Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think everyone assumed something was up with my brain because I got so many tests but all they ever said was my responses to questions were "unusual"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

root beer posted:

Does having a diagnosis open you to discrimination or other hurdles of any kind?
yes. and it was worse 30 years ago, which was when i mentioned this happened. remember the ADA didn't even exist until 1990 so discrimination being common and LEGAL was only a few years in the past at that time. even now discrimination is legal unless you can prove in court that it isn't

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Mar 17, 2024

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

CelticPredator posted:

yeah well don't say you got something until you have it.
Getting a "Certified On the Spectrum" certificate is basically pointless for me as an adult who has learned to manage it, and in my state may actually disqualify me from driving unless I pay even more money to have a doctor certify me Safe to Drive (despite me having driven safely for 20 years) because they are fascists

(I have never asked for accommodations and don't use it as an excuse, but it can be an explanation for stuff)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

InediblePenguin posted:

when i was a teen in the 90s doctor told me I have Asperger's but didn't want to record it in my chart because having a documented issue can cause more problems than it solves if you don't require accommodations, which at the time i did not seem to. am i diagnosed or not? a doctor said so but it's not official, so where do i stand on the diagnosis purity test

I think you can say you are officially diagnosed but it's one of those things where it's not really relevant to any situation 99% of the time since you don't need accomodations. It's like me having a liberal arts bachelors degree. It's a pointless piece of paper in the basement somewhere.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Any place that sells shoes should have to sell shoe laces. I went to three different shoe stores before I found one.

Edit: to be fair, one was a sporting goods store that did have laces for hockey skates, but they were 96" and way too long.

deoju has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Mar 17, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

deoju posted:

Any place that sells shoes should have to sell shoe laces. I went to three different shoe stores before I found one.

Edit: to be fair, one was a sporting goods store that did have laces for hockey skates, but they were 96" and way too long.

I've not run into this problem myself but I would 100% assume if a place sells shoes they also would sell laces.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

I've not run into this problem myself but I would 100% assume if a place sells shoes they also would sell laces.
I would as well, since every shoe store I've ever been in (except maybe PayLess) has sold laces.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I think you can say you are officially diagnosed but it's one of those things where it's not really relevant to any situation 99% of the time since you don't need accomodations. It's like me having a liberal arts bachelors degree. It's a pointless piece of paper in the basement somewhere.

actually it's nothing like that and it does impact my life and make my life significantly different than a neurotypical person's in ways that are absolutely nothing like the difference between your life as a bachelor's-having person and the life of an umaccredited human

"didn't need accommodations at 12" isn't the same as "completely unimprtant, impactless and meaningless." autistic burnout happens with people who "don't need accommodations" for instance.wtf

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Mar 17, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sorry, if the doctor didn't write down the magic spell, your symptoms aren't real.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dawn ultra changed scents and it stinks like perfume now.

Stop changing products.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
People who walk slowly. Not because they have a disability or anything, just people who amble down the road at 2 miles an hour. They’re not even in my way or anything, I just see them moseying along and I get so mad. Hurry the gently caress up!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Take the laces out of other shoes at the store, they're free.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Alexander Hamilton posted:

People who walk slowly. Not because they have a disability or anything, just people who amble down the road at 2 miles an hour. They’re not even in my way or anything, I just see them moseying along and I get so mad. Hurry the gently caress up!

I do get mildly irritated by people who walk slowly and meander all over the sidewalk, like I'm going to pass on the left and they move left. It's irrational, gotta remind myself that most people just aren't at the same level of situational awareness.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm historically terrible about showing up on time but I've gotten better. That said, if everyone's together and we've got a thing to do, what's the holdup? Let's go already!

There's a guy I occasionally play pool with/against or I'm just there watching when it's his turn and he's having a whole conversation on the side every loving time. He'll switch to a different conversation partner after each shot or even during his turn. Dude, other people are waiting to play besides the people that are actively playing and also waiting on your rear end, and last call is coming eventually, play or don't

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

InediblePenguin posted:

actually it's nothing like that and it does impact my life and make my life significantly different than a neurotypical person's in ways that are absolutely nothing like the difference between your life as a bachelor's-having person and the life of an umaccredited human

"didn't need accommodations at 12" isn't the same as "completely unimprtant, impactless and meaningless." autistic burnout happens with people who "don't need accommodations" for instance.wtf

I thought you meant you don't need accomodations now either. So what kind of support do you want when you get autistic burnout? More sick days maybe?

e: in any case you're probably better off in the USA not being officially diagnosed because no matter what people say they will discriminate against any perceived disabilities. Sucks but true.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Mar 17, 2024

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

e: in any case you're probably better off in the USA not being officially diagnosed because no matter what people say they will discriminate against any perceived disabilities. Sucks but true.
yes, this is my point: there are advantages to not having a paper trail pointing at your autism, so people who pretend that not having that paper trail means you don't have autism are assholes

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's supposed to be cute and charming, but the xFinity commercial kids telling others kids about "when I was your age" is really annoying. Shut up, kid; you were born when Obama was in office. What do you know about "back in the day"?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

one of the worst types of people is the guy who rolls up all "this is the first time im hearing about this, but" Like they love to do this on true crime and news topics, on science, anything. "This is the first time im hearing of this, but I'm an expert on everything so i assume these so-called professionals who have spent their lives doing this are stupid and wrong. here's my gut feeling, I'm a genius with a huge willy" hope they die

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'll never understand these Internet outages where my ISP never says a thing about a planned outage before or an accidental outage afterwards. There's just a mysterious patch where your Internet won't work, you can't do anything about it because it's not on your end, and then it works when it drat well feels like it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A bit more literal but when people post that they need to rehome their dog or cat they got, because they have to feed and take care of it. What did they think a pet needs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

bobjr posted:

A bit more literal but when people post that they need to rehome their dog or cat they got, because they have to feed and take care of it. What did they think a pet needs.

This just makes me so sad. Similarly, when I got my cat from the Humane Society, they made us call up my roommate so they could ask him the same questions about declawing etc. that they asked us. They said it was an exception; normally they won't give you a pet unless all members of the household are present for the interview, because it's an unfortunate reality that some cats get brought back to the shelter on the same day they're picked up because some roommate doesn't want them. I can't imagine how scary and confusing that must be for a cat.

Fortunately we're not like that and Wiz has been my best friend for nearly eight years.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Fortunately we're not like that and Wiz has been my best friend for nearly eight years.

Wiz looks just like my old familiar, Mugsy, who I lost last year at age 16. Right down to the white chest patch and whiskers.

Aw, I miss my M’gug B’gug :smith:

root beer has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Mar 19, 2024

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
If it's any comfort, currently my cat is my pet peeve. I mean, I love her to bits, but ever since we introduced the concept of luring her to the kitchen with a cat treat every night, she basically becomes a whiney pain in the arse after about 8pm cos she wants a Dreamie.

It sucks cos after a long day of work, kids, chores etc, I just want to chill, rather than be relentlessly harassed for 2hrs before I go to bed.

She's pretty adorable the rest of the time though, and you know I would be posting photos if using imgur through the SA app was worth a drat now.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My cat is the opposite. She'll follow me into the kitchen for a treat, then after I give it to her she will consume it and start howling for no reason.

Cats are weird. Maybe that's why we love them so much.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Why does every URL now cost like $15,000. Why does ICANN allow this.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've always hated "know what I'm saying" and "not gonna lie." Both of these seem to have by now just been interjections one just says without thinking about what they mean, but both of these took a long time for me to not get hung up on.

"I'm just doing some laundry, know what I'm saying?" It sounds like you're doing laundry! But now I can't help but wonder if there's a hidden message.

"I'm just doing some laundry, not gonna lie." It sounds like a reasonable thing to do, why would I assume you're lying? But now I wonder if you are lying.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7sfeyd7j-8

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

credburn posted:

I've always hated "know what I'm saying" and "not gonna lie." Both of these seem to have by now just been interjections one just says without thinking about what they mean, but both of these took a long time for me to not get hung up on.

"I'm just doing some laundry, know what I'm saying?" It sounds like you're doing laundry! But now I can't help but wonder if there's a hidden message.

"I'm just doing some laundry, not gonna lie." It sounds like a reasonable thing to do, why would I assume you're lying? But now I wonder if you are lying.

Honestly, I have to admit, you know?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

Honestly, I have to admit, you know?
Thank you for being honest 🙏

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm so exhausted at all the loving pushback society is getting from dickheads about institutions becoming more trans-positive. So many articles with female athletes whining at the FA for "Failing" to exclude trans people. They aren't failing dumbass, they decided not to do it because it was stupid. Similarly a guy at the BBC getting a bunch of emails from transphobic female employees because they accepted a complaint about a presenter making a stupid remark. It's just... tiring to constantly see this headlines all over the place because these idiots can't just gently caress off already. (obviously this is more than a peeve, but there's nowhere more appropriate to vent.)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Mar 21, 2024

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People using the phrase “a lot to unpack” about anything other than literally unpacking after a trip

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

oldpainless posted:

People using the phrase “a lot to unpack” about anything other than literally unpacking after a trip

More like oldmetaphorless

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
You mean hamaphor, right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

People who clear their throat with some weird loving pattern or sound

Eh-eh-eh-eh-ehhnn

A-hyymmm, a-hymhymhymmmm

Aahnn Hannah hhrerk hn

KccchhhWWW eh eh eh

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Brawnfire posted:

People who clear their throat with some weird loving pattern or sound

Eh-eh-eh-eh-ehhnn

A-hyymmm, a-hymhymhymmmm

Aahnn Hannah hhrerk hn

KccchhhWWW eh eh eh

GET DOWN WITH THE SICKNESS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

loving reverse phone lookup sites. It used to be that you could plug an unknown phone number into your favorite search engine and find the owner's name. Yes, it's a bit unsettling how easily you could be found with just a phone number, but it was useful if someone called your phone and you didn't know who it was.

Today you plug in a number and wait for a couple of minutes as these sites chew through every conceivable scrap of information about the owner - their underwear size, the color of their grandmother's eyes, their grades in middle school - only to find that you have not gotten their name (which is all you wanted anyway) but you have to pay. gently caress you! I just want to know who belongs to this number who keeps calling me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

loving reverse phone lookup sites. It used to be that you could plug an unknown phone number into your favorite search engine and find the owner's name. Yes, it's a bit unsettling how easily you could be found with just a phone number, but it was useful if someone called your phone and you didn't know who it was.

Today you plug in a number and wait for a couple of minutes as these sites chew through every conceivable scrap of information about the owner - their underwear size, the color of their grandmother's eyes, their grades in middle school - only to find that you have not gotten their name (which is all you wanted anyway) but you have to pay. gently caress you! I just want to know who belongs to this number who keeps calling me.

Don't worry, it's a spoofed number being used by a scammer so there's no information to find anyway.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I've gotten a couple of phone calls from randos insisting I'd just called them, because Tiggum is right, poo poo is spoofed. fortunately they've understood when I've told them that

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I got a text message a few years ago to that effect and after I explained what happened they let it go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

root beer posted:

I got a text message a few years ago to that effect and after I explained what happened they let it go

The people that don't are one of my biggest pet peeves. Especially when someone spoofs our office number, when people call back and get a business phone system they become very certain that this is something we're doing on purpose and have control over.