Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah Gruber's price predictions are pretty outlandish, but I cant' dismiss it because it's almost certainly informed by inside sources at Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

lelandjs posted:

WHAT

That is way, way, way cheaper than I was expecting.

Yeah that's a good price.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Logikv9 posted:

If you're buying a >$349 dollar smartwatch you better be using it for something other than time.

People pay as much if not more than that for a regular watch that just tells time. And not even fancy Swiss watches with automatic movements but plain old quartz watches.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Super Dude posted:

Watches can last decades, so the price comparison doesn't mean much.

So will the Apple Watch, especially if you're happy with just using it to tell time. Remember, quartz watches also need periodic battery replacements.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Frankly I'd be afraid to wear an Apple Watch around certain parts of the city I live in.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Endless Mike posted:

It means if it gets rained on, it'll live. You probably should take it off for anything involving soap or solvents, though apparently Tim Cook says he takes his in the shower, so who knows. I wouldn't swim with it, but technically it should be okay.

Tim probably gets a new iWatch to wear everyday after he showers with it and damages it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

badjohny posted:

This is what has really killed it for me too. I would have bought one day one, but not if I have to spend 450 on a watch band. hopefully 3rd party ones come out and are cheaper.

Presumably the watch band will be compatible with future watch versions so when you upgrade your watch you can buy the cheapest version and use the same band from the current watch.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dietrich posted:

449 dollars for a loving stainless steel bracelet.

Seems in line with the prices of stainless steel replacement bracelets for luxury watches.

RVProfootballer posted:

Why do you presume this?

I assume since they invented this whole new mechanism for attaching bracelets that they don't intend to change it after one year.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dietrich posted:

Uh huh, and how many $500 luxury watches come with plastic bands?

How about a $1700 one? (and let's not debate whether Tags count as "luxury")

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wa...5A&searchidx=12

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

ShoogaSlim posted:

I stand corrected. Allow me to rephrase: I'm surprised that you can't just pick which model watch you want and then choose a band to go with it, all in a customized ordering experience like you would swap components of a Mac or choose a color and carrier for iPhone. Instead they specifically state that the Watch is available in 20 models, the Sport in 10, and the Edition in 8.

quote:

In one of our conversations, Ive was scathing about a rival’s product, after asking me not to name it: “Their value proposition was ‘Make it whatever you want. You can choose whatever color you want.’ And I believe that’s abdicating your responsibility as a designer.”

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

ColonelKlink posted:

It's neat and all, but I have the same issue with many gadget purchases; what about when the battery no longer holds a charge? That will happen and relatively soon for the device. At least with your iPhone it has a planned obsolescence, you 'upgrade' to the newer model which is subsidized by your carrier. Also, laptops and tablets you can tether it to an electrical outlet, but for a strictly mobile device like this it becomes an expensive paperweight.

Granted, your fancy mechanical watch will need servicing or your quartz watch will need a new, cheap battery, but when will people admit this is a disposable item? An expensive $10,000 special gold disposable watch?

Edit: NM, The battery is replaceable

Oh when will the world care about those poor millionaires that spend $10k on a disposable item... :qq:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

illcendiary posted:

One day the form factor of the Macbook will have MBP-level performance and it will loving own

And Microsoft Office will still be laggy on it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I own one and have smaller wrists and it is not big at all

Depends on your wrist size. The 360 is wider than the top plane of my wrist.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Super Dude posted:

Not really. My biggest complaint about Apple stores are that the employees won't leave me alone. I understand a few of them asking if I need help with something, but it's usually every few minutes, usually the same couple of people.

I have the opposite experience at Apple stores. All the blue shirts are always busy helping customers that it was almost impossible to find somebody to check me out. The new Apple Store app to self pay for purchases was a great feature to help alleviate that problem.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Joanna Stern is the best. Watch that video!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

gohmak posted:

For you lefties, do you plan to have the crown facing your hand or elbow? He kept switching in the video.

Facing the hand seems to be the most convenient.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Could you two awful posters take it to PMs or something?

They could send their heartbeats to each other after they get their Apple Watches.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

MarcusSA posted:

A guy I work with ordered his sport black watch at 12:02 as soon as the app started working and got the April 24th date.

I ordered my sport black at 12:04 and got a May 13th date.

The Sport Space Gray with the black band is pretty much the aspie nerd default order so no surprise there.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

gohmak posted:

I'm actually really pissed off at the way Apple is handling this launch. Didn't someone tell Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts that half the reason Apple is successful is due to diehard fans desire to be the first to have it? What was the point of staying up till 3am :f5: ?

Dunno how it's her fault that Apple literally can't manufacture enough watches to handle even just the demand of internet preorders.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

gohmak posted:

Have the loving preorders start back in september for the April 24th launch?

How would that make anything better?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Kenderama posted:

For what it is worth, I just got a notice from my bank that my charge to the Apple Store for my watch was just processed. That should mean it will be shipping very soon.

My order status just changed from "processing" to "preparing for shipment."

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Has any Apple Watch (not Sport) been confirmed for April at all? Seems like almost all the steel ones are delayed. I think everything so far has been sport varieties.

Yes.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So the Watch seems super complicated to use.

http://help.apple.com/watch/

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Anyone think the taptic notifications are too light and too easy to miss? I have it set to the highest setting yet I'm missing notifications left and right.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Her wrist is perfectly sized for a Moto 360.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

shodanjr_gr posted:

How loud would you guys describe the speaker on your watches? Mine feels quite anemic and I'm trying to determine if I got a dud or if that's by design...

I haven't tried taking any phone calls or playing music through it, but for notifications the speaker is perfectly adequate.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Agreed. The screwup, if any, was in forecasting and manufacturing which seriously constrained the supply of watches on launch day. I don't think Ahrendts had any choice but do what she did and limit sales to online pre-orders.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dirk Pitt posted:

Anyone order a 38 mm watch? Regrets on not getting the big version?

No regrets. It's perfectly sized for my dainty wrist and the battery life is great so far.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So I am having an issue where certain events on my calendar are not showing up on the watch. These events are in my work's Outlook calendar and they were invites from people outside of my company for meetings that I've accepted. Those events show up on the Calendar app on the iPhone yet they're not showing up on my calendar on my watch. Meanwhile, other events in the Outlook calendar, including invites to meetings from co-workers, do show up on the watch. I've set the watch to mirror my iPhone under the Calendar settings of the Apple Watch app. Does anyone have any ideas regarding why those events would not show up on my watch?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dirk Pitt posted:

It is nice actually, I think the crown actually makes sense as the lower interaction button. The setup was a breeze, I was prompted when pairing the watch how I wanted to wear it. It makes way more sense to me than the right handed version for righties.

Agreed. I still think it looks a big weird on the bottom but from a usability standpoint I think it works better than having it on the top.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The main issue with the Apple Watch is the girth, which is quite a bit thicker than most regular watches. The size of the face isn't really that big of a deal compared to most fashion watches these days.

I don't believe that's really true. It's obviously thicker than the really thin watches like Skagens, but it seems to be in line with the thickness of most mechanical watches.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Three Olives posted:

So no activation lock on the Apple Watch? WTF?

Not sure h they can implement that without cellular radios on the watch.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

io_burn posted:

Wait, are you saying you think there's more Apple Watches in the wild than there are luxury watches?

http://www.statisticbrain.com/wrist-watch-industry-statistics/

A plausible argument is that your average mugger isn't going to be able to tell the difference between a luxury watch and a knockoff/cheap watch while it's pretty easy to tell whether somebody has an Apple Watch on their wrist.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah the data is incomplete at best (U.S.-only internet sales of people who opt-in to their tracking service) and does not account for the watch finally being available for purchase at retail Apple Stores in June nor does it track international sales, among other factors.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

MrBond posted:

The guy that writes the term paper length screeds is just amazing. It's so long that I think he genuinely believes all of it. I can't imagine a troll being that dedicated.

The guy that said the apple watch was useless because it didn't have a thunderbolt port? I seriously couldn't tell if he was trolling or deranged.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think you should be fine since there aren't country-specific models of the watch.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Just a reminder to all those people saying stuff like "oh, I don't use it as much but it's definitely useful to have, I use the timer function on it a lot" that you spent $600+ on this thing.

And a nice mechanical watch that just tells the time costs more than that?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

ShoogaSlim posted:

Downloading the update now with :lol: About 3 hours remaining :lol:

6 hours for me.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The newest Dark Sky is just crashing on launch for me. Supposedly some people are experiencing this for all 3rd party native applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

There's absolutely no reason for a smartwatch to be round. I could see Apple eventually launching a whole range of Apple Watches in a variety of shapes and sizes though.

• Locked thread