Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
People who don't admit when they're wrong about something or when they did something wrong. My dad does this regularly and it's really annoying, I can't even remember the last time he said "sorry about [thing that he did]" or "yeah you're right [about an issue we were discussing]".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I like cooking, and often I do lunch / dinner parties for friends and family. Every time there's someone who, when I place a dish on the table, immediately reaches for the salt / pepper / oil / soy sauce / whatever.

No, gently caress you. First you taste what I've cooked, and then, if you feel it needs something extra, you add it. You do not add whatever to the dish before even tasting it :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Some people just like more salt (or whatever) than the average person, so they just know that if someone else cooked it they're going to want more salt. Why do you even care? It's not an insult for someone to have different tastes or preferences to you.

There are two main reasons.

One: what if I know that person likes their food more salty, and I specifically make it more salty? I once did that for a guest, who added even more salt before tasting, then complained about the food being too salty.

Two: it's just bad manners. If you add salt or whatever to a dish without having tasted it, it's as if you were saying "I know from the start that this dish isn't good enough."

I'm not a master chef by any stretch, I'm not even the best cook I know. But I really can't stand this. Taste your food, and then season it if needed. It's not that hard.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

People who it seems go out of their way to get in YOUR way when you're trying to get around :argh:

- When you get off an escalator, START WALKING, don't just stand there, there's a bunch of people riding behind you who can't stop because it's a fuckin' escalator;
- Regarding moving walkways: it's "stand on the right, walk on the left", not "stand wherever the gently caress you want so people cannot walk past you";
- I understand that you like to ride your bicycle, but why the hell are you ON THE ROAD when there's a perfectly good bike lane off to the side? You're just getting in the way of cars;
- Don't loving jaywalk. I can understand this when there are no pedestrian crossings nearby, but when there is one not ten metres from you, USE IT. And look both ways. You're going to get yourself killed some day, and it'll be horrible for everyone involved.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Guys, if you do a scientific presentation and you have graphs in it, label your axes.

Also, if you have two graphs in the same page, showing the same quantity but from two different datasets so you can compare them, use the same scale for those two graphs! :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

Moron drivers in cars who swerve outside of the lane to make a turn; i.e. make a wide turn; i.e. this:

You're not in a truck, why the gently caress are you doing this in a VW Beetle???? I swear to god a Beetle did this to me once and I was seriously dumbfounded.

I'm guilty of this. On my drive home there's a right turn from a two-lane street into a side road. The turn is so tight and the road so narrow that to make the turn safely you either have to come to a complete stop and do it in first gear, or do it from the left lane of the two-lane street. When I do it, though, I check super carefully that there are no cars behind me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

:stare: Jesus christ. I feel bad if I vacuum at 10am because what if someone is still sleeping somewhere in my apartment building, I couldn't imagine vacuuming at 1am.

Vacuuming at three am was what got my amazingly lovely upstairs neighbours evicted. It was basically the last straw, and all of the tenants except them went to the landlord and said "either they go, or we all go, and good luck finding twenty tenants on short notice in this economy."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Be on time you fuckers!!! :argh:

I'm waiting for a guy I have to meet for work, after waiting fifteen minutes past the scheduled time I called him. "Sorry, I forgot, I'll be there in an hour :v:"

No, don't worry, it's fine. It's not like I had other work to do, or like I woke up at half past five this morning to be on time to the meeting :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

People treating their high-beams lever as if it was a loving magic wand that can instantly clear the lane ahead of them.

Guess what, you dumbass? I'm not driving at half the speed limit just to annoy you, it's because I have someone in front of me who's doing that speed. They in turn have someone going slow ahead of them, and so on and so forth for miles and miles and miles. "Just move over to the other lane!" you might say, except that the other lane is 100% packed with no space to move in, and why do I have to move to a slower lane anyway since even if I did you wouldn't go any faster because of the huge line of cars going slowly in front of us?

Learn some patience, you fucker.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

People who don't know when to use a phone.

When I'm working and my phone rings I have to drop what I'm doing to take the call. It breaks my concentration, and afterwards I have to take two-three minutes to figure out where I was and start working again.

It's not like it's the nineties or the early 'aughts anymore, we have several ways to keep in touch (e-mail, text messages, instant messaging apps...) besides phone calls, so if you call me while I'm at work it better loving be something important that can't wait until I get off.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Online shops that don't put items in the correct categories. I'm looking for a swimsuit, went to the "swimsuit" section, more than half the page is underwear. Why :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

People who respond to an either-or question with "ok" or "alright" or something like that.

"Hey dude, how about that thing next week? Should we do it at your house or mine?"
"Ok."

"About the movie tonight, do you want to grab dinner before or after the show?"
"Alright."

NO that is NOT how it works :argh: give a clear answer, damnit! :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Donation? Nonation.

More like oldcharityless.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

At work:

Co-worker: "So, for the Smith project, I think we'll have to do this-and-that."
Me: "Yes, I agree, let's do this-and-that."
Co-worker: "Because you see, since this thing and that reason, therefore this-and-that."
Me: "Of course, I agree."
Co-worker: "Good, because the client said this, so therefore this thing and that reason, therefore this-and-that."
Me: "Yes, alright, we're on the same page here, I agree with you."
Co-worker: "Yes, because..."

Why does he have to turn a five-minute conversation into a thirty-minute conversation every bloody time? We've already agreed on how to do this thing, let's loving get to it!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

People defaulting to male pronouns when talking about someone whose gender they don't know. (This is mostly on the internet, where someone's screen name often gives no indication of their gender, but I've also seen it in real life for gender-neutral first names.)

It's 2019. The singular they has been a thing for a long while. Using male pronouns when there's a perfectly serviceable gender-neutral option is dumb and stupid, and besides it can be triggering for some folks. Just use "they", for gently caress's sake.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There’s a place I walk by almost every day and more than 50% of the time this annoying little poo poo dog zips out ACROSS THE STREET and starts yapping and nipping at my heels. It definitely belongs to people that live there because maybe 1/3 of the time they do the whole “aw jeez dog come back! Come back! I won’t make any effort except yell but come back!” This is not safe for your dog dipshits! I have never wanted to turn around and just kick the poo poo out of a dog more, but I remind myself “it is the people’s fault.”

DO NOT LET YOUR DOG RUN AROUND A CITY WITHOUT A LEASH

My cousin has a great dane. The dog is the sweetest girl, she's always ready for some cuddlying or playing. But she's also really big, as great danes tend to be.

Once we were walking through some woods and we happened across a cub scout camp, and the dog saw the kids, thought "Friends!" and happlily bounded off to play with them.

The scout leaders were super angry, and rightfully so. We had to explain to my cousin that it doesn't matter if her dog is the sweetest girl in the world, when someone sees a dog that size come running towards them, they tend to get nervous.

Keep your dogs on a leash, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is a surefire way to find hunt-and-peck typists, they never learned their own keyboard layout. When I need to type in French on my US keyboard (or rarely, English or French on some other one) I just set the input language to France french and bang away because I don’t need to scan to find ç or ê or whatever.

Related peeve. Italian keyboards have accented letters: éèòàùì. Only lower case, not upper case. There is no way to easily write uppercase accented letters.

Likewise, Italian keyboards do not have a way to write a tilde (this thing: ~, which I copypasted from Wikipedia). And yet there's a lot of software (like Discord, for instance) where tildes are used in a markup language, so I have to go look for the symbol and copypaste it ifI want to use the markup.