Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tiggum posted:

People who walk slowly. Specifically, when they're walking somewhere with me. If I'm walking somewhere with someone I always have to plan for it to take twice as long as it should, because no one can walk at a reasonable pace. And I don't think I walk particularly fast, it generally takes me about as long to get somewhere as Google Maps indicates. Is that not supposed to be a normal walking pace?

Some of us have short legs! I hate it when i'm walking with friends and all the tall guys with long legs are taking these huge rear end strides and I pretty much have to do this weird almost jog just to keep up with them.

Also assholes who are mean to cashiers. Those people suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

lenth

strenth

:argh:

"Libarry"

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Mikl posted:

I like cooking, and often I do lunch / dinner parties for friends and family. Every time there's someone who, when I place a dish on the table, immediately reaches for the salt / pepper / oil / soy sauce / whatever.

No, gently caress you. First you taste what I've cooked, and then, if you feel it needs something extra, you add it. You do not add whatever to the dish before even tasting it :argh:

OH MY GOD THIS. THERE IS ALREADY SEASONING ON IT. Now you've added a buttload of salt to something that already loving had salt. And now it's too salty.

Also anyone who puts ketchup on steak.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tiggum is my pet peeve.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

When it's at that weird temperature when you can't decide if you're hot or cold so you end up doing the jacket dance where you keep taking on and off your jacket.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My mother's stubborn belief in these goddamn naturopath horseshit peddlers and the utter nonsense they talk. Talking about "alkalizing your body" with lemon juice or vinegar, or systemic Candida infection (I swear to god this poo poo is the new gluten-free).

Any time I try to tell her it's crap and explain why it's crap (e.g. vinegar and lemon juice are acidic, not alkaline, and different parts of the body have different pH ranges they can safely operate at; a fungal infection in the blood is not a chronic malaise but a life-threatening medical emergency and the so-called candida diet is just another stupid fad diet) she just says she's not going to argue the point because I put too much faith in "allopathic medicine".

Which, if you didn't know, is the nonsensical term homeopaths and their ilk made up to disparage evidence-based medicine. So just be slightly wary of people who use that term, because chances are they've got some overpriced supplements to sell.

I love my mother, but she's so goddamn stubborn sometimes.

Oh my god. My boyfriend does this- I love him dearly, but he seems to think that honey is a miracle medicine. Got a serious cut? Honey. Depression? Honey. Flu? Honey. Eye ulcer? Honey.

He's very smart other wise but sometimes I just want to shake him and scream that modern medicine exists for a reason and does he think the pills I take every day are fake?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

"perf". I hate that loving word. "she's so perf" "oh that's perf" gently caress YOUUuuuu

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

EXAKT Science posted:

When people capitalize "lol"

LOL

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I've noticed people get really wonky if I order vegetarian or vegan food. I'm not a vegan because reasons, but I love vegan food, and if I'm going to eat a vegan soup or entree, I'm not going to put bacon on it just because it's there. Just because I am not vegan doesn't mean I have to eat meat for every meal. People can't seem to figure out that sometimes I just want vegetables because duh, they're good. And no, I'm not on a diet just because I like to eat vegetables. They taste good and they're good for me. What's the problem?

I hate this. I've been losing weight recently and all I hear from my family is that I'm starving myself, that I'm only eating rabbit food, blah blah blah. It's like, if I want to have a snack of delicious asparagus or a nice summer salad that is my business. I don't see how that hurts anyone else.

It's gotten way worse, too, because I'm eating actual normal portion sizes instead fo the massive portions I grew up on. My family seems to think I'm anorexic now, but I'm really not. I'm just tired of being fat.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So are question marks????

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I've got a handful of units near campus and as much as I'd love a full-on pet ban, for the three- and four-bedrooms, the first thing potential renters ask about is our pet policy. Our lawyer advised imposing a ludicrous non-refundable pet fee and charging monthly "pet rent" as deterrents to weed out the shitheads. That works well most of the time, but once in a while I'll get a trust fund kid who doesn't bat an eye at writing a check for first month+last month+deposit+pet fee equal to three months' rent+pet rent on lease day.

That said, I do reduce the fee and eliminate the extra pet rent if they've owned the pet(s) for at least a year and provide the pets' medical records showing consistent care/vaccinations/etc. and allow me to speak with their vet about the pets. If there's any mention of "suspicious injuries" or neglect, deal's off. I'm not having that poo poo in my goddamn units; I'm not a slumlord.

I got really stringent about the rules after letting one gal and her new puppy rent a four-bedroom that I'd just re-carpeted. A puppy can do horrible things to carpet in the span of 12 months if it's not properly housetrained.

I wish there was stronger legislation about who can buy a dog or cat and when. What sucks is that the picky, finicky pet providers are inevitably no-kill shelters who will call your landlord, your boss, your bank, come inspect the house the pet will be living in, etc. A puppy mill's only requirement is that you pay for it--it doesn't matter if you're 17 and living on your own for the first time and just getting a puppy because OMG CUTE!! :(

I feel so bad for those pets. I got my grumpy old man cat from a laundry basket in front of safeway because some assholes wouldn't spay/neuter their pets and as such decided to dump the poor kittens in a laundry basket outside on the hottest day of the year because they didn't want to pay the 25$ fee to have the no kill shelter take them. So I grabbed Momo and called the shelter and gave them 25$ myself because gently caress those guys. Poor little kittens didn't deserve that.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There are some things I won't talk about on these forums, and my pets are one of them. You can post in a derailed obscure-rear end page 7 Soul Calibur 1 thread in Games about how one time two years ago your dog ate a piece of celery, and that pet derail will turn into a loving extinction-level event.

I don't read it--is the whole PI subforum like that? Or is there just a handful of really obnoxious posters who insist relentlessly that their ways of pet care are correct?

Most of PI is pretty chill, actually. At least the bits I've seen. As long as you're not a goddamn idiot and try to feed your cat a vegan diet or abuse your animals, people there are really chill. There's always a few shitposters in any forum, though.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know you did. :) I just wanted to expand on it for people who were unaware of the dangers their cat might pose to other species. There was this whole great big discussion about how the cat might get sick or die and only a single person briefly mentioned the wildlife impact.

Back on topic: People who humblebrag about the dinner they just made on Facebook. "What did you guys make tonight? I'm feeling lazy so I just whipped up a little pumpkin risotto with a Parmesan reduction and some slow-cooked short ribs with a kale and walnut salad. Ugh I need to go to the grocery store so badly!" Yes okay I totally believe this is just another meal that you make for yourself every evening.

On the flip side, people who seem to take pride in the fact that they still eat like toddlers. "Cheese pizza and hotdogs again tonight! Love the classics :) ". I have a facebook friend who literally just posts pictures of her bland rear end beige food every day like it's some achievement to eat like a picky child.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Oh god my mom is a cig thrower. I hate it so much. I hate the fact that she smokes in general, but the way she just throws her butts anywhere she drat well pleases just sets me off.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Live recordings of songs that include a full minute of the audience cheering and clapping before and after the song. This bothers me the most when a song like that comes on when I'm listening to Pandora since I don't want to waste a skip on it but I also don't want to sit and listen to a room full of idiots cheering and clapping when I want to listen to music.

Or ones where there's like five minutes of the band talking to the crowd. I'm sure it was super cool if you were there, but it's just pissing me off.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Speaking of grocery stores...

This is petty, but this happens fairly often to me and it bugs.

When I put groceries on the conveyor belt, I place them down in separate groups so that certain categories of items will be bagged together. The categories are: Frozen Food, Refrigerator Food, Dry Food, and Everything Else. This is because I live in a 3rd floor apartment and it's a trek carrying my groceries up there from the parking lot, so if I have to make two trips, I want to be able to easily grab the bags with the perishables and leave the rest of the bags of unperishables in the car for later.

So how is it that when I get home and open the trunk to get the groceries, they're all mixed up in different bags? Why is my milk in the bag with the laundry detergent? They weren't anywhere near each other on the belt! Why is there cat food with the fresh vegetables? Why are my popsicles with the paper towels? No no no!

Now I have to spend a few minutes in 90 degree heat separating everything properly and meanwhile my popsicles are melting. :qq:

Pretty much this, only at one of the grocery stores I go to there's this one bagging person who I hate, because he never, ever, ever uses his goddamn brain. I'll bring my reusable bags. He'll say "okay! :downs: " and then pack everything into placstic bags anyway. So I don't bring my reusable bags, whatever. But then he goes even more pants on head stupid and bags like he's been lobotomized.

Heavy items stuffed into as few thin plastic bags as possible, none double bagged. Light items double bagged with only one or two light items in each. And god forbid if I say "oh, that's fine I don't need help thanks" then he gets all but hurt and pouts and whines that it's his job and he's gotta do it, so I point out any of the other cashiering lines that don't have a bagger present and he ignores me and keeps shoving my items willy nilly into bags. Goddamn I wish they'd fire that kid. Or at least keep him away from me.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I think the only thing that could eventually make em snap and kill my SO if the fact that he eats with his mouth open. Apparently it's automatic and he doesn't realize he's doing it, but every time he does I just want to grab his jaw and close it and show him manually how to chew with his goddamn mouth closed.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Annointed posted:

Mine is when people ask me where X thing is. Now it doesn't sound bad, but any time anyone says it to me it's always with things I handled, or they believed I handled several days after I handled it. Of course I'm not going to know exactly where you put your gift cards, yes I used them as you requested it but I can't remember what I have for breakfast, much less what happened to your card weeks after I'm done using it for you.

This, only instead of items they've lost or whatever it's things they think I've broken because I used it once three years ago and obviously that means I broke it. I didn't break your lovely computer, I haven't used it in nearly a year and you download horrible adware on it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Arrath posted:

I've run Windows with the task bar set to auto hide forever. I just do, I like it that way. What I don't like is that occasionally (often) something* will get 'stuck' and it won't auto hide, it just sits there like a normal task bar. But since it's set to auto hide the computer happily extends windows below the ever present, always on top task bar. Usually hiding helpful controls situated along the bottom of said window.

*I'm assuming its things in the notification area, like Windows Update popups, "This device is safe to remove", etc. Its just annoying as all hell and no, I won't give up my auto hiding task bar.

if you like the auto hidden task bar because you like minimalism, I suggest takinga look at rainmeter. It's a thingy that changes the look of the os to be whatever you customize it to, it's pretty fuckin' rad. I have it and I've made it so everything's super minimalistic and clean. http://rainmeter.net/ give it a look, maybe it'll help your pet peeve sadness.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

hey ladies and gents, just a quick public service announcement, because it's one of my pet peeves- you can add people to your ignore list. I loving hate it when people are like "ugh [insertposterhere] shut up you are the worst" and it's a ten page fuckign derail. There is a thing where you go to the person's profile and loving ignore them and then they can just yell into the void like an idiot all they want, and there's no six page derail. gently caress sake, people. how does everyone not know this?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

When you have a spikey rear end booger that tries to stab you in the brain

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

pussy riot police posted:

On that note, fake pockets are the worst.

Agreed so hard.

When people say bless you before you sneeze.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

When people say anything about your relatively normal act of sneezing.

Uuuugh, yes. My bf sneezes like a nuke going off and I sneeze like someone squeezed a squeaky toy, and without fail, if one of us sneezes, people will come out of the loving woodwork to tell us how weird we sneeze. I AM AWARE THANK YOU I DO NOT NEED YOUR COMMENTARY.

Also my current pet peeve: people who take 60 years at the checkout. Dude you're buying booze you know they're gonna card you just get your ID and poo poo out while you're waiting your turn, gently caress.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Baldbeard posted:

How some people feel the need to say something or make some kind of big gesture every time they pass by you.
I pass by the same guy at work all day and he always says, "Hey! How's it going?" At first I'm like "Hey, good", and then like 50 times later in the same day I'm reduced to barely lifting my eyebrows.

Usually the same kind of people who throw out "I mean, am I right???" all the time when telling stories. Yes I acknowledge you. Please stop.

Ohhhhh god, I hate those people. They are just the worst. There's this one chick who comes to my friend's parties sometimes and every time she talks she just has to say "right" or "yeah?" at the end of every sentence, but it's not just a rhetorical quirk. She actually expects people to reply to it. Like, c'mon, I'm obviously holding a conversation with you, don't loving make me acknowledge every single loving sentence you say.

My pet peeve today- people who cannot get their poo poo in order in the grocery store. They know they're going to have to pay for their groceries, they've had to have done this before, they have to know that at some point that money is gonna have to be handed over, so why in the absolute christing gently caress can they not get their money out before hand? Just get the loving money out! It makes everything go smoother because instead of making everyone stand around all day waiting for your lazy rear end to get your money out and dig around in your purse/wallet for coupons or whatever we could already be the gently caress out of here. I don't want to wait in line for ten minutes if I don't have to, I just want to get my dinner and go home.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

I guess overbearing Midwestern mothers are my pet peeve.

Mine too. I've never gotten the oversharing thing, either. My boyfriend has to discuss literally everything with his mother, including everything in my life. At one point, she showed up to my house to lecture me about not eating organically.

I love him, but goddamn does his mom make me give that whole family the side eye.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Parasol Prophet posted:

There are some medications that, at least in the US, you have to call in to your doctor yourself, physically go pick up the paper yourself, and bring the paper to the pharmacy, every time you need it refilled. The only ones I know of are certain painkillers and Adderall. Some of them you're not even allowed to get a 90-day prescription for, it has to be monthly.

It's annoying.

Yup. Got tramadol from my dentist, I had to get a paper script, take it to the pharmacy, and wait the hour it took to get it filled for 'safety reasons". Extremely annoying when you've got a gaping hole in your face from getting wisdom teeth taken out.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I loving hate it when I bite into a sunflower seed and it's all gross and tastes like sour rear end. Why is there always one loving seed that tastes like satan's sweaty taint? Is it a rule? Does every single loving bag of sunflower seeds have to have lucifer's fleshy fun bridge flavored seeds in it? Why?

I am loving mad about this.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Why must my nail polish chip within a day of me putting it on? It's not like I do very intense work with my fingers on a daily basis- the most I do is cook and clean. Doing the dishes shouldn't chip four of my finger's nail polish to poo poo. I just want pretty nails, damnit! :argh:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Ha, I should mention, I was living with my best friend in a high rise apartment on 9/11, and she was convinced our apartment building would be the next target, because it would send a message that no one is safe even in their homes. I asked her to explain why our apartment building and not the thousands of others, and she'd splutter some paranoid rambling....

Then, when the anthrax letters were sent to Congress, she wouldn't let our apartment maintenance people change the air filters in our unit, because she was convinced that would lead to us getting anthrax. And I would say, "Okay, so in the case that terrorists decide to target our random apartment building for their next anthrax attack, how does having clean air filters put us at more risk than having dirty ones?" And she'd just plead with me to just go with it, okay???

Fast-forward to 2003 and the DC Sniper is killing people all over the place, and my friend has moved to Indiana while I'm still in DC, I'm living my life as usual and she's sending me daily emails to check in with her to prove that I'm still alive, telling me to get my groceries delivered so I don't have to leave the house. (I guess the poor delivery guys are fair game?)

So, my pet peeve is people who let their psychological issues spill over into other people's lives. Speaking as someone who has had anxiety and depression for 25 years, my motto has always been, "Contain your poo poo." Be as paranoid as you want in your own life, but do your absolute best to keep it from impacting others.

Oh my god, this. I have mental issues, too, but I try to keep from burdening anyone else with my broken brain, and I will never understand people who foist their poo poo on others. Anxiety is tough but for god's sake get it together.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Related: line bunching, where everyone's so anxious to get to the end of the line that people kind of squish together now and then, apparently to provide the illusion of progress, though the only real effect is to make you extra conscious about where you're resting your hands.

Oh god, the other day I was standing in line at the grocery store and this chick behind me was standing so close I could feel her breath on the back of my head. It was super, super uncomfortable. Why? You're gonna have to wait the same amount of time to check things out, I gotta get my groceries.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who stir their drink AND THEN PUT THE WET loving SPOON IN THE loving SUGAR. gently caress THOSE PEOPLE WITH A RAKE LOOK AT THE STATE OF THE SUGAR. DO YOU THINK GIANT HARD BOOGERCLUMPS OF SUGAR IS OKAY? IT ISN'T.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

The fact that my avatar changed. I miss my goose moose. :(

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Colds. They're the stupidest, most annoying minor sickness I get. It's always the same- my nose is clogged on one side, running like a man on fire on the other side, I feel generally bleh and my throat has a slight but not quiet enough to call it sore soreness to it. And it's impossible to make it go away faster. I just have to wait around until the loving thing is good and ready to gently caress off out of my body. Ugh.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

much gracias for the link, friend. I am another person who can't seem to keep plants alive unless they're cacti.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

cyberia posted:

Ugh, listening to people talk about nutrition in that weird witch-doctor, voodoo way is so goddamned frustrating. I have two housemates, both girls in their early 20s, and the other day they were discussing food and talking about how sugar is basically granulated poison and gluten is the devil and rah rah rah. They both eat like poo poo but you better believe they spend a ton of money on organic veggies and other hippy nonsense that then rots in the fridge while they eat takeaway and junk food most days.

Life is too short to obsess about food, especially if you're not actually educated about things beyond reading Facebook macros and ~inspirational~ posts on Instagram. Eat balanced meals, don't eat things if they make you feel sick, exercise more. That's it. That's the goddamned secret code to ensuring the horrible pile of meat that is your body is running at an optimal level.

Oh god, these people. My boyfriend's mom is one of those anti-vaxxers who think that depression can be solved by eating organic and taking a tablespoon of honey every night. Yes, she actually said that to me. She also says that if you eat anything that's not natural it'll fill you with "toxins" and that sugar is basically formaldehyde. And she knows all this because she was a nurse and saw that doctors and hospitals don't work.

I feel really bad for her previous patients.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Processed food has ~toxins~."

"What are toxins? Do you even know?"

"...they're what processed food has."

Pretty much. Granted, I could stand to eat better, but not eating expensive organic food isn't the reason I have depression. She told me it was because I'm malnourished and that if I do a cleanse and eat just organic food I'd "come right out of it". I love my boyfriend, but goddamn is his mother crazy.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tiggum posted:

You bought a colouring book for an adult. She probably thought it was a joke gift. Who the gently caress buys a colouring book for an adult?

I actually got some for christmas, and they're amazing. I have PTSD and having something to do/focus on when I'm having a bad day really helps. The repetitive act of coloring in mandalas in the book makes me feel a lot calmer after a while.

Plus they're fun.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

CrotchDropJeans posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat complaining about getting gifts, but I hate that thing people do where you mention offhandedly that you like something once, and that becomes Your Favorite Thing Ever Forever in their eyes and they deluge you with themed gifts around this thing you aren't really that into.

Me too, man. When I was 5, I said that cats were my favorite animal. Now, at 25, I'm still getting cat-themed gifts. I mean, I like cats, but not enough to put a fuckton of statuettes of them everywhere. I'm 25, not 60.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

People who can't stand still.

I'm sorry man, this is me. I have ADD and if I don't move, I can't concentrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I keep getting this too. I mean, work can be a drag sometimes but a week and a half out was plenty, I was glad to be back. I missed my routine and my colleagues, plus there's not much to do where my mom lives, so I had plenty of time to dwell on my broken relationship.

I hope you feel better soon, dude.

My pet peeve is that awkward moment when you try to shake someone's hand you've just met and they're socially dead so they don't know how so instead they give you the weakest dead sparrow handshake ever. Just shake my hand, it's not hard.