Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
When people pour the coffee before the creamer, then pour in way too much creamer because it all goes straight to the bottom so the top stays black, and then when they stir it it goes chalk-white, and they drink it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Tiggum posted:

People who say "ek cetera" or write "ect."

Are you one of those weirdos who prefers "&c"?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Partial Octopus posted:

The correct abbreviation is "etc."

Apparently I am ysdexlic :downs:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jastiger posted:

Having worked as a sales person if I call a number and it's never answered it'd still valid.

If i call and you say no, gently caress you, it is no longer valid.

When you ignore it, it keeps your number as "valid" since they know it's real and has never received a "no".

How do I know you're not lying to me to trick me into getting telemarketed?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Pet peeve: being the only person in the house doing any cleaning, and then we have to have a big roommate sit-down because the house smells like garbage and "we've all been slacking". No, you guys are slacking. I'm the one who keeps doing dishes and taking out the compost so the kitchen doesn't reek of rotten soybeans.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Sociopastry posted:

Oh my god. My boyfriend does this- I love him dearly, but he seems to think that honey is a miracle medicine. Got a serious cut? Honey. Depression? Honey. Flu? Honey. Eye ulcer? Honey.

He's very smart other wise but sometimes I just want to shake him and scream that modern medicine exists for a reason and does he think the pills I take every day are fake?

Enjoy your divorce!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Conveyor belt sushi places where too many people are ordering directly from the kitchen, which means the chefs don't have time to put anything on the belt. What's the point? Just go to the actual sushi bar up the street if you want real sushi. Nothing you get here is going to be "good sushi" anyways so stop loving up the gimmick.

Irish Joe posted:

People who eat almonds one-at-a-time.

I like biting almonds in half and then eating each half individually.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Stoatbringer posted:

Barbarian! Use a knife and fork like a human being.

How do you eat it, with your hands?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
My pet peeve is roommates, specifically ones who let the house get loving disgusting and then have a big Roommate Sit-Down to tell us that "we've all been slacking, all of us, and we need to pick up after ourselves more". Maybe if I wasn't the only one washing dishes, wiping stovetops, and vacuuming carpets you wouldn't be panicking about being reamed by the rental company for wrecking the house you put your name on the lease for (haha suckers).

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There are places where the air is so toxic, a sort of "oxygen mud room" is required for grocery stores to safely present uncovered produce to consumers. Where the environment is viciously overpressurized to keep dangerous particulates out of the store, sort of like a reverse Level III+ biosafety mechanism for places where people store anthrax and Bubonic plague. You grab a cart and glance over at a sign--BOGO on chicken tenders--when suddenly your head is wracked with a piercing pain and your sinuses feel like they're about to split open like rotten fruit in a microwave. It's like going from sea level to cruising altitude in five seconds. You yawn and work your jaw until your eardrums snap and the pain subsides. Welcome to Fresno.

I'm so glad I moved away from there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
People who leave long, meandering voicemails and then cram in their phone number at the very end so quickly and unexpectedly that I can't write it all down and I have to listen to the whole thing again. This is mildly offset by guests with hilarious novelty emails. Booking someone who's getting major, life-threatening surgery done, and their email is, like, "hamsterfart99" will never not be funny.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Don't make the sad mom working her second shift at the Jack in the Box do money magic because your wallet's cluttered with singles and coins.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Door-slamming. I know this is usually just a product of growing up in a big loud family but holy poo poo, stop it. It takes like a billionth of a fraction of a second of forethought to not slam the door. Shut it gently. See also: stomping on stairs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

cash crab posted:

2) Baby boomer aged people who get really agitated and impatient in public, like in the line at the post office or at a restaurant, and then turn to you and start yelling about how lovely the employees there are, and keep talking as if they expect you to participate in their passive aggressive bullshit. Lady, baby boomers are the reason I have to work in lovely, low-end jobs to make ends meet, so believe me, I will not be engaging you in a conversation about how the lone, fifteen year old coffee shop employee is not living up to your loving standards.

I work at a long-stay cancer home, and our clientele is like, 90% baby boomers. Some of them are really nice, and a lot of the non-baby-boomers are crabby shitpots too, but there's something really special about the way a baby boomer gets nitpicky and grumpy that totally rubs me the wrong way. They might as well be wearing a big sign that says "WARNING: ENTITLED", which would at least allow me to be prepared for the inevitable tantrum about limited parking.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I work at a front desk of a medical hotel so I have a lot of customer pet peeves, which I can mostly understand because they know a lot less about how we work than I do. But it's the ones who come in misinformed and then refuse to believe that we, behind the counter, who are working here and have been for years, know more about how we work than they do that really get me. The only saving grace is that, since we're private and specific (cancer patients), we don't have to bow to every angry schlub who wheezes about parking or renting three rooms at once. I love being able to lay down the rules and I thank god every day that I'm allowed to.

littlebluellama posted:

How big are these centipedes? :stare:

Too big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW6MKj1Rdwk

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Wheelchair chat: I had surgery on my foot a few years ago and decided to go to the mall to get out of the house. I grabbed a wheelchair to roll around in instead of having to crutch around.

When is get to a store if it was a tight space I'd get up and crutch around instead. The way people treated me when I was in the chair vs upright was noticeable and mildly offensive. In the chair they treated me like I had a mental disability, talking down to me slowly and with simple words but treating me like a regular person when I was standing up. Having a goat fuckoff cast on my foot doesn't mean I lost any cognitive ability, people!

Similarly, at my job I usually work front desk and do general office stuff, and the guests treat me like I'm on their level, but now and then, like on weekends, I have to do some custodial work, and suddenly I'm just some schmuck with a garbage bin. Though this does lead to some fun reversals, where a guest sees me first schlepping trash and treats me accordingly, then later comes down to check out or pay up or whatever and there I am, handling their money and coordinating their stay and they get all awkward about it. Like hey, wow, maybe the people who clean up your messes aren't shiftless, braindead morons.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
God, people on diets in general. Our two morning regular staff are constantly going on and off diets together and it drives me nuts having to work morning shifts when they're all up and "on" their shakes and buzzing around talking about protein and walking. Of course, they're both cheating constantly, and eventually they fall off entirely for a few weeks before panicking and starting it all over, so they never get down to their goal weights, just on and off, up, down, up, down.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Every time I have to listen to the radio I'm reminded of why I don't listen to the radio. We have a couple of good ones here in Seattle but gott in himmel the standard stations are unbearable. I don't know if the awful ads are as pervasive in Germany but here they're probably more annoying than ones on TV, which is just insult to injury. I'll never forget the McDonald's ad for their jalapeno burger, which literally featured a man screaming at the top of his lungs for fifteen seconds. And not even words, just AAAAAAAAA.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Murphy Brownback posted:

As long as it's not the opposite extreme of the try-hard fancy poo poo like that infamous "we do it live" chili "recipe". Almost every recipe posted online seems to either try way too hard to be fancy, or try way too hard to be funny. Both are terrible and I'd rather just read an old cook book that doesn't gently caress around and gives you the drat recipe and nothing more.

Were those the ones that were a photoset with text like "FUCKIN PUT THIS poo poo RIGHT IN HERE YEA REWARD YOURSELF WITH A FUCKIN BEER BECAUSE YOU'RE A COOL BRO gently caress PUSSY" because I'll take the faffery about someone's "maman" opening a patisserie in Breton over that any day.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Inspirational articles about kids who take amazing photos. I've seen a few of these and they're always a: incredibly wealthy and b: suspiciously well-edited. Giving a precocious eight-year-old a five thousand dollar camera with a ten thousand dollar lens, taking him on a trip to the African savannah, and then booting up his photos in Lightroom isn't a miraculous achievement, it's just what happens when you aim expensive equipment in the general direction of picturesque animals.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

KoB posted:

When youre standing in line, and the line moves up so the person in front of you takes a few steps, you take a few steps, and then the person in front of you takes a step or two back. Great now we're all uncomfortably close.

Related: line bunching, where everyone's so anxious to get to the end of the line that people kind of squish together now and then, apparently to provide the illusion of progress, though the only real effect is to make you extra conscious about where you're resting your hands.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Fancy computerized menus on big LCD screens with splashy graphics that keep switching around and taking the actual menu away to show you videos of sweaty tomatoes rolling around on cutting boards.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
When you're trying to use streetview but you get sucked into one of those walking tours of some lovely boutique store, or a photosphere of a sidewalk patio, and the only way to get back onto the actual streetview is to go down and re-drop the little Google guy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Because the whitest people on the planet figured out a way to monetize it

http://www.thugkitchen.com/

This reads like bad fanfic for The Wire.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Nuebot posted:

One guy I know has a habit of turning his phone off immediately after he finishes a call for some god forsaken reason so I'll miss a call, get a message like "Hey, call me back it's important!" and then upon calling him back, I find out that his phone is off. Then he gets mad no one calls him back.

Someone should tell him.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also, fries get lovely way quicker than a burger.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lemon posted:

Although it has seen an odd resurgence in these forums recently, it's pretty old. George Carlin used it in a way that suggested it was a fairly common term in Class Clown, which was 1992.

Or 1972, if you buy vinyl.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I figured casually explaining about sell-bys and asking him to write it down was more tactful than saying BAD BOYFRIEND, GARBAGE PRIVILEGES REVOKED. Definitely agree though, kitchen waste makes me bonkers, so Mr. Five Oreganos up there isn't much better :argh:

I don't think "stop throwing my belongings away" is particularly unreasonable.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ah, this music is nice, let's see what it is!

"Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Le Nozze Di Figaro/The Marriage Of Figaro K 492 Conductor Herbert Von Karajan - Act 4: Barbarina, Cos'Hai?"

ah.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They're also tagged properly, but for some reason the actual track title lumps it all in as well. I've only noticed this on classical CDs, so maybe it's an old people/classical formalism thing that I'm not aware of, but it's really annoying. Especially on my ipod, when I'm like "what track is this" and I have to wait nine hours for it to scroll to the important bit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Murphy Brownback posted:

On the other end: hotels that advertise free wifi in rooms but when you get there it's essentially non-functional if you're above the ground floor or beyond the nearest rooms to the lobby. I'd rather pay for functional wifi no matter where your room is than have nothing.

This is how it was at the hotel I work at for the first year I was working there, and by then the system was almost six years old. We got constant complaints about it, especially from the long-term residents, who I felt really bad for, since we house people with major illnesses, and a lot of them just wanted to Skype with their family but could barely even load Facebook. Thankfully we upgraded recently but jfc, this isn't some jerkoff Super 8, our guests are dying, at least let them watch Netflix.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Typos on documents we put up in the lobby or other places guests can see them. Hey, dipstick, the red squiggles under the words means you're spelling it wrong. What's an "eleavator", and why is it an "inconvience" when it's in "maintnence"?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
On the other hand, people who say both parties are "equally bad" or somehow "the same" and therefore they won't vote, which tells me that not only are they in a position where things like gay rights, black rights, women's health, health care, income equality, etc etc don't affect them, they also choose to totally ignore them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This happens on the bus a lot - they stand there, with room to move out of your way as you awkwardly push past them, but they just kind of stare at you. And they don't even move, either. You like, have to literally push them out of the way with your body to get to the doors, and they look kind of vaguely annoyed, and it's like...are you pod people?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Troutful posted:

Useless online recipe reviews. I see this kind of thing a lot:

"Thick & Fluffy Pancake Recipe"

Reviewer: "Pancakes way too thick and fluffy. 1/5"

See also:

"Egg And Potato Breakfast Burritos"

Reviewer: "Not great. Replaced eggs with gravel, potatoes with used tampons. Tasted crunchy and inauthentic. 2/5"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The general domination of hobbies by angry white guys is my pet peeve.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Murphy Brownback posted:

Even if you spend the extra money to sit in the alumni section with shade and actual seats instead of just bleachers you'll still get yelled at for sitting down in them unless you're 60+ years old.

Can't you just tell these people to gently caress off?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Ozz81 posted:

"Cash, rear end, or grass - tech support isn't free"

I hope this isn't the deal you strike with family.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
We all just consider it ongoing reparations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't think we really need to listen to a bunch of racists on the topic of social mannerisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That happens on Tumblr a lot where it'll try to hide a really long image set by compressing it after you've scrolled past it, but it takes a bunch of other posts with it, and when you try to scroll back up to read what you've just jumped past it re-loads the image set. It's like the webpage version of that awkward dance you do when you're trying to get past someone on the sidewalk and you both dodge in the same direction.

Also: when the youtube video ad loads in crisp 40k 600fps instantly and then the actual content is 144p and keeps pausing to buffer.