Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm really expecting for both higher models to be upgradable. I'd say the sport model will get left out in the cold. I'm also hoping the mid-range model will be 500-600 and not 750-1000 as I have read. I really have my heart set on it but cant imagine paying that much for it.

Upgradable in what sense? I really don't expect Apple to handcuff themselves to first generation hardware for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

lelandjs posted:

Though exclusive to Apple devices doesn't mean that the HBO Now app won't support chrome cast right?

Sounds like it's literally only on Apple TV.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Gold one's kinda ugly but god drat that thing is sweet.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Nice. Always kinda bugged me how the keys look a little wobbly when looking at it straight on.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Interesting. I don't like the inconsistency of clicks on my Air, so I'll be looking forward to trying this as well.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Looks like the Apple logo is metallic and doesn't light up anymore.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Ooh Space Gray :swoon:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

lelandjs posted:

I think Apple's idea is that you leave it in a safe place charging overnight and don't have to charge it during the day.

Yeah they're laying that on pretty thick.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Rabble posted:

I understand that other people have other needs but IMO a macbook should be more focused on processing power and useability (ports). The new MacBook is more like what the Air was when it was first announced rather than the middle child between an Air and a Pro.

I'm probably going to sell my iPad mini and MacBook Air and buy a MacBook. iOS devices still really suck for my ADD style of tabbed internet browsing.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Apple Watch with Chewyhams

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Gold stuff is expensive *shrugs*

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I think the gold watch is Apple's attempt to reestablish a sense of exclusivity with their products. When it first came out, it wasn't unreasonable to see the iPhone as a status symbol. Now everyone has an iPhone or iPad. It (and basically all their mainstream products) have reached the point of being commoditized. Cellphones are one of those weird consumer areas where the best product isn't necessarily the most expensive one (taking those ridiculous diamond studded phones into account). This is Apple trying to create something where someone can wear something, and whoever sees them can think, "holy poo poo that person is loving rich". Really nice mechanical watches don't have that same widespread consumer recognition (i.e. you can't see one at a glance and know how expensive it is).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

People will keep buying Macbooks Air actually, until the 2nd or 3rd generation of Macbook "Just Macbook" Edition gets battery life, speed, and keyboard quality back up to Air levels.

Agreed. I'm very excited for my third-gen MacBook, personally.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Dietrich posted:

But here's the thing: status symbols actually have to confer some sort of advantage to not be seen as frivolous. No one questions why a millionaire might want to own a top of the line Mercedes instead of a ford focus, because the Mercedes is demonstrably a better car.

But the top of the line Edition Watch is exactly the same as the standard Watch, except heavier and colored with gold. It won't be better at being an apple Watch than the standard Watch. The Watch actually does have an advantage over the Sport in that it has the Sapphire Crystal face, but beyond that step in cost, you're literally pissing money away to show how much you have.

I think you're really overstating how much the truly rich care about that sort of thing. The aforementioned Vertu phones at one point were jewel-encrusted Nokia dumbphones. They're still pieces of poo poo today. Status symbols really don't need that added utility once you get to a certain point (and I believe the Apple Watch Edition to be at that point).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Is the average person really going to know that the gold watch is the same internally as the aluminum one, though?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

One day the form factor of the Macbook will have MBP-level performance and it will loving own

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Haggins posted:

If you buy a Sport, can you use any other Apple band on it? I kinda want the stainless 42 but I really don't want to spend $600, especially considering I'll probably want to upgrade when v2 comes out.

I think you can use any band with any watch, but employees at the store will try and guide your band choices based on the model of your watch, based on what Apple has deemed aesthetically appropriate for each model.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

smackfu posted:

I think it's just that aluminium and steel won't quite match.

I didn't mean "what Apple has deemed aesthetically appealing" to be snark. I think it's good of them to guide people toward purchases that won't make them look like an idiot.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Call me crazy but I think the Space Gray aluminum just flat out looks best. Something about shiny stainless steel looks off to me.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

gret posted:

So the Watch seems super complicated to use.

http://help.apple.com/watch/

Wasn't too bad from playing with it at the Apple Store. Just had to get used to which button takes you to your favorite contacts.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

FYI, you can now buy these in-store.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Zwille posted:

This guy just released a report on using the watch while swimming, I just skimmed it but the main issue seems to be that water rushing past the screen can activate swipes, and that you can't use the screen underwater. I thought that was interesting. It seems the issue isn't how waterproof it is but rather how the screen reacts to water like it's somebody touching the screen.

Capacitive touchscreens not working with water is nothing new. Try dropping a few droplets of water on an iPhone screen and touching the icon directly behind it. The phone won't know what to do.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Ohh sorry I misread. Yeah that is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Interestingly, Apple has nixed basically all of their high-end Edition watches (you can't find them on the website). All that's left is the new Series 2 Edition in white ceramic (which looks quite nice). I think it's a good refocus; luxury watches and technology just don't merge well.

• Locked thread