Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do any reviews mention how well using the watch as a camera remote works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is watchOS 2 going to have a public beta like iOS 9 and El Capitan?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I've had mine since a week after release and it looks great even after bumping it against rocks a few times while hiking.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm probably going to get an Apple Watch in the next few weeks. I'm looking at the Apple selection of bands and they're all pretty lovely, so my plan is to just get the Apple Watch (not Sport) and the cheapest 42mm and swap the band, but I don't know where to get some quality 3rd party bands. Anyone have some recommendations?

This is an option then you can use any band with it: http://www.amazon.com/LUVVITT%AE-St...ch+band+adapter

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I bought one but found it way too small and returned it. The 42mm is a great medium size.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I've found the 42 to have about another 60-90 min more of battery on average.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Have any of you Watch-havers had any trouble with the new always-on "Hey Siri" feature? Whenever I raise my watch and say "hey Siri" it activates on both my watch *and* my phone - and then I get a response (usually the same response) from both.

Same here. There's pretty much no reason to turn on Hey Siri if you have a watch too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's exactly the only difference. The sport still looks pretty nice imo but I'm not a fan of chrome.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there any good weightlifting apps? I'd just like something that lets me quickly peek at my routine. A rest timer and the ability to record reps/weight would be cool too.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 9, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bobfather posted:

Strong is the best.

I do like that one but it doesn't seem to have an Apple Watch app.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Consummate Professional posted:

Is there a public beta for the watch OS?

Nope. Apple doesn't do them for watch OS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Why would you want to roll back from ios 9? 10 is pretty great.

Is the beta stable now?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Where can you get the watchOS 3 beta?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there a reason why my Apple Watch never fills up the exercise ring when I select outdoor walk? I walked for 90 minutes and the ring didn't budge at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Am I weird for wanting them to come out with a larger model for large manly wrists?

No cause the 42 is pretty normal sized. My big friends look silly even with that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tide posted:

So, if one were to be in the market for the apple watch: for the next couple or three years, is the new series 2 or whatever they are calling it worth the premium over the current version if you have no need for the gps or waterproofing?

I don't think the series 2 is worth it at all unless you swim a lot or want to track runs without the phone.

They've also upgraded the series 1 Apple Watch so it's still better than the original with a faster processor.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I live in the hot rear end Central Valley, CA and I've never had trouble reading the display on the lowest brightness setting and with sunglasses on. The 42mm with sport band is also the most comfortable watch I've ever worn.

I really think the series 1 or discounted first run Apple Watches are a much better value. I probably won't update mine until they introduce more health sensors.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can anyone tell me the build number for the watchOS 3 GM?

EDIT: Thanks!

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 8, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The stainless steel one is heavier and has more durable screen glass otherwise it's all cosmetic.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

anything accessory wise I should be looking for?

I find this dock to be extremely handy. It's much easier to plug in at night with it, seems better for scratches than putting my watch on a table and it supports the nightstand mode: https://www.amazon.com/Orzly%AE-Com...pple+watch+dock

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Is it possible to get the watchOS3GM without a paid developer account? I just installed iOS10 GM via the public beta program, but I'm curious how to get the watchOS.

It isn't public for some reason. Installing the watchOS beta profile will get you it though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rorus Raz posted:

I feel like I'll be happy with the Series 1 for a year, and then I can upgrade to 2017 model which will probably have some features worth the extra hundred.

Same. I want more health sensors or the ability to somehow make calls from it when my phone isn't nearby before I upgrade.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jimong5 posted:

Is the original still decent or is the dual core pretty much needed for any serious user? I'm debating a new one but the fire sales on the old one could be pretty tempting

It can take a while to open things sometimes but it's fine. I need to see some comparison videos to see if the duel core is really worth it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Leif. posted:

How do I get watchOS3? I only just got the watch recently, so I don't know how updates and poo poo work.

-e- Oh I see it's not actually out yet.

You can get the GM now if you install the beta profile which is pretty easy to find on Google. It comes out officially in 2 days if you don't want to bother with that though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fritzov posted:

Is there any advantage of getting the Nike+ edition if going to use the apple watch to track biking and swimming and not Running?

I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same as other Apple Watches except for the band and exclusive faces it has.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How do I turn breathe off? I'm not Bruce banner

Look in settings on the Watch app on your phone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rorus Raz posted:

How does the alarm work? Is it haptics or will it make a noise? If I silence my phone, can I just get haptics?

The watch has its own silent mode and will just do haptic if that's on.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I would have considered updating if watchOS 3 didn't speed up my old watch so much.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

beergod posted:

When are the S2's supposed to be available if you didn't preorder? I'm actually surprised they aren't available to purchase now, which is probably stupid of me.

Apple Stores get stock every day so if you live nearby one its worth checking in daily.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The rose gold aluminum one looks really nice but I have to stick with black for everything since I'm boring.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SaturdayKnight posted:

Is there anything special about enabling the unlock with your watch feature? Because it's turned on and all it seems to do is make it take a few seconds longer for my computer to ask for my password. It has yet to actually unlock with my watch...

I believe you need 2 step authentication to be enabled on your account as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can anyone explain how to correctly backup fitness data when getting a new watch? I thought I had it but lost a day when getting my new phone which was annoying

You either have to do it either through iCloud or through an encrypted backup on iTunes or it won't back up health data.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm talking about your iPhone backup since Apple Watch backups are tied to that.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 20, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

milkaxor posted:

Getting a series 2 aluminum delivered on Thursday. Recommendations on selling the original SS watch? I don't want to deal with eBay, if I don't have to.

Sell it on Craigslist or here on SA Mart if you want fair value for it without too many fees.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is it normal for the exercise ring to increase even without a workout active? I'm still confused by what increases it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LPG Giant posted:

Is it me or do the message response snippets on the watch really suck? If someone ends a sentence in a questionmark, the first options should be yes and no. But it often just gives me random poo poo. Even more bizarrely, I once had it give me these options: yes, maybe, sure, ... They didn't even offer no! And the weird part is that the suggestions in iMessage on the iPhone are spot on, just on the watch they suck. Does it get better over time? I've only had it a couple of days.

They do indeed suck and were actually better in watchOS 2. They worked more like you described there.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dark Sky is a really cool app but the weather is always off for my location. Yesterday it said it was 5 degrees hotter than what my outdoor thermometer and the stock weather app was reporting.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kailtor posted:

S0: original watch
S1: new watch, new processor
S2: new watch, new processor, waterproof to 50m, gps

S2 also has a brighter screen.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The alarm still makes noise in silent mode if the watch is on it's charger in nightstand mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How's the black stainless compare to black aluminum? I like chrome but I always end up scratching every chrome thing within a 3 meter radius of me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Feenix posted:

[Ed3] please tell me there's a way I can remove things like Stocks or weather app (stock)...

You can delete those on iOS 10 now so maybe deleting them on the phone will delete them on watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rick Sanchez posted:

Thanks for the responses

I guess my real question is: does the battery life of the 2 make it a better choice overall than the 1? Or should I just go with the 1 since the processor is the same?

I don't swim a ton or really need the GPS for fitness tracking as I just use stationary stuff to work out, so which is a better option for me?

Go for a 1 or consider an original since those are cheap as hell now and I think they're good enough on watchOS 3 for the price.

• Locked thread