Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Interested to see if you have to buy a new model every year or if you can just upgrade the S1 to an S2, especially for the Edition watches. I'm leaning towards the "if you're going to pay $10k for this, you're probably not the kind of person who would mind doing it again" opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

MarcusSA posted:

It's a magnet charger.

Also if the watch had sleep tracking I'd like to wear it at night.

Anything bigger than a displayless fitness band is probably not going to be comfortable to sleep in. If you want a smart watch and not a fitness band, just get one of these for sleep tracking.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Big info dump over on 9to5mac

Best news is 5 hour "heavy app usage".

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

I said come in! posted:

That pay with your phone or watch feature is stupid and only exists in San Francisco.

i pay with my phone at like half the places i go, including the Valero gas station near my house. It's not a rare thing.

EDIT: in Texas

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

tropical posted:

I was wondering the same thing but I stumbled upon this (1x hdmi, 1x usb 3.1, 1x usb-c): http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Oh wow. That's basically all I need at work. It'd be nice to only plug in one thing when I get to my desk.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

kitten smoothie posted:

You could upgrade the CPU and storage but you'd still have EDGE networking, no gyro sensor, no compass, garbage camera & no front one, a thicker case, etc. Would you really want to use an iPhone 1 with iPhone 4S CPU/memory/storage, but iPhone 1 everything else?

The S1 contains the motion sensors and wifi/networking chip though. You could add more (non-external facing) sensors, gps, 802.11ac, LTE chips by popping in a hypothetical S2. A better analogy is replacing the entire motherboard in the iPhone 1.

Battery technology does not improve much year over year. Most improvements on battery life are done by optimizing power users to use less. Shouldn't need an upgrade, especially since we can assume Watch 2 is going to be slimmer with a smaller battery.

The screen and the heartrate/charging stuff on the bottom are the only things left I think. Wouldn't want to be stuck with an iPhone 1 screen. I imagine the next watch will have O2 or glucose sensors or something cool so being stuck with just HR would be a bummer.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
if you want a nice smart watch but don't care about fashion, buy the sport

if you want a nice smart watch and like fashion and fancy looking things, buy the regular.

the fact that fashion/jewelry pricing had zero basis on actual worth of the time/materials in the product is not news.

if you don't like apple and are going to poo poo on anything apple related, why the gently caress are you in this thread?

this thread sucks.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Basically you just lose GPS. I'm not a runner, but that doesn't seem like a big loss unless you like maps of your run. Is it also used for pace tracking or something more useful that I'm unaware of?

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

smackfu posted:

Yeah, the key is accurate pace and distance. A 5% error is fine for someone counting 10k steps, but not good enough when it turns a 7 minute pace into a 7:20 pace and adds a minute to your 5k time.

Got it. Maybe Apple is confident in their M8 (or whatever version of it is in the watch) chip? More likely it'll be less accurate than gps though. Will be interesting to see the reviews.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

milkaxor posted:

There you go. It has to learn.

That's interesting. I wonder how you can tell when it's ready for you to leave your phone at home.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

smackfu posted:

This whole appointment thing seems like such a pain. I'd just like to try the drat thing on and see if I like it and if I do, which size I would want. The same kind of thing I do with the various other Apple products in the store.

I'm just not sure what else they could do without having a bunch of watches (main unit or bands) being stolen from the stores everyday. Easy to have a security tether on an iPhone or iPad. Not so easy when you have to have one for the main unit and another two for each side of the bands. Where would you even attach the thing on the unit without covering the screen or making it awkward to try on?

There's really not a good answer so they picked the classic watch buying experience with appointments required so it's not a mob. But agreed, it is a pain.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

MrBond posted:

There's also the question of timing. Asking for something that was just shown at CES to be manufactured at apple-scale in April is…probably impossible.

edit: even if you were talking about poo poo from CES 2014, considering the level of vaporware for the really neat stuff it's probably the same problem.

I agree, more of an issue of scalability than margins. If margins were the only issue, every other company who doesn't care as much about margins (Amazon, Google) would be producing vastly better products at the same prices. (They aren't. Latest Android phones are roughly even with iPhones in terms of performance/capabilities. Please don't turn this into an iPhone vs Android debate).

Most recently this bit them in rear end on sapphire screens. Couldn't get enough to make iPhone screens, tried to scale up by pumping money into a small producer, still couldn't make it happen. Organic batteries aren't going to go from 1 tech demo to 100mil a year very soon.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Angela Ahrendts posted:

The Apple Store app and our online store make it much easier to purchase Apple Watch and the new MacBook. ... This is a significant change in mindset, and we need your help to make it happen. Tell your customers we have more availability online, and show them how easy it is to order. You'll make their day.
http://www.businessinsider.com/angela-ahrendts-says-a-significant-change-in-mindset-to-launching-apple-watch-online-2015-4

I'm really surprised Apple would tell customers to leave and use the online store instead. They've been saying the retail store is the best experience for buying their products for years, even when it's had hours long waits on product launches. They've offered pre-orders, but only when they were essentially forced after insane lines for the 3G and 3GS. They clearly wanted everyone possible to use the store.

Are they just facing reality that an uncrowded retail store may be better than the online experience, but they don't have uncrowded stores?

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Just got Apple Watch with the black sports band on the Apple Store app. Being logged in and Apple Pay made that fast as hell.

Edit: Somehow still have a shipping estimate of 4/24 - 5/8.

Karki fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 10, 2015

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Surprising number of shipping dates already slipping, including the one I got. Glad I woke up.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't know why I still read Gizmodo.

Is there a tech blog without the bias (that also doesn't flip the other direction like Macrumors)?

Ars Technica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

noirstronaut posted:

Getting my Apple Watch sometime this week. What kinda fuckery can I do. Give me lists but not links to tech websites b/c gently caress em

Remember that actually opening an app through the app screen is last resort. Use regular notifications, complications, and glances as much as possible. 3rd party apps especially are near unusable, but that may change when we get OS 2.

• Locked thread