Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
People who walk ahead of you and can kiiiiind of see you in their peripheral vision, so they're aware you're there, but they're not really thinking so instead of getting out of the way, they swerve right in front of you as you're about to pass them.

People who are so unaware that when I call out to them "on your left!" to try not to startle them, they gasp, panic, and LEAP dramatically out of the way as if I'd said "on your left and about to stab you in the kidneys!"

Washing the dishes and getting water on your forearms that drips into your armpit if you raise your arm even a little. You might THINK you dried it all off, but you didn't. And that one single armpit droplet feels so gross when the rest of you is dry.

Wet bread, wet socks.

Stale, out-of-date inside jokes. My whole family liked Silence of the Lambs when I was a kid, and I used to imitate the bad guy fairly accurately, and even though I haven't seen the movie in a good 20 years, they still make "lotion in the basket" jokes. It was funny when I was 12 and the movie was big, but I'm 36 and haven't even thought about that guy since the LAST time you made that same joke.

People who think they know more about my own hobbies than I do. You've never run a step in your life, but you feel comfortable telling me how bad my knees are and what my marathon times should be like? And disparaging pregnant women who are professional athletes who choose to run? I don't go around telling you how you should sit on your rear end and chew Doritos, you don't tell me how to train, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Though of another one. Blond jokes. They're right up there with the Buffalo Bill jokes with my family. I'm the only one who's blond, but they're constantly pointing out how "blond" they are when they do something stupid. I almost wish they'd start with lawyer jokes just to give me a break from the blond jokes. No, you're not "super blond today," you're just a dumbass.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Homeless Bebe posted:

Companies that don't even bother to send a e-mail telling you that you won't be called in for a interview for a position you've applied for. I know it's just a empty gesture, but when you've spent a lot of time writing an application an e-mail is the least they can do.

I can't tell you how many times I've completely owned an interview and still had to pull teeth to get an update on a decision. I know hiring is a hard thing to do, you may not know until it's too late if you made the right decision, but at least give me a heads-up if it's been a couple of weeks since the interview.

I can even give a pass to companies who don't reach out to every applicant. But the minute you put on a suit and shake their hand, they owe you some closure. If you made me a job offer, wouldn't you ultimately expect a yes or no? It goes both ways.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Tea Bone posted:

I'm not a lawyer, I have no qualifications in law and haven't even studied it. This does not stop a guy I work with from keep asking me legal advice.

I got a lot of this in my first year as a law student. Yes, mom, I know your husband is screwing you over, but my three weeks of legal education cannot help you. I would if I could, though.

Oddly, it happens a lot less now that I've been practicing awhile. I still get the occasional "I know you don't practice criminal law, but can you help my friend's cousin's boyfriend who's totally innocent and the cops are lying and oh right you work for free right?" from someone I vaguely knew four years ago.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I know jack poo poo about what teams are good now that I'm out of college, but I went to UConn so I usually just go and put them going all the way when they're in the tournament and then do some random semi-educated guesses.

I have won a surprising amount of money doing that the past few years. :getin:

I do the same since I went to a pretty good school basketball-wise (go Terps!) and usually end up losing. Half the time I half-rear end a bracket and then just watch the Maryland games.

Oxyclean posted:

I think that's the just the nature of being in the field/having an area of expertise/being law-adjacent. People do that all the time with poo poo - say you work with computers people will hit you up for tech support. ""I don't know poo poo about <blank> maybe that guy I met a few years ago who's studying <blank> can help me!"

Yeah, definitely. Most of the time I don't mind it, especially if it's a close friend or family member and they just want some general advice. But it really starts to bug me when a practical stranger just pops up in my messenger (it's always facebook, that's how close I am to these people) and asks me for some simple one-line solution to their distant relative's very complex legal issue, the details of which I don't have. I just send them to the local low-cost law clinic, and they're usually pretty grateful, which is nice, but it's kind of funny since the five seconds they'd spend googling it is far less time than the ten minutes they've spent pretending to catch up on how I'm doing.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

"perf". I hate that loving word. "she's so perf" "oh that's perf" gently caress YOUUuuuu

See also, "gorg," "sesh," and "vacay," or worse, "vaca." I can only read this as "Only three hours and twelve minutes of work until COWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Davros1 posted:

People who refer to their children as "babies."

Your kids are in the first grade, they aren't babies.

And their grandparents who call them "grandbabies."

Oh god...I HATE 'grandbabies.' My stepmother calls her grandkids this. And even though she's not that old, her kid couldn't keep it in his pants and now her grand'babies' have children of their own...and two of the others are in college.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Furrbabies.

No, gently caress you. They are my CATS.

Petsmart has a new thing now with ads how having a pet is just like having a furry kid. A poster of a woman holding a cat declaring the order in her house is cat, her, then husband, but shhhh don't tell her husband!

I love my cats and snakes and all my pets. But call them furrbabies and I will think you loving insane.

Ditto this. My mom calls them "furkids," or worse, "kitkins." No, I very specifically did NOT have kids. I have a cat because I like cats. I do not have kids because I don't like kids. I have a cat, she is not my child, she is a 16 year old cat. I get it--pets are family to me, too. But my cat is not my baby--she's more of a best friend who bosses me around a lot.

I've noticed people get really wonky if I order vegetarian or vegan food. I'm not a vegan because reasons, but I love vegan food, and if I'm going to eat a vegan soup or entree, I'm not going to put bacon on it just because it's there. Just because I am not vegan doesn't mean I have to eat meat for every meal. People can't seem to figure out that sometimes I just want vegetables because duh, they're good. And no, I'm not on a diet just because I like to eat vegetables. They taste good and they're good for me. What's the problem?

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Apr 28, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:( i just thought it was a funny post to make i'm sorry

I laughed.

I told my partner, and he said we were all weird. Hater.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

I hate this kind of one-upsmanship bullshit with a passion - seems especially prevalent with lovely parents that have to make it sound like their lives are worse off than anyone else's. Why did you have children in the first loving place if all you're going to do is bitch and moan and use them to compare how terrible your life is to everyone else? Those are the types I troll mercilessly when they get uppity with me, whether it's a "boy, sure did feel good to sleep in all night" or "man, it feels good to be able to do what I want, whenever I want, without thinking about babysitters, day care, etc."

Yep, that's what I do when the "woe is mom" crowd gets after me with its "oh, it must be so nice to be able to take vacations/stay thin/spend money on yourself/whatever glamorous poo poo childfree people are supposed to be doing for themselves." I won't pretend my life is oh-so-hard, I have a great job and a good family and friends and a loving boyfriend, but other than defaulting to kids in my 30s, my life is fairly average. I go to work, I do my hobbies, I pay my bills. But when the sad-eyed mommies whine about how they WISH they could spend an hour at the gym, I just go "oh, I know, exercise is SO FUN! I'm so lucky to have functioning birth control!" or "yeah, I totally spent sixty bucks on saltwater taffy last weekend and ate it while sitting naked in my palatial estate off the coast with my loving sexy hunk of a boyfriend!" and "oh yeah, no way could I run this marathon with a kid stuck to my legs!" It's all bullshit, but you'll never convince a sanctimommy that you might, possibly, be tired after running for 4+ hours or poring over the intellectual property section of a contract for twelve hours. I could be separating twins conjoined at the brain for thirty hours and I would still somehow never be as tired as someone who wipes snot and butts all day.

Spalec posted:

I hate the "BEING A MOM IS THE HARDEST JOB EVER" attitude. It's not. It's probably not even in the top 50%. I always wonder what firefighters, coal miners or lumberjacks think of some sheltered suburban mom who thinks a stressful day is when the neighbour mows the lawn and wakes up little baby Astrid. I doubt they have that much sympathy.

Basically this right here.

My favorite mom is a coworker who is very real about her kids. It's obvious that she loves them, and she definitely cuts her day off at eight hours on the nose so she can go home and handle kid stuff. But she has no problems with telling us what little pains in the rear end they are.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

People with little dogs who let them get away with being aggressive shits because it's "cute" and "lol he thinks he's a big dog!!" If my 40 pound dog was snapping and snarling at anyone who walked by I'd get animal control called on my rear end immediately but since it's a tiny ankle biter it's suddenly ok? And when my dog barks back don't you dare lecture me on controlling my dog.

Little dogs in general irk me. The bf has a westie, and it's cute as hell despite being a tiny loving thing, but he lets his mom raise it and she treats it like a goddamn stuffed toy. She refuses to discipline it and it yaps at every goddamn noise in the house. It jumps--literally it can jump up to your elbows and will NOT stop without a prolonged period of just ignoring it--and licks any exposed bit of skin obsessively. If you go near her food or touch or put your face near her neck she growls like a goddamn monster. She's completely undisciplined, and his mom won't let us take the dog back because she's attached to it now. So she will never be properly trained, even though my bf is actually quite good with dogs. She listens to the bf and his dad, but walks all over the mom. It's infuriating because she's a smart dog and deserves better but instead she gets treated like a little baby, and it drives me nuts. Little dogs ARE trainable, but they're primarily owned by little old ladies who just want a teddy bear.

And don't get me started on breeders/puppy mills. If you have to spend multiple hundreds of dollars to "buy" a dog, I don't want to hear about it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I know we've touched on this before, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing people complain about how their kids cramp their style and make everything SO HARD, and then in the next breath tell me I'm missing out by not having any. Yeah, it sounds like I'm missing out on a whole lot of pain in the rear end.

Yesterday I was told that I have "no excuse" for not doing weekend hikes because my time is my own and I've got nothing else going on. Sure, I mean, it's not like I have a job, or other hobbies, or relationships that need work, and I certainly don't have errands that need taking care of. I can do whatever I want because kids are such a pain in the rear end and oh they make you so fat and they're so expensive and oh my god I never have time for anything HEY WHY HAVEN'T YOU HAD KIDS YET THEY'RE A BLESSING.

Look, I'm not the one who knocked you up, so take it up with your husband if you're that unhappy with the choices you made. And I know misery loves company, but you're not going to recruit me to your side after you spent ten minutes talking about how awful it is.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I hate it when people stare at me at the gym. I'm not doing anything unusual or spectacular (and I don't grunt, scream, or wear inappropriate clothing, so that's not it), just using the weights and machines the way they're intended. But every so often I'll glance in the mirror and some mouth-breather will just be sitting there between sets, staring. I don't think it's on purpose--a movement catches your eye and you happen to be resting, so you just don't bother to look away after the initial glance. They're not leering or being pervy, just staring, usually with their mouths open. I don't mind if people glance over to see what I'm doing--I've gotten ideas on new moves that way--but after you figure it out, go back to your workout and stop staring!

Like I said, I think it's an unintentional innocent mistake--they probably don't realize they're staring--but it's unnerving after a while. Can I just do my workout in peace?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've got friends who like to call themselves the "form factor"; they're usually watching the form of other gym members and making sure they're performing exercises safely and correctly. That's possibly what is happening here: You might have lovely form and so you've unknowingly attracted the attention of somebody who has your best interests in mind.

There's this guy, Dunston, who will literally sneak up on gym-goers like a phantom, ambushing people with spots and surprise-motivation. Dude's a machine, and the gym is honestly better off for it.

Possible, but unlikely. They look like they're just resting, eyes glazed over and mouth open, and just forgot to point their eyes elsewhere. Anytime I make eye contact, they realize what's going on and pick back up where they left off.

Also, your friend sounds like a butthole. Or is that :thejoke:?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

I gotta admit. I'm one of these guys. I just got way into cooking and I get super proud of the stuff I make. I don't try to be a sick about it, though.

I guess my pet peeve is when people call me out as one of "those guys". I don't think I'm like that. I'm just excited to have learned a new skill and I wanna share that with friends.

People that take pictures of restaurant food can gently caress right off, though.

If it helps, there are some of us out there (like me) who love seeing your creations. I also like seeing people's progress at the gym or whatever. I also don't mind outfit of the day, makeup of the day, a DIY project you just finished, whatever. You can keep your kid's lovely diaper offscreen, though (and yes, people actually do this).

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
People who throw cigarettes out of their cars. One hit my car this morning. I have an idea that many of these people would balk at throwing a flaming wad of fast food wrappers out of the car window while driving (though some wouldn't), but if the fiery garbage is related to their addiction, it's totally okay, right?

And those who say "I don't want that poo poo in my car." But you want it in your lungs?

And those who get grossed out at people who dip. Yes, it's gross. But your lungs look like his teeth, and you have the bonus of polluting the air, harming others, and littering the ground while you're at it, so don't pretend you're on some moral high ground here.

Basically, smokers.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
This is something that has been happening at work a lot lately. I write contracts for a large company, and one of my clients is very aggravated with my team because some things are changing and they feel they're being kept in the dark. Understandable, but we're trying to work things out and instead of input and feedback, all we get is anger and whining. So they're deliberately ignoring my (polite) requests for clarifications, to their own detriment because honestly, all they're doing is delaying their contracts getting out the door. This is a typical exchange.

I receive a request with no information, so I don't know what they're asking for.

Me: Hey there, John, can you tell me what needs to be put in Contract X for Y company?
John:....
Me: Hey, John, just checking in, I need some clarification on this contract request; it came to me blank. If you let me know what I need I can send it out.
Me: Hey John, I did some digging and I *think* this is what you're asking for but it's hard to say since I don't have all the information I need. Can you confirm or correct?
Me:...
John: WHERE IS MY CONTRACT WHY HAVEN'T YOU SENT IT OUT I'M TELLING YOUR BOSS YOU'RE IGNORING MY REQUESTS.
Me: Hi John, I'd be happy to send out your contract, but can you please tell me what needs to go in it? Please see the attached emails from 6/2, 6/15, and 6/17. Please let me know if you need more information.
John:......
Me: :tears hair out:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

The backhanded compliment where you are denied a raise, promotion, or transfer because "if you left here, we'd have to hire two people to replace you." So the job goes to someone else who does less so it's easier to replace him.

The gently caress do you say to poo poo like that? Thanks? Thanks for telling me I am so awesome and giving the spot I've been trying to get for seven years waiting for some old batshit to retire to a brand new guy who is hated by everyone because he's a loving creeper and only talks/whispers to female employees while standing almost on them and breathing right on them?

If you can't be replaced you can't be promoted.

Bonus Peeve: being asked in an interview what you will do if you don't get the promotion, and the manager/interviewer asking you more than once because he wants to be loving sure you said you would do still what you normally do while feeding you the lines if you indicate otherwise, you could lose your job entirely.

I was once passed over for a research trip because my coworker (who's usually super meticulous and conscientious) had been flaking out on work for weeks, not bothering to show up or communicate with anyone, and when another coworker mentioned he was surprised at the decision, my boss said he couldn't trust her to take care of our animals if I went. I was bummed, but he had a point.

As to your bonus, I wonder what would happen if you strongly insinuate that you would start to look for a job that could challenge you and actually use your skills (assuming you've outgrown your current position)?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

When you have a spikey rear end booger that tries to stab you in the brain

If you got boogers in your rear end that poke you in the brain, that's a bit more than a pet peeve, it's an actual medical problem.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
It really bugs me when people overreact to good food. Their eyes roll back in their heads, they point with their spoon/fork, and go "mmm! MMMM!" like they've never had fish and chips (or whatever) before. We get it, it tastes good. Stop having a culinary orgasm. I've been watching food network at the gym (it's one of only a few channels and if I'm not in the mood for the Kardashians or Fox News, FN it is) and people do this ALL THE TIME. That, or they kiss their fingers like some caricature of an Italian grandma. Do Italian people even do the finger-kiss thing when they make really good food?

Also, the word foodgasm. I know it's just an expression but it creeps me out when people compare food to sex. Stop moaning when you eat, it's weird.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm watching Iron Chef America on Netflix, because I ran out of stuff. They keep adding sound effects to 'enhance' the cooking or something. Like if someone is whisking, they add a whisking sound, but it won't match the visual. The worst is that they have ONE sound effect for pouring of liquid. It kind of sounds like, if you were to pour a milkshake into the metal cup from some height - and it's added to everything. Doesn't matter if it's pouring a vat of boiling water into the sink, pouring a glass of champagne, or ladling gravy onto potatoes; it's the exact same gurgle, just longer or shorter. Drives me mad.

I've always hated exaggerated food and drink sounds in commercials and the like.

The "look how crispy our food is!" chomping sound during commercials drives me batty. Chewing loudly is never okay, and enhancing the chewing sounds makes me want to strangle your loud rear end. I don't care if you can make a stupid song out of chewing sounds, KitKat, it's still unacceptable.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
When there are two water fountains and I go to drink from one and a doofus comes and stands behind me instead of drinking from the other one. I'm not going to hurry just because you're too stupid to realize there's another fountain literally right beside me.

Ditto assholes who will line up behind people going through double doors, instead of opening the other door. I'm not talking about when people are going in the right and coming out on the left side; I'm talking about when there's no oncoming traffic from the other door. Open both doors, jackasses, then we don't all have to wait to go in the building.

When you go and do this, of course, people stare at you as if you've offended their grandma or something. If I want water and you're at the fountain, I'll go to the other one, and you'll stare at me like I groped you or something. I'm standing next to you. This is how they put the fountains. It really should not surprise you that someone else might want to use the other available fountain at the same time as you. That's what it's there for.

Edit: also, at a four-way stop. Say four cars are approaching and you're the third car to stop. Inevitably, the fourth car will make a full stop, then pull into traffic, all with this dumb look on his face, like "what? I did a full stop! I can go now, right?" Yes, dumbass, after the three cars that stopped before you can go.

Same with multiple drivers going in the same direction at a stop sign. Car #2 will try to scoot up on Car #1's stop and count it as his own. Hey, I stopped, though, right? Never mind that it was six feet behind the stop sign and there was another car stopping in front of me, I did a full stop and don't need to do another one, right? No, jerk, you still have to stop at the stop sign. You don't get "credit" for stopping behind someone who's stopping at the sign.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Aug 21, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Not really a pet peeve, but I do love watching the assholes at red lights who constantly edge their car forward waiting for the light to change so they can speed away. Yesterday morning I saw one who was expecting it to change for so long that by the time it did, he was in the middle of the intersection.

Basically, fuckers in automatic transmission cars who have no impulse control. Inch up-it's still red. Inch up--it's still red. Inch up--IT'S STILL RED MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU CAN CONVINCE THE LIGHT TO CHANGE FASTER WITH YOUR PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE BULLSHIT? These are also the fuckheads who are never ready to go when the light actually does turn. Why do people do this??

These are also the same people who will get up on your rear end at a red light on a hill, and when you go to give them the "hey I'm in a manual, get off my rear end" roll back, then inch up a bit to give yourself a little room, they still get up on your rear end. Then act surprised when the light changes, and whoa gravity is a thing? and you slide back a little before taking off.

Yes, I could e-brake start, and yes, I could hit the gas sooner, but I love seeing their eyes get all big when they realize, oh so she WASN'T performing magic when she was rocking back at the light. Fortunately my car is old, and in our state if someone gets too close and you accidentally bump them on a hill at a light, they're at fault for being too close. It hasn't been an issue so far because there are not a whole lot of hills where I live, but I specifically avoid certain routes in San Francisco for this very reason.

Basically idiots who can't control their vehicles are my pet peeve.

Edit: I'm aware that this post makes me look like the rear end in a top hat but when you've had enough of idiot automatic-trans drivers, you have to fight passive aggressiveness with passive aggressiveness.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I was on the highway behind a Ferrari once and I had to pass it because they were driving like a grandma. I drive a Hyundai. I should not be passing a Ferrari for going too slow.

I get stuck behind newer MBZ and BMW all the time, and my car is a 30 year old economy car with zero mods. Maybe it's new and they're just babying it? I know whenever I drive a really nice car I granny it up a bit.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Aerofallosov posted:

I had a co-worker at the IT office who loved burned popcorn as a snack. The NOC had poor ventilation. I told him to stop because it was stanking all of us. :|

I had a coworker once in the 90s who burned the poo poo out of some popcorn, I mean entire blackened pieces, smoke, the works. We were all disgusted but then this guy walked in and said, "I'll take it, I love burned popcorn." This was not your average, run-of-the-mill burned popcorn. Chunks of it were blackened and fused together. It's been almost 20 years and I still have the image in my brain of him reaching in, delicately picking up a chunk of charred popcorn, blowing off the tiny flame, and popping it in his mouth.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom's work has a policy where no one can keep fish in the fridge or pretty much any kind of seafood. I think the next step is to ban popcorn.

Mine does too, at least in our building. Our break room is directly behind the reception desk and directly below the C-suite and the conference rooms where VIP guests go. If you want to heat up fish, you have to do it in the building where the caf (and, I suppose, regular un-fancy assholes) are.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know why it's so loving hard for people to be on time. I have an internet friend who was visiting my city from out of town, and she invited us to meet her at a restaurant at 8pm. The first person to arrive at the restaurant got there at around 8:30 -- the host herself arrived at 9. I was so annoyed.

edit: I arrived at around 7:45 just in case there were reservations (there weren't).

I had the same experience last year with a friend from out of town--reservation for a large party was at 6, so I got there at 5:45. Half an hour later, I'm still alone at a table for 16. When the guest of honor finally showed up, I chalked it up to her having two young kids and jet lag. But four times over the course of the weekend, same stuff kept happening. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been kept waiting in the sitting room of her crazy in-laws' house while her oldest kept poking me in the armpit and her in-laws kept badmouthing her under their breath.

And my boyfriend was kind enough to DD us that day, so he was left waiting outside in the car in 90 degree heat (AC on, but still). He was happier there than he would have been in the house, for sure.

I get that kids are a pain in the rear end, but four hour-long waits over the course of a weekend, that's not kids, that's just poor time management.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Sometimes I feel like I can't win with people.

I run a marathon. "You're going to destroy your knees! You'll break your hips and have a heart attack and DIE!!!!" My knees are fine. You know whose knees are not fine? Couch potatoes.

I start skydiving. "How can you jump out of a perfectly good plane?! What if your chute malfunctions? What if your BACKUP malfunctions?! What if you die what if what if what if?!?!?!" What if you are texting and driving and slam into someone and your seat belt breaks and your airbag explodes in your face and you die? These are things that are more likely than BOTH of my canopies failing on the same jump.

I want to apply to USAF JAG. "THE MILITARY IS FULL OF LIES THEY WILL GET YOU KILLED AND YOU WILL DIE HOW DARE YOU?!" Pretty sure the USAF JAG has had zero fatalities while on duty, but whatever, I've aged out so you win that one.

I move across the country. "But we will never see you waaaah!!!" There are these things called planes, just because you get on them doesn't mean you have to jump out.

I date someone who is not blindingly white. "But interracial relationships have XYZ problems, you'll be shunned by society, what will your grandmother think?" She is fine with it. Grammy's pretty chill, actually.

I do not get married. "But EVERY girl gets married!! Don't you want to have a big beautiful wedding?" No.

I do not have children. "But EVERY girl wants children! One day you're going to be sick of looking at germs under a microscope and want to have a couple of germs of your own! When the right guy comes along, you'll change your mind!" Did you ever stop to think for a minute that the right guy might not want kids either? Or that, perhaps, the right guy might be a girl?

I eat some tofu. "Plants feel pain too, you know!!" I'm sure they do, hey wait, which of us has earned a science degree? Oh wait, that's ME and I can tell you, no they do not, but cows, pigs and chickens do.

I don't weigh 200 pounds. "You need to eat a sandwich! What's that, a SALAD? What, are you on a DIET or something? You're already so SKIN-neeeee!" God forbid someone actually enjoy eating vegetables.

I know a lot of this comes from ignorance and complacence, and I'm trying to be patient, but if I hear "perfectly good plane" or "eat a sandwich" or "why would you want to do that?" again, I may lose my temper. Sadly, many of these bon mots have come from my dear mother, who I love very much, but it's getting really old.

ETA: I own a gun, too. Hilariously this is much more likely to get me killed than skydiving (although it's locked up in a safe and kept unloaded), but that's tooootally okay with the fam.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Sep 24, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Jastiger posted:

You need some new friends, god drat.

It's mostly my family. My friends are chill. I've already distanced myself from some of the more rabid family members, like the ones who have called my exes racial slurs, or called me a murderer for supporting Planned Parenthood, but my mom is generally awesome (just a worrywart) but I swear she'd be happier if I just sat on the couch for the rest of my days. She means well and I love her so it's not like I can completely cut her out of my life (if she used racial slurs and was anti-choice, I probably would, but aside from her own fears of skydiving etc. she's really supportive).

Honestly, it's sometimes strangers too. People just can't seem to resist commenting on a strange woman's lunch choices.

Basically if you do anything out of the ordinary ever, people act like you've lost your drat mind.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

pussy riot police posted:

Men who don't get the hint when you say "I have a partner. Yes I'm seeing someone"

Or when they respond to your polite "no thank you, I'm not interested" with a "what, you got a boyfriend or something?" What does it matter if I do, rear end in a top hat? I'm saying no and the reason is irrelevant.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Men who, when you tell them why you're not interested, try to talk their way out of it. I had a guy tell me he had a 6-year old, then when I said I didn't date guys with kids, he replied, "Oh, but she's not really in my life or anything!" :ughh:

"Well you sound like a GREAT guy, then! Let's date! This is not a red flag at ALL!"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again: smokers. They're probably the only people in the world who think it's acceptable to throw fiery bits of garbage out the window. Yet to the rest of us, picking a receipt, burrito wrapper, or old gum wrapper up, lighting it on fire, and throwing it out the window is completely not okay.

I got stuck behind one of these assholes on my way to work and it makes me irrationally angry. "What do you MEAN, put it out in my car?! I don't want my car smelling like smoke!" But it's okay for your breath, skin, clothes, hair, and lungs to be full of it? Smokers can go gently caress themselves.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

trickybiscuits posted:

Something I noticed a while ago is that women will walk into craft stores- the big fuckoff chain craft stores in the US like Michaels or something- take a cart, put their purse in the kids seat of the cart, and then go into the bead section. Keep in mind that beads are small. You can buy hundreds, maybe thousands, of beads without filling a shopping cart. I have seen this multiple times. The most recent time I actually came close to asking the woman why she had the cart to begin with. Not in a rude way, I'm genuinely curious. But she didn't look like she was in a very good mood, and it's pretty likely that the reason is so they have something to lean on while shopping because they are L-A-Z-Y.

When someone finds out I am on Obamacare and starts asking me about it, only to be disappointed when I don't say it's horrible and impossible to afford. This has happened twice and they could at least pretend to be happy that things worked out well for me. Instead they just get kind of quiet. If it happens again I don't know what I'll do. I'm not expecting to have it happen a third time but then I wasn't expecting to have it happen at all. Maybe I'll just be real happy instead of slightly apologetic . . .

And of course when my internet connection keeps going out. gently caress YOU INTERNET

I have health insurance through my employer now, but back when I was on the exchange I got great delight telling people I was alive thanks to Obama. It was a bit melodramatic--I'm susceptible to skin cancer and was finally able to get regular screenings through my insurance secured through the exchange, and my screens were negative--but I loved saying "THANKS OBAMA for my skin cancer screen!"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Today's peeve is brought to you by...me, really, as it is all my fault.

Speaking of no boundaries, there have been constant problems with our stakeholders at work. They plow into our offices regardless of if we're on the phone or with someone or have our door shut or are otherwise busy. I've been confronted in the bathroom with "WHERE'S MY CONTRACT?!" and hugged, literally full-on hugged, by a stakeholder in the cafeteria by someone who wanted to beg me to prioritize her work over others'.

My boss has put the kibosh on people doing stuff like this, going so far as to implement a policy wherein if they ask us to prioritize or rush something, we have to send it back to them and have their department head discuss it with ours to determine if it actually is high priority (hint: it never is, it's just people submit their poo poo too late). When they do this, it ends up taking them longer because department heads are hard to get to sometimes. This policy is starting to have positive effects, but there is one group of stakeholders who I swear think their work is most important (and honestly, their work IS what drives the company so they have to be handled with kid gloves). Here is a typical workday for me.

Assistant (ccing Person 1 and Person 2): Hey can you send this to Bob?
Me (reply all): Sure, just did
Person 1 (on the phone): hey, did you send that thing to Bob?
Me: yes
Person 2 (via email): Hey can you confirm that you sent this to Bob?

This happened three times last week, one of which was Friday, when I was sick and told them I wasn't going to be in that day.

And it's my own fault because I don't know how to say no to them. I email them back on my days off, I email them back late at night, I pick up the phone when they call me at 7 pm and I'm at work late trying to get something done because they've loving pestered me all day. Today I shut my door so they would leave me alone and not five minutes later I see one of them bobbing and waving to try to get my attention, and my stupid rear end opens the door.

So basically, my pet peeve is myself not drawing boundaries--and enforcing them--to people who have no respect for boundaries.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I thought of another one. When people on Facebook say something like "oh my mom is sick again please keep her in your thoughts" and people answer "prayers." No thoughtful "I'll be thinking of her," or "please let me know if I can do anything," or "oh I'm so sorry, PM me if you need to talk." All of which are perfectly empty sentiments, but they at least take a little effort, and if the person took them up on the offer, I'm sure they'd oblige. But people just say "prayers." I'm not religious, but do any of these people actually sit down and say a prayer for the person? It's about as thoughtful as a "like." It's an irrational irritation, for sure, but it bugs me. I can't comment on the person doing the asking, because when you're going through a hard time you want support, but the laziness of a one-word comment (and almost never any kind of punctuation, even) without even an offer of help or sympathy is really annoying to me. If this person is close enough to you that you'll offer a prayer to them, at least send them a message of condolence/hope/offer of help, or if you say you're going to pray, at least do.

And maybe they do, and I'm just cynical, but I doubt any of them put any thought into the person after they've made their comment.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

lidnsya posted:

What is that from?

I just remembered something about apples. I worked with this beautiful man that I barely ever talked to but who I was slightly in love with. And he would leave paper bag lunches in the fridge forever, and there was very often abandoned apples in them. And I thought, "If I was your wife, I would NEVER pack you an apple unless you asked for one."

Ha, my first thought would have been, gently caress you, make your own lunch then, ungrateful poo poo. SOR-REE for wanting my husband to eat healthy food.

Nuebot posted:

It's a god damned nightmare. Especially if you're the kind of person who doesn't really give a poo poo about becoming best buddies with your co-workers anymore and you just want to get your job and do it. I'm perfectly at home just sitting and working for hours in front of photoshop or whatever the hell they want me to because I just don't care anymore. I can do my job, I enjoy it and I'm not bad at it. But god help me if I haven't missed out on jobs before because my favorite activities weren't going out after hours of slowly blinding myself and getting smashed with a bunch of people I don't actually like. Is it really that hard to just maintain professional relationships for most people?

This is especially frustrating when you have other people around too because then it becomes a game of "Well what do you want" "I don't know what do you want" back and forth. I think I've finally figured out that I don't actually like to eat. If I could turn into a plant or a fungus and survive without having to make meals or something I would be the happiest person alive. Bonus points though if you ever go through the effort of planning a meal schedule or something but then every day poo poo happens to delay it and ruin your efforts.

I thought I was the only one! I mean, I get cravings sometimes, and can appreciate good-tasting, healthy food, but I hate the whole ritual of cooking and sitting down to dinner. It's annoying to me when people have a special occasion and the best thing they can think of to celebrate it is dinner. Like, okay, happy birthday, let's go chew for awhile. My issues with food are well-documented on these forums, so I'm sure some in here are thinking that's what this come from, and maybe it does, but part of me just gets bored thinking about meals all the time. If I want to do something fun, I'll go indoor skydiving, roller skating, dancing, hiking...anything besides passively sitting around shoving food in my face.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Dr Scoofles posted:

Dude, going out for dinner is the best thing in the world for fatigued home cooks. I'm the only one in my household who does the cooking and I get fed up with it, as well as the taste of my own style of cooking. Going out, or having a meal cooked for me is utter bliss because I get to eat food that I didn't have to plan, shop for, prep and wash up after that also is completely different from my cooking style.

Also, before even scrolling up to check the name I knew it was you. Are you eating well these days?

I know, I'm definitely in the minority here. People LOVE going out to dinner, or creating a beautiful meal at home, and I recognize that I'm weird about it. Probably at least part of it stems from my own eating issues. I certainly don't mind going out for people's birthdays--even if it's not something I would choose--because I have certainly dragged my friends out skydiving or to roller derby or arena football for MY birthday.

Things are better, honestly--I stopped having dinner with the boyfriend's parents all the time. The food his parents make is really good, high-quality food, but it's too rich, too much, and too much red meat for me to handle. So I started working late and staying out on the weekends (this happened organically because of work and hobbies, not so I could avoid eating) and he told them they should just go ahead and have meals without me. It's honestly made it a lot better now that I'm eating the food I want, on my own terms. And I'm not using it as an excuse to not eat--I usually have really big hearty lunches and was never much of a dinner person. I eat really healthy now (although occasionally will go nuts on a pizza or piece of cake), but not to orthorexia levels. Just a lot of salads, vegetables, lean protein, etc.

I'm not averse to eating--it's just a holdover from my disorder that if you remove all control from me (as in, making meals, setting portions, and getting mad if I don't eat it all), it doesn't go over well. Things are better now.

Anyway, sorry for the derail! I totally understand I'm the odd one here. I just am not a food person. Considering how "not a food person" is a step up from "anorexic," I'm okay with being weird.

I can understand how you'd enjoy going to dinner if you're used to doing all the food prep.

For content: There is this guy at work who's been a bit of a problem since day 1. I won't go into it because it's a long story, but one major peeve is he is on the phone ALL DAY. For reference, we do contracts--there's a lot of back and forth trading documents over email. We almost never get on the phone unless it's a conference call or we're experiencing a miscommunication via email that can easily be cleared up on the phone. I handle about 60 contracts on average, and most of them are complex, high-level, multi-million dollar clinical trials, and I only use my phone about once a day on average. But he calls every client and every external party about every contract he does--after he sends them the email containing the contract. For some reason he's not content waiting for an email response with edits--he HAS to call them right away and explain that he just sent them the contract, and that he wants to talk about the edits. Before they even have a chance to read it. He does this all day long, and he mumbles and rambles like a crazy old man, just loud enough to be distracting to everyone else. I can shut my door, but some of my coworkers don't have that luxury so they get to listen to him mumble on the phone all loving day. He's been asked multiple times to stop calling people all day long, but he still does it. This seems petty as I'm writing it, but in context (and I could write a book on all the other problems he's caused) it's just another reason I can't even deal with him right now.

Oh, and he's creepy. The shredder box is right outside my office. We have a fairly paperless office, almost everything is electronic, but he prints out everything he does and visits the shredder about ten times a day. Every time he does, he stares in my office and if I have the bad judgment to make eye contact he'll take that as an invitation to come and start a really intrusive conversation about what I'm doing, how is running going? Oh, I see you're eating your protein! (if I have food on my desk). Yeah I know my wife is all about the diet, I know about you women and your diets, hehehe, women amirite?

He just went to the shredder box as I wrote this. And he stared in to see if I would look up at him. I am managing to look like I am concentrating VERY hard on writing about this, so I certainly cannot be disturbed.

I'm not the only one who finds him creepy. If he wants to talk to you, he'll come to your office or cube, but he'll sneak up behind you to try to get a glimpse of your computer screen before saying hello. If I shut my door to get work done, as soon as I open it, he pounces "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING DID YOU GET A LOT OF STUFF DONE ARE YOU STRESSED CAN I HELP HERE I FOUND THIS BOOK ON MANAGING STRESS, YOU SHOULD USE IT" The ladies at the front desk have complained about him sneaking up on them too.

I was trying to keep it short, but I could go on forever about this guy. Basically, creepy people with no sense of boundaries are a pet peeve.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Aerofallosov posted:

I have a hard time eating around people because my mother would do stuff like randomly throw my food to the floor, take it and give it to my sister, put household cleaners in it and generally mess with my head.

But I do try to go out since I know it is strange.

Um. I think you have a perfectly good reason to be weird about food. I think you're a champ for even trying. Your mother is my pet peeve right now.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Actually while I'm whining about driving in Melbourne, requiring a pre-bought digital thingo instead of allowing cash on toll roads is a pretty slick way to keep out interstaters :)

On a completely different topic, some specific song lyrics that have been bugging me (probably moreso than reasonable because they're played over and over):
In that cover of "You Don't Own Me" from last year, while I can't recall the actual lyrics (it was rap), having objections to you being so proud of blatantly cheating on me that you're texting me a picture of the act != controlling misogyny. At all. Holy poo poo. And the rapper goes on to praise her personal strength because of it?

gently caress if I've discerned the actual name, I daren't assume it's part of the chorus, but in that recent Maroon 5 song:
"If I got l locked away
If we lost it all today
Tell me honestly
Would you still love me today?"
No? Why should I? You're in prison. Issues with the social justice systems of the world aside, that probably means that you're a criminal, and the reason for having lost it all. So why should I stick around?

...I've put way too much thought into this crap.
:goonsay:

Oh gently caress you for getting this song in my loving head. I hate this song but it sticks in my brain and is played ALL THE TIME. It's so terrible. Usually Adam Levine's voice is only mildly annoying, but this song makes me want to rip the stereo right out of my car. And the "skittleydongdongdongdang" part in the middle makes me want to punch a bitch. There are a lot of songs like that on the radio. Most of them I can make my peace with, but there are a lot of whiny bitches on the radio. Ed Sheeran, Rachel Platt, and Sam Smith, I'm looking at you guys. Quit whining, or if you must, please make a song that is not quite so catchy. I can tolerate it but when it won't get out of my head, it's unforgiveable.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Dumbest pet peeve ever, but this weekend I had a rough fall while landing a parachute and my knee KILLS but I will have nothing to show for it. The bruise is barely there, the swelling was only noticeable by me, but it hurt like a motherfucker. Dammit, if poo poo's gonna hurt, I want a cool bruise to look at too.

Related peeve: how loving hard it is to get the drat canopy back in the deployment bag. Have you ever tried to stuff a brand-new, slippery sleeping bag back into its container, which is equally slippery? Packing a parachute is like that. I seriously don't know how packers can do that 50 times a day. I have no idea how I'm going to be able to pack a jumpable parachute.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Spalec posted:

People asking me/my wife about our reproductive plans, especially if I've just met them. Like, I'll have just met a friend/coworker of her parents at a party or something and they immediately ask when we're going to have kids.

In what way is that an appropriate thing to ask? Especially if when we say "Not yet, maybe not ever" (which is our current opinion of kids) they say "Aww, I'm sure your parents want Grandchildren! You'll change your mind soon"

For all they know we ARE trying or just suffered a miscarriage or something else and it might be a very sensitive subject.

Thank god neither of our parents ever bug us about it.

Oh, god, this is so true. For everyone, singles and marrieds alike.

Me, age 17: I don't want kids.
:byodame: You'll change your mind when you're 25!

Me, age 25: I don't want kids.
:byodame: You'll change your mind when you're 30!

Me, age 30: I don't want kids
:byodame: You'll change your mind when you meet the right guy!

Me, age 32: I met the right guy...he doesn't want kids either.
:byodame: He'll change his mind when you get married!

Me, age 35: We're not getting married.
:byodame: What?! Everyone get's married!!!
Me: well, maybe that's part of the problem.

I have paid my dues--all through my teens and twenties I faced tremendous pressure to get married young and have kids. Not just from my family but from partners too. It got to me enough that I said yes to a proposal I should have said no to. I was always upfront--even if I left myself open to the possibility of kids, I was still saying "maybe, but probably not." But I kept attracting guys who wanted tons of kids. One of them called me selfish for not wanting them; another told me it was my duty as a woman to have his kids. I FINALLY meet a guy who respects what I want to do with my own body and life, and now people are on HIM to change HIS mind. I handled my own mother; I'm letting him handle his. Mine finally gave up on me when I turned 25 and gained old maid status. Now I can live my own life with minimal invasive questions, though I still get the "why aren't you engaged yet?" (I don't want to be) and "you're running out of time!" (so?) and "you can still adopt!" (I don't want to).

Holy poo poo people, just because you like kids doesn't mean everyone else does, too. I'm thrilled to find a guy who won't try to force his religious or family views on me, and all you can think about is how I'm shirking my duties of adding to the overpopulation problem? Come the hell on.

I can't imagine what it's like for marrieds. At least I have the excuse of "let me get married first." You guys have no excuses.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I'll be honest, and somewhat crazy, I'm starting to really not like pregnant women. Oh boy, you're pregnant! Congratulations on(most likely) willingly engaging in something that nearly half the population can do! Please stop yelling and screaming at old people who can barely stand up because you have to stand on the bus for five minutes until the next stop to get off. When I broke my foot a woman tried to shove me off of one of those handicap seats so she could take it. There was nothing wrong with her other than being in the middle of her pregnancy! If she'd walked a few feet back someone would probably have offered it to her.

I dunno, maybe I just run into a lot of assholes who think being pregnant makes them the most important person in the world or something. But it happens a lot, and I swear to god people here are in a continual state of pregnancy or something because I'll see the same faces time and time again with a growing brood of children and they just let them run around and scream because "Oh I'm pregnant :( it's too hard to manage all of them at once" Then leave them at home! Even when my sister was pregnant literally all she would talk about was her pregnancy. Every day for hours on end. Yes I got the memo, you told me all of this yesterday. And the day before. For months now.

You are not alone in this. Pregnant women, people with young kids, whatever, you stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours, it's fine. But holy poo poo some of them are SO entitled. Doesn't matter if it's a subway seat or a parking space or a table at a restaurant, some people just believe their choice to get and stay pregnant trumps everything everyone else has got going on. With your specific example of "I'm pregnant and can't handle them all"...if you couldn't handle them all what made you think adding another would be a good idea?! I swear people don't think when making life-changing major decisions.

I have zero interest in kids or pregnancy--when some little guy or girl is hamming it up and trying to get my attention I just look the other way. I know this makes me sound callous but I'm just a person trying to go about her day with a minimum of bullshit and don't really have the interest to entertain some strange child while the parent is cooing about how cute it is that they're "flirting" with the strange lady in line behind them. Most parents get this and try to deflect the kid's attention elsewhere, but some parents fume if you don't give Princess the attention she so obviously craves.

And of course every work function is a constant conversation about how many kids they have, what the kids are up to, what life is like with kids. I remember being trapped at the end of a long table full of work people listening to tales of some guy's wife's episiotomy. Having kids removes all semblance of propriety and manners sometimes. Never thought I'd say this, but can we talk about work instead?

Re: handicap chat. I would never dream of using a handicap space, ever--regardless of how few minutes I'm going to be there--but my question is about restrooms. Say all the regular stalls are full and no one else is around so I go in the handicap stall. Usually no big deal, but for the few minutes I'm in there I'm terrified that I'm going to come out to face an irritated person in a wheelchair. But if I don't go in, and a line forms behind me, I'm the rear end in a top hat holding everyone up because I don't want to go in the handicap stall. Would actual handicapped people weigh in on how they would feel if they came into the bathroom in such a situation?