is the most competent presentation of the day so far.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Bet the large version has better battery life too.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
AHAHAHAHAHAHA A THOUSAND DOLL HAIRS

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
You have to literally be making GBS threads me ten thousand dollars.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

The Devil Tesla posted:

I was waiting for this. Of course it's 10k it's solid gold.

Solid gold is extremely malleable, drat thing is going to melt from the heat of the processor.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

The Dave posted:

What Apple has done is produce a new patented alloy that contains less gold per volume while retaining the same 3:1 ratio and 18K classification. The other material isn't one of the standard metals used in alloys; it's ceramic, which is less dense. Dr. Drang on Leancrew explains this in more detail (emphasis ours):

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-special-gold-ceramic-alloy-2015-3#ixzz3Tun4fvMe

So it's not real gold...got it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

The Devil Tesla posted:

lol if you were going to buy a watch, at any price point.

Gonna get the Cheap 42mm one dude. The TomTom GPS watch with heart rate monitoring is about the same price.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

kimcicle posted:

TomTom GPS watch w/ the heart rate monitoring doesn't require to be paired with an iPhone to work.

True. Could also just get a Pebble Time to do all of this same stuff for $200.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
10K for a watch that is going to be obsolete next year is total overkill...

Actually, $400 for a watch that is going to be obsolete next year is a bad deal too.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Pindakaas posted:

drat I was hoping for iPad pro news.

They did...its call the new MacBook. It has a 1.1Ghz Core M, a keyboard, and one single port.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
You're paying for the ancient and righteous simple chainmail band.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
From the apple watch store page...

"**Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant. "

IPX7 - Withstands incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes.

You would think for a watch that has no need to ever be opened and has wireless charging they would waterproof it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Paul Allen posted:

So something I'd love to see is a breakdown of the Apple Watch vs other smart watches out there. I know there's been some Pebble love here already but the Pebble doesn't have a color screen, correct? And how does the Retina screen on the AW compare to other smart watches? The same? Worse? Better?

I just don't know enough about smart watches to know this kind of stuff. I could find it all on Google but then it wouldn't have that tasty, tasty goon flair I love so much.

The Pebble Time will have a color screen and a new OS.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

gypsyshred posted:

Ok, here's my plan, tell me if this will work out. I buy the Sport, and tolerate the ugly rear end plastic band until a nice third party product comes out. The Sports body shouldn't feel too cheap, no?

Actually the majority of the backside of the Apple Watch is that giant black Heart Rate Monitor thingy, I doubt the feel of the aluminum will matter that much.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Was talking with the Apple guy in the store the other day and he reiterated the fact that the Apple Watch Edition is only going to be sold in "high profile" stores or whatever. I still think a 10-17k smartwatch is dumb and it matches up with their decision to change the MacBook into an utraportable while leaving the Air alone.

Probably going to get flamed for this but I'm not quite sure of the direction Tim Cook is taking apple in. I don't see the Apple Watch trying competing with a ten thousand dollar pure gold mechanical timepiece because the kinds of people who put that money down do it for vanity or as an investment. A ten thousand dollar apple watch is still the same bits and pieces as the $350 sport wrapped in a bit of gold and everyone knows that. A rolex or whatever has internals and features that puts it above a $12 casio quartz. Apple trying to insert themselves in the high end watch market isn't really their business model and it shows in how they presented the device in the first place.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dietrich posted:

But here's the thing: status symbols actually have to confer some sort of advantage to not be seen as frivolous. No one questions why a millionaire might want to own a top of the line Mercedes instead of a ford focus, because the Mercedes is demonstrably a better car.

But the top of the line Edition Watch is exactly the same as the standard Watch, except heavier and colored with gold. It won't be better at being an apple Watch than the standard Watch. The Watch actually does have an advantage over the Sport in that it has the Sapphire Crystal face, but beyond that step in cost, you're literally pissing money away to show how much you have.

Agreed, The original iPhone took the smartphone market by storm because it was one of the first full touchscreen smartphones (and most certainly the first touchscreen smartphone aimed at the consumer market). Windows CE had been hacked together to make phonecalls and blackberries were still keyboard and roller-nub navigation. The iPhone was expensive but it filled a very specific market niche that no one was serving.

An "Edition" apple watch is still a base model apple watch with a fresh coat of paint. I don't even need to steal a car analogy because I straight up say that no one would spend 2900% more on a gold iPad vs a space grey or silver iPad.

Edit: the New MacBook is a neat machine and I can see the benefits of having it as an ultraportable.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

shadow puppet of a posted:

Don't ever go to Harrods, you'll have your tiny utilitarian world shattered.

I wish I lived in a world where I could spend an extra ten thousand dollars on something because it was prettier. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

ZShakespeare posted:

Fwiw I agree that in vehicle computers are terrible and need to be fixed, but I still don't think car analogies apply to watches. A computer and interface is only part of a car. CarPlay will work with existing automobiles, and may see some deeper integration with future ones, but ultimately the automobile experience is in the chassis and drivetrain. With a watch, the computer is the entire experience.

I can't wait to see the first Apple Store with an attached garage where a minimum wage teenaged kid rips out your old head unit and replaces it with a shiny new CarPlay. It'll be the mid-nineties Best Buy experience all over again.

• Locked thread