Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

And if anyone exclaims anything I just want to scream, although I'm not exactly sure why.

Probably because it's overused and largely redundant in a language that has a punctuation mark explicitly dedicated to showing that exact thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

See also: people who blame you when you tell them they dialed a wrong number

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

You'd just order half a kilogram you dork. Or you could even order 450 grams, since the metric system is actually intuitive.

e: quart is literally the only unit of measurement that makes any amount of sense. Nothing else does.

The Imperial foot is an awesome and extremely handy unit of measurement :colbert: You can generally express human-scale distances with much simpler numbers in feet than you can in meters/centimeters.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

E: My bad, misinterpreted your point. As an aside though, what's supposed to be the big deal about the specific size of a foot? Is the main defense of imperial seriously that a particular measurement is a nice size? :psyduck:

It's just my personal opinion, but sure. It means fewer significant digits and/or simpler fractions for a lot of day to day measurements.

e: no arguments that the rest of the imperial system is a hilariously awful clusterfuck (I cook a lot and lololol gently caress imperial volume units), but it happens that there's a very common scale in a common measurement that slips right between powers of 10.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Nov 15, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Probably already been done to death in this thread, but stalking parking spaces in parking lots that aren't actually full.

The time it would take you to keep driving and park another hundred or so feet away and walk to the store is less than the time it would take you to follow that lady down the aisle at 1mph and wait for her to put her groceries away and pull out. If your fat inbred diabetic rear end can't waddle from one end of the parking lot to the other, that's when you get a little windshield tag so you can use those open handicapped spots you passed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is this a windows 10 thing because I've never had it happen on 7.

It's definitely happened on my 7 desktop.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
People who tailgate but will not under any circumstances pass you, especially when the weather is lovely and the road is slick.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Yeah Bro posted:

I am also annoyed when people aren't as intimately familiar with the mcdonalds menu as I am and have to take time to make a decision.

Dude, it's McDonald's. You don't need to comb the menu looking for hidden gems, because spoiler, there aren't any. Order the first vaguely edible sounding item and put it in your mouth because the only reason you're at the McDonald's drive thru is because you're hungry and don't give a poo poo what you're eating as long as it's convenient.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RabbitWizard posted:

People telling a story and then getting stuck/wasting time on remembering useless details.

Me: "Hey, where's your phone?"

Normal person: "I braked for a bunny running over the street and that made some soda spill over my phone. It's broken."

The people I'm talking about :
"Man, 4 days ago...or was it 3? When was Thursday? Well, Thursday i was driving to visit my brother, you know Tom? The one who married that Asian 2 years ago? What was her name? Rikuchu? Rickachu? I think something starting with Rik....do you remember her? Do you? DO YOU? Yes, alright, so i was driving to see my brother, i used my other car, do you know it? The blue 1996 Volvo. Or was it a 1998? I think it was a 1998. So i was driving out of the city, you know the street that goes a really wide left first and then there's that blue single house? Before the forest? There's a pretty nice place for barbeque's there, we should go there some time. So i was driving there ok i can't any more

These people are also called "old people"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

And if it's at the start of a conversation it ensures you have the listener's attention. Incidentally, being called out on not listening when the speaker just launched into a vauge rant while looking at something else (for example, in general without making an effort to get my attention) is one of my pet peeves.

:agreed:

I have a coworker who will just ask me detailed questions from across the room without so much as a "hey" when we're both in the middle of working on unrelated tasks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Websites that make the SIGN UP button ridiculously prominent and then hide the log in button off in the corner somewhere.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Fuckin rubberneckers. Doesn't matter how minor the accident is, doesn't matter how clear the road is, the interstate turns into a parking lot because every slackjawed idiot has to slow down and gawk at the wreck.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Stoatbringer posted:

If you see blue emergency lights up ahead, the sensible thing to do is to slow right down, because the road could be blocked, there could be debris/oil all over the road, you could be a hazard to the emergency vehicles, and so on. Unfortunately, due to the way traffic moves, as soon as anyone in fairly heavy traffic slows down then there will be a slow-down there even after the accident has been cleared. It's not rubbernecking, it's sensible action and traffic-physics.

Plus you might get a cool death-crash selfie, of course.

To some extent, sure. But when I can actually see people pull up alongside all the emergency vehicles and then hit the brakes, when they have nothing but 1000+ feet of empty road ahead of them, I'm gonna call it like I see it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Whenever anyone phrases a request to do something as a question of whether or not you want to do it, you should always say "no". If you want me to do something, ask me to do it, don't ask me if I want to do it when you know I don't.

I found a new least favorite pet peeve

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tarantula posted:

People who want a green lawn in places that just don't normally allow it, my town is not only suffering high unemployment but a drought to boot, we have so little water in our local dam we have to pump water from the next one over, despite this there is still a huge problem with people wasting water trying to keep their precious loving lawn green. I've never been able to wrap my head around it, yes a green lawn does look better than a brown one, but if you want green you shouldn't live in loving dry part of Australia you twats.

The worst is when most of the neighborhood has thrown in the towel and let their lawn die but some stubborn rear end in a top hat is still keeping their lawn pristine. If your lawn is a tiny patch of green in a sea of brown it still looks like rear end.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You must have some extra fancy Aldi stores because the one I go to doesn't have a bagging area or bags. The standard procedure is to put everything back into the cart, push the cart out to your car, then angrily fling the groceries straight into the trunk in between bouts of screaming at your spouse and slapping your children in the face.

You're supposed to bring your own bags :ssh: The "bagging area" is just the dead space between the registers and the door. If you're lucky there will be a counter or something for you to set poo poo on.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's not how I would describe the term "backlash" but I guess it's neither here nor there. Hamilton is now the symbol of Obama-era liberalism and terrible rapping for people who otherwise do not listen to hip hop, and LMM is way overexposed. He was good on Curb and that main song from Moana bangs though.

I liked LMM's role on His Dark Materials where he picks a bar fight and an entire town beats the poo poo out of him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
how big are your hands dude

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I occasionally see people write poo poo like "answers remained illusive" or things along those lines, so yes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

lobsterminator posted:

Reddit system works only for things that are naturally vote ranked. Like if you ask for software recommendations or movies or whatever and then you get answers sorted by upvotes.

But any free form comment sections just end up with the same jokes and puns on top every time thanks to the voting.

That's not even the worst of it imo--if you're asking for factual information a serious answer will usually get voted up above the dumb jokes, but not necessarily the correct answer, just the earliest and most emphatic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It annoys me in horror movies when there's no legal fallout. There's ten people dead, and the cops just accepts a ghost did it? They're cops, movie.

For added verisimilitude the cops should look around, jot a few notes down, and tell everyone "sounds like a civil issue to me, good luck with that."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

Asking you to use an app instead of just using a regular web browser is essentially the company saying "our web site is dogshit and we know it and no we won't fix it".

Half the time the website is perfectly fine, maybe even better than the app! But the app lets them mine more data to sell and gives them more metrics to track so that they can look for numbers going up.

Semi-related: I hate it when websites have a huge SIGN UP NOW button and a little tiny existing user log in off in the corner somewhere. Yes, I already knew that all you cared about is signing up new users and not providing services to existing ones, but you didn't have to rub it in like that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

WTF. Stores here will absolutely tell you to leave, and when I've accidentally wandered into a restaurant 20 minutes before closing they politely said "Sorry, we're closing in 20 minutes." And this is in an at-will employment hellscape state.

In my experience it's mostly a corporate vs. non-corporate thing. The big chain stores/restaurants are mostly afraid to put their foot down because no one there has real authority and they're afraid of getting punished by higher ups. Local businesses are more likely to have the owner or someone tightly connected to them that can tell customers to gently caress off without fear.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Stop watching Seth MacFarlane creations?

It's not like he's the only one, plenty of comedy writers seem to think that they don't need to write jokes as long as they can set lovely rhymes to music.

tee hee, they're singing about an inappropriate topic, isn't that so original and hilarious

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

If I remember right it's a money thing - a writer gets royalties if they wrote a song in a TV episode rather than just the usual script.

Really? I would expect studios to clamp down harder on that if it's a money thing, nickel and diming their creative teams is practically their whole job. C'mon, do what you do best and spare us from mediocre musical knockoffs!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Spam is better than steak, especially fried.

My peeve is when people will chew through like, burnt ends from brisket and be like "yum, so good cow, way better than some tender barbecue sauce laden pulled pork, that would be gross, i have adult taste, hating my meal is profound"

e: more phuo than peeve but steak is far and away the most overrated meat from the most insufferable people. Give me a chicken breast slathered in ranch dressing and cholula, I don't care, anything but a boring middle-aged dad's loving godawful steak (RARE NOT WELL DONE)

steak and burnt ends are good, sorry :shrug:

people that obsess about them are hella basic and I fully endorse judging them but it's still good food

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I dunno they taste like food to me. sorry about your covid hope your taste comes back soon

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

InediblePenguin posted:

was trying to empty the trash cans from around the store and had the dirty trash bags in a cart and turned my back for less than a minute and somebody stealthily dumped all the bags on the floor and took the cart to do their shopping

PYF supervillain origin story

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
lick my culdy sack

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

Packaging that says "Tear here" and has an arrow pointing to a part of the package that is identical to the rest of it and no easier to tear.

Packaging that says "Tear here" and tears right off, leaving the package still perfectly sealed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I feel lucky in that none of the call center jobs I used to work were ever that bad.

Coincidentally, they all wound up getting unceremoniously closed in favor of shittier call centers that could do a worse job for less money.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
wow I'm glad all those nazi cultures died out on their own

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

As in, bread + tuna = sandwich? How could you understand the concept of a sandwich and not be able to put that together yourself?

The tuna comes from a can, you see, and he never had a parent who cared enough to make him consider how the can opener addresses the can

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

I don't know if this counts as a peeve at this point because I'm furious, but. I'm stuck in traffic in the middle of Colorado on a long 1 lane highway. I was initially here because there was a car crash, but that's been cleared for half an hour. Now I'm here because *two* different idiots got stuck on the same traffic and decided to try and bypass it in the oncoming lane and very predictably caused more accidents. gently caress

how the gently caress do they think that's going to even work :psyduck:

hmm there are infinity cars stopped in the road ahead of me, I will swerve into oncoming traffic and drive alongside these bumper to bumper cars until ??????

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

I feel like a boomer when I say this but people just aren't as patient while they're driving anymore. I don't remember this sort of idiocy on this scale pre-Covid.

Things have definitely gotten more stupid. It was worst in the spring right after the Omicron wave went down from its peak, there were a couple weeks where people spontaneously decided en masse that red left arrows counted as stop signs and I was seeing a couple flagrantly illegal turns a day.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I always assume the trackers overestimate. I don't have a real fitness tracker, I just tell my phone I'm walking/jogging/disc golfing (not actually an option, I have to choose regular golf) and it just seems unlikely that I really burned like 600 calories walking in the woods for a couple hours?

You'd be surprised, although 1) it does assume that you're walking continuously at a determined rate and 2) those figures have your basal metabolic rate built in so 30-50% of that is what you would be burning anyhow.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Now that I'm done with Christmas shopping: Retailers who build websites that make it a pain in the rear end to figure out if an item is available in stores or not. I am specifically looking for reasons to give you money! If you're just going to be Amazon but more steps then I'm giving my money to Amazon instead and neither of us is really thrilled about this situation.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

It smells like rear end, not pee.

You should see a doctor about that then, that's not how your piss should smell.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I don't like it when people think the sauce jus is called au jus. "Sandwich with au jus". Sandwich with with juice?! Dumb.

it's called with juice because it goes with the sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

I can type several times faster than I can read and understand the text, but people will like, hand me a pamphlet and act like I immediately understand the contents.

So if someone handed you e.g. an encyclopedia article and asked you to type it up as fast as you could, you could quickly transcribe it but wouldn't really know what it said by the time you were done?